5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on December 05, 2013, 03:18:50 AM
Thank, I like to share  ;)
darriSSight, if you are using RawMagic that should be a Cdng and FCPx can Read
that file type. That How I get raw in to FCPx, it 1/3 the size of tiff's .
So same workflow that you use with tiff's but use Cdng's.
At lest this work with raw2cdng on Windows PC, but I think it should also work with
RawMagic.
I use Apple ProRes 4444, It's the closes think to CDNG being it's a RGB 10 or 12bit
the bandwidth is about the some, around 220 Mb/s.
There again I shoot in the Largest frame size my cards can handle
Just re-frame/Crop, I do this all the time.
1872x1012 23.976p for continuous recording  on the Oct 24th built, I will not use any think newer.
But if I Make a Video for ME or a tutorial to help people understand ML better
then I shoot in either 1880x1250 3:2 ,1880x1058 16:9 or at 2k 2048x1024 2:1 2048x930 2.2:1

I don't Shoot any video unless I have plan it out, I would say that only about 20%
of the footage is cut out, where as when I would shot H264, or any other Cameras  it more like
40% is cut out.
I have started to look at Resolve, but it would be as a last resort, it has a very odd GUI
which I'm not comfortable with.
And besides that the debayering in Resolve is not  as good as the ACR plugin, in After Effect.
If I'm in rush to do a project I will sometimes make a  ProRes 4444 In After Effect then
Finish off in FCPx with audio sync  Grading etc...
You can go from 2k to 4k with tiff's that's about it for upscaling.
the reason for 2k Crop and not 1:1 non crop is  there is no line Skipping, so no aliasing and moire
I hope I answered your Questions

FYI: when you import Image files in to FCPx you can Choose different Color Space .
there is 4 or 5 ones to pick, if you do not it will default to Adobe RGB. ;)

PS: keep on a lookout I'm just finishing off a Full 3:2 sensor test(1872x1250) with Film convert Pro applied Etc..
should be up in the next few days.

Thanks for the response
FULL 3:2 sounds great for a project in your workflow and how many frames are you getting?
What color space do you recommend, I've heard that Adobe RGB was the best?
I always wonder how do you frame a shot in crop mode because it demands for further distance from subject, Right?
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

I get 400-500 Frames @1872x1250 23.976,
I use the Adobe RGB Color Space for the Cdng's  in FCPx
in 3x Crop Mode you would want to use Shorter lens, like 24mm = 72 mm
I use my EF 24-70 f2.8L in crop mode mainly, or EF 100mm macro f2.8L
Which turn in to 300 mm , amazing Close ups at 1:1 in macro mode :D

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on December 07, 2013, 02:47:47 AM
I get 400-500 Frames @1872x1250 23.976,
I use the Adobe RGB Color Space for the Cdng's  in FCPx
in 3x Crop Mode you would want to use Shorter lens, like 24mm = 72 mm
I use my EF 24-70 f2.8L in crop mode mainly, or EF 100mm macro f2.8L
Which turn in to 300 mm , amazing Close ups at 1:1 in macro mode :D
AWSOME frame capture, a lot could be accomplished with 36 seconds of 1872x1250.
So it's unavoidable I will need to spend $2000 on those 2 lens, right?
Do you prefer 1872 over 1880?
After these questions I think I'm on track Thanks for the info, I will test out 1872x1250 this weekend.
Canon 5D Mark II

a.d.

Sorry for delay!

Quote from: Kharak on November 17, 2013, 04:37:54 PM
Let me know how a none-programmer like me can help.
Thank You for offer to help!
Post Production: When you have a good workflow, It's cool if you could share it ... screenshots and descriptions. I will add to our Alpha 2 documentation.

Quote from: cmac on November 19, 2013, 08:50:15 AM
Wish You more extremely well paid work, so You could have more free time for the development!
Thanks!

Quote from: pholler on November 19, 2013, 11:57:17 AM
Hi a.d.!

I am having the exact same issues as reddeercity described. The whole module looks like the normal nightly builds, not the one from you.

I don't get it anyway. The a.d.-builds normally have a speed-benefit and some extra-features. Why not include them in the normal nightlies? Is there a drawback?

Greetz
Peter
It's possible, but hardly to maintain.
1. If the code of are changed. Everytimes I need to check if it breaks
2. I have 3 different Respositories (2 bitbucket, 1 dropbox) => 3x test
3. API Development moves to LVInfo => our Interface concept doesn't fit
The big problem is the low performance DIGIC IV ARM CPU, for example
GLDraw On: 1-2MB drop
HDMI plug-in: 1-2MB drop
Currently Iím still trying to wrap my head around how to port the hacks without breaking the API and easy to maintain.

reddeercity

That's Great to hear that you are working
On the 5d2 issue's A.D.
If you need any help , I be glad
To do what I can, specially in the HDMI department
I have several devices I test to test with.
:)

silvertonesx24

Is there any way the card space remaining monitor can be updated in real-time? Or some log be kept so that we can know exactly how much space is remaining on the card? It's pretty much the only thing left in the way of using raw on a professional shoot, because I have only a vague idea of when the space is going to run out.

PressureFM

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on December 08, 2013, 04:48:44 PM
Is there any way the card space remaining monitor can be updated in real-time? Or some log be kept so that we can know exactly how much space is remaining on the card? It's pretty much the only thing left in the way of using raw on a professional shoot, because I have only a vague idea of when the space is going to run out.

Turn the camera off and on.

reddeercity

Just tried the new Dec. 07/13 built From A.D.
:(
There has been a lot a changes, and we are going backwards,
The performances is still very poor, lucky to get 70MB/s
@ 1872x1012 23.976, 1500 frames,
Compared to the Best Built to Date Oct.24th 2013
at 1872x1012 23.976 I Get 42 GB or about 14,000 Frame ! at 75.5MB/s
There is No Recording Frame white rect., where did that go ?
just that ulgy Black Box.
The interface for raw record monitoring has change for the worse,
There again Oct 24th was better , it did not get in the way of view the Lv.
In the Preview Menu, when you select Canon preview mode it would before in Oct 24th built
It would turn all overlays off and leave the raw interface with buffer only displayed.
But now there is 2 semi transparent Bars upper and lower that can't be removed.
Now there is No more Clean HDMI out, unless you turn Off all overlay ,And or  Global Draw Turn Off.
So with that you have no Idea on how much space free you have on the card or if the recording is about to Stop.
If I what to Use my Ninja hdmi recorder to Backup my raw recording I have to Turn Off All overlay then Record.
Before on the Oct 24th built with a hdmi recorder connected to would get a Clean out to the recorder,
With just the Raw interface in the UpperLeft hand Connor of Lv that could be crop out if needed.

Unfortunately I did not Check to see if the 42 GB Wall is broken, For I Have returned back to
the Oct 24th built, its looking like there is no more improvement that can be make to that built.
Its really looks like the 5D2 Can Not Handle the Global Draw On with Raw Recording.
I do not think that implementing a universal Global Draw on for all Cameras, is the right thing to do.
My Vote is to Go Back to the Oct 24th built Style of interface and functionality, (eg. proper hdmi support)
But I think the Dev. are trying to push the MLV format on the 5D2 and it will not work will, just not enough CPU!
There is just enough CPU to maintain the present raw format as it is in the Oct 24th Built.
Please I don't what to Sound Negative About this update and all the Hard work everyone has
done, but I would always choose to have Better Raw recording speed and large frame sizes over
Convenient On Screen displays (eg. Global Draw stuff) considering just about all Field Monitor have
Pecking, Wave from display etc... .
:)   

a1ex

Well, this kind of feedback encourages me to stop developing for raw video (which I don't really use anyway) and just focus on my own interests.

FYI: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html

oddname

Oh listen to the positives and not the, sorry to say it, buts its true, the ***** :)

They tend to sound more than the ones praising you. Despite being less.

togg

"raw_rec: 43GB filesize fixed" !! Wooa! Wonderful, I can't try this now but thanks a lot.

audyerel

Just to let everybody knows that I keep on checking this thread on regular basis, though I'm more just a silent reader but I get really excited when an update is up. We have a community right here in Indonesia that appreciates what a1ex, a.d and everyone else is doing especially on the RAW video development. I have use the raw video in professional projects and the clients are happier than ever due to the quality it have brought to us.
Please keep the spirit up for the sake of passion to reach the very edge of perfection.

Cheers :)
Audy Erel

ARP

A lot of us are still using mark ii's and the fact that anyone is working on releasing new mlraw updates is god sent. If you don't like the latest update just use the old version or make your own, you're not owed anything.

My apologies to the community. Got carried away.

bnvm

He was just expressing some criticisms in the direction development is heading, I don't think he was being rude for the most part. This kind of thing is healthly for development, it is silly how everyone jumps all over someone who dares to question what the developers are doing. Isn't the whole point of these forums is for people to discuss these kind of things or should we close the forums and just use the builds that get provided no questions asked. Keep in mind the latest raw developments are much slower on the 5D2 which is the second most raw capable camera behind the 5D3 all of these changes will have more impact on the even slower cameras. Looks to me like development is primarily for the 5D3 at this point regardless of what that may mean for other cameras.

For the record I am happy with the new builds since I don't need to make the write speed shooting anamorphic, and the magic zoom is very helpful now.

a.d.

Quote from: reddeercity on December 07, 2013, 05:00:01 PM
If you need any help , I be glad
To do what I can, specially in the HDMI department
I have several devices I test to test with.
Thanks, I'll come back for Alpha 2.

@ARP
mlv_rec: There's a new base_prio and it increases speed on 5D2 up to 72-73 (credits baldand). Tommorrow I'll put it in dropbox for download. It's late now. There're still some glitches, for example sometimes the LV freezes for a few seconds during recording.

ted ramasola

Quote from: ARP on December 09, 2013, 09:54:06 PM
What an idiot. Unbelievable. A lot of us are still using mark ii's and the fact that anyone is working on releasing new mlraw updates is god sent. If you don't like the latest update just use the old version or make your own, you're not owed anything.

This is uncalled for. reddeercity did not write anything in his posts that is insulting and he has provided assistance to a lot of users in this forums.
I have seen all your 3 posts. Nothing there that shows any help you have provided but an insulting remark.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

reddeercity

Thanks ted ramasola & bnvm  :)
I will also be honest with my feedback, on new builds,
It's Never to offend or insult, but some my take it that way.
@A.D. Can't Wait to Put your new Built on my 5D2 and give it a work out ;)

Africashot

@ARP, it is thanks to reedercity's post that I can now decide to stick to the old version without having to spend trying and testing the new one for myself; how has your voice been adding to the conversation here?
ML 5D2 & T3i

Audionut

Suffice to say your post was unwelcomed ARP.

Lets dispense with the insults shall we.

a1ex

Quote from: bnvm on December 09, 2013, 11:09:41 PM
He was just expressing some criticisms in the direction development is heading

I was expecting something better than one page of complaining that can can be resumed to "global draw is on by default, we have to turn it off". You can link it to the INFO button or you can have it turn off on timeout (say 5 seconds).

Having yet another option for global draw in the raw recording menu is an usability issue for me (other people pointed it out, for example in the 50D thread). I'd rather add an option in the main globaldraw menu (something like "turn off while recording").

My point was that whining about stuff being broken is not the best way to make us fix it, but proper bug reports are.

mino.rimada

I just wanted to thank Alex and AD, I´m not an expert , so I have been a passive member of the forum. In this case I will only express my support to them and if there is any way to donate to keep you working on this, let me know. Many of us would love to help or donate.

In my case, your work has helped me to shoot in the best way possible my first short film after 14 years since the last one I did when I was in school ,and recently a commercial using green screen.

So, thanks guys...I will try to report bugs in a helpful way the next time I post.

a.d.

The new base_prio for MLV_REC.
MLV_REC.zip
btw
Don't format the card in the camera after recording! You need to switch off & on and then format or it wipes complete ML from card.

ted ramasola

@a.d.

Something minor but just to avoid confusion, you might want to correct the date of your last update in the 1st post. Its 2013/07/02, is this suppose to be 2013/12/02 ?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a.d.

bnvm

Quote from: a1ex on December 10, 2013, 07:09:44 AM
I was expecting something better than one page of complaining that can can be resumed to "global draw is on by default, we have to turn it off". You can link it to the INFO button or you can have it turn off on timeout (say 5 seconds).

Having yet another option for global draw in the raw recording menu is an usability issue for me (other people pointed it out, for example in the 50D thread). I'd rather add an option in the main globaldraw menu (something like "turn off while recording").

My point was that whining about stuff being broken is not the best way to make us fix it, but proper bug reports are.

I can see your point, besides my comment was not directed at you.