5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reddeercity

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 07, 2013, 02:47:18 AM
I tested them both with skin tones and color charts and I also don't see , to my eye at least, any difference.
Thanks Ted, that what i kind of thought.
There's Less of a load on my System with dng(3.8MB) then tiff's(11.5MB)
I can play the image sequence  in real time at full Res. in fcpx ;D

F.T.I. ARMY

I see all kinds of clean looking RAW video! But mine always looks so nasty! Ive try to use neat video on it to get rid of the noisy but it just seems to make it more of a mess. its super noisy. HELP ME PLEASE!

MARK II
SIGMA 35MM 1.4 DG
davinci resolve
iso @ 100

Zao

Are they a screen grab from your final export or individual frames from the .raw? Might be your export settings.
5Dii/T3i & a few super taks

F.T.I. ARMY

reddeercity

Are you using Magic Lantern ISO's or Canon ? 
I use Magic Lantern ISO "-.03"
that pushes down the ISO or give you Negative Gain
From the image i see i would choose 200 ISO
use Negative Gain -.03 = 160 ISO .
I think that's should help with the noise problem you have .

dossisman

Quote from: reddeercity on September 07, 2013, 05:17:14 AM
Are you using Magic Lantern ISO's or Canon ? 
I use Magic Lantern ISO "-.03"
that pushes down the ISO or give you Negative Gain
From the image i see i would choose 200 ISO
use Negative Gain -.03 = 160 ISO .
I think that's should help with the noise problem you have .

Also, how are you importing your footage? When I import through Camera RAW I use a little of their NR to tame the grain, although my noise has never looked that nasty, more like film grain... hm.

dossisman

Here's another music video I shot with the RAW module.  Lenses used: Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 Rokkor X, 28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5, 70-200mm f4.

dossisman

Quote from: F.T.I. ARMY on September 07, 2013, 03:19:41 AM
I see all kinds of clean looking RAW video! But mine always looks so nasty! Ive try to use neat video on it to get rid of the noisy but it just seems to make it more of a mess. its super noisy. HELP ME PLEASE!

MARK II
SIGMA 35MM 1.4 DG
davinci resolve
iso @ 100

Can you export as an uncompressed TIFF instead and upload that? That looks an awful lot like JPG compression.  If you're exporting your frames as JPG that might be why you're getting these compression artifacts.

F.T.I. ARMY

Im using "5D2_WIN_raw2dng" to convert the RAW. file to a DMG. file. Then I take it into davinci resolve. As soon as I play the video in davinci resolve the video just looks like trash. Ive even Imported it in to After Effects and still looks like trash.

heres a tiff. I know its dark. It dont look as bad to me. I took it right from After Effects. Maybe its davinci resolve?

gtsofilms

Whenever I import into davinci resolve the footage looks terrible.  I use ACR and AE and export from there and the footage always looks clean that way for me. 
5D2 + Other Stuff :)
https://vimeo.com/chester112

reddeercity

Quote from: dossisman on September 07, 2013, 06:00:02 AM
Also, how are you importing your footage? When I import through Camera RAW I use a little of their NR to tame the grain, although my noise has never looked that nasty, more like film grain... hm.
I use to import thought Photoshop CC and save my Tiff's that way, i find Photoshop
Handles the DNG better then AE. I think because Photoshop deal with it as a photograph
not as video, and i do not see noise.
But now i use the raw2cdng and import CDNG,s directly in to Final Cut Pro X
as a image sequences so i by pass Adobe camera raw altogether.
I have notice  the image is much more Cleaner.
The only time i see noise or grain is when i under expose to much. 

gdicus

KomputerBay warning.

I had one of two cards fail and they did not honor the warranty.

JulianH

Quote from: dossisman on September 07, 2013, 06:04:13 AM
Here's another music video I shot with the RAW module.  Lenses used: Minolta MD 50mm f1.4 Rokkor X, 28mm f2.8, 135mm f3.5, 70-200mm f4.
How do you use your Minolta MD lenses on the 5D Mark II? Do you use an adapter with optical element or did you convert the mount in some way? The flange distance for MD lenses is shorter than that for EF lenses so a 'normal' adapter wouldn't work, right?

I have lots of MD/MC lenses (used with my GH2) and I'm thinking of selling them cause they don't fit the EF mount...

dossisman

Quote from: JulianH on September 07, 2013, 12:18:51 PM
How do you use your Minolta MD lenses on the 5D Mark II? Do you use an adapter with optical element or did you convert the mount in some way? The flange distance for MD lenses is shorter than that for EF lenses so a 'normal' adapter wouldn't work, right?

I have lots of MD/MC lenses (used with my GH2) and I'm thinking of selling them cause they don't fit the EF mount...

I'm using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Minolta-Rokkor-Digital/dp/B003EB0AY8/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378562189&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=opteka+md+to+ef

It works like a charm with my EF lenses. The adapter has a back element that corrects the focal flange.

dossisman

Quote from: F.T.I. ARMY on September 07, 2013, 06:39:08 AM
Im using "5D2_WIN_raw2dng" to convert the RAW. file to a DMG. file. Then I take it into davinci resolve. As soon as I play the video in davinci resolve the video just looks like trash. Ive even Imported it in to After Effects and still looks like trash.

heres a tiff. I know its dark. It dont look as bad to me. I took it right from After Effects. Maybe its davinci resolve?

I'm not really sure what your settings are in Resolve (besides, I've decided to grade in After Effects after the roundtrip failed on me several times), but like I said before... your JPEGs look like they're too compressed.  That TIFF looks pretty clean to me.

Also, are you underexposing and then adjusting exposure in post? That can also cause artifacts.  One thing I've learned with the RAW files is that proper exposure is paramount.  As soon as you start pushing the exposure, the footage gets grainy (in my case, it's got some sort of grid-like noise pattern, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this?).

JulianH

Quote from: dossisman on September 07, 2013, 03:59:19 PM
I'm using this:

http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Adapter-Minolta-Rokkor-Digital/dp/B003EB0AY8/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1378562189&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=opteka+md+to+ef

It works like a charm with my EF lenses. The adapter has a back element that corrects the focal flange.
Yeah, exactly, with an optical element... I've read that kills some sharpness. But maybe it's not so crucial for video. What's your experience?

dossisman

Quote from: JulianH on September 07, 2013, 05:16:28 PM
Yeah, exactly, with an optical element... I've read that kills some sharpness. But maybe it's not so crucial for video. What's your experience?

I've never compared sharpness between the lens with a Minolta camera and using the adapter on my 5DmkII to be able to tell the difference.  I've been using those exclusively for video, though, as they tend to give me a more cinematic look.  It's still sharp enough but not as crisp (razor-sharp has never been my personal preference... if there's one thing I like about cinema lenses is the softer-edge feel of them).

The JPG compression here doesn't really do it justice, but just to give you an idea.

poty

Hello, I am an Italian guy!

I would like to record continuously with the 5d2 to 1880x800 (2.35:1)

you can do it with a fast card? at this moment I can only record 500 - 600 frames! SunDisk with a 32 gb extreme 60mb / s (on paper)

changing card I could?

and why do I have to look closer at the premiere 102.5% with respect to the ratio 2.35:1 screen? recording at 1880x800

F.T.I. ARMY

Quote from: dossisman on September 07, 2013, 04:13:27 PM
I'm not really sure what your settings are in Resolve (besides, I've decided to grade in After Effects after the roundtrip failed on me several times), but like I said before... your JPEGs look like they're too compressed.  That TIFF looks pretty clean to me.

Also, are you underexposing and then adjusting exposure in post? That can also cause artifacts.  One thing I've learned with the RAW files is that proper exposure is paramount.  As soon as you start pushing the exposure, the footage gets grainy (in my case, it's got some sort of grid-like noise pattern, not sure if anyone else is experiencing this?).

YEAH this shot was def underexposed. Its the one shot I had at the time when I was playing with the RAW. That tiff looks clean. but for some reason Im still having problems. I just dont understand what im going wrong. Ive tried to do everything in AF. But damn it takes for ever and it dont look any better. I love how fast and easy davinci resolve is.

Can anyone send me a link to a good work flow?

reddeercity

Quote from: F.T.I. ARMY on September 08, 2013, 08:43:22 PM

YEAH this shot was def underexposed. Its the one shot I had at the time when I was playing with the RAW. That tiff looks clean. but for some reason Im still having problems. I just dont understand what im going wrong. Ive tried to do everything in AF. But damn it takes for ever and it dont look any better. I love how fast and easy davinci resolve is.

Can anyone send me a link to a good work flow?
what platform are you on PC or Mac?
I'm developing 14 bit Work flow with Cdng's on the Mac
with Final Cut Pro X & Motion plus with the ability to link to adobe products.
If you interested let know and i will explain how it works ;)

F.T.I. ARMY

Quote from: reddeercity on September 08, 2013, 09:06:02 PM
what platform are you on PC or Mac?
I'm developing 14 bit Work flow with Cdng's on the Mac
with Final Cut Pro X & Motion plus with the ability to link to adobe products.
If you interested let know and i will explain how it works ;)

I HAVE BOTH. But I use Sony Veges and AF. My PC is my Video computer

reddeercity

Quote from: F.T.I. ARMY on September 08, 2013, 09:15:24 PM
I HAVE BOTH. But I use Sony Veges and AF. My PC is my Video computer
I use to work in Vegas back in version 8.
Have you tried using "raw2cdng" and  import dng's
directly as a image sequences ?
the "raw2cdng" have the option to change
the image to 16, 12 bit liner or 10 bit Log.

How are you exporting from A.E. ?

F.T.I. ARMY

Quote from: reddeercity on September 08, 2013, 10:18:11 PM
I use to work in Vegas back in version 8.
Have you tried using "raw2cdng" and  import dng's
directly as a image sequences ?
the "raw2cdng" have the option to change
the image to 16, 12 bit liner or 10 bit Log.

How are you exporting from A.E. ?

YEAH I tried to directly importing and it didnt work

reddeercity

Quote from: F.T.I. ARMY on September 08, 2013, 11:06:42 PM

YEAH I tried to directly importing and it didnt work

I see you are exporting as H264 ?
If you are, and then importing in Vegas you are not really in
a good format for editing!
I would use the Lest compressed format that your system can handle.
QT intermediate  or a AVI would be better to use .
i would choose for a avi= blackmagic 10bit 444 ,if you have it (download the codec from blackmagic)
or in QT= Blackmagic 10bit, uncompressed 10bit 422 etc.....
and i always select trillions of color, if you have that option.
But if you have A.E. on the Mac you can just export as a ProRes4444. :)

F.T.I. ARMY

Quote from: reddeercity on September 09, 2013, 01:57:22 AM
I see you are exporting as H264 ?
If you are, and then importing in Vegas you are not really in
a good format for editing!
I would use the Lest compressed format that your system can handle.
QT intermediate  or a AVI would be better to use .
i would choose for a avi= blackmagic 10bit 444 ,if you have it (download the codec from blackmagic)
or in QT= Blackmagic 10bit, uncompressed 10bit 422 etc.....
and i always select trillions of color, if you have that option.
But if you have A.E. on the Mac you can just export as a ProRes4444. :)

OK we are getting some where lol. the footage looks so much better when I render it out with AVI. I downloaded the Blackmagic 10bit 422. But I had trouble finding it. (I dont know if I got the right one) and I dont know where to fine it. Im guess it should be under the "format options"??. and I could only keep the depth at millions of colors