5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcolm Debono

Is there any way to get the white rectangle to remain on screen during raw recording like in previous builds? Would be quite useful to get accurate framing (although at the moment I'm using the cinescope cropmark since I'm recording in 2.35:1 aspect ratio).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

CerteZ

reddeercity

Not to worry,  ;)
My 5d2 Temp runs anywhere from 58 to 63 degrees C when recording Raw.
At 1872x1012 23.976p
Cools down to about 49 to 53 degrees C on Standby.
Just like any CPU, there have a thermal threshold of, i think 70 degrees C
and will shut down when it to hot. But as long as you don't go over 68 degrees C
there should be no problem.
I just finish a interview with a dentists this afternoon & he could not remember his lines,
so i had my camera running for about 1 hour recording Take after take and never got over 63 degrees C
to a total of 50 GB in data.
:)

reddeercity

Quote from: CerteZ on October 10, 2013, 12:48:07 AM
overheating problem

it looks like a hot pixel problem,
which ML built are you using, A.D. or Alex ?
Some 5d2 have problem with hot pixel with A.D. Builts.
i have no problems but my camera only has 12,000 activation.
Try doing a manual senses cleaning in the Canon menu.
and again temp. is no problem unless you go over 70 degrees C

Malcolm Debono

Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

reddeercity

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on October 10, 2013, 07:14:32 AM
Might be focus peaking turned on
Yes i think you are right, i didn't think of that  :D

a.d.

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on October 10, 2013, 12:24:21 AM
Is there any way to get the white rectangle to remain on screen during raw recording like in previous builds? Would be quite useful to get accurate framing (although at the moment I'm using the cinescope cropmark since I'm recording in 2.35:1 aspect ratio).
Recording frame> White rect
Interface> Feature+

@CerteZ
Card warm-up?

Seagull21

Hey guys, new to this, but reading all your posts has been super helpful.

I'm using a Transcend 32gb 1000x in the mkii, using f620a8f2b27d OCT.4 . Here's what I've been getting (Small hacks on, 1gb warm up, S-jpeg):

- 2:1 1880x940 continuous w/ global draw off.
- 2.20:1 1880x854 continuous w/ global draw on.

Seems like it tops out at about 72mb/s. EDIT: Most i've seen is 74.3mb/s using 1.85:1

Just got the card today; going to shoot some more tests tomorrow.

GutterPump

Hi everybody,

Sorry for my bad english but i m french.

Well i has a question about these versions of magic lantern for raw video.
I want to know if the risks to brick the camera are same than the nightly versions of ml ?

Thanks you

guilhermemartins

Quote from: GutterPump on October 11, 2013, 07:44:53 PM
Hi everybody,

Sorry for my bad english but i m french.

Well i has a question about these versions of magic lantern for raw video.
I want to know if the risks to brick the camera are same than the nightly versions of ml ?

Thanks you

@Everybody

Can we get clear on this?

I don't believe any build can break your camera (except maybe for double ISO stuff). I do believe the camera may cease functioning due to some error which is normally corrected by dropping the battery with the camera still on (this actually happens sometimes with the nightlies :) ), and worst case scenario a clean card would do the trick.
That is, if the camera was "healthy" before the install, and with the appropriate firmware.
Anyone says different? really

@GutterPump

That being said, I tend to feel these builds from the 5DMKII raw topic tend to be more stable because we have a.d. "watching over us" and doing some extra testing while maximizing compatibility with the MkII before they come out. If something does go wrong, ML forum tends to be the best place to look for a solution. Take  look at the Troubleshooting threads and i think you will come up with the same conclusion.
Anyway the disclaimer still stands USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISKS, to which I would add, FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY.

@devs & super dooper old-timer members

Although I'm new at the forum i've read a lot of it for a while now, so when I see a question i think i can answer I do (at the risk of sounding smug or pretentious). Just trying to help! If this is somehow a disservice please let me know.

Cheers All

PS: Shouldn't we open a tread to try and translate some of the documentation tho other languages? We could set up a peer review sistem and everything. I'd be Happy to help with Portugese.
I have been using ML for all my production company`s jobs since the release of 2.3. most of them available at.
www.mariachisaudiovisual.com.br

bnvm

Yes ML can brick your camera. If nothing else it requires a firmware update, that alone can brick your camera. I believe the risks are small and that is why I use it.

There is no different between the nightly builds and a.d's in terms of safety. All the dev's are careful and the only difference with a.d's build is that he adds some of his own custom features to it. It is based entirely off the nightly builds and to my knowledge he doesn't to any safety checks to the base code before posting his compiled version.

The only thing that could make it a little safer is  that he has to manually compile his builds so they always fall a little behind the nightly time wise, he also only seems to compile when there is a significant change to the code so bugs my be skipped over or caught by others before he compile his build.

reddeercity

"# faster algorithm for detect black level vs less accurate"
i have not tried the new built yet but
Dose this mean better/more accurate black levels?
or is it not a noticeable differences, just for system stability ? :)

Seagull21

Shot a test today. Everything went fairly well. For my first time, it was awesome editing RAW video like I edit stills. I'll have to get the aspect ratio correct out of premiere next time..

https://vimeo.com/76742955 I don't have the free vimeo bandwidth to upload the pro res.

Notes: Lots of artifacts on asphalt/pavement. Transcend 1000x 32gb tops out just over 74mb/s, not enough for continuous 1.85:1 1880x1016.

Doyle4

@a.d.

When cr2hdr is re made possible to choose an output location? bought an ssd and would like to save as much write too it as possible as its a software launcher mainly, if not all good man as ill place the app onto my 2nd optibay hdd dude  :)

Update:

Forgot it out puts to where the images are located, been use to always placing the folder on desktop... my bad.  :P

audyerel

My latest work preview using 5DmkII entirely on RAW 1880x800p25,
Glidecam shots of Cheerleaders ;)

or
https://vimeo.com/76044569

CerteZ

Quote from: a.d. on October 10, 2013, 11:58:04 AM
Recording frame> White rect
Interface> Feature+

@CerteZ
Card warm-up?

no card warm-up ..and when the screen shot was taken ..i just turned on the camera ..for screen shot and waited to see what happens..and got this 56 only in live view

Doyle4

Anyone else getting this on 11th build CF Benchmark?

Got 2 malloc errors..

Kharak

yooo! Need help! ACR interprets my 5DII footage as Canikon. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but as I've started using Vision Log (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8816.0) I need ACR to interpret the footage correctly for Vision Log to work properly.

I am using RAWanizer. I have the idea that his might be an issue with raw2dng and sought to replace the raw2dng inside RAWanizer with the newest version available from a.d., but the RAWanizer version is 276 kb and the one from a.d. is 132 kb... So there must be something more to the raw2dng in RAWanizer than just the normal raw2dng.

Am I right to assume that this has something to do with raw2dng or is it something inside 5D MK II?

once you go raw you never go back

reddeercity

no problem with the 5d2, i remember back in june or july this was a problem.
But it had to do with the early version of  raw2dng.
Have you tried just to use raw2dng without RAWanizer or raw2cdng ?
raw2cdng has a option to output 10bit Log if you didn't know ;) 

robert.roth001

Quote from: reddeercity on October 16, 2013, 03:16:15 AM
no problem with the 5d2, i remember back in june or july this was a problem.
But it had to do with the early version of  raw2dng.
Have you tried just to use raw2dng without RAWanizer or raw2cdng ?
raw2cdng has a option to output 10bit Log if you didn't know ;)

What's the difference between.. say.. 16 bit linear and 10bit log? Trying to find an answer online but it's rather confusing.. so.. simplified for our purposes? :)

ntan097

Quote from: Doyle4 on October 15, 2013, 05:43:31 PM
Anyone else getting this on 11th build CF Benchmark?

Got 2 malloc errors..

Yeah I got that too with the 11th build

reddeercity

Quote from: robert.roth001 on October 16, 2013, 04:54:40 AM
What's the difference between.. say.. 16 bit linear and 10bit log? Trying to find an answer online but it's rather confusing.. so.. simplified for our purposes? :)
I will do my best to explain this.
Linear color space space is what it means, If 0= to Black & 256= Prue White with 12 Stop of Latitude
if you draw a line though a graph the line would be straight .
With the same graph in Log or logarithmic color space with the same stops the line would be Curve not straight .
Why ? because when the pixels are remapped ,there are push-down on the whites & pushing-up on the blacks.
and increasing the Mid-Range Latitude.Then became flat and low contrasted .
So you would express linear as Gamma 1 and Log would be  Gamma 2.2
So let say Pixel Black from 0-16 well be remapped to black 16-25 And pixel white 256-235 well be remapped to 235-220
and 220 to 25 are more or less remapped across to each other.
I hope a didn't make this more confusing to you, here are some links that talk about
Log and linear,that sure clear thing up.
http://www.cirquedigital.com/howto/color_tutorial.html#Log+and+Linear+Color+Space
http://www.qvolabs.com/Digital_Images_ColorSpace_Log_vs_Linear.html

If you are looking for a log look try this:
Take a a jpeg photo with Technicolor CineStyle Picture Style,
the picture style will be burned in the image, and record some raw video
extract the one dng import both in to Photoshop and adjust the dng to match the log Jpeg image
and save is as a (.xmp) now you have a flat log like image to work with.
;)

bnvm

Quote from: robert.roth001 on October 16, 2013, 04:54:40 AM

10 bit log stores values using a logarithmic curve rather than linear like 16 bit does. The effect of this is that 10 bit log can store the same amount of dynamic range with nearly the same freedom for color correction with only 10 bits rather than 16 and with about %63 of the file size. Also the exposed film naturally has a logarithmic density relative to light intensity so film is essentially log encoded as well therefor working in log is similar to working with scanned film.

robert.roth001

Okay that all makes sense. So if I take my .raw files and use cdng to make them 16-bit linear and load them into resolve and use BMD Film color space, do I need to worry about any of this? What if I do the same thing but with 10-bit log then? From the sounds of it 10-bit log will perform the same as 16-bit linear. So is there any reason to put my footage into 16-bit linear instead of 10-bit log? Sounds like 10-bit log is the way to go.

Africashot

The log footage will appear de-saturated and will need grading with a curve or LUT to restore the contrast contained in the original 16 bit file... that and the different file size will be the main difference.
ML 5D2 & T3i