5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chan875

Ok I really need some help here. So I had ML on my mark ii for some time, so I decided I would try RAW. It worked at first but when I shut my camera off it wouldn't boot back up. I pulled the battery and CF card out. I deleted everything ML related off the CF card, the problem is the camera runs fine with just the battery, but when I put in the CF card it wont boot up!! Please HELP!

noix222

new build is amazing!!! im recording pretty much full hd 2:1 raw no stop... i dont really need bigger files than 4GB, specially for commercial production... thanks guys!!!! again!  :-X

Africashot

Quote from: noix222 on June 08, 2013, 07:15:08 AM
new build is amazing!!! im recording pretty much full hd 2:1 raw no stop... i dont really need bigger files than 4GB, specially for commercial production... thanks guys!!!! again!  :-X
Sounds interesting, what built are you using (could you post a link please?) thanks a lot!
ML 5D2 & T3i

ted ramasola

Quote from: noix222 on June 08, 2013, 07:15:08 AM

using jun 6 build? Full HD meaning 1920 x 1080? With jun 6 build 5d2 only does 1880 max and I'm only getting 1,400 frames around 3.7 gig before buffer overflows with 1880 x 940 2:1. Are you sure its "no stop" recording at 2:1 ?  2:1 ratio does not give you "full hd" spec. The closest to fullhd spec is 1880 x 1058 16:9 which currently gives around 348 frames.

Highest resolution with stable continuous recording using current builds is 1880x854 2.20:1 ratio.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

noix222

using jun 6 build... not full hd but 2:1 is close enough... yes that's pretty much what everyone using a 1000x+ card will get with a 5dmk2 i guess... personally i dont like filming long takes, unless it is necessary, or im intended too. So 4GB limit with RAW is fine for me, with +-1500 frames i can film a lot of stuff ! :D im going to get a mk3 to work together... might be good live out of the moire/aliasing word tho.  :o

edit: probably for the last five months all my work was finished with 2:35 crop.... now its coming out straight ! :D and RAW that's GOLD for me!

marten

Quote from: reddeercity on June 07, 2013, 10:28:43 PM
i have used it with no problem, basically what i did was enable dolly mode , then start filming
press the little joystick up or down to pan then hit the center of the joystick to stop.
i can only pan up and down in full screen, i have not tried it in crop mode :D

edit: Sorry i didn't read your question right :-[

Ok, so the dolly mode cannot pan the entire sensor from left to right in crop mode. I think that would have been useful.

a1ex

There's a small delay when changing the crop window (at least via properties). Maybe in the future we'll figure it out.

On 5D3/6D, the crop window has over 3500 pixels, and panning makes a bit more sense there.

danielcreed

Quote from: Chan875 on June 08, 2013, 04:16:28 AM
Ok I really need some help here. So I had ML on my mark ii for some time, so I decided I would try RAW. It worked at first but when I shut my camera off it wouldn't boot back up. I pulled the battery and CF card out. I deleted everything ML related off the CF card, the problem is the camera runs fine with just the battery, but when I put in the CF card it wont boot up!! Please HELP!

had this problem a while back, the card is probably busted, i had to pull the clock battery out just to get the camera to boot.

soulshooter

Quote from: togg on June 08, 2013, 03:33:16 AM
YOu can use the google cache if you need it.

worked like a charm. thanks!

Chan875

Quote from: danielcreed on June 08, 2013, 01:18:05 PM
had this problem a while back, the card is probably busted, i had to pull the clock battery out just to get the camera to boot.

Actually I got lucky and fixed it this morning. When I put the CF card in the camera it wouldn't boot, I had deleted ML RAW so I decided to try and download v2.3 back on to my card. When I put the card back in the camera it booted up with ML on it just fine!

sebble

I do get some little black/stuck pixels with ISO 1250 and higher  :-[ :-[ :-[

togg

Great work to all the dev! The last build seems really cool. I'm doing some noob testing with my sandisk 60mb/s (43/real).
The image quality is so wonderful <3

Quote from: sebble on June 09, 2013, 12:13:09 AM
I do get some little black/stuck pixels with ISO 1250 and higher  :-[ :-[ :-[

camera raw should help you to get rid of them :)

reddeercity

Hello All  :)
install the new June 8th built, speed is the same 1880x854 good and steady, reliable.
i did have a problem in crop mode 10x recorded 1880x854 pink corruption on the top 1/3
of the image and the bottom 2/3  was distorted, but on alternating frame , used the new
raw2dng.exe .
i had no problem in the 5x crop mode @ 1880x854 look OK & of course in full screen  had No problems.
I like the raw record menu option :) that's great plus the option for the black overlay is cool to,
personal i don't use it .
i did notice a slight increase in writing load from 64.3MB/s to 67 - 68.5MB/s
i had not problems writing with my Lexar 1000x 32GB card .
i going to do the tests again and see if i have problems with the 10x mode.

ted ramasola

Quote from: reddeercity on June 09, 2013, 06:15:24 AM
Hello All  :)
install the new June 8th built, speed is the same 1880x854 good and steady, reliable.
i did have a problem in crop mode 10x recorded 1880x854 pink corruption on the top 1/3
of the image and the bottom 2/3  was distorted, but on alternating frame , used the new
raw2dng.exe .
i had no problem in the 5x crop mode @ 1880x854 look OK & of course in full screen  had No problems.
I like the raw record menu option :) that's great plus the option for the black overlay is cool to,
personal i don't use it .
i did notice a slight increase in writing load from 64.3MB/s to 67 - 68.5MB/s
i had not problems writing with my Lexar 1000x 32GB card .
i going to do the tests again and see if i have problems with the 10x mode.

You could record in x10 crop mode with the 5d2 now? I did know it could do that.

Testing it.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

yes, you can record in 10x & 5x
i just finish a crop record test to see if i still had the problem,
I seem to have no problem now  :o
this is a list of what my 5D2 did in crop mode  i think it was 5x ,

1920x1038= 365 frames @24p
2048x820 =  2040 frames @24p  :)
2048x930 = 540 frames @24p  ???
2152x1078 = 176 frames @24p

and at  2K the image is out standing  ;D
recorded to Lexar 1000x 32GB card

update: 10x crop mode
              2152x718 @24p until the card is Full
              Write speed 63.0 - 66.2MB/s (about)
              1 Star Buffer most of time, the odd time
              it would go to 2 buffer stars but only briefly

ted ramasola

Quote from: reddeercity on June 09, 2013, 07:45:10 AM
yes, you can record in 10x & 5x
i just finish a crop record test to see if i still had the problem,

My test with my charts show that you can't record in 10x crop mode.

You will be viewing canon preview in 10x magnify and when you press raw recording, only 5x crop mode will be recorded with offset framing.

In 5x magnify crop mode, you can use ML preview for proper framing (b&W) and what you you framed is actually what is recorded.

So here are my issues with this build, jun 8 uploaded by a.d.

1. raw recording should not be possible when 10x magnify is engaged if only 5x is possible. An info text should show instead what is and what is not possible.

2. Half press shutter enables raw recording when af-on is selected, half press should be disabled for raw record.

3. Settings are not saved upon power off and reboot and defaults not ideal, for instance wav recording is default when this is problematic on 5d2.
with so many settings to engage before recording, like ratio, sound, rec button etc, saving your settings is important.

4. a minor bug,  after format, the file browser is not updated immediately and still shows old files. though upon turning lv on and off then going back to ml menu it is now refreshed. this is minor but might mislead someone.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

1. what if you want to focus on the bigger image?

2. that's why I still recommend the LiveView button (all these top buttons send the same code)

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on June 09, 2013, 09:52:26 AM
1. what if you want to focus on the bigger image?

2. that's why I still recommend the LiveView button (all these top buttons send the same code)

Focusing via magnify is always an aid tool, but information should be indicated that what is recorded is still 5x crop, as previous poster reddeercity mistakenly believes that what he is seeing is actually being recorded. If this is left as is its ok, but really less useful as it is less accurate for framing.

The previous build does not activate recording via half press. Just remove the live view option for record as consensus is that most find the options between af_on or joystick is a more logical in terms of "finger management". ;)

edit: I double checked going far as may 31 and found that , YES half press raw rec is still there.
So, ok if this is difficult, we can leave it as is, I can live with it as accidental recordings can now be deleted unlike the early builds.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Well, the AF-ON is technically impossible to implemement reliably (if you compile from the official repo you won't find that there), and joystick... it's for centering the focus box.

I prefer portable code, and for now, LiveView button is the only portable solution, because almost all other cameras are using it for normal H.264 recording (except 50D). The idea behind modules was that they should be portable, same binary working on all cameras.

Also, a.d. should point out the differences between his builds the and main repo.

ted ramasola

Quote from: a1ex on June 09, 2013, 10:07:50 AM
Well, the AF-ON is technically impossible to implemement reliably (if you compile from the official repo you won't find that there), and joystick... it's for centering the focus box.

I prefer portable code, and for now, LiveView button is the only portable solution, because almost all other cameras are using it for normal H.264 recording (except 50D). The idea behind modules was that they should be portable, same binary working on all cameras.

Also, a.d. should point out the differences between his builds the and main repo.

for the rec button, i'm fine that the options are given.
its ok then. I can live with it as it would be similar to some video cameras with dual or even triple buttons for recording, the handgrip, top handle and sometimes in other part of the camera body, in eng cams it would be in the left part front area.

Hopefully the ability to save settings would also finally be figured out, I think that's more important than the other quirks I am reporting.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

aleksei.lungu

Hi Guys! Need help!

I have used mac about ten ears. But now i have noob brain for this moment.  I try to install Raw to MKII.
Downloaded right zip from topicstarter link, Copied file to ML root folder and started terminal like this

And it has ganerated some new files.

Tell me, what i'm doing wrong, and can someone make quick little tutorial step by step.. ))  I need to shot a music video in several hours. Big thanks.

Big thanks :)

PressureFM

Quote from: aleksei.lungu on June 09, 2013, 01:18:05 PM
Hi Guys! Need help!

I have used mac about ten ears. But now i have noob brain for this moment.  I try to install Raw to MKII.
Downloaded right zip from topicstarter link, Copied file to ML root folder and started terminal like this

http://s019.radikal.ru/i638/1306/47/529663ac761d.png

And it has ganerated some new files.
http://s16.radikal.ru/i190/1306/67/8886fbbf167e.jpg

Tell me, what i'm doing wrong, and can someone make quick little tutorial step by step.. ))  I need to shot a music video in several hours. Big thanks.

Big thanks :)

What exactly are you trying to do in Terminal? Joining files over 4 GB? You don't need to fiddle with that to record RAW video on the 5D Mark II.

Look at the tutorial on how to install Magic Lantern on your camera.

Doyle4

The latest OSX RAW2DNG isnt working for me  :-[, creates two separate folders both empty and lots of txt shows in the box underneath in details, im using an older version which works well  :) but would be nice to be able to use some of the new features :) im not sure what version im currently using either as under About it shows 1.0 still and noticed it says that on all versions i downloaded.

cheguevara

Quote from: noix222 on June 08, 2013, 08:42:34 AM
using jun 6 build... not full hd but 2:1 is close enough... yes that's pretty much what everyone using a 1000x+ card will get with a 5dmk2 i guess... personally i dont like filming long takes, unless it is necessary, or im intended too. So 4GB limit with RAW is fine for me, with +-1500 frames i can film a lot of stuff ! :D im going to get a mk3 to work together... might be good live out of the moire/aliasing word tho.  :o

edit: probably for the last five months all my work was finished with 2:35 crop.... now its coming out straight ! :D and RAW that's GOLD for me!
Can you please share (upload) your complete ML foder with autoexe.bin and *.fir files... I cant seem to manage it to work... its confusing why there are no complete builds for download... thank you very much!

reddeercity

Quote from: cheguevara on June 09, 2013, 08:26:05 PM
Can you please share (upload) your complete ML foder with autoexe.bin and *.fir files... I cant seem to manage it to work... its confusing why there are no complete builds for download... thank you very much!

If you go back to pages (6), (7) i wrote a short tutorial how to
install from the beginning with prepare your card etc...
about half way down the page.
make sure you read the part about "SCRIPTS" on page 7 ;)