5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 08, 2013, 12:38:17 AM
as far as im aware it only records a 5second tone, this to allow a separate recording device to sync later to the footage.

It doesn't "record" the tone/beep. It just makes a sound of a tone/beep about 2-3 frames after the recording starts. There is no recorded tone file to find in the card.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a1ex

The sound recording option from FPS submenu is for H.264...

lagunak47

Quote from: a1ex on July 08, 2013, 06:18:46 AM
The sound recording option from FPS submenu is for H.264...

ahhh okay. thanks alex! so no sound recording during raw then?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: lagunak47 on July 08, 2013, 07:22:25 AM
ahhh okay. thanks alex! so no sound recording during raw then?

There should be in the Raw menu. Well at least on the 6D it is...

a1ex

I prefer to enable only things that are working well ;)

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: a1ex on July 08, 2013, 07:46:43 AM
I prefer to enable only things that are working well ;)

Have any idea why its not working well on the 5D2? Will there be a fix?

a1ex

There are no cameras where it's working well (it goes out of sync in unpredictable ways). It's very hard to fix, we need to understand better the ASIF DMA.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: a1ex on July 08, 2013, 08:17:57 AM
There are no cameras where it's working well (it goes out of sync in unpredictable ways). It's very hard to fix, we need to understand better the ASIF DMA.

Wait a second, we're talking about the audio sync beep right? On the 6D it seems to be working fine. It's always consistent and turns on right as it starts filming.

Edit: Oh I see recording sound with raw.

Well who cares about onboard right? External audio solutions are where its at.

a1ex

Audio sync beep is fine (+/- a few frames). Wav recording is not. There are a lot of reports that it goes out of sync.

neopixel

Quote from: Doyle4 on July 05, 2013, 11:54:44 AM
Not at all.... check the change log, always work going on on Magic Lantern that you dont see  ;)

Where is that change log?!!

Doyle4

to sync sound i use an external Zoom Mic and an iPhone and my 5Dmkii of course :)

I start my camera phone and mic and press record, i shoot on the canon.... later i match the audio from mic with the iphone using plural eyes, this gives me a clean sync with the camera, and sync the footage to the canon... long way round but the clip from the iphone lets me visually see and help me better, say like clapping hands or clicking a finger.

Bradley

What frames exactly are recorded while the tone is playing?

Would it be possible to put a blue dot on the video frames while the tone is playing to help sync? Some sort of video cue as to when the tone is playing.

Crazy idea, how about a tone that plays in morse code what number video it is. Kinda like how a clapper has scene/take numbers, just to give more information to help figure out what audio goes with what clip.

johnha

Hey guys, has anyone tested the HDMI monitoring for the Mark II? I see on the Mark 3 thread that the HDMI monitor mostly works.

But has anyone tried taping with the HDMI connected to an external monitor for the Mark 2? I've been shooting with the June 29th building and it's been great. I may want to shoot a job where I'll be renting a monitor, so I'm curious if anyone's tried that setup with the Mark 2.

Big thank you to the Magic Lantern team! Wonderful work here, guys. This is incredible.

-John

ted ramasola

Quote from: Bradley on July 08, 2013, 04:01:37 PM
What frames exactly are recorded while the tone is playing?

Would it be possible to put a blue dot on the video frames while the tone is playing to help sync? Some sort of video cue as to when the tone is playing.

Crazy idea, how about a tone that plays in morse code what number video it is. Kinda like how a clapper has scene/take numbers, just to give more information to help figure out what audio goes with what clip.

Its not precise but its around 2-3 frames of video before the ramp of the tone waveform on your wav file begins. When I say wav file, its the one from your external audio recorder.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: johnha on July 08, 2013, 08:29:33 PM
Hey guys, has anyone tested the HDMI monitoring for the Mark II? I see on the Mark 3 thread that the HDMI monitor mostly works.

But has anyone tried taping with the HDMI connected to an external monitor for the Mark 2? I've been shooting with the June 29th building and it's been great. I may want to shoot a job where I'll be renting a monitor, so I'm curious if anyone's tried that setup with the Mark 2.

Big thank you to the Magic Lantern team! Wonderful work here, guys. This is incredible.

-John

Yes it works on 5d2.

1. Its better than h264 since it does not down sample to 480 when you record but stays in HD.

2. You have to turn off the rectangular crop marks by choosing ML grayscale in raw video>preview since the crop marks are off centered on your external monitor. You will have to mask the monitor for your aspect ratios the old fashioned way, also do not playback or review recorded footage with external monito as it will lock up your camera. You'll have to remove battery to trocover.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

bnvm

I posted this earlier but got no response, is there some reason why the maximum vertical resolution in crop mode is only 1076? I can record up to 1250 in regular mode. Thanks.

mvejerslev

Not getting any EXIF data on 7-7 build with Raw2DNG Batchelor ver 2.3... Goes for both x5 and normal RAW video. Anyone?
5D Mark II, PC

soulshooter

Been running some tests at 1880x1058 (actual resolution, at least in OSX FINDER: 1876x1054), extracted cDNG via RawMagic and transcoded and uprezzed to 1920x1080 through Resolve Lite.

I just realized however that x5 CROP MODE records as 29.97 instead of 23.976. Is there currently a setting that allows me to shoot in crop mode 23.976?

Crop mode is great by the way. Need to make sure it's extra stable but that additional reach and acquired detail is awesome.

I'm using Sandisk 32GB 90MB/s CF cards by the way, although it's labeled UDMA 7 and can average about 10secs per clip but for now that length is fine for testing. I can only get continuous recording at 2.50:1 aspect at 1880 wide.

ted ramasola

Quote from: soulshooter on July 09, 2013, 08:00:51 AM
Been running some tests at 1880x1058 (actual resolution, at least in OSX FINDER: 1876x1054), extracted cDNG via RawMagic and transcoded and uprezzed to 1920x1080 through Resolve Lite.

I just realized however that x5 CROP MODE records as 29.97 instead of 23.976. Is there currently a setting that allows me to shoot in crop mode 23.976?

try FPS over ride.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

andyshon

Could I make the case for the return of the old buffer graphic? It may have been a little primitive but it was very easy to see at a glance how much you had left. The new graphic, though actually giving more info, is harder/slower to read and I find it quite distracting during a shot.

In fact, with the 'expected frames' pretty accurate, do we need a buffer graphic at all? If this is just a diagnostic tool for developers that will be disabled on the stable distributions, could we perhaps have an off switch now?

andyshon

Here's a little film I've been working on, using Magic Lantern RAW on 5D2 (and a little 5D3) and a load of timelapse.

Thanks to everyone on here, especially a1ex and a.d. Without MLRAW it would have all been timelapse.

Doyle4

Quote from: andyshon on July 09, 2013, 11:18:07 AM
Could I make the case for the return of the old buffer graphic? It may have been a little primitive but it was very easy to see at a glance how much you had left. The new graphic, though actually giving more info, is harder/slower to read and I find it quite distracting during a shot.

In fact, with the 'expected frames' pretty accurate, do we need a buffer graphic at all? If this is just a diagnostic tool for developers that will be disabled on the stable distributions, could we perhaps have an off switch now?

I know what you mean but the buffer graphic has helped me alot, its let me know when my cards about to stop and it prepares me to get ready to stop and start again :)

Super nice video too btw too

dariSSight

Quote from: andyshon on July 09, 2013, 01:50:33 PM
Here's a little film I've been working on, using Magic Lantern RAW on 5D2 (and a little 5D3) and a load of timelapse.

Thanks to everyone on here, especially a1ex and a.d. Without MLRAW it would have all been timelapse.

This video Kicks Ass I would like to know some of your setting like, for the TimeLapse what fps and iso setting gave you the most smooth presentation. Also what were your settings for some of those night scene, because there is no grain or hard color blending. I have a 5D 2, What parts did you use the 5D 3 for and why?
Canon 5D Mark II