RAWanizer - windows batch generation of video files from RAW

Started by marten, May 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary2013

Kharak

Quote from: Steve Kahn on November 13, 2013, 10:08:34 PM
Yep.  This worked for me as well.  Same issue.

Great!! been wondering if I was the only one

Happy to have helped :)
once you go raw you never go back

diogo.fagundes

Quote from: marten on May 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM
To make a better workflow for myself I created this windows app. Thought I should share it in case anyone else find it useful.

It's just i quick dev. No extensive testing done. No guarantee of anything. Use at your own risk! Only works on windows and is using raw2dng, dcraw and ffmpeg.

My workflow
As of version 0.3.0 I have tried to get this app to help me with my whole workflow which centers around Lightroom as RAW converter. Here is how I do it:
-Copy raw files to folder on local computer (SSD disk will improve conversion speed alot)
-Open RAWanizer, select folder, choose video settings and press start. This will extract dng from raw file, create proxy tiff files and a proxy video file.
-For a fast preview of the sequence, I choose tiff size half and mp4 option. This will give me a preview that I can use to decide which files to do real conversions for.
-Once I know which files I want to do deal with I have two options:

---Go to Lightroom or other raw converter and do conversion there. Export files as tiff and put them in 'tiff' sub folder to the dng folder (in Lightroom there is a nice option to do this easy)
---Go back to RAWanizer and choose 'video' instead of 'proxy video', select a higher quality video codec and hit start. This will give me a video file to work in my NLE.
---If I want to go back and change some settings in Lightroom I can do that and reexport to the same folder as before. Then open RAW anizer and just hit start again and it will replace the previously created video file. This will automatically have the clip in your NLE  get updated.

---OR

---Instead of lightroom, in RAWanizer I hit custom button which brings up a dialog for making settings for dcraw conversion. Tweak the settings and hit save. This is now the settings use for conversions. If I'm satisfied with the quality I choose to use a high quality codec and hit start. Now I have a file ready for my NLE

Important The 'video' settings to the left of start button has these meanings:
-Proxy video: Extracts the dng from raw file. Then creates tiff files from dng and finally creates a video file from the tiffs.
-Video: Looks for tiff files in 'tiff' sub folder in the dng subfolder and creates video file from them. Use this option if you have developed the dng in other converter.
-No video: Only extracts the dng from raw file. No tiffs created and no video file created.

Open the folder with raw files. Choose frame rate (for example 23.976) and size for proxy video. Click start and wait.

RAWanizer will create a sub folder for each raw file and put the dng files there. When proxy is created a sub folder in the dng folder will be created with tiffs. The final proxy video is created from the tiffs and put in the same folder as the original raw file. If there is a wav file with the same name as the raw file it will be included in the proxy video.

The proxy file generated can be either mp4 (5mbit) or DNxHD (185mbit). The mp4 file is created in the resolution of the tiff files.  Since DNxHD only supports two resolutions, the image is upscaled to 1920x1080 with black bars if not a perfect fit.

If people find it useful I might put some more time on it. What improvements would you like?

Download full install 0.6.0
Patch 0.6.1 Save .exe in previous installation folder.
If you have installed a previous version, when using full install, you have to use windows 'add and remove progam' to uninstall the previous version first. You may also be prompted to download and install .net 4.5 when you start the program for the first time.

version 0.6.1
-dng subfolder is named -dng instead of .dng so Resolve can recognize the files.

version 0.6.0
-fixed processing of multiple spanned files
-added option to save all dng files in same folder
-included the latest raw2dng

version 0.5.5
-added setting to delete dng files after video creation. For safety reasons this only works if original is a RAW file, not a Dng folder.
-added button to restore default presets
-some file handling bugfixes

version 0.5.4
-the settings are applied when processing starts and not when added to queue, this has confused some people so I hope this will help some, but now you can't get different settings for different files in the queue.

version 0.5.3
-bug fixes

version 0.5.2
-bug fixes
-use framrate from raw file when creating video

version 0.5.1
-automatic merging of split files (>4Gb) (there is a setting under file tab where you can choose to write to the original RAW file. This is faster, cleaner and the result is just one single RAW file. But if something fails along the way you probably end up with at corrupt RAW file, so use with caution, preferably a backup. If not checked it will create a new RAW file with prefix 'M-' and the originals will still be there, safer if you have no backup)
-some more options for dcraw conversions
-now possible to save more than one custom preset for dcraw, Cineform and video output.

version 0.5.0
-raw file meta data shown in file list.
-option to show first, middle and last thumbnail from the raw file before processing.
-clean up of UI.
-latest version of raw2dng included.

version 0.4.3
-New install with all needed files and some fixes. Hopefully the ffmpeg problem will be gone now.

version 0.4.2
-Fixed problem with path for Cineform tools. This folder could appear either under 'Cineform' or 'Gopro'. You can now also set custom path under 'folder settings' if you have it installed in a different folder.

version 0.4.1
-For the Cineform batch processing I'm now throwing up console window so the progress can be examined and aborted by closing the console window. This is temporary as I hope to find another way to deal with it.

version 0.4.0
-Batch processing for Gopro Cineform. You have to download and install Gopro Cineform studio + a small utility. Follow the instructions here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5479.msg41378#msg41378
-For the Cineform batch processing, the top progressbar is not working (detailed progress for each clip). You have to wait and see...

version 0.3.3
-Possible to open a single dng folder
-Fixed bug when starting program and last folder used had been removed
-Increased responsiveness when previewing dcraw settings

version 0.3.2
-tried to get rid of some users program crash

version 0.3.1
-Added possibility to set custom folders to override default structure
-Initial attempt for 'watch folder'. When this is activated, new raw files copied to that folder will automatically start processing.

version 0.3.0
-Add date time prefix to raw file name
-UI much more responsive and cancel works almost all the time
-More options for managing files and processing
-Now possible to use custom dcraw converter settings
-UI to help create custom dcraw settings
-Use custom ffmpeg settings for video file
-Create video file from tiff sub folder that can be populated by your favorite raw converter (lightroom, ps)

version 0.2.1
-added DNxHD as an option for the proxy file

version 0.2.0
-using multiple instances of dcraw to increase speed of dng to tiff conversion. You can change no of instances to find optimal for your computer.

Known Issues:
- Does not work with file names containing spaces or other special characters

Is there any version for Mac, of this program? ... If don't, please, create one, because this program seems to be perfect to improve the workflow.
Premiere cs6, LightRoom 4, LR Time-Lapse 3, Mac OSX 10.8.5

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Some ideas ... wish I could help [possibly] implement them, but my programming knowledge is almost nil.  :-\

1. What demosaincing algorithm uses the RAWanizer? "Fast"? How about implementing algorithms of high complexity, such as the AHD or AMaZe?

2 . It is possible to process the raw files with DCP tone curve applied? This way could be used to transform output files in logarithmic space, preserving every detail.

3 . Same for lens profiles ".lcp"? "Dark frame", or "flat field"?

4 . A possible integration with lib. the AviSynth or VapourSynth? If possible, it might be possible to run [later converting] a script ".avs" for use of advanced plugins.

5 . As already mentioned, support for . MLV and dual- iso. Maybe that last one of the most important implementations for now.

Like I said, I would love to help, but I'm not a developer and I'm just throwing ideas in the air. I hope some of them it is possible to implement!

Hug guys!

maxotics

I've sent multiple e-mails to Mårten Dalfors, who seems to be the dev behind RAWanizer.  I asked if he might continue dev or release it as open-source.  I explained that it would be best if FocusPixelFixer, and other new apps, were called from RAWanizer.  I haven't received any response.  It appears that he's Swedish.  I wonder if ML drove him insane ;) 

jonnyginese

I like this a lot. Is it possible to use Adobe Camera Raw editor instead of the DCRaw editor?  for some reason the dcraw app is sluggish and I can't get the same look that I'm used to compared to the Adobe one.

Also, is there a way to change the settings on Cineform before rendering?
Cameras: 5D3 | 60D
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5
Zoom Lenses: Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC | Canon 80-200 2.8 L

jonnyginese

Does anyone know how to make this render put to cineform Raw instead of 422 or 444 and also set the color space to what was show in camera(is sRGB)? Also, once rendered, is there a specific plugin in available or in premiere that will give a similar editing tool set as the adobe raw editor?
Prime Lenses: Samyang 14mm 2.8 | 24mm 1.4 | 35mm 1.4 | Canon 50mm 1.4 | Nikkor 105 2.5

maxotics

Here's an effort to create a tool that creates Cineform RAW

http://www.primehd.net/news/raw-2-cf-raw/

I want to point out, again, that RAWanizer is only a GUI to command line apps.  You can use raw2gpcf with some switches that create Cineform 422.  However, I think the de-bayering is a little weak. 

Resolve has come a long way; the Free/Lite version is all you need. You can easily import DNGs and create almost any output, which you can use in any editor.  I recommend that you spend your time with Resolve, which wasn't really a solution a few months ago, but now is.

D.L. Watson did a very nice tutorial recently. 

You probably don't want to pick the BMRaw camera setting that he does in the video.  There are other tutorials I would find and watch. 

jonnyginese

From what this post says.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5479.55;wap2

It looks like the default conversion for cineform is Cineform RAW if you have no switches activated. Is there anyway to verify what format the file is after its rendered?

maxotics

That's interesting jonnyginese, didn't notice that before!  My guess is if the output doesn't play in Windows media player it's RAW ;)

Andy600

Media Info should give detailed info on file formats, codecs, bitrates etc http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/

another 'essential' app is http://www.digitalrebellion.com/posthaste/ (thanks to D.L. Watson for the heads up). Save's a ton of time creating project directory structures, folders etc
Colorist working with Davinci Resolve, Baselight, Nuke, After Effects & Premier Pro. Occasional Sunday afternoon DOP. Developer of Cinelog-C Colorspace Management and LUTs - www.cinelogdcp.com

jonnyginese

how do i set an output folder that i want all my processed Cineform files to go?

maverick891

I have used this software on two diff machines successfully. Installed in on my brand new pc and it is failing to convert .raw to dng files. The raw2dng executable works but i would rather use a gui for large number of files. It just says failed no error description or number. Any idea how to fix this?

feureau

Btw, has anyone run the rawanizer into a virus scanner?

Bitdefender just quarantined every rawanizer.exe I got for Gen:Variant.Kazy.298552

A quick google says this is a trojan. Just want to put this out there in case.

EDIT: Yup. I tried downloading a fresh copy of rawanizer (0.6.1) and Bitdefender:

a. caught the link and blocked me. I downloaded it anyway, and it

b. immediately quarantined the copy.

Luiz Roberto dos Santos

Quote from: feureau on January 07, 2014, 07:13:10 PM

Bitdefender just quarantined every rawanizer.exe I got for Gen:Variant.Kazy.298552

EDIT: Yup. I tried downloading a fresh copy of rawanizer (0.6.1) and Bitdefender:

This is not virus. Just stop bitdefender and download it, or set exeption for this software in bitdefender gui.

Kharak

Quote from: feureau on January 07, 2014, 07:13:10 PM

Have not experienced any virus warnings.

But I guess your Trojan warning has something to do with .net 4.5

drmoreau

I don't get it. I show it where my RAW files are hit start and it looks like it's doing something but nothing happens. The files are still just sitting there, no DNG files, no TIFF files, no video. What gives?

Kharak

Quote from: drmoreau on January 08, 2014, 10:17:44 PM
I don't get it. I show it where my RAW files are hit start and it looks like it's doing something but nothing happens. The files are still just sitting there, no DNG files, no TIFF files, no video. What gives?

Did you queue the files?

feureau

Quote from: Luiz Roberto dos Santos on January 08, 2014, 01:23:50 PM
This is not virus. Just stop bitdefender and download it, or set exeption for this software in bitdefender gui.

It is indeed not a virus, but is actually a malware: http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/rogue_w32_systemtool.shtml

an alias to  Rogue:W32/SystemTool

It is generally considered to be not in good form to set exception for malwares. I don't know what triggers this one, but I've definitely seen that install screen before, and wondered where it came from. RAWanizer is not open source, detected for malware, and the author has since disappeared.

Use with caution. You've been warned.

Kharak

Quote from: feureau on January 09, 2014, 08:15:45 PM
It is indeed not a virus, but is actually a malware: http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/rogue_w32_systemtool.shtml

an alias to  Rogue:W32/SystemTool

It is generally considered to be not in good form to set exception for malwares. I don't know what triggers this one, but I've definitely seen that install screen before, and wondered where it came from. RAWanizer is not open source, detected for malware, and the author has since disappeared.

Use with caution. You've been warned.

Well then the question goes to all RAWanizer users. Has anyone here experienced their computer getting "sick" lately?

I must admit that I do find it weird how the developer just disappeared without a word.

And my computer has had random freezes and crashes lately, but it is old and I do think that might be the cause, but if anyone else here is experiencing the same thing as I, then perhaps this tool is infected..

But why create such and awesome tool and then put a Malware in it ?

Windows Defender does not find anything, neither does Avast. I will be installing Windows Security Essentials now, friend of mine says its the single best anti virus there is. He works with computers for a living.

If it does not classify it as malware, then I feel safe.

EDIT: Security Essentials did not find anything.

Guess you've been visiting some shady website, Feureau ;)

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

QuoteIf it does not classify it as malware, then I feel safe.

I use ESET and it has never tried to connect out or in. Nor has it run on startup or spawned any EXEs

machinez

Adaware scanned file as having "Trojan.GenericKD.1419367"

Googling found this link:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/2a3edecc42751d7ca867157057f7580465ea1420f5650b3c0184411e8c9b759b/analysis/

Great tool. Quarantined for the moment, until I can figure out whats it's doing outside of converting raw footage.
current 5D3/7D/50D/SL1/EOS-M/1D3/1DS2
former 6D/5D2/5Dc/1DS3/30D/T1I

Kharak

Quote from: machinez on January 13, 2014, 07:17:19 AM
Adaware scanned file as having "Trojan.GenericKD.1419367"

Googling found this link:
https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/2a3edecc42751d7ca867157057f7580465ea1420f5650b3c0184411e8c9b759b/analysis/

Great tool. Quarantined for the moment, until I can figure out whats it's doing outside of converting raw footage.

Let us know if you find something

mmarko

Why is this happening, am I doing something wrong? I have opened alot of files, but still there are some that i couldnt open. Shot on mk3. Tried on RawMagic too on Mac, not working :o on 6d i didnt have those problems. files have enough GB's, tried on raw2dng too, kicking out from program.