5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valwello

Quote from: SpcCb on October 01, 2013, 02:20:21 PM
I think there's a mistake somewhere :)

No mistakes, Doyle4 is right: 160 and multiples are not digital iso's, recommended for video recording.

a1ex

Look in ML menu, Expo->ISO->submenu ;)

PressureFM

Quote from: valwello on October 02, 2013, 10:30:57 AM
No mistakes, Doyle4 is right: 160 and multiples are not digital iso's, recommended for video recording.

No no no, 160 and multiples ARE digital ISOs, whereas multiples of 100 is analog, native ISO for the sensor.

Listen to a1ex on this one.

valwello

Quote from: PressureFM on October 02, 2013, 10:40:12 AM
No no no, 160 and multiples ARE digital ISOs, whereas multiples of 100 is analog, native ISO for the sensor.

Listen to a1ex on this one.

Well, everywhere in the net you can read the native iso is 160 an multiples.
Personally I read only one article saying the native iso is 100 instead.
So which is the truth?

ch_d

So. What about "Highlight Tone Priority"?
Since this was a little crappy with h264 ... what about RAW Video - should we turn this on?

UPDATE: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6967.0
5D MII

silvertonesx24

With raw, does it even matter what ISO we've set?

Rewind

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on October 02, 2013, 05:29:13 PM
With raw, does it even matter what ISO we've set?
Yes, as long as they are 'natural' analog ISOs (100, 200 etc without digital gain)

guilhermemartins

Quote from: Rewind on October 02, 2013, 05:40:42 PM
Yes, as long as they are 'natural' analog ISOs (100, 200 etc without digital gain)

Can anyone expand on that?

I'm under the impression that on the mk II the ISO 320 has the best noise/grain because it is acctually 400 ISO, with some sort of digital negative gain, supressing the noise in dark areas(on H264 that is). Am I mistaken?

Which are the Ideal ISOs for raw recording ? which ISO would be "0db" in your opinion?

I have been using ML for all my production company`s jobs since the release of 2.3. most of them available at.
www.mariachisaudiovisual.com.br

Rewind

When you shooting raw, digital gain doesn't affect recording at all.
So, if you shooting raw at iso 320 (400 -0.3 ev), the result will be the same as at iso 400.

Digital gain applies after the raw stream is taken.
When you shooting h.264 things become a bit more complicated (negative digital iso may have better highlight roll-off etc.), but in general, if you're shooting at iso 320, your result noisewise will be pretty much identical to iso 400 with negative exposure adjustment in post.

ted ramasola

Also worth noting are gains made using recent changes.

With Sept. 26 build.

Higher continuous recording resolutions is now at 1856 x 1004 at 1x mode.

AND you can now set Photo/Stills at RAW even with Raw_rec module ON.

This is good for those wanting to take quality stills while RAW video module is engaged.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a1ex

Quote from: ted ramasola on October 04, 2013, 09:41:14 PM
Also worth noting are gains made using recent changes.

With Sept. 26 build.

Higher continuous recording resolutions is now at 1856 x 1004 at 1x mode.

AND you can now set Photo/Stills at RAW even with Raw_rec module ON.

This is good for those wanting to take quality stills while RAW video module is engaged.

What are you talking about?

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on October 04, 2013, 09:46:24 PM
What are you talking about?

The previous builds need raw stills to be set to be set to non to get optimum performance.

edit.. I checked my records . seemed like the 1856 x 1004 was already achieved since 2 months ago. sorry about that.

Its just the RAW stills settings which I found as something new as I've always left it at NONE to get continuous record with raw.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Doyle4

For iso issue..

Read:
http://photocascadia.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-iso-noise-test/

Also in there is a link to a well known tech company who also did a similar test.. results are there for you.

reddeercity

Quote from: Doyle4 on October 05, 2013, 01:45:54 AM
For iso issue..

Read:
http://photocascadia.wordpress.com/2011/05/13/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-iso-noise-test/

Also in there is a link to a well known tech company who also did a similar test.. results are there for you.
yes but this is over 2 Years old!
I don't think there used Magic Lantern hack to do there Tests,
and i read here on the ML form  that ML digital ISO's have a different algorithm
Then the Canon digital ISO's which is cleaner.
All my Video Samples i posted here on the Magic Lantern Form,
Have  (-.03) negative gain,
Give it a try, as long as you expose correctly there will be no noise.
I use this set up on all my Paid Work. :)

robert.roth001

Quote from: Doyle4 on October 05, 2013, 01:45:54 AM
For iso issue..

Read:

Yeah this is completely invalid for raw recording. This is how the camera acts with h.264.. Completely different beast with raw. :)

Doyle4

Can you explain how its invalid? Raw is uncompressed multiple images, h.264 is compressed.

i shoot alot of stuff at 1600, much better than 100, i also use 320 and 640, do some test's and you will see.

robert.roth001

Because what comes out of the camera is 100, 200, 400, etc, iso. 160, 320, etc etc are applied as digital gain, aka processing done inside of the camera. This matters in h.264 because that is what is written to the file. However, the raw file is still only 100, or 200, or whatever you shot it at. When you open the raw file up in your editor of choice the digital gain is just  metadata. Basically, something that you can change at will. You can take a 200 iso raw file and make it look exactly like the 160 iso raw file. When you open the file up in ACR there is a whole lot of metadata being displayed. That isn't necessarily bad, but it's faulty to think that's what is coming off of the sensor. Open the same DNGs up in Resolve and switch the colorspace to BMD film. That will give you a flat log profile that comes right off of the sensor.

Now, I haven't been able to do my tests yet to confirm this 100%, but that is how I understand it to work. I know for a fact that's how metadata and ACR works. Now whether or not the difference in raw files between 160 iso and 200 iso is just metadata... I'm going to have to test that, which I definitely plan on doing.

However what I do know is that anything other than the native ISOs (100, 200, 400, etc) when shooting raw is processing applied after coming off the sensor and by definition raw files do not have any processing burned into the image.

Kharak

Quote from: robert.roth001 on October 05, 2013, 03:32:25 AM
Because what comes out of the camera is 100, 200, 400, etc, iso. 160, 320, etc etc are applied as digital gain, aka processing done inside of the camera. This matters in h.264 because that is what is written to the file. However, the raw file is still only 100, or 200, or whatever you shot it at. When you open the raw file up in your editor of choice the digital gain is just  metadata. Basically, something that you can change at will. You can take a 200 iso raw file and make it look exactly like the 160 iso raw file. When you open the file up in ACR there is a whole lot of metadata being displayed. That isn't necessarily bad, but it's faulty to think that's what is coming off of the sensor. Open the same DNGs up in Resolve and switch the colorspace to BMD film. That will give you a flat log profile that comes right off of the sensor.

Now, I haven't been able to do my tests yet to confirm this 100%, but that is how I understand it to work. I know for a fact that's how metadata and ACR works. Now whether or not the difference in raw files between 160 iso and 200 iso is just metadata... I'm going to have to test that, which I definitely plan on doing.

However what I do know is that anything other than the native ISOs (100, 200, 400, etc) when shooting raw is processing applied after coming off the sensor and by definition raw files do not have any processing burned into the image.

After my latest test, I agree with this. My "extreme" iso tests all showed to be at 3200 ISO. even though they were set at 12000 iso etc.
once you go raw you never go back

Doyle4

@a.d.

Whats the details of new build please dude?

ch_d

Nice one! With the 2013-10-04 version i got: 77.8MB/s on my 5DM2 with KB 1000x 64GB.
(in crop mode 79,6MB/s)

thank you!
5D MII

PressureFM

Yeah, nice speed increase with the latest build. Saw over 77MB/s on my 32GB KomputerBay 1000x card.

xNiNELiVES

Awesome a speed increase. A rarity these are!

vikado

what's are the steps for optimum speed write again?
like do i have to format the card on a card reader or inside the camera?
5d2 user

ted ramasola

@a.d.

Thanks for posting update.

What are the changes in this build?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Doyle4

WOW.... 83mb Write!!! Best update yet!!