5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Tested Jun 14 build.

No new problems found and was able to test long recordings that was able to fill up 32 gig card. Was able to extract all frames with no problems in both dng and cdng.

I pushed tested 1728 x 972 as this is the highest 16:9 resolution that I found easy to upscale to 1920x 1080.
Unfortunately I realized that it can only go approx 10,000 frames, buts its already good for most commercial or corporate needs as this is already at 7 minutes and near to the capacity of the card at 27.7 gig before buffer is filled and stops.

1880 x 854 2.20:1 is now the highest resolution at 24p possible on 5d2. This fills up card till full. Resulting file is 29.7 Gig(31,930,872,768 bytes).

I corrected the spreadsheet posted by roman here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0 to reflect this new test results.

Hoping the framing in crop mode could also be tweaked and fixed.

Good job so far guys.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

a1ex

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 15, 2013, 09:34:31 AM
Hoping the framing in crop mode could also be tweaked and fixed.

I doubt it can be further improved without low-level access to the sensor.

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on June 15, 2013, 09:42:16 AM
I doubt it can be further improved without low-level access to the sensor.

A1ex,

At first I thought the offsets were random but I found out that they're "almost" consistent across repeated tests.

The Horizontal could be "negligible" since its mostly 2-16 pixels but its the horizontal offsets that at least needs adjusting so the user will be warned that the top will be cut off up to 69 pixels (lines) .

Using ML grayscale preview method, won't this involve moving crop marks or borders? For instance for 1920x1078 moving the black border masks (both top and bottom) up by 69 pixels? Although I understand that the pixel count might not be the same in low res preview as to that in final recorded frame.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

NitromanX

Can we see some upscaled test footage from 1728 x 972 (16:9) to HD 1920 x 1080p Ted Ramosa ?

Can we .. can we ... pretty please ?! lol

Ideally with and without the Mosaic VAF-5D2 !  ;) I did buy one a few months ago but it had a tiny air bubble in the glass so sent it back. I also need to shoot stills and video so ultimately i'm living with the moire / aliasing for now ... 

I've not installed the Raw update of ML just yet, waiting for all the little bugs to get ironed out on my 5D2. But getting very excited ...  ;D

Africashot

Just loaded 4c83f9edabc0 (latest built by a.d.) after not updating for a while; nice improvements in performance, these are just a few details I have noticed:
- The option to delete files is gone (or am I not looking in the right place?) for me at least it used to be more useful then the preview option as I usually know right away if I messed up or not... but its maybe just me...
- Is there an (official way) way to stop the preview playback? Half-pressing the shutter will stop it but triggered a buck by still showing the preview on the lower blacked out part of life view in at least one occasion
I hope this helps and please forgive me if any of this has been brought up before!
ML 5D2 & T3i

a1ex

Ted: of course the offsets are not random. The recording window can't be positioned anywhere on the sensor; there are some large raw windows chosen by Canon code based on the position of the focus box, and within these windows, ML can move the smaller recording window freely.

So, at this point, ML is centering the recording window on the focus box as best as I could do.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Africashot on June 15, 2013, 10:25:47 AM
Just loaded 4c83f9edabc0 (latest built by a.d.) after not updating for a while; nice improvements in performance, these are just a few details I have noticed:
- The option to delete files is gone (or am I not looking in the right place?) for me at least it used to be more useful then the preview option as I usually know right away if I messed up or not... but its maybe just me...
- Is there an (official way) way to stop the preview playback? Half-pressing the shutter will stop it but triggered a buck by still showing the preview on the lower blacked out part of life view in at least one occasion
I hope this helps and please forgive me if any of this has been brought up before!

Use the File Browser to view and delete files. Its more secure since it asks for confirmation if you really want to delete.

Thanks for the tip on how to stop playback by half press of shutter. It works for me.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

andyshon

Great as it is to have record on the Set button, being able to select AF-ON was quite useful. It meant you could start/stop record using a standard remote. Really handy when you can only record short clips and need the camera to be perfectly steady from frame 1.

Any chance we could have this back as a menu option?

a1ex

Why not use the existing function for recording with half-shutter?

(didn't try it, but it should work, because it sends fake button events)

andyshon

Yep, that works, ta.

Finding a few advantages and a few issues doing RAW recording with an Ikan V8000 monitor attached.

When dropping into record the HDMI output doesn't switch to 480p, so the picture stays at it's largest possible size on the monitor. Huge bonus.

Write speed seems slightly slower than with the internal display, but not much, maybe 5%.

The crop rectangle doesn't display properly. I get one of the two scenarios bellow. Actual recordings are not effected though.

EDIT - It seems if the HDMI is plugged in right through the session, from power up to power down, then I get the later. If the screen is plugged in after entering live view, or if it is disconnected and reconnected at any point during the session, then I get the former.

alexcosy

Hi,

I have these results with a Komputerbay 1000x i just got from amazon.

73.9 MB/s write speed
85.4 MB/s read speed

photo mode, global draw off.

at best.

(sorry don't know how to attach the jpg showing all banchmarks)

Do you think i should send it back ? seems low :(

andyshon

You're on a 5D2? I'd try shooting some raw. If you're getting in the upper 60s MB/s then you're doing as well as I am.

Africashot

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 15, 2013, 10:46:22 AM
Use the File Browser to view and delete files. Its more secure since it asks for confirmation if you really want to delete.

Thanks for the tip on how to stop playback by half press of shutter. It works for me.
Thanks Ted, the new file browser makes sense, I had no idea it was there, thanks for the pointer!
ML 5D2 & T3i

alexcosy

Quote from: andyshon on June 15, 2013, 03:29:05 PM
You're on a 5D2? I'd try shooting some raw. If you're getting in the upper 60s MB/s then you're doing as well as I am.

Yes i'm on a 5D2, you think it has something to do with it?

I shot this morning 1880x800 2.35 @24p, and i can do it continuously.
Seems like 1728x972 16:9 is ok too continuously.

sould i send back and hope for a better one? i ve seen benchmarks up to 110MB/S but on 5D3, is it related?

NitromanX

Alexcosy - is it 64Gb Komputer Bay 1000x or 128Gb ? The smaller capacity cards are apparently faster ...

mageye

Quote from: alexcosy on June 15, 2013, 04:22:37 PM
Yes i'm on a 5D2, you think it has something to do with it?

I shot this morning 1880x800 2.35 @24p, and i can do it continuously.
Seems like 1728x972 16:9 is ok too continuously.

sould i send back and hope for a better one? i ve seen benchmarks up to 110MB/S but on 5D3, is it related?

Don't send it back. It is definitely to do with the upper limit that you can write on the 5DMKII. When you run the benchmark you will most likely get a faster speed write but when you record you will see anywhere between 59 - 68 - 70MB/s sometimes mine goes above 70MB/s (briefly but its more usual to see it around 63MB/s)

I have a Komputerbay 1000x 32GB

So what I am saying is that if you buy a faster one it is pointless because the 5DMKII will cap it by its bus limitation (unfortunately). The 5DMKIII has a higher limit and I don't know exactly what that is because I have no experience of them.
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

andyshon

Quote from: alexcosy on June 15, 2013, 04:22:37 PM

Sounds like you got a good one there fella. I'd keep hold of it.

alexcosy

Thanks a lot for the advice guys, i'll keep it then :D

andyshon

I have a 64 GB Komputerbay 1000x that usually gives me a speed of 64-68 MB/s. But on occasion I'll see an almost full buffer just suddenly empty without the write speed registering any real change. Never noticed this behaviour on the Lexar 1000x, but that could just be me not paying attention.

alexcosy

I like what i can do with 1880x800 2.35 anyway, so it should be sufficient.

Just a question, in AE, what color space do you set your project to? I think I'm noticing a bit of a gamma shift between ACR and AE when project set to "none".

andyshon

Rec 709 is the colour space of standard HD video. If you're using a 10 bit or better codec and you intend to grade these shots further, you might want to consider using the broadcast limited version [Rec 709 (16-235)]. This way some highlight and shadow detail is retained beyond that visible in AE. However, these files will look flat in apps that don't honour broadcast levels, like QuickTime player and FCP.

reddeercity

Quote from: andyshon on June 15, 2013, 11:10:55 PM
Rec 709 is the colour space of standard HD video. If you're using a 10 bit or better codec and you intend to grade these shots further, you might want to consider using the broadcast limited version [Rec 709 (16-235)]. This way some highlight and shadow detail is retained beyond that visible in AE. However, these files will look flat in apps that don't honour broadcast levels, like QuickTime player and FCP.

I find that in AE on the Mac if you are importing the tiff sequence to render to ProRes 4444 and set the options
to "Trillion Plus" colors , "preserved the native color space"  that put it in a 16bit and there is no gamma Shift that i can see.
ProRes will put it in a HD color space with out gamma shift.
But i have seen gamma shift on 10 bit codec of different flavors. :)

P.S. i use photoshop to white balance & basic color corrections to legal colors for grading
or you can built a L.U.T. or use the Camera Profiles :)

Hazer

Been out for a few days, just seeing the auto-save feature now.  Huge time saver, fantastic.

What is "fast preview" supposed to do?  I'm not seeing any difference in live view mode or recording.

pravdomil

Hazer

Ah, ok, thanks.  Do you mean in the file manager?  Because playback in the file manager wasn't working at all for me just now using a.d.'s most recent build -- totally garbled, like television static.