5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guentergunter

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 08, 2013, 10:23:03 PM
Yes it [external Monitor via HDMI] works on 5d2.

1. Its better than h264 since it does not down sample to 480 when you record but stays in HD.

2. You have to turn off the rectangular crop marks by choosing ML grayscale in raw video>preview since the crop marks are off centered on your external monitor. You will have to mask the monitor for your aspect ratios the old fashioned way, also do not playback or review recorded footage with external monito as it will lock up your camera. You'll have to remove battery to trocover.

To Point 1, I agree.

But not with the second point. The white frame is (in my case) nearly correct.
It's just moved a bit to the left (out of the monitor) and comes back in from the right. So only the left and right borders are wrong, but they would align with the monitor frame anyway, so I can confidently ignore them.
The upper and lover borders on the other hand are obviously important (since I record 2.35). Except a little discontinuaton in the line due to the shift, they match.
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

Euan

Quote from: andyshon on July 09, 2013, 01:50:33 PM
Here's a little film I've been working on, using Magic Lantern RAW on 5D2 (and a little 5D3) and a load of timelapse.

Thanks to everyone on here, especially a1ex and a.d. Without MLRAW it would have all been timelapse.

Lovely work and a fine soundtrack.

xNiNELiVES

Simple help required:
First off I just installed version 2.3 of ML. I then installed the newest June 29 build off of the bitbucket repository.

Everything works fine except 2 problems
1)when Im in live view and hit set to record, the first set starts recording h264. Then I hit the set button again. This time it stops h264 and starts RAW. Shouldnt ML disable h264?
2)I can't get the RAW video menu to highlight as if it's on. I'm in live view I don't know what could be the problem... Because of this I can't change the resolution or the aspect ratio.

ted ramasola

Quote from: guentergunter on July 09, 2013, 08:34:48 PM
To Point 1, I agree.

But not with the second point. The white frame is (in my case) nearly correct.
It's just moved a bit to the left (out of the monitor) and comes back in from the right. So only the left and right borders are wrong, but they would align with the monitor frame anyway, so I can confidently ignore them.
The upper and lover borders on the other hand are obviously important (since I record 2.35). Except a little discontinuaton in the line due to the shift, they match.

Based on my monitor and with others the white rec is off centered to the left and also upwards so this CANNOT BE RELIED ON and also distracting. Both vertical and horizontal centering is off.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

lagunak47

so how do i get accurate framing for 5x crop on the mark ii?

ted ramasola

Quote from: lagunak47 on July 10, 2013, 04:34:49 AM
so how do i get accurate framing for 5x crop on the mark ii?

For now use the LCD on your 5d2 to get proper framing in 3x crop mode(5x magnify) and set preview to either ; auto or ML grayscale. I suggest using auto as its more convenient when you shift back to 1x mode.

added:

Also, while framing using auto is accurate, it is in grayscale and slightly pixelized and does not refresh in real time and this is so only when in preview/standby mode, upon start of recording the screen will revert to normal canon 5x magnification and real time refresh, AND the framing is slightly off.

So, with this handicap, I think this is useful only when the camera is locked down, and the subject does not move about.

You frame the subject first, then press record.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

lagunak47

Quote from: ted ramasola on July 10, 2013, 04:47:38 AM
For now use the LCD on your 5d2 to get proper framing in 3x crop mode(5x magnify) and set preview to either ; auto or ML grayscale. I suggest using auto as its more convenient when you shift back to 1x mode.

added:

Also, while framing using auto is accurate, it is in grayscale and slightly pixelized and does not refresh in real time and this is so only when in preview/standby mode, upon start of recording the screen will revert to normal canon 5x magnification and real time refresh, AND the framing is slightly off.

So, with this handicap, I think this is useful only when the camera is locked down, and the subject does not move about.

You frame the subject first, then press record.

okay, thought i was doing something wrong but thats just how it is for now. I was going to buy a blackmagic pocket cinema camera and rig it out with 16mm lenses but if the raw hack progresses enough i might just stick with the trusty old 5d=]

lagunak47

here's the latest thing I've shot. Testing record time/resolve workflow/noise reduction/stabilization etc.

maspack

Is there a way to turn those info off and get a clean screen on raw recording?  It's hard to frame when covered with the text  :-\

andyshon

@Euan - Thanks man

@dariSSight - The frame rates in this vary from sync speed down to a shot every 30 secs, and ISOs 100 up to 3200. Horses for courses really. Night scenes were often captured at 3200 ISO, and little or no noise reduction was used in those shots as it created artefacts. But they were captured at least 4K, so noise is partially averaged out at 1080p. And onlining uncompressed 12 bit has kept banding at bay until the very end. The 5D3 was hired in as a spare body for a commission, so I thought I'd give it a go.

sm105

What is the maximum resolution in crop mode for the 5D2? I've read that it's 2144x1076, but is it possible to go any higher when using FPS override at 1 fps (e.g. for time lapse)?

a1ex

FYI, FPS override changes the number of images per second, not the resolution.

andyshon

That would be an incredible feature if it could be done? Wouldn't that also give you finer control over exposure time, and potentially smoother ramping. Not to mention giving the mechanical shutter a rest.

a1ex

There is zero flicker with current ramping method if you use a good raw processor.

sm105

Quote from: a1ex on July 10, 2013, 05:13:43 PM
FYI, FPS override changes the number of images per second, not the resolution.

Yes, I understand. I guess my last post wasn't clear. By shooting at a lower FPS, I meant that the write speed should not be an issue.

I think I found an answer here. It looks like 2144x1076 may be the maximum live view resolution on the 5D2, whereas the 5D3 is capable of 3.5K.

andyshon

I've always found that third stop jumps need more than just exposure adjustment. It is possible so long as there's no clipping, one big advantage of ETTR is fine control over this, but I have to tweak the contrast too to get a unable shot, and I've not found anything that can automate this.

If we can capture 2144x1076 25 times a sec, and we can dolly this around with digital dolly, then in theory it would be possible to capture the whole raw frame at speeds like 1fps, but with some very odd shutter effects. If you could minimise these and combine it with fine exposure control and ETTR, you'd have a unique tool for timelapse. The 5D3 might be even more impressive!

audyerel

I'm waiting everyday for new updates!
The last one performed superbly, 1880x800p25 continuous with Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s CF.
GR8T WORK guys!!

Does anyone know how to create that "RED" camera look with this 5DmkII RAW files? I tried so many times to achieve the 'smooth gradation Dynamic Range, bronze-y skin tones' to no pleasing result.. Must be me, lacking on the coloring technique :(

The dynamic range should be on par with RED doesn't it, is there other factor that makes it looks special such as resolution, etc?
I believe this camera could cure zombies!

mvejerslev

QuoteIf we can capture 2144x1076 25 times a sec, and we can dolly this around with digital dolly, then in theory it would be possible to capture the whole raw frame at speeds like 1fps, but with some very odd shutter effects. If you could minimise these and combine it with fine exposure control and ETTR, you'd have a unique tool for timelapse.

Yeah. Or you could record at full 21 MP resolution and dolly in the NLE. Probably easier :-)
5D Mark II, PC

xNiNELiVES

Umm... Why, even in crop mode, can't we choose over 1076 for vertical resolution? Even in 1x mode it should be able to use 1248.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: lagunak47 on July 10, 2013, 09:21:10 AM

here's the latest thing I've shot. Testing record time/resolve workflow/noise reduction/stabilization etc.

I don't understand, the hills are actually on fire in Las Vegas? Or is it just the sun's light illuminating the dust? Also what resolution was this shot in?"

lagunak47

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on July 11, 2013, 02:11:44 AM
I don't understand, the hills are actually on fire in Las Vegas? Or is it just the sun's light illuminating the dust?
no they're on fire. might go shoot something closer to it for a feature today.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: lagunak47 on July 11, 2013, 02:16:17 AM
no they're on fire. might go shoot something closer to it for a feature today.

How is dirt flammable?! What an amazing thing to see!

I wish I was at Vegas to see such a thing!

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: andyshon on July 09, 2013, 01:50:33 PM
Here's a little film I've been working on, using Magic Lantern RAW on 5D2 (and a little 5D3) and a load of timelapse.

Thanks to everyone on here, especially a1ex and a.d. Without MLRAW it would have all been timelapse.

What slider did you use for the time lapses? Is that what its called? I'm specifically interested what the tool was in the star time-lapse.

To the developers:
Why, in the built in file browser can I see hidden files such as a trash folder? On ML on the 6D this doesn't occur.

Using latest version.

gentlemanbroncos

Hey guys, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, but I really am not sure where I would go to inquire about this subject. I cant seem to process any of my raw files over 4 gigs. Any help on this matter, or directing me on where I'd find the answer to this issue would be awesome. Thanks so much, this community is amazing!

vikado

Quote from: gentlemanbroncos on July 11, 2013, 08:18:15 AM
Hey guys, forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this, but I really am not sure where I would go to inquire about this subject. I cant seem to process any of my raw files over 4 gigs. Any help on this matter, or directing me on where I'd find the answer to this issue would be awesome. Thanks so much, this community is amazing!
Try raw2cdng
Works flawlessly for me.

Quote from: audyerel on July 10, 2013, 06:13:39 PM
I'm waiting everyday for new updates!
The last one performed superbly, 1880x800p25 continuous with Sandisk Extreme Pro 90MB/s CF.
GR8T WORK guys!!

Does anyone know how to create that "RED" camera look with this 5DmkII RAW files? I tried so many times to achieve the 'smooth gradation Dynamic Range, bronze-y skin tones' to no pleasing result.. Must be me, lacking on the coloring technique :(

The dynamic range should be on par with RED doesn't it, is there other factor that makes it looks special such as resolution, etc?
I believe this camera could cure zombies!

Use resolve.
And start with redlog film or bmd film.
Properly white balance as well as the rgb parades. Once color correction is done, now the grading begins.Adjust contrast using the waveform monitor.
Use nodes to single out all skin and adjust grading separately.
5d2 user