5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

This helps a lot. @a.d. (or anyone else with coding skills), can you do a hg bisect and pinpoint the changeset that triggered the bug?

reddeercity

@a.d. I just check the nightly for feb16th, in the Raw/mlv menu there a new
feature called "Status when recording" 3 option- none, icon, debug. This give us back the
text information box. Would it be possible to implement this feature from that nightly
in to your build ?  :D

mrd777

Does anyone know why after roughly 1 min 15 sec, my camera mirror closes and stops recording? I'm using 2:35 aspect ratio and 1850 (or something like that) resolution. I'm also getting dropped frames toward the end. Using Canon CF extreme pro 90 mb/s UMDA 6 (according to ML, it will record at like 50 mb/s on the resolution and aspect I'm using)

a1ex

What does the menu help text say for raw_rec?

(read it out loud)

mrd777

Quote from: a1ex on February 17, 2014, 06:58:55 AM
What does the menu help text say for raw_rec?

(read it out loud)

Thanks for pointing that out. For anyone who comes across this message, it said that Auto power off was enabled in the Canon menu - I disabled that and it went beyond the 1 min.

a1ex

At some point, this text was printed in red blinking font ;)

mrd777

Quote from: a1ex on February 17, 2014, 08:15:20 AM
At some point, this text was printed in red blinking font ;)

Must have been on my first run of it, when everything was new to me and I didn't catch it. :D

SpcCb

Quote from: a1ex on February 16, 2014, 03:39:06 PM
This helps a lot. @a.d. (or anyone else with coding skills), can you do a hg bisect and pinpoint the changeset that triggered the bug?
I'v thought to do that to see myself where is the problem to point it (plus try to corrected it, I can compile since some times) but I did not had time to check all old builds yet (between 2013-07 -> 2013-09, it was during these dates), to see when it append.

Maybe it was during the autoexec unification. This needs confirmation however I suspect that the bug was injected when the unification was done because the bug was present in NB but not in a.d. builds at this time.

a.d.

Hi a1ex! I've tried bisect and it's time consuming... I think there seems to be no working version for 5D2 either. What I found so far, the "Double Buffering" and "Global Draw" have some kind of influence on the image sequence.

Revision 7651 (August)
some Revisions forward and backward=> bug!

Revision 6644
Single Buffering: Global Draw On
[1][2][2][3][3][4][4][5][5][6][6][7][7][8][9][9][10][10][11][11][12][12][13][13][14][14][15][16][16][17][17][18][18][19]...[n]
Single Buffering: Global Draw Off
[1][2][2][3][3][4][4][5][5][6][6]...[n][n]
[1][1][2][2][3][3][4][4][5][5][6][6]...[n]
The pattern is more seamless mostly double.

Revision 6650
Double Buffering: Global Draw Off
[1][2][3][2][4][2][5][2][6][2]...
Double Buffering: Global Draw On
[corrupt][1][corrupt][2][corrupt]5-9x corrupt and back to the second frame is different
Sometimes the last frame is corrupt only

Note
Revision 7198 (commit) too high write speed info in low fps (Revision 7195:  more accurat write speed - Revision 7212: not)

reddeercity

@a.d. Back about 3 or 4 weeks ago I asked for suggestion for mlv+5d2 video tutorial .
you made a suggestion/request for HDMI setup guide, will here is my effort. Used the Feb4th hack view crop mode build
I hope you ALL like it.  :D

P.S. I have plans for a video tutorial with both Evf & hdmi recorder later on.

dariSSight

Quote from: reddeercity on February 19, 2014, 09:12:25 AM
@a.d. Back about 3 or 4 weeks ago I asked for suggestion for mlv+5d2 video tutorial .
you made a suggestion/request for HDMI setup guide, will here is my effort. Used the Feb4th hack view crop mode build
I hope you ALL like it.  :D
P.S. I have plans for a video tutorial with both Evf & hdmi recorder later on.
Thanks for the tutorial, I'm curious about some of the equipment you had on the table you recorded. Please explain and give me pricing of equipment. Thanks
Canon 5D Mark II

reddeercity

Quote from: dariSSight on February 19, 2014, 01:18:06 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, I'm curious about some of the equipment you had on the table you recorded. Please explain and give me pricing of equipment. Thanks
Lower left of the image , is my Zacuto Evf + 2.5x Doppler, just above that the frame for the camera so the Doppler can mount to the back
of the 5D2 against the Lcd screen. To the right is my Redrock Micro Matte Box with 4x5.65 Glass ND Filters.
Zacuto Evf - $665 cdn (demo unit)
Zacuto Z-Finder(Doppler+frame) Pro 2.5x for 3.2" Screens $429 cdn
Redrock Micro Matte Box $ 995
Redrock Micro  4x5.65 Glass ND filter kit (set of 3) $659
All these component's fit together on my Redrock Micro Cinema Camea rig.
Plus I can hang all my audio gear on the rig.
The Z-finder pro 2.5x was my first investment after my 5d2, For run & gun it's a must it give you a extra contact point
plus fine focus better exposure  in daylight or bright area's
Then the Evf was my second this improve my content with more actuate image to adjust for exposure or when pulling focus.
The list of benefits go on and on,  yes there are not cheap and you don't really need them but its really is nice to have them.
I would say it will save you money in the long run , because you can get your shot quicker and with less change of messing up.  :D 

Daedalus0506

Hey Im curious about what happened to the white framing on screen which helped to see whats being recorded. I just switched from June 2013 build to the latest :D

ted ramasola

Quote from: Daedalus0506 on February 20, 2014, 10:00:44 PM
Hey Im curious about what happened to the white framing on screen which helped to see whats being recorded. I just switched from June 2013 build to the latest :D

The black border framing with white trim replaced it.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Kharak

Anyone else having problems taking photos with the last 5 builds ?

My camera locks up pretty much everytime I take a photo with the last builds since dec or so.

Got another card running some build from summer and I got no problem there, so wondering if anyone else got the same?
once you go raw you never go back

dd2020

May I ask...
What's happen to this?
Look like ML on 5Dll cannot render  correct pixels when shooting at pattern things like buildings' windows or floors.
I used October 4th build and 32GB Sandisk CF Extreme Pro 1067X (up to 160MB/S read 150MB/S write)
Is this ML limitation of 5Dll ? or I have to change to other builds?
Or I have to upgrade to 5Dlll?

Today I will try new build, the October 24 th.

Thank you mates.

:)

ted ramasola

please update your photo to 900x900px. per forum rules.

THAT is what is called color aliasing and moire. It is there due to line skipping of the sensor and is present even in h264.
Video mode involves line skipping/photo mode does not.
Its in all canon dslrs except the mkIII which have minimal moire due to a more aggressive OLPF. BUT h264 is somewhat soft.

Its more obvious now due to raw and the only way to minimize it is via mosaic VAF filter.

You will find it very minimal to almost non in crop mode since its a 1:1 pixel recording from the sensor and no line skipping.

The mkIII does not have this problem so much.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

dd2020

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 23, 2014, 07:30:12 AM
please update your photo to 900x900px. per forum rules.

THAT is what is called color aliasing and moire. It is there due to line skipping of the sensor and is present even in h264.
Video mode involves line skipping/photo mode does not.
Its in all canon dslrs except the mkIII which have minimal moire due to a more aggressive OLPF. BUT h264 is somewhat soft.

Its more obvious now due to raw and the only way to minimize it is via mosaic VAF filter.

You will find it very minimal to almost non in crop mode since its a 1:1 pixel recording from the sensor and no line skipping.

The mkIII does not have this problem so much.
Thanks you so much for your help..

Kharak

MLV module failed me miserably yesterday.

Did a take of 2090 frames and the middle 600 frames are missing or corrupted. Too bad I didn't find out until I came home... doh!!

build 2014/02/04 (75649ffe291b) (dont ask me why I was still using this one)

Camera: 5D MK II

Modules: MLV_rec + snd

Resolution: 2:1 1872x936

Card: Lexar 128 gb 1000x

GD: ON

Buffer Method: 1

Extra hacks: ON

frame skipping: ((OFF))

Recorded 2090 frames and of which a chunck of some 600 frames is missing somewhere in the middle of the take.

When I play the mlv file in mlvrawviewer somewhere in the middle of the take it starts skipping frames and then 600 frames are black and then it continues playing again like normal. Tried MLVbrowsesharp and MLVconverter and both extract only 1394 frames.

Extra notes: I noticed while it was recording that it struggled to increase expected frames to "Continues OK", but when it got there it would at times drop down again to specific number of frames and then back again to continues. (if that helps)

Never experienced dropped frames with RAW_rec.

Luckily the set is still up, so It'll be quick to re-take, but embarrassing.

guentergunter

Quote from: dd2020 on February 23, 2014, 07:14:26 AM
May I ask...
What's happen to this?
Look like ML on 5Dll cannot render  correct pixels when shooting at pattern things like buildings' windows or floors.
I used October 4th build and 32GB Sandisk CF Extreme Pro 1067X (up to 160MB/S read 150MB/S write)
Is this ML limitation of 5Dll ? or I have to change to other builds?
Or I have to upgrade to 5Dlll?

Today I will try new build, the October 24 th.

Thank you mates.

:)

Some additional info to what ted ramasola said  ;)

5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

reddeercity

Quote from: Kharak on February 23, 2014, 06:20:07 PM
MLV module failed me miserably yesterday.
Did a take of 2090 frames and the middle 600 frames are missing or corrupted. Too bad I didn't find out until I came home... doh!!
build 2014/02/04 (75649ffe291b) (dont ask me why I was still using this one)
Camera: 5D MK II-Modules: MLV_rec + snd-Resolution: 2:1 1872x936-Card: Lexar 128 gb 1000x-GD: ON-Buffer Method: 1
Extra hacks: ON
frame skipping: ((OFF))
Recorded 2090 frames and of which a chunck of some 600 frames is missing somewhere in the middle of the take.
When I play the mlv file in mlvrawviewer somewhere in the middle of the take it starts skipping frames and then 600 frames are black and then it continues playing again like normal. Tried MLVbrowsesharp and MLVconverter and both extract only 1394 frames.
Extra notes: I noticed while it was recording that it struggled to increase expected frames to "Continues OK", but when it got there it would at times drop down again to specific number of frames and then back again to continues. (if that helps)
Never experienced dropped frames with RAW_rec.
Luckily the set is still up, so It'll be quick to re-take, but embarrassing.
The Feb 4th built should have been Ok, I think unless you really need Global Draw=On, when recording I would leave it Off
and I would try buffer 0 , It seems to be the fastest at least by my tests.
I find 1872 with GD=On can sometimes be very unstable at times, I always leave GD Off to be stable in the large frame size.
1856x928 is my base default, as I use hdmi recorder for backup.  :)

Kharak

I've been over confident in MLV I guess.. Thought it would stop if it started skipping.

But regarding the jumping from Continues OK to specific amount of frames and back, its not like the expected frames was ever close to the actual recorded frames. The expected was up in the 8000 and I only recorded 2000.

For safety reasons, I'll be doing next take on oct 24 RAW.

silvertonesx24

I agree with you. I just can't find the perfect MLV build for professional work. It is both too finicky and removes features that I like, like the buffer status (but no huge graph) and recording start beep.

No worries though, raw in Oct 24th is great, only thing is the HDMI monitor crash bug but at least I know the workaround. I will be sticking with that one for a while I think.

reddeercity

Quote from: silvertonesx24 on February 25, 2014, 07:04:33 AM
I agree with you. I just can't find the perfect MLV build for professional work. It is both too finicky and removes features that I like, like the buffer status (but no huge graph) and recording start beep.

No worries though, raw in Oct 24th is great, only thing is the HDMI monitor crash bug but at least I know the workaround. I will be sticking with that one for a while I think.
Use feb 4th a.d. hack crop view mlv built + audio its very stable and still have the buffer status bar overlays, that the one I use for work.
no need to go back to oct24th built unless you need large frame size for long shots.
The Nightly has the buffer bar back in there for debugging in the mlv raw menu, but its still a nightly so
its not always totally functional or things are turn off. :)