5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Freng

Also, here's the correct link for raw2dng for OSX: http://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads/5D2_OSX_raw2dng_ProRes.zip

Thanks so much for the work, this is sweet! I'm testing the version from an hour ago in hopes to fix my issues. I have a Komputerbay 64gb 1000x card that can do 1880x880 continuous and fill up the card. The problem is that all the footage ends up garbled. Even if i turn off raw and try a normal 1920x1080x24 the video is jacked up. I'll report back with the latest build.

noix222

i got same problems as TED... pink everything in 1880x940 wich is the resolution i rely most. To be honest im on build 10/06 cause i can record almost 4gb files which is enough to me, and i have color image when filming 5x. To me its very useful.. i think the green dots or something when we have color recording could be something related to shutter actuations ? I mean the older the camera more suitable to get those dots it will be ??? Because i never got dots or dead pixels... my camera have 30k actuations and works fine. Also with th enew build i see less MB/s on recording giving me a little bit less frames. So it could be the simples the better! Amazing job guys thanks!

a.d.

1856x844
2:20:1
Center
ML GRAYSCALE

First shot normal
second shot pink frames

Update:
Just done 4 shots
1. pink
2. pink
3. normal
4. pink

@noix222
I use my hack since 2 weeks and it works ;=)

Yoshiyuki Blade

I just noticed that reducing the frame rate with FPS override also increases the card's write speed slightly. So not only does it reduce the inherent write speed requirements versus the standard 24/23.976, it also increases card performance, which may make the difference between being able to record at a certain resolution or not. Anyone been naughty enough to record at lower rates and interpolate the frames in post?  ;D

At 24 FPS, my 600x Sandisk card normally writes at around 63-64 MB/s out of the required ~80, so the buffer fills up quickly. Lowering it to 19 FPS reduces the speed requirement to 63 MB/s and also increases my write speeds to 66 MB/s. 20 FPS is just beyond the point of intersection for continuous shooting though; write requirement jumps to 66 MB/s and write speed drops to about 65 MB/s . Though I don't think we'll get much beyond 21-22 FPS with a faster card, it's nice to see that one can squeeze out a little more performance than expected from the raw resolution/fps calculations.

cinoa

Hi,

using ML Raw Version a43e030494e4 on 5dmk2, CF 16GB, 30MB/s still I only have the
1880x800 aspect ratio to choose.

Where and how to get all the different aspect ratios and also fps ?!

Thanks for help.

bnvm

The FPS is not part of the raw shooting module but should be located in the same movie page, it is called FPS override. To get the resolutions larger than 1880 you have to be in 5X or 10X crop mode, you need to press the button to zoom into the live view(usually used for checking focus) so that it is not zoomed all the way out. That will unlock the larger resolutions.

cinoa

Thanks, do I understand right: The different aspect ratios provided is not linked to the speed and/or size of the cf card in any way, right?

intrinsic

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on June 19, 2013, 10:23:38 PM
I just noticed that reducing the frame rate with FPS override also increases the card's write speed slightly.
Yepp, same thing here.
I usually got around 57-58Mb/s @24FPS and decreasing FPS gives me up to 60 (16FPS) - 61Mb/s (6-9FPS).
Twixtoring result very much depends on the nature of the filmed subject.
In the more or less static scenes (nature) it is possible to twixtor from 12fps.
My street tests (moving cars, people, etc) shown me that FPS should be at least 18, with further twixtoring to 75% speed.
But even in that case you should avoid fast moving large subjects close to the camera.
About the write speed.
I've found in the 550D thread A1ex posts about buffer optimisation and how different buffering strategies affect card write speed.
From here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5582.msg52455#msg52455
Question, is there some sort of connection betweeen FPS override and different buffering?

dariSSight#1

Thanks for all the work you guys do, I want to get a clear understanding on the best possible resolution and what keeps the 5D Mark II From utilizing the full Sensor functions? I know the full framing of the Canon 5D Mark II is 3:2, so can you explain why the camera gets RAW 1880 instead of 1920? ???

intrinsic

Quote from: dariSSight#1 on June 20, 2013, 12:56:29 AM
Thanks for all the work you guys do, I want to get a clear understanding on the best possible resolution and what keeps the 5D Mark II From utilizing the full Sensor functions? I know the full framing of the Canon 5D Mark II is 3:2, so can you explain why the camera gets RAW 1880 instead of 1920? ???
Here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.50
You may push larger resolution (2144x1078) utilizing 5x crop mode.
As it was mentioned here before, Canon's original 1920x1080 H.264 is upscaled from 1880.
Doesn't seem like a big deal to me, it's only 40 pixels. Nothing compared to RAW sharpness and detail even at the lower resolutions.

hini

Quote from: Yoshiyuki Blade on June 19, 2013, 10:23:38 PM
Anyone been naughty enough to record at lower rates and interpolate the frames in post?  ;D

Yes, I am naughty.
I record 1880X1058, 17 fps with my old 60 MB/s SanDisk.
Developed in Photoshop
Converted in Apple Compressor into 25 fps.
But I can not record audio or I do someting wrong?

hinrich
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? - W. Eugene Smith

ted ramasola

@A1ex

I was able to trigger pink frames in 5x crop mode in another scenario, while using FPS over ride.

Testing highest resolution on 5d2 at 2152 x 1078 with FPS over ride.

I did 4 takes.

take 1 at 5P --all frames pink
take 2 at 1P --1st frame OK the rest Pink
take 3 at 1P --1st frame OK the rest Pink
take 4 at 3P --all frames Pink

1 test at 1880 x 1250 at 1P -- all frames OK.

Hope this helps you do the troubleshooting.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Doyle4

Quote from: hini on June 20, 2013, 03:23:55 AM
Yes, I am naughty.
I record 1880X1058, 17 fps with my old 60 MB/s SanDisk.
Developed in Photoshop
Converted in Apple Compressor into 25 fps.
But I can not record audio or I do someting wrong?

hinrich

When shooting RAW you need to enable sync beep if recording sound from separate device, or choose WAV to record sound, iv read some people cant record more than 3seconds so give it a try, also as your shooting in 17fps check this out, it may help you if you want smooth video, its not a tutorial but shows it can be done :)

hini

Quote from: Doyle4 on June 20, 2013, 02:23:52 PM
check this out, it may help you if you want smooth video

Yes, Twixtor can make miracles come true. But the result depends very much of the scene you are filming. Foreground, Background. It works best if the background is smooth. If not it is difficult. Thank you for the beep trick. Every night we become more and more professional.
What uses having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling? - W. Eugene Smith

Doyle4

What has been added/tweaked in 19th July build please, cant see the changes from 18th for some reason..

Cheers  :D

Doyle4

Sorry for another post..

Am i doing something wrong here... When i choose ML Greyscale the white box vanish's in LV so I'm not sure whats going to be captured, sorry again  :)

dandeliondandy

On the newest build, or what was newest about a week ago I guess, I managed to record 1880 x 800, until the card stopped (about 2.5 minutes) with a SanDisk 60 MB/s card. Has anyone else had these results? If so it seems like the newer builds are really getting amazing.

noix222

with the 19/06 build i get PINK IMAGES when shooting 1880x950 on 5x crop... also it gets black and white! To me i still prefer a color viewer..... thanks guys! i stick with build 10/06 still!!!

ted ramasola

@A1ex

Testing Jun 19 build posted by A.d.  7eee493f6fc9

1 x modes ok

3x crop mode (5x magnify)

2152 x 1078 ---Pink image
1920 x 1078 ---Slightly warm/yellowish tint but blacks can be recovered.
1880 x 1058 ---Pink image
1728 x 972 --- @ 23.976   --- OK
                   --- @ 1FPS    --- Pink image
                   --- @ 5 FPS   --- Pinkish
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Indianac

This is amazing work!  Question. When recording at 1880 and wav, the wav stops recording after a while. It says I need a faster card. Shooting on komputerbay 64gb 1000x. Not that huge of an issue since I only need a few seconds before syncing with external, but still wondering if this is a known constraint.  Also, I was reading back in the forum because I got the green dot issue as well. Anyone know if there's a fix for this? Thanks!

fatpig

Since sound recording is such a problem:

how about making it record a predefined number of seconds of WAV Audio only,
to not make the recording stop, but still have something for automatic syncing of audio like pluraleyes to work with...?

Who do I have to contact for this idea?

durisy

Quote from: a.d. on June 14, 2013, 09:01:46 PM
@durisy
I've just updated raw2dng. There's a new algorithm for hot pixel fixed based on chdk
Thank you.
hot pixels were gone.

But with the latest raw2dng, one pink hot pixel is back again.
h.264. no hot pixel.

s---70

@fatpig: Why don't you just use the sync beep to sync your audio? Even if the 5dm2 records only a few seconds of audio, it will cost you recording time. I would use internal audio recording only if it's not possible to record externally. If you're already recording with an external recorder, internal audio recording is just a waste of buffer space imo.

fatpig

well, a sync beep still requires all the syncing work to be done, and the beep is not on the first frame but somewhere around the first second, which makes is almost useless.

The point in a WAV file, if only some seconds, is: use pluraleyes and not having to sync at all.

I will happily sacrifice some of my buffer time for it, as it records continuous with one or no stars anyway. :)

Doyle4

21st July Build VERY nice indeed! Thank you for the hard work and quick releases! nice to have x10 back!!

Digital Dolly is genius! wasn't sure what it was till now.... sweet!

Thanks ML Team  :)