550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke2578

pavelpp. If you want to use totally free programs on a PC, you can use Gimp to do the raw conversions to a sequence of stills, such at BMP, TGA or JPGs
http://www.gimp.org/

You can then download Virtualdub and open the sequence of stills by clicking on the first still and it should load up the sequentially numbered stills as one video. Go to the Video option in the menu and change the frame rate to 24. In the same menu (Video), choose what compression you'd like to use and then save the file as an AVI.
http://www.virtualdub.org/

If using a Mac, just do the same thing with Gimp but use something like Quicktime Pro to open an image sequence and choose a frame rate of 24. Encode the file using the Quicktime Pro export options.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: pavelpp on May 26, 2013, 01:47:36 PM
I don't have adobe after effects. Is there another option?

If you have Windows, then -> RAWanizer ! --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0  ;D
If you have other systems, I dunno  :-\
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

pavelpp

sorry, forgot to mention that I am on Mac

qsara

overall, I'm pleased with the results, tomorrow I'll try to capture more RAW footage. its nice to resize and get rid of the Noise on After Effects CS6, processing a bit slow but its because of my CPU (i5 2450M) & GPU (Adobe doesn't support 7670M).

Currently my processing workflow is like that;
Capture RAW at 960x320 (only stable one on my 550D & 45MB/s sandisk extreme)
Export frames using Raw2dng.exe
import them to After Effects
color correct using Adobe RAW plugin
resize and render as tiff or h264 for final result.

deleted.account

@mk11174, finally having chance to try your 550d build out, 960x540 2.35:1 ie: 960:408 is about the best I can get, Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s or 45MB/s makes no difference as discussed previously, which is fine. :-) Doing the buffer test gave me no more than 21.8 MB/s at it's occasional best.

But I have a couple queries.

1. I'm using a dedicated SD card for raw video, 960:408 is the largest resolution, aspect ratio is ok so it would be great not to have to keep going in and setting 'RAW video' to ON, then choosing resolution, then choosing Aspect Ratio whenever I switch the camera off and on between shots.

2. It's great to have the overlays, raw histogram, focus peaking and crop marks then switch to clear overlays for recording. But is there any chance of keeping crop marks on, trying to judge where the letterbox is for keeping framing is difficult. :-)

Going to try your Auto ETTR build next, thanks for your continued work for the 550d owners. :-)

3pointedit

y3llow I still haven't bitten the bullet.  :-[ How many frames are you able to record? Continuous or just a buffer dump? What are you processing with?
550D on ML-roids

deleted.account

Hi 3point, sorry yes should have said, that's 'continuous', 500 - 600 frames or more before I stop rather than camera stopping. :-)

Processing wise, if I go from dng's then RAWTherapee as Darktable crashes with the dng's, need to mention it to the DT devs or have been using dcraw directly to 16bit Tifs various colorspaces, which DT then handles no problem.

Then I think possibly image sequences into Blender, edit and frameserve out through Avisynth for temporal noise reduction, luma sharpening, upscaling and encoding via x264. Or proxys via kdenlive to intermediate -> Avisynth -> x264.

antoinecormier

Hello !
So I've tried your latest version mk11174, and I may have found a way to use the actual RAW rec module, a way that suits my needs...
I'm not really pleased by the 960x408 resolution, to my mind we are losing too much sharpness.
That's why I go 1120x374 (3:1 aspect ratio, Yep, I know that's an ultra wide ratio  ::)...) and It manages to work without frame skipping !
But you have to set your FPS override to 23 fps (prefer "exact" in the FPS override settings, It seems to run better...).
The difference between 24 and 23 is hardly discernible.

Anyways, when you scale the RAW image to 1920 the results are pretty good in terms of sharpness, and you have control over the RAW possibility ! The "landscape" still miss a bit of sharpness but at least you gain the benefits of the huge dynamic range !

Here are some screenshots

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvucbjcgt9wj665/first%20screen.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9tkll47esccswt/large.png

Have a nice day !

CFP

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 26, 2013, 12:35:33 PM
Where is to set this "SRAW" parameter ? Canon or ML ? And where ? Many thanks !
On my EOS 600D it's only in the Magic Lantern menu. It's in the "Shoot" tab. The setting is labeled "Pic Quality". Setting it to "SRAW" does the trick for the 600D. But you have to reboot the camera to see the effect.

But maybe it's one of the functions of ML that are disabled at the moment? If that's true, then it should be renabled. It's all about buffer size and write speed. And even a couple Megabyte more buffer will make a huge difference in how much frames you can get.

Since every camera seems to have a "Pic Quality" setting that increases the buffer size (e.g. "SRAW" for 600D = 30 MB more, "JPEG" for 60D = 94 MB more), the 550D should have one too. You just have to find it and I'm sure you'll get almost the same performence as the 600D.

mk11174

Quote from: y3llow on May 26, 2013, 03:59:53 PM
2. It's great to have the overlays, raw histogram, focus peaking and crop marks then switch to clear overlays for recording. But is there any chance of keeping crop marks on, trying to judge where the letterbox is for keeping framing is difficult. :-)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c5c07edkkdzfkjz/ML_Raw_Fps_Ettr_Crop.rar
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

deleted.account

mk11174, thanks for latest build, I got to apologize  :-[ , the 'cropmarks' was wrong term, I meant the white rectangle that's on screen showing the 'crop' area for the 960x540 2.35:1, it disappears with 'Clear Overlays', sorry and thanks again.

luke2578

Here's a video test I've made using raw video at 1280 x 720 (getting around 21 frames at a time using a 7dayshop.com class 10 SD card) and a longer sequence of images at 960 x 540 (around 62 frames at  time). I haven't tried lower resolutions as yet.

https://vimeo.com/67002231

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: CFP on May 26, 2013, 05:58:03 PM
On my EOS 600D it's only in the Magic Lantern menu. It's in the "Shoot" tab. The setting is labeled "Pic Quality".

Many thanks ! Unfortunately this menu item is not present in ML on 550D, full version (not the ripped-one for raw video).
Perhaps it's a feature useable only on 600D and other models, or it's simply not enabled on 550D... do some experienced developer can shed light on this ? Many thanks !!

Pharinen

Quote from: antoinecormier on May 26, 2013, 04:20:54 PM
Hello !
So I've tried your latest version mk11174, and I may have found a way to use the actual RAW rec module, a way that suits my needs...
I'm not really pleased by the 960x408 resolution, to my mind we are losing too much sharpness.
That's why I go 1120x374 (3:1 aspect ratio, Yep, I know that's an ultra wide ratio  ::)...) and It manages to work without frame skipping !
But you have to set your FPS override to 23 fps (prefer "exact" in the FPS override settings, It seems to run better...).
The difference between 24 and 23 is hardly discernible.

Anyways, when you scale the RAW image to 1920 the results are pretty good in terms of sharpness, and you have control over the RAW possibility ! The "landscape" still miss a bit of sharpness but at least you gain the benefits of the huge dynamic range !

Here are some screenshots

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rvucbjcgt9wj665/first%20screen.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9tkll47esccswt/large.png

Have a nice day !
What build you're using?

This? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg40579#msg40579

I tried to record 1120x374 @ 23 fps, but I only got 62 frames..

BTW 960x408 @ 23.976 fps seems to be very stable, I just recorded almost 7GB(~11 000 frames) file.

I'm using Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s card.

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: Pharinen on May 26, 2013, 09:09:58 PM
BTW 960x408 @ 23.976 fps seems to be very stable, I just recorded almost 7GB(~11 000 frames) file.

But... how the 4Gb limit problem was solved here ?!?!? 7Gb file ?!? Are you sure ?!?  :o

pavelpp

It must be my Toshiba card, it says 60MB/s write speed, but I still can't get more than 20 fps stable in 960x408

Pharinen

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 26, 2013, 09:15:07 PM
But... how the 4Gb limit problem was solved here ?!?!? 7Gb file ?!? Are you sure ?!?  :o
I recorded ~5GB and 7900 frames file just a moment ago

So yep, I'm 100% sure:

[spoiler][/spoiler]

CFP

You can bypass the 4GB limit if you format your SD card as exFat.
Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on May 26, 2013, 07:21:38 PM
Many thanks ! Unfortunately this menu item is not present in ML on 550D, full version (not the ripped-one for raw video).
Perhaps it's a feature useable only on 600D and other models, or it's simply not enabled on 550D... do some experienced developer can shed light on this ? Many thanks !!
I don't know if this feature should be available on the 550D ...

It wasn't supposed to change the buffer size but to allow taking raw stills with low resolutions.
I accidently found out that it has an affect on the size of shoot_malloc - The buffer that is used to store the raw frames :D

As far as I know some of the more expensive cameras like the 7D have this feature even without ML. So maybe it's just for the 600D at the moment ...

Well, I searched a little bit in the Magic Lantern forum and found some interesting quotes:

Quote from: a1ex on July 29, 2012, 11:28:14 AM
I'd rather try this kind of experiments on 60D in C mode, where settings are not saved to ROM. But the 60D already has MRAW/SRAW... [...] You can save MRAW/SRAW from 550D, but nobody was able to develop these files. [...] On 550D, the user interface gets corrupted when enabling MRAW/SRAW. [...] Be careful: setting one property may cause other properties to be changed.
Quote from: 1% on July 31, 2012, 07:06:05 PM
Is it still in the code? Maybe I can try it again?
(Source: 10mp raw picture option for xxxD's)

To me it looks like 1% had some kind of success. The raw images I get in SRAW and MRAW actually are smaller ... Although they still won't open in Lightroom.
But what's more exciting about this is that it did exactly what a1ex suspected. It changed one other propertie: The shoot_malloc size!

But maybe a1ex disabled it for the 550D since it's seems to be very buggy and it didn't work anyway? I think you should ask a developer to renable it.

Btw. here is how it should look like: Shoot tab on 600D

aombk

i am very pleased by the results of 4:3 640*480 raw when shooting with a 2x anamorphic lens
stretching horizontally and getting 1280*480

http://postimg.org/image/7o1xbkj1z/
although its out of focus or motion blured

antoinecormier

Quote from: Pharinen on May 26, 2013, 09:09:58 PM
What build you're using?

This? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg40579#msg40579

I tried to record 1120x374 @ 23 fps, but I only got 62 frames..

Hello Pharinen !
To answer you : I'm using the same card as you, the Auto ETTR build (the one that you pointed out). The only things that are enabled are the RAW Histogram, the FPS Override (23 fps) and the Raw Rec Module. I've disabled the sound recording, and I've enabled the "Hack Mode" (that seems to do absolutely nothing...)

Have you tried to set your "FPS override" to a lower fps (22, or even lower) ?
I manage to shoot continuously at 23 fps. The maximum frames I've recorded must be something like 2000 frames.

My build version and my way of using it have nothing special, I'm afraid that I can't help you...

The next step would be to enable the SRAW choice, don't know If It could improve the raw recording, but It may help us in enabling more stuff !

Oh, And I've noticed something pretty weird and I don't know if something can be done about that :

The write speed goes down and then goes up and down again... It's not constant and varies A LOT (20mo/s and then 18mo, 16, 15, 21, etc...). I've read somewhere that wthe the Sandisk 95mo/s this speed stays at 20ish mo/s and doesn't vary.

Is it true ? If yes, the 45mo/s Sandisk card could manage to get the same results one day ? Or is it something more complicated ?

Anyways, thanks all for the efforts you put into hacking our 550d !

Have a nice day !

aombk

anyone tried the lv_rec module? what does that do?

CFP

Quote from: aombk on May 27, 2013, 02:01:28 PM
anyone tried the lv_rec module? what does that do?
lv_rec was the predecessor of the current raw_rec module.

It wasn't really great. If even the much faster raw_rec doesn't work properly on the 550D then lv_rec will be completely useless ;)

And lv_rec was mainly for recording 422 video, not raw.

dlrpgmsvc

Do this raw video for 550d is 14 bit and 422 or 14 bit 444, really ?

aombk

ok so is there any way that raw_rec records the whole lv (even in small resolutions) or it only works in "crop mode"?

Shawn_Lights

I get continuous recording at 1120x374 at 22fps (using FPS override)