5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bnvm

What africashot said, main difference is file size and personal preference. You will get better performance with 10 bit log. I am currently bringing in 16 bit dng's and converting them to 10 bit log dpx files. Performance is much better since the dpx is debayered and dpx files seem to be the fastest image file format to work with that I have used so far.

vikado

when connecting to an external monitor via hdmi.
sometimes the white rectangle recording area is only showing one white line instead of showing 4 lines to make a rectangle and that one white line is way off where its supposed to be.
anyway to fix this?
thank you in advance.
v2.3.next.2012OCT04.5D2212

also had Recording frame set to White rect. and Global draw at "always on"

5d2 user

reddeercity

Hello all  :)
Just doing some testing on the Oct4th built, in Crop mode to check out if the Framing was actuate
With A.D. built. No problems
ISO 100 with ND Fader about 2 stops down
Edited the 16bit Cdng's Native in Final Cut Pro X  2k project 2048x1024.
I could only get between 1000 & 1200 frames pershot on lexar 64GB 1000x card
But good enough small project like this one.
Lens  Canon EF 24-70mm f2.8L in 3x crop mode = 72-210mm
here is the results

:)

Malcolm Debono

Small bug I'm experiencing with Oct12 build:
After pressing the AF-ON button to focus, the raw video crop (white rectangle and black bars) disappear and the full image appears. Going into ML menu and back out seems to redraw them. Also applies for cropmarks. Still need to check latest build.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

vikado

Quote from: vikado on October 17, 2013, 03:33:42 AM
sometimes the white rectangle recording area is only showing one white line instead of showing 4 lines to make a rectangle and that one white line is way off where its supposed to be.
anyway to fix this?
thank you in advance.
v2.3.next.2012OCT04.5D2212

also had Recording frame set to White rect. and Global draw at "always on"

[img]http://i.imgur.com/DoBlGQS.jpg/img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/zpw9Jyo.jpg?1?4459/img]
managed a workaround for the white framing problem.
if you turn on your camera first and then you connect your monitor via hdmi port,
the framing will be correct, but if you connect your hdmi while your camera is off and then you turn on your camera,
you'll get the white framing issues.
i kept repeating it and it kept on repeating the same result.
go fig
5d2 user

[email protected]

hi, I'm having a problem interpreting the file. dng using DaVinci Resolve Lite. I can see some pink pixels, while using the aftereffects file is interpreted correctly, even if you lose the picture style. I would understand if it happens to other people, or if possibly someone has found a way to interpret the picture style in aftereffects without having to manually change from camera raw, because you only see the first frame ...

(p.s. I don't understand how to post the images....)

ted ramasola

Quote from: [email protected] on October 22, 2013, 02:21:00 PM
hi, I'm having a problem interpreting the file. dng using DaVinci Resolve Lite. I can see some pink pixels, while using the aftereffects file is interpreted correctly, even if you lose the picture style. I would understand if it happens to other people, or if possibly someone has found a way to interpret the picture style in aftereffects without having to manually change from camera raw, because you only see the first frame ...

(p.s. I don't understand how to post the images....)

what version of da vinci lite are you using?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

[email protected]

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

[email protected]

avasarin

Quote from: vikado on October 17, 2013, 03:33:42 AM
anyway to fix this?

Hi Vikado, have you try to select ML grayscale from the RAW-->Preview menu? This always works with my EVF and external monitor! When you have to monitor directly from the DSLR screen you have to choose Canon.
5dmk2 - Nikkor set(20-28-35-50-105mm), Vivitar 85-105 - BMPCC
http://www.frabiatofilm.com
https://www.facebook.com/stringssenzatempo

vikado

Quote from: avasarin on October 23, 2013, 08:11:51 AM
Hi Vikado, have you try to select ML grayscale from the RAW-->Preview menu? This always works with my EVF and external monitor! When you have to monitor directly from the DSLR screen you have to choose Canon.
hey thanks!
i needed a monitor during a shoot for the director and  for really tight shots as well.
the white framing kept on getting wonky so i decided to tape up the monitor screen where the white frames are supposed to be.
it worked, but its good to know there's an ML option to make it work properly.
also, i've noticed the hdmi connection kept on getting disconnected during the shoot,
so i think im going to invest in one of those HDMI lock ports to insure connection never gets dropped with the slightest bump.

EDIT:
btw, we shot a comedy short last week with my 5dm2 with the oct.4 build.
it was only a one day shoot, which lasted about 15hours.
used about 400GB of raw footages and going the ACR route instead of Resolve.
i spent the last few days processing the raw files and syncing them up with the audio files.
and just by scrubbing through the takes, besides the dead pixels, they're are looking great.
no major errors so far.
i should have a final cut in a about 2 weeks or so to show.

5d2 user

Kharak

Looking forward to it, Vikado :)

I love seeing this camera in action!

I shot some Chroma Key scenes with my 5d2 for a short, its in post now and I can't wait to see the outcome. The VFX guy was very pleased with the 14 bit quality of the chromas.
once you go raw you never go back

vikado

Quote from: Kharak on October 23, 2013, 01:47:26 PM
Looking forward to it, Vikado :)

I love seeing this camera in action!

I shot some Chroma Key scenes with my 5d2 for a short, its in post now and I can't wait to see the outcome. The VFX guy was very pleased with the 14 bit quality of the chromas.
oh that's real good to hear.
prores or dnxhd?
and after just a few takes, my 5d was getting real real hot!
5d2 user

Kharak

Quote from: vikado on October 23, 2013, 09:29:23 PM
oh that's real good to hear.
prores or dnxhd?
and after just a few takes, my 5d was getting real real hot!

Yeah, mine got really hot too, but didn't smell of burned wiring though :)

Exported to dnxhd, with adjustments done in ACR beforehand.
once you go raw you never go back

avasarin

Quote from: vikado on October 23, 2013, 11:52:56 AM
hey thanks!
i needed a monitor during a shoot for the director and  for really tight shots as well.
the white framing kept on getting wonky so i decided to tape up the monitor screen where the white frames are supposed to be.
it worked, but its good to know there's an ML option to make it work properly.
also, i've noticed the hdmi connection kept on getting disconnected during the shoot,
so i think im going to invest in one of those HDMI lock ports to insure connection never gets dropped with the slightest bump.

With my Zacuto EVF I enable the 2.35 frameline directly from the EVF. For the external 7" monitor I just taped up it.
For the HDMI lock, I use the SmallHD one, it works properly.

For the dead pixels, have you try to set the Adobe Camera Raw to 2003, instead of 2010? You find it in one of the last menu pages of CR. I noticed that swapping it will eliminate all the dead/white pixels(if you mean this issue). Don't know why... Let me know!
5dmk2 - Nikkor set(20-28-35-50-105mm), Vivitar 85-105 - BMPCC
http://www.frabiatofilm.com
https://www.facebook.com/stringssenzatempo

CerteZ

where i can find 5d2 alex raw builds/forum topic?

a.d.

@vikado
Are you sure You use my release? 'cause I switch off the cropmark for hdmi mode  ???

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/

vikado

Quote from: a.d. on October 25, 2013, 12:01:52 AM
@vikado
Are you sure You use my release? 'cause I switch off the cropmark for hdmi mode  ???

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
i believe so a.d.
this is what it says on the boot screen.

"Magic Lantern version: v2.3.NEXT.2013OCT04.5D2212
Mercurial changeset :f620a8f2b27d+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-10-04 15:20:32 UTC by ad@MagicLantern."

i got the build from here.
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads
5d2 user

reddeercity

Hello all, Just test the new A.D. built with the new format "mlv" raw module for 5d2.
Will it has problems, it kept crashing the Lv, reboot fix it, & one battery pull.
There is a reduction in performance, i could not do any better than About 750 frames @1856x1004 lexar 1000x 64GB card
I know there is a options for buffer rate etc... but Not knowing what there are support to be set at for max writing speed.
So its all guess work for that, unless some one can enlighten me on the buffer system.
For some reason i had Frame skipping off but it would show up in the Lv
"frames skipped"then  it would either crash Lv  & or stop recording
and also did loses the raw record module on a crash, re-install the module from PC, Ok then.
and i see with A.D. built we lost  "1880"  :(
Gobal Draw is not the same from the non mlv, it had a Black box around the crop marks which i do not like, and the crop mark
was off to the left side of the Lv screen for 1872 frame size.
I do notice my 5d2 heating up a lot faster then before to about 62-63 degrees C
Just playing around with settings, normally i would have to  work it hard for at lest 15 minute before i see temp come up.
Then i tried to convert some of the mlv raw files & mlv2dng would crash on some of the file
and have a message about bad header or something like that.

On the plus side,I was able to get some files out & read the metadata.
For the most part it did have the right information about the lens, f stop, exposure which is great :)
So i will keep to the Non mlv format for right now until more Bugs can be Worked out.
But I do like the format i see great possibilities with it just needs to be more stable.

Edit: I also just tried the A.D. Non mlv raw record Module, and its working Great, no problems.
Lexar 1000x 64GB card
Record 1872x1012 23.976p 76.0MB/s Continuous
& 1880x1016 23.976p 76.0MB/s mostly Continuous :)

vikado

Quote from: avasarin on October 24, 2013, 08:56:49 AM
With my Zacuto EVF I enable the 2.35 frameline directly from the EVF. For the external 7" monitor I just taped up it.
For the HDMI lock, I use the SmallHD one, it works properly.

For the dead pixels, have you try to set the Adobe Camera Raw to 2003, instead of 2010? You find it in one of the last menu pages of CR. I noticed that swapping it will eliminate all the dead/white pixels(if you mean this issue). Don't know why... Let me know!
just imported the dng sequences to ACR and switched to 2003 and i can confirm the hot/dead pixels are gone!
i still get white pixels but only in black areas.
thanks bro!
i did the manually clean the sensor trick and i dont have any dead pixel issues anymore as well.
5d2 user

Doyle4

How do mac user's convert MLV please?

togg

Quote from: Doyle4 on October 25, 2013, 11:52:45 AM
How do mac user's convert MLV please?

+1  and if someone could recapitulate de benefits over normal raw it would be great!

dossisman