RAWanizer - windows batch generation of video files from RAW

Started by marten, May 21, 2013, 03:32:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

marten

New version is up. See link in first post.

-Custom folders
-Folder watch

marten

Quote from: pacman829 on May 25, 2013, 07:32:45 PM
I think I spoke too soon ...

Woke up today to shoot some test footage, and when i went to open up RAWanizer I got this error

Tried uninstalling, reinstalling, repairing, running as admin.... nothing seems to work .. :S

With the new version you should get a message box with the error message instead of program crash. Could you try to run the 0.3.1 version and send me the error message you get? https://bitbucket.org/bjurhulta/rawanizer-release/downloads/RAWanizer.exe

robrock_68

I keep getting an "unhandled exception" error, which gives me the option to continue or quit. If I hit continue, nothing happens. if I hit quit, well,, you get the idea... It says "Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: Length

pacman829

Well I'm just brainstorming really, 

As is, the thing works wonderfully , and I thank you for taking the time to make this.

What I was thinking about was something like

This is what it looks like now

<Folder with RAW>
-------- m0000000.RAW
-------- m0000000.proxy.mp4
--------<M0000000.dng>
---------------m0000000.dng
---------------<proxytiff>
---------------------m0000000.tiff

This is what I was thinking might be a bit more organized, since all the files would be side by side  (RAW,proxy, dng folder)

<Folder with RAW>
-------- <m0000000>
--------------m0000000.proxy.mp4
--------------m0000000.raw
--------------<m0000000.dng>
-----------------------m0000000.dng
---------------------<proxytiff>
---------------------------m0000000.tiff

5mkII User

marten

Quote from: robrock_68 on May 26, 2013, 02:56:57 AM
I keep getting an "unhandled exception" error, which gives me the option to continue or quit. If I hit continue, nothing happens. if I hit quit, well,, you get the idea... It says "Length cannot be less than zero. Parameter name: Length

Can you download the new version patch 0.3.2 from the first post and tell me if you still have same problem.

1%

I can't reprocess DNGs to video/tiff/etc once I delete the .raw file.

Apples

Hi, Im having a problem converting RAW files over 4Gig  the program starts then says Failed in the log window, under 4gig is fine. Is there a file size limit.

Win 7 64bit

Thanks for the program it works wonderfully except for file size limit, and if you built in a function to delete Tiff files after i would use it.

marten

Quote from: 1% on May 26, 2013, 06:24:36 PM
I can't reprocess DNGs to video/tiff/etc once I delete the .raw file.

If you check the 'dng folder' checkbox you should be able to, that way you treat the dng as you starting point.

marten

Quote from: Apples on May 26, 2013, 09:11:44 PM
Hi, Im having a problem converting RAW files over 4Gig  the program starts then says Failed in the log window, under 4gig is fine. Is there a file size limit.

Win 7 64bit

Thanks for the program it works wonderfully except for file size limit, and if you built in a function to delete Tiff files after i would use it.

Can you try to download the latest raw2dng.exe and replace the old in tools subfolder. Any difference?

haavard

Quote from: marten on May 26, 2013, 02:04:44 AM
With the new version you should get a message box with the error message instead of program crash. Could you try to run the 0.3.1 version and send me the error message you get? https://bitbucket.org/bjurhulta/rawanizer-release/downloads/RAWanizer.exe

I got the same crash, it was due to the last open file had been moved since last use, so when Rawanizer could not find it on startup it crashes. Just delete the last open file from the user config file found in your appdata folder and you are good to go.

1%

I figured that would work but it does not. I select dng folder and select a folder with DNGs.. I see it in the bottom like "C:\Video\600D\M4" but nothing the box where the raws would go. Selecting the parent appears to work tho.

marten

Quote from: haavard on May 26, 2013, 09:56:11 PM
I got the same crash, it was due to the last open file had been moved since last use, so when Rawanizer could not find it on startup it crashes. Just delete the last open file from the user config file found in your appdata folder and you are good to go.

Thanks, I will try to fix that.

marten

Quote from: 1% on May 26, 2013, 10:37:57 PM
I figured that would work but it does not. I select dng folder and select a folder with DNGs.. I see it in the bottom like "C:\Video\600D\M4" but nothing the box where the raws would go. Selecting the parent appears to work tho.

Yes, you have to select the parent folder and check the folders you want to reprocess The list will never show individual dng or tiff files. Since this is a batch tool for me I wanted the workflow to be towards multiple folders instead of single. But I will see if I can accomodate both. Grey checkbox means it has detected existing files and they will not automatically be included in the process. Only solid check marks will be processed, so you have to manually check them if they are grey.

I am thinking of redoing the list with files/folders. Will see when I get time for that.

1%

If I select a folder of dngs it should take the folder. I had to select a folder with multiple dng folders.

I couldn't get the video button to work.. only the proxy button makes videos. Is that only for custom?

marten

Regarding the video option. I added this to the first post a couple of days ago:

The 'video' settings to the left of start button has these meanings:
-Proxy video: Extracts the dng from raw file. Then creates tiff files from dng and finally creates a video file from the tiffs.
-Video: Looks for tiff files in 'tiff' sub folder in the dng subfolder and creates video file from them. Use this option if you have developed the dng in other converter.
-No video: Only extracts the dng from raw file. No tiffs created and no video file created.

I do understand that the 'video' option might be confusing, but I haven't come up with a better way yet. It's purpose is tho batch process tiff folders that have been populated by external converters (I use Lightroom).

The 'proxy video' and 'video' both use the settings you select. The difference is where they try to find the source tiffs. For 'proxy video' it creates them from the dng, for 'video' it simply looks for a 'tiff' subfolder in the dng folder.

I will have a look at selecting just a single dng filder.

marten

New version is up. Check the first post for details.

1%

Ok, I get it... tiffs are in proxytiff so would have to rename the folder.

BTW did you update raw2dng to newest... as of 3.1 I still had to change it out... I'm also going to try different ffmpeg.. x64 with multithreading support.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ was winner.

I set MXF fps to 23.976 or 24 and it says no suitable target for 23.98, etc.

IliasG

Marten, which Dcraw build do you use ?.

Did not try RAWanizer yet but I have to say that the faster Dcraw for my system (win vista32, C2D 3.0 Ghz) is https://sites.google.com/site/manuelllorens/

and it includes Lcms - libjpeg - jasper

1%

That's a bit old... latest is like 9.17 there was a difference for EOSM/6D for photos... dng probably won't matter.

hookah

5D3, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4, Tamron 24-70mm 2.8 VC, Tokina 11-16 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.4 + 100mm 2.8 macro + 15mm

marten

Quote from: 1% on May 27, 2013, 06:29:41 PM
Ok, I get it... tiffs are in proxytiff so would have to rename the folder.

BTW did you update raw2dng to newest... as of 3.1 I still had to change it out... I'm also going to try different ffmpeg.. x64 with multithreading support.

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ was winner.

I set MXF fps to 23.976 or 24 and it says no suitable target for 23.98, etc.

Ok, either I'm not so good at explaining or I haven't made it logical... I work with two different tiff folders.

-Proxytiff folder is used for creating 'proxyvideo'. Proxy video for me is either a fast, low quality clip to preview the raw file (choose half size and mp4) OR it is a proxy to be used for editing (choose full size and higher quality codec) OR if I think the dcraw conversion is good enough I can use the 'proxy' for final editing. In neither of these cases do you need to bother about the 'tiff' folder.
-Tiff folders only purpose is if you use an external converter (ACR, Lightroom) and you want to batch video encode the output from the external converters.

So if you are happy with the conversion you get with the internal dng to tiff, only use proxytiff and choose quality you like.

In the full install for version 0.3.3 the lastest raw2dng is included (at least the one I could find, think it was may 24)

The ffmpeg I use may not be the latest, but it is multi threading at least for mp4. The higher quality codecs may not be. Have you tested the link you gave, is that mulitthreaded even for dnxhd and mxf?

I'm not surprised if you get problems with mxf framerates, I found the mxf support very confusing. I wanted it for Sony vegas support but it's not accepting it. For prores and mxf I'm using ffmbc, not ffmpeg.

I would be very happy if someone could provide me with some complete parameter settings for ffmpeg or ffmbc that are foolproof and working well that I could add as defaults. I'm personally hunting for XDCAM mxf that Sony vegas will accept to the timeline.

IliasG

Quote from: 1% on May 27, 2013, 09:26:08 PM
That's a bit old... latest is like 9.17 there was a difference for EOSM/6D for photos... dng probably won't matter.

But IT IS 9.17 release 1454 ... built on 27mar2013 .. although as you said it doen't matter for DNGs.

Did you try it for speed ??

1%

Quoteis that mulitthreaded even for dnxhd and mxf?

Not sure.. I'm never able to make an MXF.. didn't test DNXhd... what I do know is your FFmpeg = 25% cpu usage... that ffmpeg = 100% cpu usage and mp4 is done in a flash. Dunno what holds true for x32 version.

Will try DCraw next and see if it 4 cores DnxHD...

marten

Quote from: IliasG on May 27, 2013, 08:31:49 PM
Did not try RAWanizer yet but I have to say that the faster Dcraw for my system (win vista32, C2D 3.0 Ghz) is https://sites.google.com/site/manuelllorens/

and it includes Lcms - libjpeg - jasper

I downloaded and tested the link. It gave only couple % speed increase. But it didn't give me a valid image when directed to the StandardOutput which I'm capturing. So as for now I will keep the existing build.