RAWanizer - windows batch generation of video files from RAW

Started by marten, May 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtsofilms

Hmm thanks for the input. I tried replacing dcraw 9.16 as you mentioned but I still get the same error, do the dngs and tiffs have to be in the same folder not subfolder? What video sequence is it referring to? the tiff files?
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

maxotics

It's referring to making the TIFFs I believe, since when I got the error they weren't made, put into the proxytiffs folder.  Since there are no tiffs, there's nothing, "video sequence" for ffmpeg to do in making the proxy video.

gtsofilms

I've tested it with Cineform proxies and those work fine, I can't use the regular dcraw for proxies though.  This is the error I get:

Does this make sense to anyone? I actually just got it to work my unclicking the use ffmbc.  Including in case this is helpful for development. Thanks!

FFmbc version 0.7-rc8
Copyright (c) 2008-2013 Baptiste Coudurier and the FFmpeg developers
Input #0, image2, from 'Z:\WD 1TB\ML RAW\TEST 8-24 Bedroom\M23-0055-dng\proxytiff\M23-0055-%06d.tiff':
  Duration: 00:00:05.29, bitrate: N/A
    Stream #0.0(und): Video: tiff, rgb24, 1856x1044p, 23.98 fps
Input #1, wav, from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\RAWanizer\Tools\dummy1s.wav':
  Duration: 00:00:00.99, bitrate: 706 kb/s
    Stream #1.0(und): Audio: pcm_s16le, 44100 Hz, 1 channels, s16, 705 kb/s
Unrecognized option 'n'
C:\Program Files (x86)\RAWanizer\Tools\ffmbc.exe: failed to set value 'Z:\WD 1TB\ML RAW\TEST 8-24 Bedroom\M23-0055.proxy.mov' for option 'n'

03:29:18 All items Finished

maxotics

@gtsofilms

I'll have to do until an expert comes around ;)  RAWanizer is only a GUI (graphical user interface) to command line programs; that is, programs that run in a command line by sending them parameters.  For example, if you load a command prompt and put a myshoot.RAW file and raw2dng.exe into the same folder and type "raw2dng.exe myshootRAW" raw2dng.exe will extract/create a series of DNG files that are frames in your video.   Then, if you put dcraw.exe in that folder with the dngs and type dcraw.exe -w -6 -T myshoot0001.dng it will create myshoot0001.tiff  The "-w -6 -T" tells dcraw to create a TIFF at 16bits using the camera white balance recorded in the DNG file.  There are MANY other ways (parameters/arguments) of telling dcraw how to create your TIFFs.  ffmpeg.exe is another command line program that creates movie files.  It is usually used to convert one format to another.  It is a very complex piece of software. 

Knowing this, you can see that the problem would either be 1.) RAWanizer is not/cannot call one of the programs.  or  2.) it is calling them with the wrong parameters.  I believe it is one.  Because dcraw does not have a parameter to set where the output file goes, it is has be copied into the source file folder.  I believe this is creating problems.  I don't believe this problem can be solved until the maker of RAWanizer looks into it.  For now, you can mimic what RAWanizer does by:

1. Copy RAW file into folder
2. Copy RAW2dng into folder
3. Drag RAW file onto raw2dng (same as raw2dng myShoot.RAW in command line)
4. Copy extracted DNG files to their own folder, say /dng
5. Copy dcraw.exe to dng
6. Type  someting like dcraw -w -T DSC00001.DNG DSC00002.DNG DSC00003.DNG (all the other file names separated by spaces)
7. Copy ffmpeg into folder
9. run ffmpeg on TIFFs (parameters to long to go into now).

The above process is what RAWanizer automates for you.  It also has come canned settings to start you out, and you can create/modify your own.  It's very good software.  Unfortunately, unless this bug happens to the developer it's difficult for him/her to troubleshoot.

gtsofilms

Thanks maxotics! That explanation was very helpful. It seems I've been able to get it to work consistently now as long as I'm not checking the ffmbc box.  I think I read that both ffmpeg and ffmbc do similar things in terms of transcoding video files, but do you know if one is better than the other?

thanks so much again for sharing your knowledge  :)

maxotics

@gtsofilms.  My head is swimming with all this stuff.  I tried to ignore that ffmbc box but you thanked me so felt compelled to go read up on it ;)  Looks like it's a port of ffmpeg that is geared towards high-end video CODECs.  That's cool!  I've been having trouble getting ffmpeg to give me the quality I want so good chance ffmbc can help me here.  Here's the link to it:

https://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/

I want to compress in a format that is almost/same quality as TIFFs. 

I've also finished a VBscript that does what RAWanizer does.  As soon as I feel it's somewhat trustworthy I'll release it to the wild so we have an alternative to RAWanizer.  (Though I LOVE RAWanizer, don't get me wrong!)

Francis Frenkel

Yesss Maxotic !

Cause I dont know why I just can't install Rawanizer on my bloody computer....

I hope your "alternative" will "accept" to work on my bloody computer...

(Though I would LOVE RAWanizer, if I could just install it....don't get me wrong!)

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

maxotics

@Francis  I have a couple of moment to think about your problem.

1. Is program in the C:\Program Files (x86)\RAWanizer
directory (that is x86 emulation)

2.  It seems to use .NET 4.0.  Do you have that installed (in addition to 4.5? )

I'm wondering if you're trying to run it under 64bit mode and it's not working

Do you program?  I can send script when not fully done if I know it might be useful to you.

Francis Frenkel

Maxotics :

Quote1. Is program in the C:\Program Files (x86)\RAWanizer
directory (that is x86 emulation)
yes, installation put the folders in C:\Program Files (x86)\RAWanizer

But when I try to open i got this message : "error 80004005 program will termated"
2.  It seems to use .NET 4.0.  Do you have that installed (in addition to 4.5? )

Yes, .Net 4.5.

QuoteI'm wondering if you're trying to run it under 64bit mode and it's not working

Yes I got Windows 64 bits.

Thank you so much for helping me !

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

maxotics

Hi Francis.  Uninstall the app and make sure when you re-run it you do it as an "administrator" of the computer.  You must have those privileges. 

Francis Frenkel

Done before you ask me...
No, it's not a solution.

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

maxotics

@Francis.  How badly do you want RAWanizer to run?  Can I send you email at your company address?  Maybe I can compile a small do-nothing .NET app for you and see if that works (isolate the problem).  Not sure you answered one of the questions, which versions of .NET do you have installed?  I know you have 4.5, but not sure on any of the other version. You should be able to see them under install/remove programs.

Also, don't know if you know, but I've created scripts you could use.  Though for a lot of stuff I prefer RAWanizer.  I think you should get that figured out. 

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7908.0

Francis Frenkel

thank you so much for the interest you bring to my problem!
I know you have 4.5, but not sure on any of the other version. You should be able to see them under install/remove programs.
I got CCcleaner and I checked, but I only have  .Net 4.5 for weeks now, and not other (old) version running...

You can send me mail on my company address :
[email protected]

QuoteAlso, don't know if you know, but I've created scripts you could use.  Though for a lot of stuff I prefer RAWanizer.  I think you should get that figured out. 
Yes, I had seen this page and I can not wait to try these scripts!

Thanks again.

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

chmee

just to be clear - .net4.5 is not an update from .net4.0 or 3.5 - if a software is coded with .net2.0, you'll need .net2.0.
all .net-versions can coexist. if you have been asked, if .net4.0 is installed, "yes, 4.5" is the wrong answer.
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

maxotics

Looks like it was built using 4.5.  So don't believe Francis needs earlier versions of .NET

.custom instance void [mscorlib]System.Runtime.Versioning.TargetFrameworkAttribute::.ctor(string) = ( 01 00 1A 2E 4E 45 54 46 72 61 6D 65 77 6F 72 6B   // ....NETFramework
                                                                                                        2C 56 65 72 73 69 6F 6E 3D 76 34 2E 35 01 00 54   // ,Version=v4.5..T
                                                                                                        0E 14 46 72 61 6D 65 77 6F 72 6B 44 69 73 70 6C   // ..FrameworkDispl
                                                                                                        61 79 4E 61 6D 65 12 2E 4E 45 54 20 46 72 61 6D   // ayName..NET Fram
                                                                                                        65 77 6F 72 6B 20 34 2E 35 )                      // ework 4.5

Francis Frenkel

I just dont understand ...

I've installed Microsoft.net framework 4.5  since the first installation I got an error message asking me to install Microsoft framework 4.5!

OK , then, wich one do I have to install ?

Fran6
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Kharak

Greetings from the shadows.

Thank You for this wonderful Program Marten. It really makes life so much easier.

@Francis Frenkel. I had the exact same error as you and was getting as frustrated as you. I read this thread over and over to see if I could find any solution and could not.

Now Rawanizer works and the only thing I've done in the last few days is updating Windows! I had 11 or so new updates available for windows. So you might wanna start there.

I wish you good look.

Question: In Rawanizer, there is a quality switch when you look at preview frame (when you right click a RAW file and select dcraw or somethin'). I can't tell any difference from when the switch is all the way to the left or the right. But as I see Brightness, gamma etc.. all increase when pushing it to the right, am I right to assume that pushing that switch to the Right is highest quality?

With regards.

The quality whore :)
once you go raw you never go back

maxotics

Quote from: Francis Frenkel on September 05, 2013, 11:06:31 AM
I just dont understand ...

I've installed Microsoft.net framework 4.5  since the first installation I got an error message asking me to install Microsoft framework 4.5!

OK , then, wich one do I have to install ?

Fran6

Hi, I think Chmee sas suggesting you needed an earlier version of .NET, maybe 2.0, which was a possibliity.  I was just saying that you should be good with 4.5 since that was its target development library---just developer stuff.  Anyway, I hope with a new service pack your problem does go away.  The other stuff I can think to try, I now realize, would take us hours and hours with uncertain results.  Might be cheaper to just buy an old laptop ;)  Anyway, hoping for the best.

RenatoPhoto

I am testing this application and so far with the proxy stuff I have the following results.

At first I could not generate any proxy video. The issue was that my computer displays the video framerate as 29,97 and the ffmpeg convertor wanted with a decimal point.  The problem was solved by entering the fps in the Video tab with a period.  In my case 29.97.

By setting fps manually with period (.) rather than coma (,) I can make:

mp4 5 mbit proxy
DNxHD 185mbit proxy
444 prores proxy

Also I installed the Cineform Studio and the RAW2GPCF.exe file.
So far I can produce the .avi file (standard setting under Cineform Tab) rather quickly!

I have also used the latest raw2dng.exe file.

I will be using this application to process many videos and will report issues if any.

Great job: Marten and others who have contributed to this nifty program!  8)
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

Would be really cool to support raw therapee... it has IGV and amaze debayer that really makes a difference.

Audionut

feureau

RenatoPhoto

Had a chance to make many proxy videos and compare them to my usual method (that I use) of ACR convert to tiff and make video with Vegas 12.

The quality of the proxy videos is not up to the ACR 8.2 RC process since the method used for optimizing the tiffs is not very powerflul,  I am referring to the dcraw build option which can adjust the tiff but I can never get it right.  This interface of dcraw is not good enough for the quality of raw video, it would be very useful to find a more powerful converter.  I wonder if the Adobe dng to tiff converter provides an interface for adjusting the tiffs, and if this interface could be incorporated much like the dcraw.

The Cineform option is good but again does not have any quality adjustment options, unless there are some copy paste codes that can be added to the Cineform parameters.

So far I will use this software for an quick and dirty automated method for making nice proxy preview videos.  The higher quality option will be used for final processing.

Thanks again and hope that the development of this great software can continue to improve.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Steve Kahn

Would it be possible to include a sequential renaming feature to aid in post production?

maxotics

Hi RanatoPhoto, I've been experimenting with ffmpeg to get closest quality to TIFFs.  So a couple of suggestions/ideas

ufRAW seems to have a lot more control over the DNG to TIFF conversion process.  It can be run in batch too.  Have you tried that?

These ffmpeg commands in RAWanizer might give better quality.  I've tried to configure RAWanizer but came up with problems difficult to diagnose.  This site gave me a lot of ideas.

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/vfxEncodingGuide

For example

These arguments for h.264.  Sorry, haven't had chance to look up what this does! :)

-g 1 -tune stillimage -crf 9 -bf 0

The most important might be:

-pix_fmt yuvj422p which I think give 4:2:2 color depth like Cineform  Hopefully someone reading this can verify/elaborate.

This was a good ProRes string

-c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -qscale:v 1 -vendor ap10 -pix_fmt yuv422p10le -r 24 output.mov

I've also been using this to sharpen the TIFFs before conversion

-vf unsharp=5:5:1.5:5:5:1.5

Anyway, I believe RAWanizer can be configured to provide near/complete TIFF quality video clips and one could delete the DNGs and TIFFs.  In any case, I will accept slight IQ loss for ease of storage use, etc.

Hope you keep on this quest!  I'm currently scraping my knuckles bloody on the hot/pink pixel issues.