5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Hello all, Just finish with my 3:2 Sensor test, I give a little intro filmed at 2k
Plus I show Film Convert Pro applied to the raw file. used Oct 24th Build
hope all like it  :)
If on a PC Internet Explorer 11,there is a gramma shift down, look like Crap there.
Use Chrome , then it looks right.  :-[

xNiNELiVES

Just checking in to give support. Great job A.D.!

delrosestephen

Just finished filming a 10min short film for school using my 5DM2. All shot RAW. 1880x800 Scaled to 1920x818. I know the acting isn't great, it was my friends and I. We shot this in a day and a half.

It was graded entirely in Davinci Resolve, started off using Hunter's LUT then went from there. Film grain is by http://rgrain.com/.

Before & After example of the color correction. Click for larger image.

The original RAW DNG had the BMD Film applied to it in Resolve.

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on December 13, 2013, 12:14:44 AM
Hello all, Just finish with my 3:2 Sensor test, I give a little intro filmed at 2k
If on a PC Internet Explorer 11,there is a gramma shift down, look like Crap there.

I love the 3:2 Sensor Test, I have a few questions like are to scaling up 3:2 to 16:9 in a 16:9 timeline? Have you read about Andy600 LUT on the forums and how are you applying LUT in FCPX? By the way RAW DNG from RAWMagic to ACR to FCPX, how would I do upscale 1872x1012 or 1880x1016 to 2k.
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

Quote from: dariSSight on December 16, 2013, 12:13:20 AM
I love the 3:2 Sensor Test, I have a few questions like are to scaling up 3:2 to 16:9 in a 16:9 timeline?
Thanks
Yes I am, scaling in FCPX timeline it dose a great Job,

Have you read about Andy600 LUT on the forums and how are you applying LUT in FCPX?
No I have not read about Andy600 LUT, I will have to do some searches & read up on that.
I really don't use LUT's But I have been working with Film Convert Pro Plugin, which is Film Stock
emulation & Camera sensor mapping.
But I guess Film Convert Pro is basically working with LUT's that can be adjusted on the fly
with effects generators etc...
It dose Save a lot for on grading thou.

By the way RAW DNG from RAWMagic to ACR to FCPX, how would I do upscale 1872x1012 or 1880x1016 to 2k.
Personally I would Film in 3x Crop Mode to get 2K, in my Video I shot myself at 2048x930, for 14300 frames or about 10 min.
The biggest reason is to eliminate aliasing and moiré and there is no Line skipping so you get cleaner and sharper images.
I have also notice I get better low light performance, no noise in the blacks.
But if you really what to up Scale to 2k from 1872x1012 or 1880x1016, then there are
Two ways I would approach it , the Best way is the ACR Photoshop>16bit tiff's up scaling workflow.
This gives the best Cinematic Feel to the image. More organic look.
Or in After Effect also but I don't like the results as much as Photoshop.
The Second would be on the timeline in Final Cut Pro X, just set the project to 2k and FCPX will do
the rest. Which is a very good job, either way works find .
:)       

Yoshiyuki Blade

@delrosestephen

Nice short! I enjoyed it and was compelled to watch it to completion. That dancing baby was creepy as hell.  ;D

On a related note, I noticed that most videos I've seen (related to RAW) have a odd levels (non-black shadows and nonwhite highlights). Is this the style people are going for these days or are they accidentally outputting to TV levels instead of PC? It lowers the contrast by quite a bit.

delrosestephen

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on December 17, 2013, 05:18:22 PM
@delrosestephen

Nice short! I enjoyed it and was compelled to watch it to completion. That dancing baby was creepy as hell.  ;D

On a related note, I noticed that most videos I've seen (related to RAW) have a odd levels (non-black shadows and nonwhite highlights). Is this the style people are going for these days or are they accidentally outputting to TV levels instead of PC? It lowers the contrast by quite a bit.

Thanks!

The non-black shadows and non-white highlights for me was an aesthetic choice. I wanted to give it a little bit of a 90s television/movie feel. If you look at the image that I attached to my post you can see my color-correction process, and see that I started with a pretty leveled image.

silvertonesx24

Filmed almost entirely in raw using AD's October 24th build. I felt like I took a risk shooting 10-15min interview sessions in raw, but everything held up perfectly.

One or two hacked GH2 shots in the B roll. Graded with ColorGhear

PressureFM

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on December 20, 2013, 06:19:05 PM

Filmed almost entirely in raw using AD's October 24th build. I felt like I took a risk shooting 10-15min interview sessions in raw, but everything held up perfectly.

Looks great but it suffers heavily from lipsync here?

Kharak

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on December 20, 2013, 06:19:05 PM

Looks extremely good!

Are you using some anamorphics in some of the shots? Noticed the bokeh being all nice and vertical.
once you go raw you never go back

silvertonesx24

Quote from: PressureFM on December 20, 2013, 09:26:41 PM
Looks great but it suffers heavily from lipsync here?

Thanks! I'm not sure what's up with that as it seems to be a vimeo thing. The source file is perfect, as well as the YouTube upload.

silvertonesx24

Quote from: Kharak on December 21, 2013, 12:45:25 AM
Looks extremely good!

Are you using some anamorphics in some of the shots? Noticed the bokeh being all nice and vertical.

I do use anamorphic often, but in this case I was using the Vid Atlantic anamorphic filter.

Boygetslost

Complete Video Guide To Installing Magic Lantern Raw On the 5d

http://youtu.be/3SzVnVk3xmU

Hi Everyone.
This is a complete guide to installing magic lantern raw on the 5d.
What is it?
What you need to know?
How to install it.
How to use it.
What to do with it in post.

Chris :)
www.boygetslost.com

philostory

Quote from: reddeercity on December 13, 2013, 12:14:44 AM

hi,
many people use Oct 24th Build that works great but i couldn't find out.

https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads
Does everyone talk about Oct 24 build in this link???

svera

reddeercity

Quote from: philostory on December 27, 2013, 08:36:17 AM
hi,
many people use Oct 24th Build that works great but i couldn't find out.

https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads
Does everyone talk about Oct 24 build in this link???
Hello, You are close but that's not the one I use
I use the one From A.D.'s Special Hack build for the 5D2
It the one with the disclaimer about Hot pixels .
This build is a lot faster then the vanilla (plane Jane) build that you are referring to.
Go to the first link read the disclaimer about hot pixels, (I don't think too many people even have this problem)
Then go to the second link, with the Oct 24th build.
Link below
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/wiki/Home
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/laboratory/downloads/af9a60fe144d.zip
There is also better hdmi support with A.D.'s Hack Build which is very
critical for backup thought a hdmi recorder on paid jobs. (I use a Ninja hdmi recorder).
I always get about 15-20% more performance but on Lexar 1000x cards only,
I'm not sure if the Komputerbay 1000x cards are as fast, I have heard there is problems with them.
I hope this info helps, ;)

PS. I have being only using A.D. hack builds since June of this year
and never had a problem once !

philostory

Thank u for information clearly that sounds so cool.
I'll try some test even though i may need Lexar 1000x cards first.

olik

Hey folks,

I have not worked with magic lantern for months and I am not up to date how the project progressed.

For examble, what is the difference between the "raw video" and the "raw video (MLV)" module?
Will dual iso finally work with the 5dmk2?
Is it still important to switch off global draw?

thanks for clarification. :-)

oli

mageye

@ olik

Well essentially the MLV format will hold all sorts of meta data but the latest addition that I think pleases many is the addition of audio. The MLV is a kind of package containing all the RAW data (including audio etc.). You need to use the the correct conversion tools to use this.

I am not going to explain all of this because there is more than enough information on this site. But yes, the audio that seems to synchronise well with the video, is what makes me want to use it.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ted ramasola

Mageye,

I kinda got delayed adopting to the MLV format and stuck with rawrec till now that audio is available. Have you tried it already? and if you would be so kind, could you point to the MLV compile that has the MLV sound module already working for the mkII. I'd like to give it a try.

Many thanks in advance.

Ted

added:

Should I use the one on the first post in the "pre-built" link in this thread? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

olik

thank you for the update.
I did a quick test and found that I can record less frames on MLV. I guess there is no advantages in terms of quality is there?

mageye

@ ted ramasola

Yes use the mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo from that link and (in my case) I used the 2013/12/02 (c44ceb8452f2) build. That works fine for me. :D

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.0

@ olik

Yes I get a lower data rate with the MLV format. But I am still able to record what I need to record so I can live with the reduced numbers.

The audio is really important to me. If the images are more important to you (as in more frames) then you can always use which module is more suited. Whenever! ;)
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

@mageye,

Ok, I'm using the latest nightly dec 29 (dec 30 in the gui) + the mlv_rec.mo, mlv_snd.mo.

I'm getting continuous raw recording at 1856 x 928 and 1728 x 972 both with sound recording ON.

Questions,
1.  with the current version is there no way to have correct framing while recording?
2. with the current version the onscreen overlays, (sound levels, shutter info, etc.) They disappear after every take and won't return after recording?

just need some confirmation if its the same with your version or if I'm missing something.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Kharak

Somebody say something about Audio???
once you go raw you never go back