RAWanizer - windows batch generation of video files from RAW

Started by marten, May 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fafalone

There's a bug from 0.6.0 on that prevents saving Cineform proxy files to a different folder. It gives an error saying "Do you have Cineform Studio installed?". If no path for proxy files is chosen they do process.

See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5479.msg62501#msg62501

Disease

Quote from: marten on May 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM
To make a better workflow for myself I created this windows app. Thought I should share it in case anyone else find it useful.

It's just i quick dev. No extensive testing done. No guarantee of anything. Use at your own risk! Only works on windows and is using raw2dng, dcraw and ffmpeg.

My workflow
As of version 0.3.0 I have tried to get this app to help me with my whole workflow which centers around Lightroom as RAW converter. Here is how I do it:
-Copy raw files to folder on local computer (SSD disk will improve conversion speed alot)
-Open RAWanizer, select folder, choose video settings and press start. This will extract dng from raw file, create proxy tiff files and a proxy video file.
-For a fast preview of the sequence, I choose tiff size half and mp4 option. This will give me a preview that I can use to decide which files to do real conversions for.
-Once I know which files I want to do deal with I have two options:

---Go to Lightroom or other raw converter and do conversion there. Export files as tiff and put them in 'tiff' sub folder to the dng folder (in Lightroom there is a nice option to do this easy)
---Go back to RAWanizer and choose 'video' instead of 'proxy video', select a higher quality video codec and hit start. This will give me a video file to work in my NLE.
---If I want to go back and change some settings in Lightroom I can do that and reexport to the same folder as before. Then open RAW anizer and just hit start again and it will replace the previously created video file. This will automatically have the clip in your NLE  get updated.

---OR

---Instead of lightroom, in RAWanizer I hit custom button which brings up a dialog for making settings for dcraw conversion. Tweak the settings and hit save. This is now the settings use for conversions. If I'm satisfied with the quality I choose to use a high quality codec and hit start. Now I have a file ready for my NLE

Important The 'video' settings to the left of start button has these meanings:
-Proxy video: Extracts the dng from raw file. Then creates tiff files from dng and finally creates a video file from the tiffs.
-Video: Looks for tiff files in 'tiff' sub folder in the dng subfolder and creates video file from them. Use this option if you have developed the dng in other converter.
-No video: Only extracts the dng from raw file. No tiffs created and no video file created.

Open the folder with raw files. Choose frame rate (for example 23.976) and size for proxy video. Click start and wait.

RAWanizer will create a sub folder for each raw file and put the dng files there. When proxy is created a sub folder in the dng folder will be created with tiffs. The final proxy video is created from the tiffs and put in the same folder as the original raw file. If there is a wav file with the same name as the raw file it will be included in the proxy video.

The proxy file generated can be either mp4 (5mbit) or DNxHD (185mbit). The mp4 file is created in the resolution of the tiff files.  Since DNxHD only supports two resolutions, the image is upscaled to 1920x1080 with black bars if not a perfect fit.

If people find it useful I might put some more time on it. What improvements would you like?

Download full install 0.6.0
Patch 0.6.1 Save .exe in previous installation folder.
If you have installed a previous version, when using full install, you have to use windows 'add and remove progam' to uninstall the previous version first. You may also be prompted to download and install .net 4.5 when you start the program for the first time.

version 0.6.1
-dng subfolder is named -dng instead of .dng so Resolve can recognize the files.

version 0.6.0
-fixed processing of multiple spanned files
-added option to save all dng files in same folder
-included the latest raw2dng

version 0.5.5
-added setting to delete dng files after video creation. For safety reasons this only works if original is a RAW file, not a Dng folder.
-added button to restore default presets
-some file handling bugfixes

version 0.5.4
-the settings are applied when processing starts and not when added to queue, this has confused some people so I hope this will help some, but now you can't get different settings for different files in the queue.

version 0.5.3
-bug fixes

version 0.5.2
-bug fixes
-use framrate from raw file when creating video

version 0.5.1
-automatic merging of split files (>4Gb) (there is a setting under file tab where you can choose to write to the original RAW file. This is faster, cleaner and the result is just one single RAW file. But if something fails along the way you probably end up with at corrupt RAW file, so use with caution, preferably a backup. If not checked it will create a new RAW file with prefix 'M-' and the originals will still be there, safer if you have no backup)
-some more options for dcraw conversions
-now possible to save more than one custom preset for dcraw, Cineform and video output.

version 0.5.0
-raw file meta data shown in file list.
-option to show first, middle and last thumbnail from the raw file before processing.
-clean up of UI.
-latest version of raw2dng included.

version 0.4.3
-New install with all needed files and some fixes. Hopefully the ffmpeg problem will be gone now.

version 0.4.2
-Fixed problem with path for Cineform tools. This folder could appear either under 'Cineform' or 'Gopro'. You can now also set custom path under 'folder settings' if you have it installed in a different folder.

version 0.4.1
-For the Cineform batch processing I'm now throwing up console window so the progress can be examined and aborted by closing the console window. This is temporary as I hope to find another way to deal with it.

version 0.4.0
-Batch processing for Gopro Cineform. You have to download and install Gopro Cineform studio + a small utility. Follow the instructions here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5479.msg41378#msg41378
-For the Cineform batch processing, the top progressbar is not working (detailed progress for each clip). You have to wait and see...

version 0.3.3
-Possible to open a single dng folder
-Fixed bug when starting program and last folder used had been removed
-Increased responsiveness when previewing dcraw settings

version 0.3.2
-tried to get rid of some users program crash

version 0.3.1
-Added possibility to set custom folders to override default structure
-Initial attempt for 'watch folder'. When this is activated, new raw files copied to that folder will automatically start processing.

version 0.3.0
-Add date time prefix to raw file name
-UI much more responsive and cancel works almost all the time
-More options for managing files and processing
-Now possible to use custom dcraw converter settings
-UI to help create custom dcraw settings
-Use custom ffmpeg settings for video file
-Create video file from tiff sub folder that can be populated by your favorite raw converter (lightroom, ps)

version 0.2.1
-added DNxHD as an option for the proxy file

version 0.2.0
-using multiple instances of dcraw to increase speed of dng to tiff conversion. You can change no of instances to find optimal for your computer.

Known Issues:
- Does not work with file names containing spaces or other special characters

In version 0.6.1 there is no option for converting to Video all I can get it proxy files. I keep getting the error: No video sequence folder found... Sorry if I am doing something noob!

Disease

marten

Quote from: Disease on August 06, 2013, 07:09:02 PM
In version 0.6.1 there is no option for converting to Video all I can get it proxy files. I keep getting the error: No video sequence folder found... Sorry if I am doing something noob!

You are free to choose the quality of the proxy files. So it's up to you if you want to consider them proxies or final video. The file name will always contain .proxy though.

Disease

Quote from: marten on August 07, 2013, 10:01:01 AM
You are free to choose the quality of the proxy files. So it's up to you if you want to consider them proxies or final video. The file name will always contain .proxy though.

Ah ok.. strange tho as when i try to open them it just says there is no video or audio present. I will try again. I was not aware that the word proxy would always be there.

Thanks for the reply I am kinda loosing hair over getting these raw files into a video format! ;-)

Thanks for the awesome software once I get my head around this and can generate a ProRes444 or equivelant file that will work in Premiere I will be soo happy!

n0M3n

I'm making a weird videoclip using your tool. This is really helpful. I hope you keep on developing it.

marten

Quote from: Disease on August 07, 2013, 03:29:17 PM
Ah ok.. strange tho as when i try to open them it just says there is no video or audio present. I will try again. I was not aware that the word proxy would always be there.

Thanks for the reply I am kinda loosing hair over getting these raw files into a video format! ;-)

Thanks for the awesome software once I get my head around this and can generate a ProRes444 or equivelant file that will work in Premiere I will be soo happy!

They shouldn't be empty. Have you tried the simple mp4 preset? Is that empty as well?

dude

I had to transform some files from raw to dng,
2 were over 4gb. Raw2dng made black or fucked up pictures out of them rawanizer made the job pretty well.

beside,
when i open the dngs via Bridge, the pink colour-cast is gone and they  look pretty cool in acr, like it put some grading over it..

Disease

I am afraid I just cannot get this to work.
When I try to create a Prores file it jusst fails..
10:01:26 Start extracting dng from M06-1213.RAW
10:02:15 Finished
10:02:15 Start converting tiff from M06-1213.RAW
10:04:39 Finished
10:04:39 Start creating proxy from M06-1213.RAW
10:04:39 Failed:
FFmbc version 0.7-rc8

10:04:39 All items Finished

I am pretty sure I was making some video files from this earlier but they just wouldnt open in anything. Now I cannot make any video file. Whats ffmbc? DO I need a newer versionof that?

kgv5

marten, is it possible to make your app works with mlv2dng? Your rawanizer is a great tool for me but now we have to switch to mlv, it would be great to have this option with some new release. Thanks for your great work :)
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Kuky

When trying to convert spanned raw files to video this error keeps poping out: "No video sequence folder found"

wbs21

Canon eos m

Hi I get the following error:

"RAWanizer ver 0.6.1
Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. I you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow."

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.OverflowException: Arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow.
   at RAWanizer.RawUtility.MakeRawFile(FileInfo fi, String targetFileName, RawMetaData metaData, Int32[] frames, List`1 SplitFiles)
   at RAWanizer.ProcessItem.MakeThumbImages(RawMetaData metaData)
   at RAWanizer.frmThumb.DoCreateVideoThumbs(DiskItem diskItem)
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task`1.InnerInvoke()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at RAWanizer.frmThumb.<CreateVideoThumbs>d__13.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<ThrowAsync>b__0(Object state)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18051 built by: FX45RTMGDR
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
RAWanizer
    Assembly Version: 0.6.1.0
    Win32 Version: 0.6.1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/USer/Desktop/5DMark3%20August%206%202103%20build/RAWanizersetup%200.6.0%20August%2017%202013%20download/RAWanizer.exe
----------------------------------------
System.Windows.Forms
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Canon 5D Mark III, Gopro Hero Blacks with 3D Casing, A Few Lenses, Adobe CC 2014, MacBook Pro, Windows 8 PC, Lots of Video Rig!

Started Nuke. Loved it but then the 15 day trial ran out. Back to After Effects and loving it :-)

DjJuvan

I have problem with extracting bigger than 4 GB raw files... it doesn't make any dngs o_0 I don't know what to set, to make it work.

ubejavshiy

Hello, please forgive me for my English.

I have a problem when installing the application an error.

I reinstalled the app, but it has not worked.

I have Windows 8 .NET Framework 4.5

I hope for your help and thank you for your work.

--------------------

from Russia with love.

Francis Frenkel

Hello from France,

Same problem, same situation :

Windows 7 64 bits
NET Framework 4.5

I already explain my problem but no respons...

I re-install NET Framework 4.5 = but does not work anyway...

It's a real shame... It would be so usefull...( I'm pro).
Please, help me.

Francis

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

ubejavshiy

Hi, I found a solution

It is a problem with 64 bit.

You need move your app's files  from "Program Files (x86)" to "Program Files" after installation or install it in this folder.

Windows 8 (64 bit) - it's work!

Francis Frenkel

QuoteYou need move your app's files  from "Program Files (x86)" to "Program Files" after installation or install it in this folder.

It does not work for me :
I install the program, but without lauching the applictaion (cause it doesnt work)
Then, I copy the RAWanizer folder in "Program files"
Then try to open by double clic in application icon, but same error message : "Error CLR 80004005 program will end now"

I do something wrong ?

Francis

Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Francis Frenkel

Nobody to help me ?

I also tried to modify the compatibility in properties of the .exe file
I also tried to open with admin...

What is wronG ?
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

ubejavshiy

Hi,
the method described above will work for me.

Try to completely uninstall a program, set unchanged, replace the file and then copy the folder with the application of the "Program Files x86" in the folder "Program Files" on system disk.

I have thought of this method by accident and I don't think that's the only right decision.

Good luck, and sorry my english.

Francis Frenkel

Quote from: ubejavshiy on August 20, 2013, 09:21:52 AM
Hi, the method described above will work for me.
Try to completely uninstall a program, set unchanged, replace the file and then copy the folder with the application of the "Program Files x86" in the folder "Program Files" on system disk.
I have thought of this method by accident and I don't think that's the only right decision.
Good luck, and sorry my english.

I did it but it doesnt work, thany you anyway...

Francis
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

Francis Frenkel

Am I the only one on earth can not install this application?

Fran6
Francis Frenkel
www.ffrenkel.com

maxotics

Hi, dcraw may need updating in RAWanizer.  It is currently version 9.16.  I couldn't understand why the RAWanizer TIFFs seemed to have more red-dot noise (EOS-M) than Adobe conversions (at least for me).  I found the new dcraw and tried it and it seems there is less saturation and dots in the new one.  I replaced the version of dcraw in my RAWanizer program path and it seems to work fine (now it's not!, changed back, now it's working again????). However, I'm in deep waters for me on this stuff.  Hopefully someone can confirm/refute this.

Also, any help in optimizing dcraw for EOS-M and 50D files would be greatly appreciated.  Profiles? Thanks!

http://lightzoneproject.org/content/dcraw-917-released

Here is output, using "-w -6 -T" from dcraw version 9.16

Here for 9.17

gtsofilms

Hey everyone, I have the same error as Kuky posted before:

When trying to convert spanned raw files to video this error keeps poping out: "No video sequence folder found"

Anyone know what's happening here? I'm able to use Cineform to create a proxy file but it doesn't work with dcraw
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

maxotics

I had that error and it fixed when I copied back the 9.16 dcraw (see above).  Dcraw will apparently only work with file in the same folder (a pain), I wonder if windows locks it up if RAWanizer copies it too many times to the files to process folder (and deletes it I assume).  Check your path C:\Program Files (x86)\RAWanizer\Tools  Make sure all the programs are in there. dcraw. ffmpeg, etc.  Maybe copy a new one in there.  Anyway, beats me.  If RAWanizer source is available I could look at it.