550D/T2i raw video recording port official thread

Started by dlrpgmsvc, May 22, 2013, 12:11:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glubber

Yep... For the 550D the nightlies are up to date!

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins/job/550D.109/164/artifact/platform/550D.109/magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Jan09.550D109.zip

Even MLV-Raw is now included.
If you are looking for special features like the bolt-trigger or Tragic-lantern-stuff i guess you have to search for other sources.
EOS 550D // Sigma 18-200 // Sigma 18-70 // Canon 10-18 STM

dafassi

I think developing for the EOS550D has been stopped, hasn´t it?

dlrpgmsvc

Quote from: dafassi on January 14, 2014, 08:38:57 PM
I think developing for the EOS550D has been stopped, hasn´t it?

It apparently seems so...  :-\
If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

mk11174

Quote from: dlrpgmsvc on January 08, 2014, 09:44:01 PM
I was used to download the latest builds from MK11174 here : https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/
But now it says it's a dead link ! Do we must now follow the normal nightly builds link for 550D ?
Many thanks in advance for the clarifications !  ;-)
Yeah, sorry, I had to delete the repo where it was, but the nightly is up to date anyway so it runs just fine and so does mlv_rec with sound, which is cool. So just use nightly and your 550D will work great, I dont use nightly but it is same source I just compile myself.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

dlrpgmsvc

If you think it's impossible, you have lost beforehand

holytriangle

Hello guys! Please check the short movie made using ML's RAW Plugin. Canon 550D.

andy kh

short film made with canon 550d mlv raw(i used only one lens -kit lens)

5D Mark III - 70D

mikhail

Hi. I have a short film upcoming so i want to shoot on Raw.

I need the 1728 x 736 anamorphic 2.35:1 on my 550D
it says here that i need to provide 51.8MB/S write speed to shoot at 24 fps.

So 80mb/s Sandisk Extreme 32GB have the capacity to write 60mb/s.

my question is, it going to work? I really need this card for my project.
I want to ask first just to make sure. :(

Thank you.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: mikhail on February 03, 2014, 05:40:24 AM
Hi. I have a short film upcoming so i want to shoot on Raw.

I need the 1728 x 736 anamorphic 2.35:1 on my 550D
it says here that i need to provide 51.8MB/S write speed to shoot at 24 fps.

So 80mb/s Sandisk Extreme 32GB have the capacity to write 60mb/s.

my question is, it going to work? I really need this card for my project.
I want to ask first just to make sure. :(

Thank you.

No it will not work, max speed the 550D can write is ~21 MB/s.
Even if you have a 100 MB/s card it cannot go over 21.

Jacknife

Hi guys,

Hope all of you are doing well.

I have recently setup ML with the recent NB and it seems to work just fine. However, I come to shoot raw and my nightmare begins. First of all, the cropped area which makes it extremely difficult to control focusing on the subject and second of all the size. I have been researching for days for the best/recommended settings for (ML and Camera settings) to shoot raw video. I have seen people shoot with the same camera (Canon 550D) and came up with brilliant results. How did they achieve that? What was their settings? How could they get such big frame and shoot in raw?

My question would be, what are the most recommended settings in ML to use? (Reso, Buffer, FPS...etc.) I understand the other cameras can perform better but I am on a low budget now and cannot afford buying another camera. Please someone provide me with the most recommended settings or options to choose in ML.

I appreciate your help in advance! Help me bros :(

BrotherD

Quote from: Jacknife on February 04, 2014, 11:31:56 AM
Hi guys,

I have recently setup ML with the recent NB and it seems to work just fine. However, I come to shoot raw and my nightmare begins. First of all, the cropped area which makes it extremely difficult to control focusing on the subject and second of all the size. I have been researching for days for the best/recommended settings for (ML and Camera settings) to shoot raw video. I have seen people shoot with the same camera (Canon 550D) and came up with brilliant results. How did they achieve that? What was their settings? How could they get such big frame and shoot in raw?

My question would be, what are the most recommended settings in ML to use? (Reso, Buffer, FPS...etc.) I understand the other cameras can perform better but I am on a low budget now and cannot afford buying another camera. Please someone provide me with the most recommended settings or options to choose in ML.

Jackknife welcome to the World of Magic Lantern.

You are having "nightmares" with ML is simply because your lack knowledge/experience of using this product. Are you new to filmmaking? How many of these 48 pages have you read? I understand, you don't have time to study you just want to pass the "test". ML helps us understand that there is a process to produce great image. I am learning so much about producing good images that I felt the need to help you as much as I can. I will go point by point.

1. Cropped area make it difficult to control focus: Lens control focus. If you shoot in low light and have to open the lens all the way you could have two problems: shallow depth of field and noise in the image. Activate, and always use ETTR and shoot as close to 0.0. ETTR shooing has helped me. I do not like blown out backgrounds and images that I see in most movies. Many filmmakers are okay with it. Make sure you have proper lighting. Also, before I record I turn ML off then zoom in 10x and set focus using a Digifinder Pro. Most of the time the focus is off so I set the focus and turn ML on...

2. Second of all the size: Use a lupe. it is hard to look through the 3 inch camera monitor. 2. If you are talking about needing to get more subject in the frame use a wider lens. To get a "big frame" move the camera closer to the subject.

3. Settings I used for film work are: resolution 960x540 shutter 1/47, fps 23.97, aspect ratio 2:39 for continuous shooting.
   Settings I am using for a music video are 1152x482......which will give you around 40 seconds.

Magic Lantern is a great tool! What I have learned is when I study a subject for myself I learn more about myself and then what I can bring to the "party." I've read all 48 pages concerning the t2i on this site. There are some really learned and smart people on this site. The ML founders are on this site! Many know way more than I do so I read and learn from them. Some of this tech stuff is above my head but if I need to know something I study harder. If you want to be a good filmmaker you need to do a lot of test shooting. Most of it will not produce good results but you will learn from the experience.

All is well.

pilgrim

Quote from: Jacknife on February 04, 2014, 11:31:56 AM
Hi guys,

1. As BrotherD said, please take more time to read this thread. Most of the question already replied on the previous  messages.
2. Don't tempted to mastering directly on the top level, on every horizon. Example : RAW, Full HD 1920x1080, slow motion, time lapse, etc. I suggest to start with resolution 960x540 maximum, lower will be better. In this way you don't fill up you hard disk faster with the rubbish material from trial and error. You can make a good composition with the zoom, or as I often do : closer or farther from the subject. Keep the resolution the same, it's easier to make editing in the sequence.  If you already mastering this level, then you make higher resolution. Resolution is not the magic thing as many others think. One important note : most/all of the box office Hollywood film look great on the SD resolution, yes 720x576 with anamorphic or letterbox black line, and even with the projector still look great. There are other factor, like colour grading which play a lots, compression, camera quality and mostly the objectives, and many other reason.
3. Mastering the best work-flow according your machine and the software you use. Don't think that more expensive will be better. Think for this moment that yours is the best. Many hours will lost in this phase, I hope it will be paid with the good clip on the final version. Try to understand the other wise man said, "Retake shooting to make better/correction is better than make correction later in the computer". At least make a habit; unfortunately I still often doing correction on post-production. Speaking is easier than doing  :(   Fortunately there are some RAW viewer now  :) :) :) which not the case for last year.
4. The quality of objectives or lens are very important. Often we will know the higher quality after we experienced it. When we never seen the HD film, we satisfy with the Standard Definition. Once we use many different lens we know how good picture from the good lens. It mustn't be expensive. The old analog lenses (for example Yashica 50mm 1.8, Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm, etc, I use that) which maybe you can find in eBay for 30$ are much more higher quality image than the kit lens 150$. By the way, the limitation of auto focus etc doesn't bother in video mode. Carl Zeiss make "economic lens" class also  :), like Planar 1.4/50mm which I like it :) but still similar price with 550D. Better lens help to make less correction on computer.
5. Three things to make better film are : filming, filming and filming  :)  By this you will notice about under expose, over expose, nice composition, etc.
6. See the blog of film maker : Vincent Laforet, Phillip Bloom, Notes on Video, NoFilmSchool, etc. There are so many places, even to get lost. But, still the most important is filming  :) :) :)

These are my point, and last : I am still learning like you   ;)

andy kh

mlv raw short film made with canon 550d kit lens only
5D Mark III - 70D

bastogne

Hello people. My english is not so good, I apologise for it.

I am a long time 550d user and very enthusiast to shooting RAW video on 550d camera. One week ago I buy fast SD card for fast RAW write. I try read this forum a lot but it is hard for not english native reader to understand wat you are writing. Now I make account for write post here. First post of this forum was almost 1 year ago, I dont know what to download and install.

I have look on youtube for tutorial but there is no. Can anyone help me with saying me what to download and small bit workflow? A little summarize for shooting 550d RAW.

Greetings

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: bastogne on February 27, 2014, 04:35:28 PM
Hello people. My english is not so good, I apologise for it.

I am a long time 550d user and very enthusiast to shooting RAW video on 550d camera. One week ago I buy fast SD card for fast RAW write. I try read this forum a lot but it is hard for not english native reader to understand wat you are writing. Now I make account for write post here. First post of this forum was almost 1 year ago, I dont know what to download and install.

I have look on youtube for tutorial but there is no. Can anyone help me with saying me what to download and small bit workflow? A little summarize for shooting 550d RAW.

Greetings

Download: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

A fast SD card will not help. The fastest speed on 550D is 21MB/s.

andy kh

hello 550d users, i m gonna sell my 550D and buy 650D since 650d can record 720P. i have been doing a lot of test on shooting mlv raw with my 550D for a very long time. i would like all of you to try 22 Feb 14 if anyone of u has pink/corrupted frames in mlv raw. i have been using it n i dont get a single pink/corrupted frame with it.
5D Mark III - 70D

bastogne

Quote from: ItsMeLenny on February 28, 2014, 04:03:23 AM
Download: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

A fast SD card will not help. The fastest speed on 550D is 21MB/s.

This link make me download it. My computer no finds guide.

AD DP

Just edited some of my raw footage shot with the 550D and ML:

https://vimeo.com/89770585

I did have some "pink bar" frames, but overall it functioned well. Due to wanting higher resolution, I will be moving onto the 5DIII for future raw needs.
:)

sync24fps

Hello 550D enthusiasts! I've recently upgraded to the Canon 5D mkii and am now selling my beloved 550D cinema package.  If there is anyone interested in an extra 550D or in the market to buy one, this package is very complete and has only about 10,000 Shutter clicks on it.

The package includes:

-T2i body in perfect condition with Low 10,000 shutter count
-Original battery
-Original battery Charger
-3 additional Original Canon Batteries
-ACK-E8 AC Adapter Kit for long hours of indoor shooting
-LCDVF Viewfinder

I custom rigged this package out for cinema use...extra batteries (for outdoor shooting) and a power adapter for indoor shooting (don't have to worry about batteries).  Price with everything included is $625.  I accept Paypal.  E-mail me for more info at [email protected]   Thanks!

c64girl

Hey if i have a canon 550D and if i buy card 'LEXAR SDXC 128GB 600x 90MB/s' I will be able to record videos RAW in resolution 1280x720 24 fps. or 1728x972 24p. ?? The write speed will be more than 70mb/sek

Walter Schulz

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0
550D's card interface is limited to about 21 MByte/s and there is nothing you can do about it. After some seconds the buffer will get filled and frames will get lost.

c64girl

Thank You for the link and fast replay :) well time for used 50D then...

ljubex

Well, it might be an old camera, but still has some juice left...

lsg

Excuseme for my terrible English. I shoot it at 1700x... i don´t remember exactly the resolution at 13 fps. it let´s rec more time. finally retiming it with ae. It works