5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mageye

Normal (the 1920x1080 was the setting from the canon menu!)

1872x1054 in ML
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

reddeercity

Quote from: mageye on January 29, 2014, 10:21:20 PM
I have my Live View/Movie func. set. set to 1920x1080 @24

I turned my FPS override off and it sets the recording at 23.976. I can't work at that FPS.

Recording at 1872x1054

So what's happening there?
you will not get very many frames at 1872x1054 maybe 30 second to 1 min
and that's a Big Maybe !
You might get 1872x1012 for about 1-2 min. Better chance at 1856x1004 but without any hdmi.
The max sensor size on 5d2 is 1880x1250, to get 1920x1080 in the Canon menu
canon upscale  the image for h264.

@ted; do you get the same full card record with buffer at 0 or 1, or just at buffer 4
I can only get continuous at buffer 0 or 1, at buffer 4 my Lexar records for about 2 min then stop.
Just wondering , it my be the different between card brands.

mageye

@reddeercity

I think people are getting some wires crossed here!

First of all I was questioning what Ted was saying about turning off FPS override. In my experience, if I don't have FPS override turned on it will record at 23.976.

I work with 24 FPS that's the speed that I want to work at!

I am fully aware ;) of how long I will be able to record video for and at which resolutions. If I wanted continuous recording I would drop the resolution a touch. This is fine if you are doing long takes where you might need to be talking to the camera etc.

It all depends on the type and style of production you are doing. Watch any advert and you will notice that each cut lasts only for a very short time (a few seconds for example).

Many commercial (and non-commercial) films have very short cuts. Anyway that wasn't what I was questioning!. I was merely stating that if I turn off FPS override and I have my canon settings set to 1920x1080 @24 (from the canon menu) and the mentioned 1872x1054(ML menu) (it doesn't seem to make any difference what resolution this is set to either), it will record at 23.976.

So despite what Ted is saying, I will continue to use FPS override because without that I am not getting the 24 FPS that I require.

Ted was responding and then went offline so it never really got clarified. I am sure he will answer when he is around again. If he knows better I am sure he will let me know! ;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

Kharak

@mageye

The 5d mk II's max resolution is 1880x1058 or some close to that.

Those 20 missing pixels were upscaled in camera before ML Raw came along.
once you go raw you never go back

ted ramasola

I got what mageye is asking for, its not about resolution, its about getting exact FPS. I just finished testing it on the MLV module as I also noticed some repeating frames especially at 1FPS.
Give me a sec to check the tests i just made.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

mageye

@ted ramasola

Correct!!! ;)

This all stems from me pointing out that when you use FPS override you lose the audio level meters (and no it's nothing to do with resolution!)

ted ramasola

@mageye.
@Devs ( g3gg0, 1%,a.d. and the rest )

Tested FPS override and the audio meters does disappear.
We can try to request devs to tweak this, this is probably not updated since when FPS OR was made it was still h264 and it could not record audio, so it disapears.
I had an issue once where i failed to record sound in MLV raw when I missed to turn on MLV Sound since the audio meters was there(fps OR was off), I thought soiund was ON due to the active audio meters but in fact it was OFF.

Since MLV can now record sound AND fps override works with the sound module I hope they can;

1.) allow audio meters to show IF MLV Sound is ON and to disappear if MLV Sound is OFF
2.) if MLV rec or RawRec not loaded to behave as expected in h264 recording.

On FPS

@devs,

all settings are functioning from 24 to 2 FPS, there is a bug in 1FPS as a frozed frame alternates throughout the recording.

@mageye,

with FPS at 24 you can set the appropriate setting in your NLE to reflect this and you get the right framerate, I was testing recording a digital timer and its accurate.
I tested if i can conform the framerates from 24, 23.976 , 10, 5 up to 1 etc. And upon telling the NLE to interpret the DNGs the true framerate during recording, it hits the time markers accurately. The sound though is locked at what canon framerate was set at. But of course if you use this for ads then you have a 2nd system for sound and the mlv sound is just a scratch track.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

@1%

tested jan 29 nightly and there is something really wrong with it as it cannot record past 3 seconds max, sometimes just 1 sec, depending on the buffer method.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Kharak

I gotta ask again. Several pages ago I asked the same thing.

Its regarding crop mode and the black edge I get. It's not that I use it that often, but it would be very if I got it to work properly.

I've done complete re-installs and then it works for like a day or maybe just one or two takes then the blackedge returns. This has been on every single build I've tried.

See dng: https://www.dropbox.com/s/szlkhtc9nagsjsp/M26-1648-000004.dng

Does anyone else experience this and do you know how to fix it (for good)?

Kharak.

reddeercity

Quote from: Kharak on February 03, 2014, 03:17:00 PM
I gotta ask again. Several pages ago I asked the same thing.
Its regarding crop mode and the black edge I get. It's not that I use it that often, but it would be very if I got it to work properly.
I've done complete re-installs and then it works for like a day or maybe just one or two takes then the blackedge returns. This has been on every single build I've tried.
See dng: https://www.dropbox.com/s/szlkhtc9nagsjsp/M26-1648-000004.dng
Does anyone else experience this and do you know how to fix it (for good)?
Kharak.
Nice shot, Yes I get that black edge on the right also, at 2152x#### in crop mode but in older builds
with the 1880 enabled , Never notice in MLV thou, is this on the older raw format ?
In the latest MLV nightly build feb,2 in crop mode the max size is 2144x####,
So I think it must be that ML is capturing a bigger area then the crop window is displaying.
I guess just crop it out that's what I use to do, but now I just use 2048x#### .

PressureFM

Yeah, I get the same in cropped 2144 x 1076.

Fine in 16:9 1856 x 1044.

SpcCb

Quote from: ted ramasola on January 30, 2014, 04:36:16 AM
(...)
@devs,

all settings are functioning from 24 to 2 FPS, there is a bug in 1FPS as a frozed frame alternates throughout the recording.
(...)
Maybe the duplicate first frame old issue? (not fixed yet BTW)
-> https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/issue/1755/duplicate-first-frame-with-low-fps

ted ramasola

perhaps, had same problems on 7D but as I reported it in the TL thread this was fixed in the Feb 1 nightly for tragic lantern. This is still present even with Feb 3 ML nightly for the 5D2.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Kharak

Quote from: reddeercity on February 03, 2014, 08:20:40 PM
Nice shot, Yes I get that black edge on the right also, at 2152x#### in crop mode but in older builds
with the 1880 enabled , Never notice in MLV thou, is this on the older raw format ?
In the latest MLV nightly build feb,2 in crop mode the max size is 2144x####,
So I think it must be that ML is capturing a bigger area then the crop window is displaying.
I guess just crop it out that's what I use to do, but now I just use 2048x#### .

That was shot on raw rec.

I did a test right now and got black edge on 2048 and 2144, mlv. Did not do complete re-install

but went through an older harddrive and looked at some dng's and saw that some shots, shot at 2048x### and 1920x### were fine. raw rec

I am still quite sure that I got it to work once on 2152. But I also remember a.d. giving me a link once for a nightly that addressed something specific in crop mode. So I am not sure exactly if perhaps it was that nightly that did it that one time or what.

ps. I usually crop out the black edge if I have to use the shot, but just annoys me that I am actually squeezing the aspect ratio to fit.

ted ramasola

Testing FEB 3

#1.  Low FPS freeze frame still there. If using 1FPS and lower there is a frozen frame that repeats alternating between normal frame. (already fixed in 7D build)

#2. Sometimes in file manager can't view spanned files. Getting "Invalid Header Size" then show "file ends prematurely during block header."

#3 Crop mode. Borders & Overlay info takes a long time to appear when recording is started.

#4 Screen refresh takes a long time after recording is stopped. 

#5 Is it possible to implement the Full time Color preview for 5D2 Crop mode ? this is now implemented in 7D and its very useful especially in focusing. Currently we can see it by half press of the shutter while in crop mode.

#6 can we now place a toggle switch for the buffer display that shows while recording? A.D's builds have removed this and I hope the nightlies can also give us option to turn it off.

#7 can he have audio meters when FPS over ride is active for MLV video?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

#1. Pull request please.

#2. sounds like a MLV-specific issue rather than a 5D2 issue

#5. Press shutter halfway.

#6. Pull request please.

#7. Already answered in the MLV thread.

reddeercity

@ A.D. Great Job !
The new mlv build, at lest with the hack crop view build,
is very fast  :) I was able to maintain around 73MB/s
at 1872x936 23.976p 2:1 A.R. fps override=on, GD=off  around 49GB, 17,294 frames + Audio
with hdmi preview, buffer 1. But not with any hdmi device connected.
when you return for recording the ML overlays come back without refreshing LV.

With hdmi, 1856x928 23.976p + audio, buffer 0, 19,829 frames 55.9GB
No cashes or lockups with hdmi , ML overlays returned to LV.

Crop mode 1920x960 23.976p + audio, buffer 1, hack view preview
8200 frames, 24.5GB,
2048x872 23.976p + audio, buffer 1, Continuous 20,227 frames, full card (64GB)
No error or problems,  2 thumb up !
I like the new look of the info bar at the bottom of screen & small text (I use the 4:3 screen auto layout).
Things are looking very good,  ;D

ted ramasola

Testing Feb 4th by a.d.

1. Can the "Frames recorded" be made to disappear faster? If its not connected to the the writing time from buffer to CF then this could also be removed altogether?

2. Low fps freeze frame not yet fixed.

3. Request for Full color preview in crop mode which is currently via half press of shutter to be implemented in menu as start and stop via set does not work if I use Sticky half shutter.

I did experience a lock up when I tried to view a file with HDMI attached. Had to do a battery pull and reboot.

I also like the layout tweaks. Getting similar results like reddeercity's tests as well.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

SpcCb

Quote from: reddeercity on February 05, 2014, 04:23:34 AM
(...)
The new mlv build, at lest with the hack crop view build,
(...)
Nice feature, but isn't better to see what is out of the record field?

Beside, just some feedbacks about the mlv_snd.mo: I was like Doyle4 _stayed with the 2013-10-24 a.d. build_ and want to try the new feature with sound recording in RAW video.

So I'v installed the 2014-01-14 a.d. build -> mlv_rec, mlv_snd loading etc. but no .wav recorded. I'v tried many configs, always no sound recorded.
Next I'v tried the last 2014-02-05 a.d. build -> same thing.

Maybe something is wrong somewhere, so I use the debug module feature to see what's wrong: I saw something about 'config can't be saved' in the console during a fraction of second and crash with battery drain to the death plus ' ghost things' (menu, crop frame, typos, etc.) stay printed in the screen during several minutes after unstuck the camera (gloops!).

End of the story. Gone to test last NB to try mlv_rec + w$ browser.

Kharak

Quote from: SpcCb on February 05, 2014, 06:24:18 PM
Nice feature, but isn't better to see what is out of the record field?

Beside, just some feedbacks about the mlv_snd.mo: I was like Doyle4 _stayed with the 2013-10-24 a.d. build_ and want to try the new feature with sound recording in RAW video.

So I'v installed the 2014-01-14 a.d. build -> mlv_rec, mlv_snd loading etc. but no .wav recorded. I'v tried many configs, always no sound recorded.
Next I'v tried the last 2014-02-05 a.d. build -> same thing.

Maybe something is wrong somewhere, so I use the debug module feature to see what's wrong: I saw something about 'config can't be saved' in the console during a fraction of second and crash with battery drain to the death plus ' ghost things' (menu, crop frame, typos, etc.) stay printed in the screen during several minutes after unstuck the camera (gloops!).

End of the story. Gone to test last NB to try mlv_rec + w$ browser.

The camera does not record a separate .wav file, it is stored inside the mlv file and u will need mlvbrowsesharp to extract the wave file

sebble

SpcCb

Quote from: Kharak on February 05, 2014, 07:11:48 PM
The camera does not record a separate .wav file, it is stored inside the mlv file and u will need mlvbrowsesharp to extract the wave file
Ah! (shame on me) I did not figure that the .wav was in the .mlv.. Thanks Kharak.

ted ramasola

Note on the mlv snd wav file for Feb 4 build by a.d.

If you stop recording manually your WAV file would "normally" by longer than the video file by 7-10 frames -which is fine.

However, if you keep on recording till Card is full, and the recording abruptly stops on its own, the resulting WAV file would be significantly shorter than the video file from 10 seconds to more than 1 minute.

Can we place safeguards on this behavior? perhaps based on CF capacity, the recording should stop safely?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

js472

Hi, would anybody know which is the latest build that allows 1880x800? I am using a 16Gb Lexar 1000x.
Thank you to all the developers for your tremendous work.

ted ramasola

I believe 1880 is no longer available in the current builds at 1x.

You can do 1872x936 2:1, thats close to what your looking for.

or 1856 x 928 2:1.

1728 x 972 at 16:9.

These are tested to be continuous with sound, with HDMI monitor, with external mic, with headphones.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas