5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raf702

So external monitors or evfs dont work properly with raw recording on the 5d2 or 5d3? I was about to pull the trigger on an evf too.

silvertonesx24

Quote from: a.d. on September 13, 2013, 11:05:29 PM
I know I've said a few times, but... HaCKeD doesn't work on 5D2. I'll remove it in the next release.

Hmm... I don't have a HDMI device, also I still don't know  thoroughly how ML handle the HDMI signal. However it's possible to check if the HDMI is connected and we could do some HDMI special stuff.

btw
Today is Friday 13th  :o

It's definitely happened outside of Friday the 13th haha.

Unless you warm it out with recording a raw file without the monitor first, it will crash just after it empties the buffer from your recording. It freezes for a split second on the last green dot, and then the live-view goes off and the crash error is displayed.

My findings are that it does not crash if you both:

Record 1 raw before plugging in or powering up the external monitor.
Use a mode other than hacked after "warming" it up.

If you power cycle the device, and try again without "warming up" with a raw again, it will crash.
If you shut off live view after you've "warmed" it up and turn it back on, it will NOT crash.
It may or may not crash when going to the regular canon menu system.

silvertonesx24

Quote from: raf702 on September 13, 2013, 11:22:52 PM
So external monitors or evfs dont work properly with raw recording on the 5d2 or 5d3? I was about to pull the trigger on an evf too.

I don't know about the 5d3, but the 5d2 is definitely shaky with raw and HDMI. If you are planning on shooting anything more serious than random tests, I would not use it at this time.

ted ramasola

Quote from: raf702 on September 13, 2013, 11:22:52 PM

External monitor will work on the 5D mkII. Just a couple of tips:

-The rectangular guides don't work, its offset, so mask your monitor with tape or transparency.

-To remove the distracting off centered guide use ML grayscale in preview menu. (the image will still be in color via hdmi and no more skewed guides)

-Do not preview your footage with the HDMI monitor attached as your camera will freeze.

One big benefit of raw is the image is all HD even when recording unlike h264 that it will downrez when recording.

Its great for keeping focus. Tip: since raw doesnt burn in profiles, you can crank up sharpness in pic profile for easy focusing, raw doesnt burn in the sharpness unlike h264.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

togg

Quote from: a.d. on September 13, 2013, 11:05:29 PM
I know I've said a few times, but... HaCKeD doesn't work on 5D2. I'll remove it in the next release.

Yuppi! Finally we will get rid of this bitch  8)

reddeercity

I do know with HaCKeD view on  i get more frames with it on then with off.
At lest on my 5D2  :)

Kharak

I asked for help a couple of days ago or 2-3 pages back, regarding Crop Mode. As it was not working properly on my 5D MK II.
I had a black border on the right side of my frame. some 30-50 pixels.

Thanks to Reddercity I managed to do a complete re-install of ML and now I get full resolution in crop mode. BUT! Recording time is so small! Only 300-400 frames.

Now I'm not sure, but with whatever weird build I had mixed with the newest build, before I re-installed. I could sometimes record continuesly in crop mode. Now this was ofcourse with those 30-50 missing pixel grids on the right side of the frame, but even now when I've tried 2048 instead of 2152, its still pretty much the same amount of frames.

I find this very weird. Unless perhaps my camera never recorded with higher resolution in crop mode and just 3x'ed the image in to normal 1880x800.

How many frames do people normally get with 2152x916 and 2048x9xx (2:35.1) ?

With regards.

Kharak.
once you go raw you never go back

guentergunter

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 14, 2013, 12:31:38 AM
External monitor will work on the 5D mkII. Just a couple of tips:

-The rectangular guides don't work, its offset, so mask your monitor with tape or transparency.

-To remove the distracting off centered guide use ML grayscale in preview menu. (the image will still be in color via hdmi and no more skewed guides)

-Do not preview your footage with the HDMI monitor attached as your camera will freeze.

One big benefit of raw is the image is all HD even when recording unlike h264 that it will downrez when recording.

Its great for keeping focus. Tip: since raw doesnt burn in profiles, you can crank up sharpness in pic profile for easy focusing, raw doesnt burn in the sharpness unlike h264.
I also have only those problems and am using the given solutions.

In other words: I can confirm, that HDMI and RAW work pretty good together!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

reddeercity

Quote from: Kharak on September 14, 2013, 02:50:26 PM
Thanks to Reddercity I managed to do a complete re-install of ML and now I get full resolution in crop mode. BUT! Recording time is so small! Only 300-400 frames.

How many frames do people normally get with 2152x916 and 2048x9xx (2:35.1) ?

With regards.

Kharak.
I'm Glad you got things working! :)
On my 5D2 when i record in Crop mode I keep the frame size to
2048x930 23.976p 2.20:1 
i get full card record on my 32GB lexar1000x = 8,500 to 9,000 frames
64GB Lexar 1000x card 42 Gb = 14,238 frames @ 76.2 MB/s
Here is a sample of this Capture.
Plus this video was edited & process on the Native cdng's in FCPX no proxy

raf702

I have an issue when I go into the first crop mode the LV displays a grey and pixelated view. But when I go into the second crop mode, LV displays perfectly fine. Any reason why this happens?

reddeercity

Quote from: raf702 on September 14, 2013, 11:43:21 PM
I have an issue when I go into the first crop mode the LV displays a grey and pixelated view. But when I go into the second crop mode, LV displays perfectly fine. Any reason why this happens?
That is the ML Grayscale view for actuate framing  but when you record it go to
the normal color view.
you can change this in the Raw sub-menu
under preview, you have 4 Choices.
Auto
Canon
ML Grayscale
HaCKeD View.
Auto will display the "ML Grayscale"
i use either Canon or  HaCKeD, but i use A_D_ hack built,
the one with the disclaimer of hot pixels etc...

raf702

I see, I thought it was a glitch. Thanks!

reddeercity

reddeercity

Has any one tested capturing the hdmi signal ?
i did a test with my AJA Kona LHi card & my Atomos Ninja
Both tell me i'm getting a 1080i 29.97 YCbCr 8Bit ?
and when i hit record on the 5D2 to record Raw video  the signal
Dose not drop down it stay at 1080i 29.97 YCbCr 8Bit. ???
I though this was not Possible.
Or did i miss something.
So now you can have a backup recording to Ninja while you record Raw to CF
at the same time  :)

reddeercity

Pijer

hello,
i am new to the forum, would like to thank all smart guys for their work - incredible. Could You pls advice me on which build is the most stable - working for RAW video on mkii?
Thank You.

PressureFM

Quote from: Pijer on September 17, 2013, 10:16:01 AM
hello,
i am new to the forum, would like to thank all smart guys for their work - incredible. Could You pls advice me on which build is the most stable - working for RAW video on mkii?
Thank You.

Check the very first post of this thread for answers :)

DolphinCreative

Hey everyone I was recently hired by this yoga studio to shoot a video at Whole Foods. I shot the whole thing in raw, except for the time lapse's of course.  Oh and by the way, it was almost totally dark on that roof, i used absolutely no lights. most of the time I was in 3200iso or 6400iso. Let me know what you think. Thank you ML!

~Dustin

dolphincreativemedia.com

rawmania

Quote from: reddeercity on September 17, 2013, 06:27:06 AM
Here is my test i talk about

This is a great news!
There is also a way to control the rec button (remote)?
Video output (rca) can be used as a video assist during shooting?
Thanks

Kharak

Quote from: DolphinCreative on September 17, 2013, 10:34:40 AM
Hey everyone I was recently hired by this yoga studio to shoot a video at Whole Foods. I shot the whole thing in raw, except for the time lapse's of course.  Oh and by the way, it was almost totally dark on that roof, i used absolutely no lights. most of the time I was in 3200iso or 6400iso. Let me know what you think. Thank you ML!

~Dustin

dolphincreativemedia.com

Nice, I recorded some 3200 iso shots last night. Haven't had a look at them yet, but your video made me wanna do it right now! :)

Did you use NeatVideo? or ?
once you go raw you never go back

DolphinCreative

Quote from: Kharak on September 17, 2013, 01:20:45 PM
Nice, I recorded some 3200 iso shots last night. Haven't had a look at them yet, but your video made me wanna do it right now! :)

Did you use NeatVideo? or ?

I used magic bullet denoiser 2. It works great with regular footage, but with raw its extremely effective, and very easy to use. Thanks man and good luck! Post your footage I would like to see it.

PressureFM

Some random shots I did the last two weeks, unfortunately YouTube compression absolutely kills the quality  >:(
Shot using the standard Canon Zoom Lens EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM and some shots with variable ND filter.

xvince1

Quote from: reddeercity on September 14, 2013, 11:31:15 PM
I'm Glad you got things working! :)
On my 5D2 when i record in Crop mode I keep the frame size to
2048x930 23.976p 2.20:1 
i get full card record on my 32GB lexar1000x = 8,500 to 9,000 frames
64GB Lexar 1000x card 42 Gb = 14,238 frames @ 76.2 MB/s
Here is a sample of this Capture.
Plus this video was edited & process on the Native cdng's in FCPX no proxy

Wonderfull cut, and cool musik too !!!  :)

reddeercity

Quote from: xvince1 on September 17, 2013, 08:48:28 PM
Wonderfull cut, and cool musik too !!!  :)
Thanks ,That's much appreciated  :D
All these little Vignette i produces are Seen at the Local Independent Movie theater,
as fillers before the Main Movie Feature.
Here in Central Alberta, Canada. :)

dradutu

shot with komputerbay 64 x1000, the last shots are taken in h264. i have to learn to ettr, was scared it wouldn't keep the highlights but it does it.

here's the vimeo link, for some reason could not embed it http://vimeo.com/arteelastice/marky