5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

claudiozaga

problem:
i use last modules , but when i convert with raw magic the cinedng is PINK!
i use APERTURE for Color correction and in this software is PINK file, but in Davinci is normal color
what is the problem?

in the old modules no have problem

sorry for my english

regards

reddeercity

Just Testing the July 25th built & i had a problem in the LV,
I'm getting random moving blocks of multiply pixels in Crop mode only,
there were showing up in canon preview as green blocks and
in the ML B/W preview they show up as white blocks.
But only in crop mode! its OK in 1:1 view.
When back to the July 11th built & i don't have this problem.
Its almost like hot or dead pixels, I have never had a problem until now.
5D2 has only 11,000 activation's. I still need to check the files to see
if there is any corruption :)   

hornblower

(2013/07/11 bild)
Resolution 1880 x 800.
24 fps
I used Raw2dng, and later Lightroom to edit the dng files (in some cases) and convert them into jpgs, I tried to use Davinci Resolve but couldn't import the files. How can you do it?

You can see some problems (01:53 in crop mode and 03:12 ).

SORRY IT IS VERY LONG

vikado

Quote from: hornblower on August 01, 2013, 02:48:21 PM
(2013/07/11 bild)
Resolution 1880 x 800.
24 fps
I used Raw2dng, and later Lightroom to edit the dng files (in some cases) and convert them into jpgs, I tried to use Davinci Resolve but couldn't import the files. How can you do it?

SORRY IT IS VERY LONG

http://vimeo.com/71461674

Download the recent update for resolve and/or use raw2cdng.exe and choose 12bit or 16bit.
5d2 user

hornblower

Thank you vikado; I downloaded the recent update. When I use raw2dng I drop the file into the exe, how can I choose 12bit or 16bit?

disjecta

Quote from: hornblower on August 01, 2013, 02:48:21 PM
(2013/07/11 bild)
Resolution 1880 x 800.
24 fps

SORRY IT IS VERY LONG

I don't mean to go on a rant here or disrespect anyone's work but I'm not sure what is the point of posting video that does not represent the strengths of shooting in RAW. A lot of footage I have seen, and this is no exception, shows high contrast scenes that have a large amount of over- and underexposure. These kind of examples look no different than if I shot video with my 5D2 without Magic Lantern. So I would ask anyone considering posting video to do so with the intent of demonstrating why it's worth shooting RAW. Show some scenes that cannot be captured using h.264. How about some detail in the shadows while maintaining cloud structure on an overcast day. Let's get a sense of what 13 stops of latitude looks like.

Again I'm not trying to offend anyone or be negative in any way, just encouraging everyone to show what's unique about RAW. I will be posting some things soon myself once I get the time to shoot.

hornblower

No problem. Sure you are right. My first objective with the test was to know the workflow (excuse if my english is bad). I used Lightroom wich I hadn't used a lot. I used a predefined style and later play with the image. You can change that later in postpo as WB. I encourage you to make your own tests. And if you are worried about what others will think about RAW (if they don´t know what RAW is) you can yourself teach them the way you like.
My conclusion is that the workflow is very hard (12 mins, 64 Ggs Komputer Compact Flash gave me two days working), but , if Magic Lantern gains stability it worths it. Thanks

Africashot

Quote from: hornblower on August 03, 2013, 06:22:55 AM
No problem. Sure you are right. My first objective with the test was to know the workflow (excuse if my english is bad). I used Lightroom wich I hadn't used a lot. I used a predefined style and later play with the image. You can change that later in postpo as WB. I encourage you to make your own tests. And if you are worried about what others will think about RAW (if they don´t know what RAW is) you can yourself teach them the way you like.
My conclusion is that the workflow is very hard (12 mins, 64 Ggs Komputer Compact Flash gave me two days working), but , if Magic Lantern gains stability it worths it. Thanks
As far as workflow is concerned I am just working on my 3rd project involving ML RAW and I am now editing cine form proxies done through batchelor in premiere and then duplicating the timeline and re-linking them to the DNGs in AE. Although this is far from perfect you do at least get to work with the full quality without adding compression before editing. You could also try RAW2CDNG if you'd like to use resolve in the mix (it only takes cinema DNG files) 
ML 5D2 & T3i

Clemens

Quote from: Africashot on July 29, 2013, 03:43:01 PM
Other folks with 5DII are using it too :D just hit the 5x zoom botton with raw video on and press record, its that simple!
But I'm still having the same problem... couldn't find a way to get it working :(

jeff

Quote from: Africashot on August 03, 2013, 08:25:33 AM
...try RAW2CDNG if you'd like to use resolve in the mix (it only takes cinema DNG files)

Just wanted to let you know that this is no longer true. As of version 9.1.5 (released mid-July) Resolve now supports regular DNG files converted from Magic Lantern RAW files.

See http://nofilmschool.com/2013/07/magic-lantern-dng-raw-files-supported-davinci-resolve-9-1-5/

Rolfe Klement

This might be me missing something obvious.

I set the 5d to record at 30fps - it says 27.something in exact FPS at 1600*900

I bring the DNGs into resolve and render out and it still runs normal speed.

The MOV files shows 24fps so I didn't bother conforming in FCPX

How do I get that slightly slow motion feeling (24/30speed) with RAW?

It works fine with H264 on the camera...

thanks

bnvm

I don't use final cut pro so I have no idea. However if it is similar to after effects it may be an issue with the way FCPX interprets the dng sequence. In AE when I import a dng sequence it comes in at 30 FPS regardless of what it was actually shot at. If I create a 24 FPS comp and add the footage it will playback realtime. That is because AE recognizes that it is a different frame rate and converts if from 30 FPS to 24 FPS to maintain realtime playback, most of the time this is the behavior you want. If I wanted the dng sequence to play back slower at 24 FPS instead of 30 FPS I have to change the frame rate of the dng sequence to 24 FPS and add it to a 24 FPS comp. Now AE thinks that both comp and footage are 24 FPS and the footage will playback slower.

Redrocks

Quote from: bnvm on August 05, 2013, 05:08:57 PM
In AE when I import a dng sequence it comes in at 30 FPS regardless of what it was actually shot at.

There's a setting in the import section of AE preferences - Sequence footage - the fps you choose there is your default.

Rolfe Klement

FartingPuppyProductions

I dont have a mac and would like to use the new firmware for a 7d. I am using it in a 5d but would love to have the 7d fir file. Please someone ;) pls send it to me at [email protected]
Farting Puppy Productions
Gene Greenwood - Director / DOP
www.fartingpuppy.com - www.youtube.com/genegreenwood

Doyle4

Quote from: FartingPuppyProductions on August 08, 2013, 07:27:29 AM
I dont have a mac and would like to use the new firmware for a 7d. I am using it in a 5d but would love to have the 7d fir file. Please someone ;) pls send it to me at [email protected]

You need to go the 7D post in RAW section this post is under.

Doyle4

What is Flexible info screen? cant find anything to do with it in the ML menu.

Cheers  :)

a.d.

@Doyle4
Prefs>Config file>Restore ML defaults
Restart
Info

Doyle4

Quote from: a.d. on August 08, 2013, 01:58:45 PM
@Doyle4
Prefs>Config file>Restore ML defaults
Restart
Info

@a.d
Thanks man!

Doyle4

Dont know whats changed in latest build but im now getting 83-92mb Write speed on my Trancend 1000x 32gb on my mkii :D

Update: Just got 97.9mb Write!! Super good :D was previously getting 69-70..

krummi

Does anybody have experience with the VAF-5D2B?

Aliasing and moire and just false detail in general is really holding back some of the deep focus stuff I like doing, but at the same time I also like shooting with wide lenses and I know that was an issue with the original model which they say they have fixed in the "B" revision. I'd really like to hear from somone who has shot with it, especially in RAW as I don't know at this point if I should sink more money into the MKII or save up for the MKIII

xNiNELiVES

A.d., what have you done!? 8mb/s more write! Wow awesome job man.

I'll test with my komputerbay 32gb 1000x soon.

kgv5

Quote from: krummi on August 08, 2013, 05:30:33 PM
Does anybody have experience with the VAF-5D2B?

Aliasing and moire and just false detail in general is really holding back some of the deep focus stuff I like doing, but at the same time I also like shooting with wide lenses and I know that was an issue with the original model which they say they have fixed in the "B" revision. I'd really like to hear from somone who has shot with it, especially in RAW as I don't know at this point if I should sink more money into the MKII or save up for the MKIII

hi
check my VAF-6D thread in hardware and accessories, i believe vaf-6d is technically the same as vaf-5d2b, just little different shape. Wide lenses works very well, i tried with tokina 11-16 and sigma 24 1.8. It can be little soft in the corners when wide open but it is much better than the first vaf-5d version (as seen in philip bloom review) I put the link to my dropbox where you could find 6d vs 5d3 raw dng frames. in terms of aliasing and other artifacts they look the same imho.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

krummi

I'll check it out, thank you very much!

noix222