Raw2dng development ideas

Started by bronson, May 21, 2013, 09:56:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronson

Hi, things seems to be moving quickly... :D
I'm not a coder, but i'm getting the idea that raw2dng could be also a management tool.

With a gui, it could take an entire raw folder and create dng's subfolders with raw's names.
Perhaps, also creating a folder with a low res mp4 proxyfile that it could be useful before developping dngs.

The first step with the gui could be easy... but could not be the last...

Thanx to all for your amazing work..

zachnfine

As long as we're offering up feature suggestions:

Frame numbers based on time-of-day timecode, generated using the file creation date as a starting point if no metadata is available.

Each dng sequence written to its own folder.

Addition or alteration of the dng files such that they'll work in davinci resolve. That software works with dng sequences ok, but not ours.

I plan to have a look at the source code and see if I can't contribute, but am not the best coder and might as well list those ideas here first in case they spark the interest of a developer who's already up to speed on the project.

bronson

I agree with zachnfine.

Keeping a movie info in txt with all good exif values could be also useful.. (resolution, focal, shutter speed, iso, date, lens info...)

Any other improvements are welcome.

powerpc

I have been thinking about this for a couple days because I took more than 200 raw files last Sunday on ITTF.  I made a small code to deploy all the raw files to dng and put them in separate folders. The names begin with the name of each raw file name. Just put the raw files, raw2dng.exe and my small program in a same folder and click on it, it will do the work.
The prog is on my ftp server. please feel free to try

ftp://a:[email protected]/Volume_2/raw2dngb.rar

;)

X-RAY

@ powerpc
Really nice! Helps a lot. That was exactly what I had to do each time. Put the raw-file in a folder and drop the raw to raw2dng to get the dngs in the folder. Now its so much simpler. Also nice to have the info.txt. But I think it would also be helpful to have the resolution and fps in the folder-name? like "M0000001_1920_720_29667" for 1920x720 and 29.667fps
www.frankenfotograf.com
instagram.com/frankenfotograf

powerpc

@X-RAY

Ha, you are always on line
I am happy it helps and thank you for the idea. I will work on it tonight.

bronson

GREAT powerpc !!!

Thank you for the share..

LucaBrasi

Great Stuff Powerpc!!! thanks! worked a treat!

X-RAY

;-)
just addicted to the latest developments. but also simply in another timezone (UTC +1).
www.frankenfotograf.com
instagram.com/frankenfotograf

powerpc

Hi, I have made the change on the folder names and updated, the same link and filename

:P

x, I am in Paris, the same zone

1%

Does it work with 4gb changes? Also only makes folders if I use it as an "open with" in windows.

hirethestache

Is the idea on the horizons of developing a proprietary native premiere/aftereffects plugin that would be able to playback the recorded files without any encoding?
@HireTheStache
www.HireTheStache.com
C100, 5D3, 5D2, 6D

tin2tin

Would it be possible to add an option to add a destination folder? Like -o "c://my-path/"?

mjneubrander

I would like an option to export say the (first, middle and last frame) or (every ##th frame) so I can make a preview before extracting all the frames. Im working on a little something with UFRaw and batch processing. Before starting UFRaw from the management tool I would like to build a preview so I can decide on which clips to use. I don't want to process every frame in a clip just to throw away B-reel. I have a SSD so processing a ~3 min clip takes up the whole thing :( Space is precious.

bronson

Powerpc did a great job with his update, but it would be very cool if someone could write a gui for raw2dng.
It could always work also with the lastest build.
It could batch rename, increment, create folders, and my dream, make an mp4 preview as a proxy.

8)

Stedda

Quote from: bronson on May 22, 2013, 06:52:07 PM

It could batch rename, increment, create folders, and my dream, make an mp4 preview as a proxy.

8)

RAWanizer
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

IliasG

I find useful to

- run all DNGs through exiftool to change exif tags like model name, WB as shot,  Black and White Levels, dates, .. go on.

- run all DNGs through Adobe DNG Converter and resave them as losslessly compressed. Size goes from 3.6MB to 2.1-2.2MB on average when it includes a medium jpeg preview (1024X576) and a bit less with the "minimal" preview.
This "medium" preview can be a substitute of the requested mp4 preview when extracted as jpeg sequence ..

If one choose to compress to Lossy DNG, size goes to less than 1MB but the result is a 8bit-log dng file .. someone has to check if it is robust enough for heavy gradation ..

If the above could be automated in this "rawtoDNGb" utility it would be the nice ..

A related GUI utility is Olli's TurboDNGimporter .. http://www.visualbakery.com/Tools/DNGImporter.aspx

bronson

@Powerpc
Sorry, I just used your tool and  i didn't see that it was raw2dng(b)... I thought that you had rewritten the main raw2dng code.
Sorry for this, it works like a charm..

Merci à toi...
PS même time zone que toi, mais plus dans le sud... :)

@Stedda
thanx for this info, but what's RAWanizer, I googled it, but it seems that i did not find any informations about this..

Peter

I did a simple batch script which works per drag&drop and puts all DNGs of the dragged RAW file in a subfolder where the RAW file is located. This doesn't delete or move any files.

* Create a folder somewhere, put raw2dng.exe and mkdng.cmd (this script) there
* Create a shortcut of mkdng.cmd and put it on the Desktop
* Drag the RAW file to the shortcut

@echo off
IF /I "%~x1"==".RAW" goto OK
echo No Raw File!
goto END
:OK
IF NOT EXIST %~d1%~p1%~n1 MD %~d1%~p1%~n1
%~d1
cd %~p1%~n1
%~d0%~p0raw2dng.exe %1
:END
pause

For those who don't need more at the moment ;-)

powerpc

Updated, now it allows inputting destination path, and choosing to put separate folders or not.

Naturalbornsamy

Hi everyone,
do you know if I can find a similar script than Power PC one for mac platform?

Thx in advance; )

tin2tin

Quote from: powerpc on May 23, 2013, 01:18:14 AM
Updated, now it allows inputting destination path, and choosing to put separate folders or not.
Thank you.  :D Is it still the same link?

scrax

Quote from: Naturalbornsamy on May 24, 2013, 12:28:50 AM
Hi everyone,
do you know if I can find a similar script than Power PC one for mac platform?

Thx in advance; )

Here raw2dng.app
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

powerpc

to tin2tin,

Yes, is the same link :P

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: powerpc on May 22, 2013, 02:27:34 AM

Hi, I have made the change on the folder names and updated, the same link and filename

Thanks it works but I have the following problem:

Created directory g:/1
put all files (xxx.raw, raw2dng.exe, raw2dngb.exe)  in directory g:/1
clicked on raw2dngb.exe

Created new directory xxx and put DNG files in it.

But.. it deleted raw2dng.exe file...
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X