5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pholler

Hey guys,

i keep on reading about 3x-magnification in mlv_rec here in the forum. Is this a 5D3-only feature? I can only get 5x and 10x magnification.
When i push the magnify-plus-button on the camera during a mlv-recording the image gets magnified by 5x but recording stops instantly. Am i doing something wrong or is magnification not possible during recording?
Would be quite cool to use a wide-angle prime instead of a zoom.

Greetz
Peter

mageye

It's not a 5DMkIII specific mode. It's not really a magnification as such it's actually a crop of the sensor rather than the 'line skipping'. It avoids moire too.

Yes you can do it on the 5DMKII. It works.

Basically you will be able to record when you are in the 5x zoom mode (the 10x does not function that's just how it is).

Check out this video which explains it nicely:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ51rE_ZUgo
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

pholler

Thanx mageye for the reply! Sure, it's not a real optical magnification, it's reduced line skipping.

I still don't know how to activate this 3x-magnification. Is there a special menu hidden somewhere?
When i press the magnification-button on the cam it goes into 5x-magnification (not 3x!) and when i press the set-button to start the recording the camera zooms out and starts a h.264-recording instead of mlv.

My mlv-settings are:
Resolution: 1872x1012
Aspect ratio: 1.85:1
Global Draw: Allow
Frame skipping: off
Preview: Auto
Digital dolly: off
Extra Hacks: on

mageye

From what I can see; what you are doing is correct. There is no magic here as such (apart from the Magic Lantern itself! ;)). You just record when you are in the zoomed mode. The 3x zoom is the amount it's actually 'zooming'. Basically ignore the 5x it's actually 3x!!!

Anyway ... You are obviously triggering the h264 recording at the same time (or instead?) as the MLV RAW video. You obviously need to stop the h264 from recording and that's the bit I am not sure about?

I have had that before but now my cam is set up so it doesn't do that. I just can't remember what I switched. I am pretty sure if you did a fresh install with the latest build it should 'just work'.

I really can't remember what it was that I did to ensure that it only records just RAW but I know most things are common sense.

Maybe someone else can put us straight with that one? Sorry I can't help more than that right now!
5DMKII | 500D | KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional 1000x |Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III | Zoom H2 (4CH. audio recorder) | Mac OS X 10.9.2 | Photoshop CC | After Effects CC | Final Cut Pro 7

reddeercity

The optimal setting for the 5D2 for continuous recording with 64GB Lexar 1000x card, at lest for my camera are as follows:
No HDMI attach, Non Crop mode with Feb 4th mlv build from a.d.
1872x938 23.976p + audio
Global Draw Off when recording
Preview Mode - Hack preview or HDMI* preview (note* this is only with a.d.'s builds)
Extra Hacks - On
Frame Over Ride = On (Exact 23.976)
Buffer fill rate - 0 or 1
In the Canon menu I use Small raw in Photo Mode
I posted a short Video about hdmi recorder with 5d2 on the new format mlv+audio
From about the 5:00 to 9:17 I show my setting for raw/mlv, I thinks that should help
If not just ask .
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5533.msg102567#msg102567

pholler

Thanx for your replies! I found the setting that caused the h.264-recording. I selected Prefs->LiveView zoom tweaks->Auto exposure on Zoom. After deactivating this function it worked just fine!

When using 3x-magnification the refresh rate is extremely low when Global Draw is on.

@reddeecity:
I also use a 64 GB Lexar 1000x an tried different resolutions. In the recent a.d.-releases the transfer rate got quite good while Global Draw is on. I luv shooting with Focus Peaking and Zebras. With Global Draw on and 1856x1004 i can shoot about one minute. That's enough for one scene.
With the mentioned resolution of 1872x938 i think you can even activate Global Draw an still get continuous recordings as long as the card is already warmed up. The Lexar 1000x is one of the cards that highly benefits from card warm-up. Most of the time i shoot stills with my 5D2 and for that i don't want the warm-up procedure to be done on every boot of my cam. Would it be possible to make a little menu-entry in the card warm-up menu where you could manually trigger the warm-up procedure?
I also found out that the Lexar 1000x needs far more than 1 GB to reach it's maximum performance. 4 or 6 GB would be just perfect.

Btw. it's a pity that the beep and the remaining time indicator disappeared. Those were great features.

reddeercity

No Lexar card are not the one's you need to warmup
You shouldn't have to warm up at all to reach max. Performance
You may have a bad card.
You will get far more stable recording with Global Draw Off.
You only need to see on screen display to adjust exposure etc...
After that you start recording you can't adjust anyways, so I would learn
To work without it then you can get larger stable frame size.

pholler

Are you sure that the Lexar cards don't benefit from warm-up? Did you try it with yours?

Well, i record kids. Everything they do is unpredictable and for that i need the flexibility to change the focus during recording. Without focus peaking it's quite hard. Sure, if you record an interview you don't need Global Draw at all.

reddeercity

Yes I have, there is no difference in fact I notice it would slow down
To point where I could no longer get continous recording .
The hotter the card gets the less reliable it becomes & after 10 plus minutes
Which is about 60GB the card get very warm to almost hot
But in a professional work environment you need to have reliable
Cards that are ready to be filled up  continous or not.
I being running on the same Lexar cards since May of 2013.
:)

cmac

Had fun time to play with some very strange set of lenses and res chart shooting :-)
It's all about 3x (displayed as 5X) shooting versus 1X and moire.
For me there the main thing is that the color moire is much less in 3X.
Yet You need to consider the choice of lenses carefuly.
In critical situation this can give You a slight edge though...
Still for the one I used - a nikon mount Sigma 10-20 it is always closed at F22 when unmounted, so I had some more manual tweaking the lens with cardboard to keep it open :-)

JosiahDuncan

Wow, finally getting to post here about the first project I've done that was %100 raw video using an old build from a few months ago! Loving all the fantastic free progress, it's like I have a whole new camera! Did this a few months back but it's finally going to be released soon, I suppose it's time to upgrade my ML version.

I used a build before the audio was added, shot in 1880 x 800, graded through davinci resolve. Hmm, it seems the biggest changes are the addition of audio and getting rid of 1880 mode? Is this true?

ted ramasola

audio is added via mlv_snd. 1880 is still in the raw_rec a.d. build not in the mlv module.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

JosiahDuncan

Awesome thanks, thought 1880 was gone

PeterR

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 04, 2014, 10:50:33 PM
audio is added via mlv_snd. 1880 is still in the raw_rec a.d. build not in the mlv module.

Hi Ted. I was getting audio wav files with the mlv's with a feb build. What do you mean audio is added? I'm in the middle of figuring out how to sync the wav's with the DNGs using a davinci resolve>premiere>resolve workflow.
GH4 + 5D2 w magic lantern. Davinci Resolve>Premiere Pro>Davinci Resolve workflow

xvince1

Hi, does anybody knows on what ML release the black mask in LW in Raw mode disapeared ? I use the last of 02/2014 and I don't see it anymore in option.

& Again : thank's to ML team  :)

ted ramasola

Quote from: xvince1 on March 07, 2014, 12:29:02 PM
Hi, does anybody knows on what ML release the black mask in LW in Raw mode disapeared ? I use the last of 02/2014 and I don't see it anymore in option.

& Again : thank's to ML team  :)

The black mask border is still there in both raw_rec and mlv. Looking at Mar 2 nightly.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: PeterR on March 05, 2014, 10:47:57 PM
Hi Ted. I was getting audio wav files with the mlv's with a feb build. What do you mean audio is added? I'm in the middle of figuring out how to sync the wav's with the DNGs using a davinci resolve>premiere>resolve workflow.

You can manually link the audio in resolve so you can export them as individual clips, if you don't link them, the clips will be exported without sound. When you export the resolve timeline as a SINGLE clip audio is included.

Look at page 122-124 of the Resolve manual PDF. There is a "one click" method to link all wav file to the clips however, I found out that longer clips will have a linked wav file that suddenly has no sound half way, and you can see in the resolve timeline the linked waveform volume is gone halfway. what I did was manually link only the problematic clips so I don't have to link all.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

reddeercity

The oct 24th a.d. build is the one  I use for Raw try that, you still can
download It .

xvince1

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 07, 2014, 06:23:30 PM
The black mask border is still there in both raw_rec and mlv. Looking at Mar 2 nightly.

Thank's Ted. i don't really understand how to active it, as I have all modules activated. I will see further.  :)

Do you have some feedback about reliability of KB CF for RAW since last summer ? My 128Gb still work very nicely (even I got some issue yesterday...), but I don't use it as professionnal work like U do.

ted ramasola

Quote from: xvince1 on March 10, 2014, 12:02:17 PM
Thank's Ted. i don't really understand how to active it, as I have all modules activated. I will see further.  :)

Do you have some feedback about reliability of KB CF for RAW since last summer ? My 128Gb still work very nicely (even I got some issue yesterday...),

If you are shooting mostly raw video, you should not load "all modules" as you stated. I'd say load only the essential ones. You can load only either raw_rec or mlv_rec, but not both.

In my case I load only 5 modules.

file manager
mlv_rec.mo
mlv_snd.mo
mlv_play
pic viewer

As for the KB, the 32 and 64 1000X are the top performers, 128 gig cards are very slightly slower than the 64s and the 128 1050x is slightly better than the 128 1000x.
The 128 1050x is ideal when using longer recordings at 1728x864, you can do 1728x972 if your clips are only at approx 2min each.

The 128 1050x can get higher resolutions on the 7D compared to the 5d2.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xvince1

Hi Ted , so finally the 1050x work with 5D2 ?

For the black mask, I have try the old release from 24/10/2013 and I have the mask in the RAW menu named recording frame (with the choice between black bar or white rectangle) but I can't find it in the it in the last releases. I have only load all modules to find this, I don't usually load them aside RAW modules.

ted ramasola

The white rectangle is not there anymore just the black borders.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xvince1

I just find out : the black borders only appear with MLV module, not in RAW module anymore... I'm used to record in 1880x854, and 1880 isn't in MLV module, that's why I do not use MLV. I have to choose... I'm pretty happy with RAW module and RAWinizer... I'm not very familiar with MLV tools

ted ramasola

Quote from: xvince1 on March 10, 2014, 10:53:41 PM
I just find out : the black borders only appear with MLV module, not in RAW module anymore... I'm used to record in 1880x854, and 1880 isn't in MLV module, that's why I do not use MLV. I have to choose... I'm pretty happy with RAW module and RAWinizer... I'm not very familiar with MLV tools

I was in your shoes, at the early stages of MLV. Now its ready. Sound is a good thing. The tools you need are also there.

Go for the Mar 2 nightly and you're good. Though I have only begun testing the mar 10, the mar 2 is what you want for MLV.

The resolutions you can do continuous recoding on a 64gig 1000x compared with a 128gig 1050X
are:
Resolution                 128gig 1050 x   64gig 1000x
1X mode      
1728 x 972 16:9                   +- 2'9"   continuous
1728 x 934 1.85:1            +- 1'11"   continuous
1728 x 864 2:1      continuous/gd off   continuous
1792 x 968 1.85:1                  44"   2'59"
1792 x 896 2:1      continuous/GD off   continuous
1856 x 928 2:1                      +-34"   continuous
1856 x 844 2.20:1             +-3'41"   continuous
1856 x 790 2.35:1  continuous/GD-off   continuous
1872 x 850 2.20:1                +-3'    continuous
1872 x 796 2.35:1             +-1'32"   continuous
1872 x 784 2.39:1        continuous   continuous

3X crop mode with Global Draw ON      

Resolution                 128gig 1050 x   64gig 1000x
1728 x 972 16:9                   +-1'4"   continuous
1728 x 934 1.85:1                +-1'   continuous
1728 x 864 2:1             continuous   continuous
1856 x 928 2:1                    +-18"   continuous
1856 x 844 2.20:1       continuous   continuous
1920 x 872 2.20:1              +-53"   continuous
1920 x 818 2.35:1            +-4'28"   continuous
1920 x 804 2.39:1       continuous   continuous
2048 x 872 2.35:1              +-34"   continuous
2048 x 856 2.39:1              +-36"   continuous
2048 x 820 2.50:1       continuous   continuous

On the 7D the 1050X can do 99 % of the resolutions the 64 1000x can do.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

xvince1

thank's Ted, I will see further on MLV. I've read the topic of reddeer to extract RAW+wav, but I need a topic for synchro in after effect or premiere. So 1050x cards are full functionnal on 5D2 ?