5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

togg

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 17, 2013, 12:05:14 PM
Worked for me when a.d told me to that :)

It didn't work :( Can I use an older build for raw recording and the last build for dual iso? And what autoex.bin should I use?

Scipione205

I'm not sure about the capabilities of MKII... I will shoot a short film this month, and I really want to shoot RAW but nobody in my city (who I know, in Brindisi Italy) has got the MKIII; I can find only MKII.

Is it possible to shoot continuous 1920 x 800 @23.976 fps ? I read on the main topic about 1880x840 at 24 fps so I thought that [email protected] will be possible.

Anyone tried ?

togg

Quote from: Scipione205 on August 17, 2013, 03:56:53 PM
I'm not sure about the capabilities of MKII... I will shoot a short film this month, and I really want to shoot RAW but nobody in my city (who I know, in Brindisi Italy) has got the MKIII; I can find only MKII.

Is it possible to shoot continuous 1920 x 800 @23.976 fps ? I read on the main topic about 1880x840 at 24 fps so I thought that [email protected] will be possible.

Anyone tried ?

1920 is not an option on the mkii. But it's not really a problem.

Scipione205

what do you mean? I thought that since 1880x940 is supported for continuous shooting (which is 1'767'200 pixels), maybe 1920x800 would be (wich is 1'536'000 pixels, so about 231'200 pixels less).

That's only a simple tought, assuming that the MkII can handle the calculations (1920x800 isn't 'simpler' than 1880x940, due to bayern pattern etc.), and thinking only about the CF slot writing speed.

jeger

togg

Quote from: Scipione205 on August 17, 2013, 05:36:29 PM
what do you mean? I thought that

1920 is simply not possible on mkii. You can find information about this limitation on the forum.

alexp

Quote from: dossisman on August 16, 2013, 02:42:02 PM
Here's a teaser for a music video I shot with my MarkII.  I used two 32GB Komputerbay x1000 cards, and they were great!

For post-processing I used fatpig's BATCHelor exclusively and it worked like a charm.  My workflow turned out pretty simple.  I'd edit with the Cineform proxies straight out of BATCHelor, then opened the timeline in After Effects, replaced footage with the DNG's, corrected, then applied FilmConvert.

Sounds interesting. What is a BATCHelor? I googled  it but nothing comes up.

Doyle4

Quote from: togg on August 17, 2013, 02:14:20 PM
It didn't work :( Can I use an older build for raw recording and the last build for dual iso? And what autoex.bin should I use?

Not sure man, best to ask in the general chat section, i dont want to say go ahead and find it bricks your camera, as far as im aware the autobex.bin gets updated to allow the modules to work.

Doyle4

@a.d

On the cr2hdr is possible in future update to view activity log in the app as it process? i noticed it shows at the end but be nice to watch and see which files are been process correctly/incorrect like the windows version?

Thanks man and GUI version working sweet man.

kidkaelen

Hey guys ive been searching all night and just made an account so I could post this. I just came back from a skatepark with amazing lighting, I shot all raw video on my mark ii at 1280x720 (16:9) ratio 24 fps... For some reason when I edit it in photoshop, save as tiff, then open in quicktime as sequence it looks extremely grainy.. I forgot to mention but I was shooting at iso 160 - 320 at times with a 1/50 shutter speed to 1/80. The standard video looked 100x better on my mac then this raw.. I know im doing something wrong but i just dont know what.. any suggestions? also incase you were wondering I was shooting with a 24-105L if that helps.. my memory card is a lexar 1000x 32 gb..

alexp

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 20, 2013, 10:46:52 AM
Also, in ML menu make sure that centre framing mode is set to x5 mode :)

Where is this setting ML? I can't find it.

Doyle4

ML = Magic Lantern, ML Menu = Magic Lantern Menu = press trash  :)

alexp

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 17, 2013, 09:11:44 PM
ML = Magic Lantern, ML Menu = Magic Lantern Menu = press trash  :)

Thanks Doyle4. Is it in Focus Box Settings, where Snap Points should be set to: Center to x5 RAW?

alexp

When I start shooting RAW, the (white) resolution guide box goes away and comes back 10 seconds later. Is there a way to make it stay and not disappear as soon as REC is pressed? 

Doyle4

Quote from: alexp on August 18, 2013, 04:42:08 AM
Thanks Doyle4. Is it in Focus Box Settings, where Snap Points should be set to: Center to x5 RAW?

Yeah should be in there, cant remember my self as i don't use it much at all.

Focus box disappearing, again im not 100% dude. sorry.

cmac

Quote from: Scipione205 on August 17, 2013, 03:56:53 PM

The resolution You mention is not an option. However a 1920x084 can be set in ZOOM mode - 5X.
The closest at 1X is 1880x786 - which also is normal to use.

What to use is up to You. I think that the scaled picture is just as good + the benefit of using the lens at normal 1x ratio.

Both are giving me continius - with Transcend 1000x 16GB card - first is 62Mb/s the second is lower.

Images are in the spoiler
[spoiler]
First is the scaled 1880 image:

And then little cropped 1920 image:

[/spoiler]

togg

Is there a way to disable the creation of ProRes 4444 in the raw2dng from the first page? I'm on a Mac and Son of Batch is slower. Or should I use this raw2dng instead? http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5508.0

Which one is better?

Doyle4

Open up RAW2DNG, drop the application into it, you will be asked if you want a workflow and proress.

togg

Quote from: Doyle4 on August 18, 2013, 07:09:42 PM
Open up RAW2DNG, drop the application into it, you will be asked if you want a workflow and proress.

This doesn't work on the one from the first page. Only on this one ---> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5508.0

Doyle4

thats the version you need dude!

Scipione205

The resolution You mention is not an option. However a 1920x084 can be set in ZOOM mode - 5X.
The closest at 1X is 1880x786 - which also is normal to use.

What to use is up to You. I think that the scaled picture is just as good + the benefit of using the lens at normal 1x ratio.

Both are giving me continius - with Transcend 1000x 16GB card - first is 62Mb/s the second is lower.
[/quote]

Yeah I think I got it: it's impossible to record raw 1920xsomething, the maximum in 1x is 1880x786 wich I can upscale to 1920x800 ; or I can record in crop mode 5x at 1920x804 (then I have to crop 4 pixels).

The 5x is ok only If I can borrow super narrow and super fast lenses (I want cine-depth of field and there are a lot of action scenes with narrow lenses), and that's quite impossible.

I'm not sure if upscaling will work well... we have already the moiré... but the RAW dynamic range is awesome... :'(

Anybody can tell me where I will find why 1920xsomething is not an option? I know that it's a software limitation but I'ms truggling in finding something in the forum.

Thanks you're awesome

guentergunter

Many pages back, there is a description about what you ask.

The 5D2 encodes the H.264 material directly from an internal RAW-buffer. This RAW buffer is the one ML (=magic lantern) reads and directly saves to the CF card. And this buffer has only those 1880 pixels.
That means: H.264 is also upscaled, but inside the camera! So, you may beleave it's true 1080p, but it isn't!

I would always rather take the 1880 RAW material and upscale it outside the camera. It will always and definitely look better than H.264!

By the way: On the 5D3, this internal RAW buffer is 1080p. So, it's not upscaled to encode H.264. That's also the reason why this cam can save 1080p RAW without crop.
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

Kabuto1138

Hey guys,

Just saw a recent posting asking how to disable the prores option in RAWDNG, just wondering, is there an option to ONLY make the prores files?

thanks for the help!

Doyle4

Quote from: Kabuto1138 on August 19, 2013, 11:09:17 AM
Hey guys,

Just saw a recent posting asking how to disable the prores option in RAWDNG, just wondering, is there an option to ONLY make the prores files?

thanks for the help!

Not too sure why you want this option when shooting RAW but let it convert and delete the folder with the RAW dng's? the proress option is there for backup/preview smaller file to work with.

Kabuto1138

I would like this option so I can do my edit, then export and edl, using that edl I'll know which are the only DNGs I'll need to convert from RAW.  Is just to my edit.

Doyle4

the RAW file will still need converting to produce DNG's