5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

A.d  and A1ex

comparing the 16th and the 14th, while malloc may have increase to 227k from 99-103k I somehow noticed a slightly lower performance in terms of number of frames recorded.

Here are some comparisons, I will place 2 figures(# frames) on each resolution indicating 2 takes.

Jun 14

1x

1880x1058  =  408/401
1880x940  =  1,900/2500
1880x854  =  continuous
1728x972  =  9,995/10,175 (gd off, fps,hacked)
1728x864  =  continuos

5x

2152x1078  =  185/184
2048x1078  =  243/236
1920x1078  =  335/335
1920x960  =  684/1064
1880x854  =  continuous

Jun 16

1x

1880x1058  =  251/251
1880x940  =  1,064/1,520
1880x854  =  continuous
1728x972  =  7,565/9,711 (gd off, fps,hacked)
1728x864  =  continuos

5x

2152x1078  =  151/165
2048x1078  =  172/229
1920x1078  =  276/285
1920x960  =  760/694
1880x854  =  continuous

GUI Tweak request;

When pushing for maximum performance in 1728x972 16:9  I engage FPS override even in 1x mode, hacked preview and GD off, however upon recording the text "FPS OVER RIDE 23.976" is so big and is almost inside the shot frame, can this be reduced and moved to a part of the frame that is not within the shot?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Guilo

Quote from: a.d. on May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM
5D2 BUILDS WITH RAW_REC MODULE

Download the latest zip file
https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads
Source
https://bitbucket.org/pravdomil/magic-lantern-hack/

2013/06/16
b93d6ae2b30d
API change: Please delete from previous build ML/MODULES/MAGIC.SYM
malloc: Now we have 227 K vs 99 to 103 K
I remove my modification, so magenta Cast is back in 5x and 10x, because a1ex point out to to this thread http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6426.0. Some users suffer from that.

So I copied/replaced AUTOEXEC.BIN and ML folder from b93d6ae2b30d.zip to my CF card.
But it is messed up. Something doesn't work. The screen freaks out and there is and info about missing Font files and then to copy all the Magic Lantern files.

I got 2.1.2-ml-v2.3.NEXT firmware version from here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzDGCq2guBAgb2UtVE1SUy0yeTQ/edit
(http://crewofone.com/2013/how-to-shoot-raw-video-on-your-canon-5d2-5d3-or-6d/)

Is the file hudson-magic-lantern-15694a53cfa3.zip necessary?
a.d. writes:
"Source
https://bitbucket.org/pravdomil/magic-lantern-hack/"
in the very first post of this topic. I have no idea where to paste it.

Thanks for help.

Added
------------
that's embarrassing. I replaced the whole ML folder instead of just the files which were in a.d.'s folder. If any admin want's to remove this post, please do it. Sorry for trashing.

a1ex

@ted:

pink preview = good image quality.
good preview = many bad pixels.

I wasn't able to get both at the same time, so I've used good preview when idle and pink preview while recording.
see https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/15694a53cfa3

togg

In the last release force left corrupt everything. Am I the only one?

a1ex

togg

Quote from: a1ex on June 17, 2013, 03:00:39 PM
Did it work before?!

I don't remember until it works. But it is a couple of builds that I'm having problems. It's only today that I've figured out that it is the force left option.

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on June 17, 2013, 09:11:21 AM
@ted:

pink preview = good image quality.
good preview = many bad pixels.

I wasn't able to get both at the same time, so I've used good preview when idle and pink preview while recording.
see https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/15694a53cfa3

good preview when idle pink when recording is a good compromise.
In raw video mode Pink preview only distracts while in 10x mode, I use this only to check focus,

in 5x mode the pink preview is not an issue since ML grayscale is what I would use due to correct framing.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

onickz

Hi all, please excuse my newbiness if some / all questions were answered before. I did not find all the infos so let me ask few things :

- Why a pink preview, apart for performance, why not b&w and with more contrast ? I have troubles to follow focus the actors moving for examples.

- I need to retry more with the last night build but I have an issue with some raw recordings : not skipped frames but like unordered frames (eg: fr1, fr50, fr2, fr51 and so on) on raw recordings during more than 200 frames in any resolution. I tried to reencode in DNG with both actual converters RAW2DNG & RAWMAGIC : sometimes retrying fixes the problem, often not.
(PS: fr1, fr50 are frame numbers examples, not actual correct numbers).

- The Prores 422HQ  file is interesting for previewing, but why not 4444 ?

- Any way to get MXF in 10 bit ? :)

- How come Resolve can't understand the DNG from RAW2DNG actual version but Lightroom & PS do ?

- Could you add a sub menu for setting for good different resolution according to crop modes ? It actually resets to 1880 and I would keep 2K for 5X & 10X

- Could you rewrite the link or email to donate ? I have something for you.

Thanks for reading and keep it up all, your work is just amazing, i'm addicted, you changed our minds !

guentergunter

On my 5D2 the preview is only pink now when cropped (5x or 10x).

But, when copied to the computer, all the footage is pink.
And opened in Adobe Camera Raw everything is fine.

Until the actual version everything was fine.

Strange...
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

guentergunter

Quote from: onickz on June 17, 2013, 07:32:46 PM
- Why a pink preview, apart for performance, why not b&w and with more contrast ? I have troubles to follow focus the actors moving for examples.
Sharpness, I think, is much more helpful than b&w for focusing.

- How come Resolve can't understand the DNG from RAW2DNG actual version but Lightroom & PS do ?
That's due to the fact that Resolve only opens CinemaDNG files. RAWMagic, which you already tried, converts into this format.

Thanks for reading and keep it up all, your work is just amazing, i'm addicted, you changed our minds !
I second that!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

noix222

I did a few tests comparing build 13/06 and 14/06 and i found that with build 14/06 if i record in 1x with fps override ON 24 fps exact fps 24 it will record actually 29.997 as when i convert with raw2dng it says that. I did tried turning fps override OFF so it got back to 23.... Build 13/03 is fine to me i can record both 1x and 5x with fps override and i get 24fps converting with raw2dng version 0.10. I can't use the latest build the pink cast makes me see NOTHING :P anyway i also figured out (that's already been pointed) what's been recorded in 5x is larger that what actually appears in the viewfinder. All my tests were done in 1880 and 2.1...  thanks guys..

ted ramasola

I'd also like to report that jun 16 build apparently totally drains the battery even when power is off.

There was still around 70 percent in the battery then Left it off for around 10 hours.

Has this quirk been reported before in other builds?

Is there a "proper" shutdown method to avoid this?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on June 18, 2013, 12:13:08 AM
Yes, see http://www.magiclantern.fm/bestpractices

A1ex,

I have read of this and was in fact conscious of watching for the led blink before cf removal when I was doing some tests last night.

My question is,
1. if for instance, the card was improperly (before led blink) removed for data transfer, then returned to camera, then camera was further handled, then shut down. Does this still drain the battery? Or does this battery drain occur when CF card is out of the camera?

2. does it make a difference if card was removed when power switch is still on or is it best practice to switch it off then remove cf?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

1. no; if the card stays in the camera after shutdown, there shouldn't be any problems; but if you remove it while the camera is off, and put it back without turning it on, you may have surprises.

2. if you do not turn the camera off, the problem does not occur. So, just open the card door without turning the camera off. I do this all the time.

To understand it better: when you open the card door and power switch is off, the camera wakes up for 2-3 seconds.

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on June 18, 2013, 12:39:18 AM
1. no; if the card stays in the camera after shutdown, there shouldn't be any problems; but if you remove it while the camera is off, and put it back without turning it on, you may have surprises.

2. if you do not turn the camera off, the problem does not occur. So, just open the card door without turning the camera off. I do this all the time.

To understand it better: when you open the card door and power switch is off, the camera wakes up for 2-3 seconds.

Thank you.

I believe that what you said in #1 happened in the course of my tests. Since we now have raw video which requires constant removal of card unlike h264 movs I suggest best practices page should include something like this warning.

...AFTER TRANSFER OF RAW MOVIES VIA CF CARD READER IT IS ADVISABLE TO TURN ON THE CAMERA AFTER ML CARD IS INSERTED THEN OFF BEFORE STOWING AWAY YOUR CAMERA.

something like that.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

It has nothing to do with raw videos...

And you should turn it on after card removal, because that's when it's locking up.

ted ramasola

A1ex,

with regards to the hdmi out framing being off to the left, how about having a turn off option for the record frame (black/white rect) when using hdmi so I can just overlay the appropriate matte over my ext monitor screen for framing?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

avasarin

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 18, 2013, 01:33:37 AM
A1ex,

with regards to the hdmi out framing being off to the left, how about having a turn off option for the record frame (black/white rect) when using hdmi so I can just overlay the appropriate matte over my ext monitor screen for framing?
If you select ML grayscale from the preview menu the white or black bars will not be displayed. With my Zacuto EVF I use the internal 2.35 mask and on my 7" monitor regular gaffer tape. Don't know if ML Grayscale is supposed to do so or is just an side effect.
5dmk2 - Nikkor set(20-28-35-50-105mm), Vivitar 85-105 - BMPCC
http://www.frabiatofilm.com
https://www.facebook.com/stringssenzatempo

ted ramasola

Quote from: avasarin on June 18, 2013, 08:07:34 AM
If you select ML grayscale from the preview menu the white or black bars will not be displayed. With my Zacuto EVF I use the internal 2.35 mask and on my 7" monitor regular gaffer tape. Don't know if ML Grayscale is supposed to do so or is just an side effect.

Thank you!! I did not know selecting ML grayscale will remove the white rectangle. Thank you for that info.

I'm also making crop lines on clear acetate to overlay on my ext monitor.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Doyle4

YES! came to see what happened to Auto ETTR and its back in 18th July Build  ;D Thank you! :)

Is x5 and x10 so pose to have be pink when AF-ing? Yesterday when filming x5 and x10 filled the screen with pink and was branded here none useable, are we able to use it now? Thanks again for a brilliant update  ;D

a1ex

See my earlier posts. In x5 mode, you can't get good image without pink preview (well, grayscale now).

If you have correct color preview while recording in x5, expect colored dots that you can't remove, because their position is not fixed (they follow high-contrast areas). This happens only on 5D2 and 50D afaik.

mymadness

I'm awaiting delivery on a CF card that will give me enough speed to test this all out for myself, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on shooting 4:3

Is it possible on the MkII? What are the resolutions you can do it at and how many frames will you get?

togg

Quote from: mymadness on June 18, 2013, 02:21:47 PM
I'm awaiting delivery on a CF card that will give me enough speed to test this all out for myself, but I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on shooting 4:3

Is it possible on the MkII? What are the resolutions you can do it at and how many frames will you get?

Yes, no problem. With my slow card I can get 1280X960 continuous. 49,1 MB/s. But with a 1000X CF you will be able to get 1472X1104 (65 MB/s).

So! I'm trying the latest build and finally I've realized that the only preview that EVER worked for me is the Canon one. I'm not able to use ML Grayscale or HaCKed.

edit: ok, now it seems that 5X and 10X are always grayscaled.

Doyle4

Quote from: a1ex on June 18, 2013, 02:17:16 PM
See my earlier posts. In x5 mode, you can't get good image without pink preview (well, grayscale now).

If you have correct color preview while recording in x5, expect colored dots that you can't remove, because their position is not fixed (they follow high-contrast areas). This happens only on 5D2 and 50D afaik.

Cheers A1ex,

Ill give the X's amiss for now as not too important at this moment for me,

Thanks for the reply.