5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

Quote from: SpcCb on November 05, 2013, 01:25:33 PM
It's to reduce hot pixels, if I'm not wrong.
Saw it in previous pages here.

IMHO it's not suitable if you don't have hot pixels problem.

mmm, I should try this than.

Quote from: SpcCb on November 05, 2013, 01:25:33 PM

(I switched quickly to the 24-10 build because of black levels accuracy).

What is this black levels accuracy?

SpcCb

Quote from: togg on November 06, 2013, 02:14:14 PM
(...)
What is this black levels accuracy?
Seems there's a black level accuracy issue in previous builds (plus 2013-10-24 build add MLV capability etc.).
Sometimes it's hard to follow because things are moving fast and I don't find any exhaustive change log for the a.d. builds (like we can find for jenkins builds).

However, I don't really see why RAW||Dual ISO black level is still set at 1792 ADU... Maybe there's a reason (5D3' black level is 2048 ADU ?), but it's far than the 'original' black level of 5D2' RAWs (1024 ADU). Plus, white level is set at 15000 ADU, and the original is 15600 ADU with the 5D2.
I think we loose informations & dynamic in those conditions, but I repeat, maybe there's a reason.

Steadicam

First post (so don't flame me), but I've been shooting Raw with various builds since July with few problems except one.  I know it was supposedly fixed but I haven't gotten any of the the builds I've tried to do FPS override with anything less than 1.5 FPS.  I get the repeated frame issue that was supposedly dealt with awhile back.  I know "FPS override" may be a seldom used feature for many so I wanted to see if it was just me or if others can confirm that this is still not functioning.

Again, FPS still broke or just buggy with certain setups?

Anybody?

Thanks

Edit:  Apparently this was my second post.  Maybe it is just me ;)

SpcCb

Quote from: Steadicam on November 08, 2013, 08:55:18 PM
(...)  I know it was supposedly fixed but I haven't gotten any of the the builds I've tried to do FPS override with anything less than 1.5 FPS.  I get the repeated frame issue that was supposedly dealt with awhile back.  I know "FPS override" may be a seldom used feature for many so I wanted to see if it was just me or if others can confirm that this is still not functioning.

Again, FPS still broke or just buggy with certain setups?
(...)
For me this issue was never fixed.
Still get framing 1-2-1-3-1-4-1-n... with low FPS override.

Have you seen if you get the same weird thing with the a1ex builds?
Well, no. Just tried it and it's the same thing. :(

piloui

Had this problem once too. Imported in AfterEffect with the repeat frame 1. I Had this when i created a comp from the .mov and then ajust the fps of the comp.

Solved by creating an empty comp by settings the correct fps and THEN drop the .mov in the comp.

Hope this will help.

SpcCb

Quote from: piloui on November 09, 2013, 06:03:26 PM
Had this problem once too. Imported in AfterEffect with the repeat frame 1. I Had this when i created a comp from the .mov and then ajust the fps of the comp.

Solved by creating an empty comp by settings the correct fps and THEN drop the .mov in the comp.

Hope this will help.
This problem is only in RAW video mode: In regular H264 mode (->.mov file) it works fine with last builds; I'v checked it yesterday.
So you should not have this problem since a long time.

The weird thing is... I'm sure I used a build where low FPS override in RAW video was working fine. It was this last summer, with a1ex' builds.
I'm currently checking all builds to find when it was back (take a looong time). Apparently, it's very old, good builds cannot be find anymore in the download page (or I don't see where) and it was before the magical Dual ISO arrived (hard to make a choice!). Maybe during the autoexec unification (?).

Steadicam

Quote from: SpcCb on November 10, 2013, 12:00:06 AM
This problem is only in RAW video mode: In regular H264 mode (->.mov file) it works fine with last builds; I'v checked it yesterday.
So you should not have this problem since a long time.

The weird thing is... I'm sure I used a build where low FPS override in RAW video was working fine. It was this last summer, with a1ex' builds.
I'm currently checking all builds to find when it was back (take a looong time). Apparently, it's very old, good builds cannot be find anymore in the download page (or I don't see where) and it was before the magical Dual ISO arrived (hard to make a choice!). Maybe during the autoexec unification (?).

Yes SpcCb.  This has only ever shown up shooting FPS override RAW.  It works perfectly ( atleast for me) with h.264.
However, Raw is an extremely important feature for FPS override as it lends itself so much to landscapes and architectural shoots which so heavily rely on grading.

I also thought it was working earlier but as it only appears to occur below 1.5fps I am tempted to now think that the few times I used it successfully must of incidentally been above the 1.5fps threshold. 

I'll have to check the cadence of the frame repeats.  I've mainly seen the same 1-2-1-3-4-1 as you SpcCb.  However, I seem to recall that I've seen different cadences with different settings in the past.

Is there an official bug reporting procedure with the RAW builds or is discussing it here on the forum actually functioning in that regard?  I just want to make sure that I do whatever testing, etc.  is most constructive and beneficial to helping the programmers/testers nail this bug.

SpcCb

Quote from: Steadicam on November 12, 2013, 06:08:18 PM
(...)
Is there an official bug reporting procedure with the RAW builds or is discussing it here on the forum actually functioning in that regard?
Apparently, not yet.

Quote from: Steadicam on November 12, 2013, 06:08:18 PMI just want to make sure that I do whatever testing, etc.  is most constructive and beneficial to helping the programmers/testers nail this bug.
I was thinking like you; did not have time to make tests for a constructive report yet, but I'll do it today.
When tests will be done (in a couple of hours) I'll open a new issue in bitbucket.

ted ramasola

Very happy to report that there is improvement via HDMI monitoring.

Using Latest NB NOV 14.

Camera no longer crash when playing back raw video via ext hdmi monitor.

On my first tests, I was able to preview video.

On my later tests I'm getting NO IMAGE message on the external monitor. This message is shown on a large black background that does not fill up the whole screen,
I can clearly see on the margins/border area my recorded image together with artifacts.

If I remove the hdmi and preview on camera LCD the video is played back normally.

The framing guide is still not giving accurate framing so I still use GD off.

The good news is that in my tests the camera did not freeze anymore.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Kharak

I get good speed like everyone else on newest build.

But I get very random loadings of the modules.

Every third or forth time I turn on the camera, it starts without any modules and says "Modules will load next time" or something like that.

no biggey really, but I see that could be a problem if I was out running and gunning, as I'd have to restart the camera to capture "that ONE shot!!" :.

But perhaps this is just me? cause then a complete re-install might be in order.

once you go raw you never go back

reddeercity

Quote from: ted ramasola on November 15, 2013, 08:47:44 AM
Very happy to report that there is improvement via HDMI monitoring.

Using Latest NB NOV 14.
Camera no longer crash when playing back raw video via ext hdmi monitor.

Hi Ted , what built is this ?
I only see the Oct 24, built (af9a60fe144d), or is there a different
link for downloading the 5d2 raw module ?

ted ramasola

reddeercity

The Nightly Builds have since ported the special features we were using in this fork. Go to the Nightly Builds download for 5d2.212 here: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

reddeercity

Hello  :)
Test out the new A.D. Built Nov., 16- (d84b9cd9e86f)
Global Draw on .
It's Slowed down the camera, With the GD on all the time.
I had lots of issue with Lv freeze, reboot + battery pull.
Write speed was down to about 65 - 68MB/s Normally 75MB/s
So i would only get about 400 - 600 frames @ 1872x1012 , on older builds i get
full card record at that size, (lexar 1000x 32GB).
There was no tone for record or stop, And for some reason we have lost
Clean(no overlayes) HDMI out when recording to a hdmi recorder ?
The only way now is to Clear overlays when recording.
That's fine but there is no way to know about your raw recording info data.
Before,when you have a hdmi recorder plugged in Global Draw would turn off when you start to record raw and the
info bars were at the very top & bottom of screen which was fine ,i could crop that out.
Now the icon & raw info are 1/3 down the screen , so there again you would have to turn off
All Overlay to record Lv to a hdmi recorder for backup. I think this is a important issue needs to be address.

On the Positive note the Hdmi don't crash when you stop recording raw
and the MLV format work better on this build but still slow with limited number of Frames.
At lest for myself i will return to the Oct 24th Built from A.D. and wait until there is more stable builds that have the
same performance level of the oct 24th raw build.
There is a little work around for the hdmi crashing in the Oct 24th built,
i have notice that if you plug your hdmi device in to the camera after it boots up
when you stop recording raw it will not crash or lockup. But if you boot up with hdmi device plugged in
Then it will crash every time upon writing the last buffer block .
:) 

Kharak

a.d.: "The Bad thing: I don't have much time and I also need some help in documentation: post production, sound, proof reading etc..."

Let me know how a none-programmer like me can help.

cmac

Thank You for the hard work a.d. !

Since the addition of the hack will go to the nightly build could You please add the link to them in the first post also, because I really like this thread much more than the general one :-)

Wish You more extremely well paid work, so You could have more free time for the development!

pholler

Hi a.d.!

I am having the exact same issues as reddeercity described. The whole module looks like the normal nightly builds, not the one from you.

I don't get it anyway. The a.d.-builds normally have a speed-benefit and some extra-features. Why not include them in the normal nightlies? Is there a drawback?

Greetz
Peter

bnvm

Quote from: pholler on November 19, 2013, 11:57:17 AM
Hi a.d.!

I am having the exact same issues as reddeercity described. The whole module looks like the normal nightly builds, not the one from you.

I don't get it anyway. The a.d.-builds normally have a speed-benefit and some extra-features. Why not include them in the normal nightlies? Is there a drawback?

Greetz
Peter

I believe they only work on the 5D2 and may cause issues with other cameras.

Kharak

I have very hard getting framing to be accurate on newest build.

Very rarely I get accurate framing in camera. I'd like very much if the white frame from previous build came back again.

And before, I could record without liveview but still see frame counts and expected and all, but now I need global or no info at all and usually global doesn't record.

I think I will be reverting back to previous build.

lokki19

Hi all, here is a short video shot inside the Hanted House of LaRonde, a Six Flags amusement park in Montreal, were I worked in October for the Halloween Event.
The light condition where less the ideal but the result is pretty good (at least by my standard).
It's all shot with the same lens and hand held without any gear (it can be a bit shaky in some places but it still work all right).
I choosed to do it in these conditions to try to see how far the ML can go in terms of usability in real gigs.
The edit might look a bit cheesy (and I agree) but it was mostly fooling around with the music.

Workflow I used was .RAW->RawMagic->AE (Proxies/Grading/FX)->PPRO (trough Dynamic Link)->Vimeo
This workflow is extremely fast and efficient and ensure optimum quality of image throughout the process (no transcoding).

BTW, for people who says that proxy take to long to setup in AE to be usefull, there is a little but extremely helpful (and free) script that does it all in a few click. It's called rd_approximate_v1.0

Appreciate the comments!

Update: had to put password because of copyright things, sucks!

Update 2: Oupa, Sorry, forgot to put the password: professionnel

Ethan_Reitz

Quote from: lokki19 on November 24, 2013, 02:35:35 AM

Appreciate the comments!

Update: had to put password because of copyright things, sucks!

Understood. You going to give the password?

Kharak

saw your video before you had to put on a password and I thought it looked extremely good!

Looked sharp and couldn't see any noise as of what I remember.

But now that I'm prohibited from seeing it again, I really wanna see it :)

lokki19

Quote from: Kharak on November 25, 2013, 04:13:35 PM
saw your video before you had to put on a password and I thought it looked extremely good!

Looked sharp and couldn't see any noise as of what I remember.

But now that I'm prohibited from seeing it again, I really wanna see it :)

I updated my original post with the password.

mrnv45

really dope!!

is there any way i could get those tv shots?? i have a music video that has a setup similar... but i like the way u did it.. i wanna end my video how you started yours.. if not thats cool, if so ill credit you in the video description thanks.

Kharak

Quote from: lokki19 on November 25, 2013, 04:22:06 PM
I updated my original post with the password.

aah thanks man!

Lighting is filmlike and at 1:41, when you see that guy from the side and he opens his mouth just a bit more than a human should, that was really good.