5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shuntian

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 04, 2013, 04:54:54 AM
You don't copy the folders only the file inside. Choose which one then replace the one in MODULES folder.

thanks, it works perfect on my 5d2. I can record 1880x800 around 800 frames and 1800x1058 around 200 frames on my komputer bay 1000x 64gb card.

ted ramasola

Quote from: shuntian on June 04, 2013, 08:04:30 AM
thanks, it works perfect on my 5d2. I can record 1880x800 around 800 frames and 1800x1058 around 200 frames on my komputer bay 1000x 64gb card.

Glad you got it to work.
The komputerbay cf cards are really not performing as advertised as I can get stable and continuous recording with 1000x lexar at 1880 x 854. 1,596 frames at 1880 x 940 and 349 frames at 1880 x 1058.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ted ramasola

Shuntian,

I don't know if this will help but have you tried going to canon menu and disable RAW stills and choose only JPEG "L" .

I believe your raw video recording will improve.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Clemens

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 04, 2013, 08:11:09 AM
Glad you got it to work.
The komputerbay cf cards are really not performing as advertised as I can get stable and continuous recording with 1000x lexar at 1880 x 854. 1,596 frames at 1880 x 940 and 349 frames at 1880 x 1058.
I've got a Lexar 1000x 64GB Card and I can get around 7 to 8 Gigs with a 1880x854 Resolution - what are you doing to improve the speed? I turned of Canon Screen Overlays, I also set Still Picture in Canon Menu to JPG L like you said (btw: why does this matter?) but all in all the buffer seems to fill up after a while.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Clemens on June 04, 2013, 10:16:57 AM
I've got a Lexar 1000x 64GB Card and I can get around 7 to 8 Gigs with a 1880x854 Resolution - what are you doing to improve the speed? I turned of Canon Screen Overlays, I also set Still Picture in Canon Menu to JPG L like you said (btw: why does this matter?) but all in all the buffer seems to fill up after a while.

Did you try turning global draw in ML menu to OFF? In my test it is suppose to be continuous. I tested up to 16 gig then i got tired and turned it off.  I will try longer.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Clemens

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 04, 2013, 10:33:16 AM
Did you try turning global draw in ML menu to OFF? In my test it is suppose to be continuous. I tested up to 16 gig then i got tired and turned it off.  I will try longer.
Yep - Global Draw is off. I tried now three times and it stopped after around 7 Gig each approach.
The only thing that I can see on the screen is one small line showing the recording area and - perhaps i can deactivate this somewhere, a box for face detection.
Which build are you using?

ted ramasola

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

shuntian

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 04, 2013, 10:02:10 AM
Shuntian,

I don't know if this will help but have you tried going to canon menu and disable RAW stills and choose only JPEG "L" .

I believe your raw video recording will improve.

actually I disable raw still and choose JPEG 'S', I can record 3 minutes 2.35:1. I think that is good enough. I use raw2dng to transfer the raw video to dng sequence, some videos larger than 2g works, but some are not. Do u have some better advice for the workflow?

alexcosy

Hi guys, first post here as i'm new to ML RAw.  ;)

I have several questions concerning the post workflow and i'm sure it could othere people too.

I'm using raw2dng and import the sequence into After Effects. When importing ACR opens up, as wanted, and my first question is, what settings do you set your raw sequence?
A part from white balance, in termes of contrasts, blacks, exposure brightness etc...
I tend to set everything to "0" except for recovery or exposure if i feel the need. I don't understand why ACR always want to give me like +25 brightness and some contrast too...
I also go and set every sharpen tool or denoiser to 0.

Why do i do that? Cause i want to grade in resolve, so i like a flatten picture, with minimum noise and alteration and maximum signal in order to then encode in prores4444 or 422HQ. And it seems to me that i get a better image than if all set as default by ACR.

- So : am i right or not? For example, by default ACR sets a +5 blacks, why? Do i degrade my blacks setting it back to 0 ?

- Then, in AE, what color space do you set your project to?
"None" (by default) seems too contrasty for me compared to what i have in ACR, rec709 seems more accurate... What does this means? Are we actually in video levels 16-235 with the ML raw footage or am i getting that wrong?
And 16bits right?

Those would be my questions, and if you guys could enlighten me, it would be much appreciated! :)

Many thx
(Sorry for my mistakes, as english is not my native language).

Inchiology

Hi,

Anyone know the limitations of the 5DmkII versus 5DmkIII in relation to Magic lantern Raw Vid?

1. Is there a limitation in resolution
2. Record Length (only 10 sec or more)
3. etc...

Thanks

reddeercity

Quote from: Clemens on June 04, 2013, 10:42:54 AM
Yep - Global Draw is off. I tried now three times and it stopped after around 7 Gig each approach.
The only thing that I can see on the screen is one small line showing the recording area and - perhaps i can deactivate this somewhere, a box for face detection.
Which build are you using?

Hello  :) do you have frame over ride turn on?
made sure it on & set to 24 "exact FPS"
i just on may way to Work, hope that helps

romainmenke

Hi, long time user of ML and have now also switched to RAW on the 5D 2.
I had some trouble on my last test. A file bigger than 4gb wouldn't convert to DNG with the latest build of RAW2DNG, the ML RAW build was from 31/05.

Just reporting, no complaints ;) keep up the good work!!

pacman829

Just tried the latest release June 4th, with the raw module that came with it (joystick on) and was noticing i was getting a max of about 300 frames at 720p (2.35:1)  .. which i was able to do pretty much continuos before (may 23rd build)

even on my slow sandisk ultra card 30 mb/s
5mkII User

ted ramasola

Quote from: romainmenke on June 04, 2013, 10:16:20 PM
Hi, long time user of ML and have now also switched to RAW on the 5D 2.
I had some trouble on my last test. A file bigger than 4gb wouldn't convert to DNG with the latest build of RAW2DNG, the ML RAW build was from 31/05.

Just reporting, no complaints ;) keep up the good work!!

what are the steps you do to convert the the.RAW files? You have to join them first via cmd prompt then drag over the raw2dng.exe.
If you did not join them first and simply dragged the spanned file, ex ( ******.R00 ) to the raw2dng.exe then you get pink noise.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

romainmenke

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 05, 2013, 01:12:13 AM
what are the steps you do to convert the the.RAW files? You have to join them first via cmd prompt then drag over the raw2dng.exe.
If you did not join them first and simply dragged the spanned file, ex ( ******.R00 ) to the raw2dng.exe then you get pink noise.

I did not know that.
I'm on a mac, does this also apply? (probably yes)
I had no trouble with files smaller than 4gb, but I also only got the .R00 files when I crossed the 4GB "barrier".

Workflow:
Record, copy to HD, throw in RAW2DNG, develop in ACR to tiff.

Where can I find detailed instructions on this? As I said, I first followed these topics for a couple of weeks, but I missed some info.
Thx!

romainmenke

Found it:

OSX/LINUX
Start Terminal
1. cd /Volumes/my_destination_folder
2. cat xyz.RAW xyz.R00 xyz.R01 > xyz.RAW

romainmenke

No Luck, still getting the "Error: This ain't a lv_rec RAW file" error.
Is this just a broken file or am I still doing something wrong?

I successfully joined one .RAW with one .R00 the combined file is also the size of the 2 together so I think that went well.

reddeercity

Hello All  :)
I just installed the new June 4th Bulit.
And i have to "Say Very Good Job Guys" it keep getting better all the time! 8)
file management , very nice i like that. Work smoothly no problems, deleted only one file at a time.
But the best feature by far is the "Dolly Mode" now you can utilized the complete sensor
I can see my self using that feature .

Like Always the speed is maintained i Have No problem record 1880x854 24p @64.3MB/s with Lexar 1000x 32GB
Look like the Limit for 14 bit on 5d2 right now until the 12 & 10 bit get going.

ted ramasola

Quote from: reddeercity on June 05, 2013, 04:34:10 AM
Like Always the speed is maintained i Have No problem record 1880x854 24p @64.3MB/s with Lexar 1000x 32GB
Look like the Limit for 14 bit on 5d2 right now until the 12 & 10 bit get going.

Confirmed this too. Jun 4 build.

Speeds are maintained.

1880 x 854 is the biggest resolution that is stable in both 1X and in crop mode 5X.

I like there is no more pink cast on magnify modes.

Some issues to look into.

In crop mode:

While in preview, proper framing is available in mono and lores- when recording is started this reverts to canon magnify/in color but offset framing. not ideal when you a following a moving subject.

Some playback issues using file file browser. No playback just characters at top edge of lcd screen.

edited: corrected previous findings about flicker. It was a non issue.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

mihaii

Ted, can you do a test and record 1600x900 and tell me how many frames you get? (I believe you have a Lexar 1000x 32GB, right?)
Thanks

togg

Quote from: ted ramasola on June 05, 2013, 05:16:40 AM
Confirmed this too. Jun 4 build.

Speeds are maintained.

1880 x 854 is the biggest resolution that is stable in both 1X and in crop mode 5X.

I like this. I hope that my Komputerbay will be able to handle it.

togg

Quote from: mihaii on June 05, 2013, 02:31:45 PM
Ted, can you do a test and record 1600x900 and tell me how many frames you get? (I believe you have a Lexar 1000x 32GB, right?)
Thanks

I'm interested in this as well.

silvertonesx24

Are there plans to integrate the other raw_rec.mo with this build? I like this build but I really like the feature of the other raw_rec for 5D where it shuts off the global draw off automatically

danielcreed

i've been playing around with the new build and it's the best one so far for me.

I get very stable recordings at 1880x706 1720x732 and 1600x800 that fill the card with no buffer problems.

A few things to mention, i'm using an 8gb Sandisk Extreme 60mb/s, everything in the liveview is turned off, global draw is off, photo mode is jpeg and that seems to boost writing speeds a lot.

I've also noticed that at higher resolutions i get a bigger number of frames if i shoot in the monochrome profile and if fps override is activated, don't know if they are connected in any way i'm just reporting what i see and get.

One other thing is that the body starts to heat up a bit after 1 hour or so of recording raw, at one point the temperture inside was 63C.

I did the benchmark for writing and reading and interestingly enough the speed was lower from what i was seeing while recording.

i get roughly 43mb/s in the benchmarks and when i'm recording i see speeds up to 52mb/s

will test some more!

ted ramasola

Quote from: mihaii on June 05, 2013, 02:31:45 PM
Thanks

1600 x 900 is stable and continuous. Just one * on the buffer. Using 32 gig  1000x Lexar.

Highest res it can do is 1880 x 854 2.20:1.

Highest 16:9 res it can do is 1720 X 968.

1880 x 1058 16:9  approx 349 frames.

1880 x 940 2:1 approx 1,596 frames -thats already slightly past a minute and spans 2 files.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas