5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djzigoh

Hi, is it there any build that allows MLV to record 1880?
Also...has anyone had problems using lower sample rates on mlv_snd?
I'm using audio just to sinc my track while editing .. So I don't need CD quality.. I need just a reference. But when I hit stop there's a red message sain something like the audio failed to stop or something .

Thanks!!

ted ramasola

Quote from: djzigoh on February 10, 2014, 11:38:24 PM
Hi, is it there any build that allows MLV to record 1880?
this has already been discontinued to conform all the ML builds with different camera models.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

loconetter

Thanks all for the help.  The viewfinder does take a little getting used too once you go to record.  I need to run some tests to see how long I can record in this mode, and if our weather straightens out, I can try this with my 70-200 lens outside.

Nelson

giacomari

hello everybody,

I made ​​a video to show the problem that my 5d2 shooting in crop mode 3x.
Explain this is not easy, and I also watched a little out there, but I did not find other people talking about this.
The build is in use is: 2014-01 14        2b804e8cdd3c
When filming at 24 fps in crop with FPS OVERRIDE in OFF, the lightview respects the correct exposure, but it can shoot only for a few seconds.
But when filming at 23.976, with EXACT FPS activated (ML), can shoot continuously, but the image in lightview is increased of 1 stop. And this is not only in the viewer, but also in the recording.

I do not know how to do. I also tried other builds, but with the same result.
A little help ... Thank you.

ted ramasola

Quote from: loconetter on February 11, 2014, 02:14:38 PM
Thanks all for the help.  The viewfinder does take a little getting used too once you go to record.

Nelson

What viewfinder you talking about? The viewfinder cannot be used once in movie mode, only the LCD screen is active.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: giacomari on February 11, 2014, 04:52:15 PM
hello everybody,

I made ​​a video to show the problem that my 5d2 shooting in crop mode 3x.
Explain this is not easy, and I also watched a little out there, but I did not find other people talking about this.
The build is in use is: 2014-01 14        2b804e8cdd3c
When filming at 24 fps in crop with FPS OVERRIDE in OFF, the lightview respects the correct exposure, but it can shoot only for a few seconds.
But when filming at 23.976, with EXACT FPS activated (ML), can shoot continuously, but the image in lightview is increased of 1 stop. And this is not only in the viewer, but also in the recording.

I do not know how to do. I also tried other builds, but with the same result.
A little help ... Thank you.

what other camera settings do you have?
is your camera on manual?
what other modules is loaded?
what is you ML settings?

etc etc.

Is your recording in 1x mode continuous? at what resolution?
I suggest you use global draw ON
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

mrd777

Can anyone tell me where to find info about getting around the 4gb file size limit on the Mark 2 during Raw?

reddeercity

Quote from: mrd777 on February 11, 2014, 07:38:15 PM
Can anyone tell me where to find info about getting around the 4gb file size limit on the Mark 2 during Raw?
Not possible , 5D2 runs a Fat32 system limited to 4GB that's it.

mrd777

Quote from: reddeercity on February 11, 2014, 07:47:37 PM
Not possible , 5D2 runs a Fat32 system limited to 4GB that's it.

Makes sense now, looking at the raw capabilities graph for the cameras. I guess the MARK 3 is the only one that can keep going. I'll have to find a way to upgrade!

loconetter

Ted. sorry, old photographer expression.  I am of course referring to the LCD screen in Liveview mode, and just called it a "viewfinder".  When I am in crop, I am seeing greyscale.  I left Global Draw on but used the setting which turns it off when you record.  At the time I start recording, not everything is greyscale.  Depends on whether I manually shutoff Global Draw, or elect to have Global Draw go off when I press Record.

If I turn off Global Draw, when I press record it is "filling" the LCD and is greyscale.  If I leave Global Draw on but set to go off when I press Record (Half Shutter for me), I see the same relative sized display as before pressing HS, but without the frame marks I see with Global Draw.  However, the center frame, which is within the cropmark guides area, turns an alternate color, not exactly pink but pink-like, not sure.

I am going to continue experimenting with settings to see what I can expect.

The RAW files always seem fine, and when I process using raw2dng, then Photoshop to convert DNGs to TIF, and finally Compressor 4.1 to create a Prores 422 Movie, the results are Great!

Nelson

ted ramasola

Quote from: loconetter on February 11, 2014, 08:03:21 PM
Ted. sorry, old photographer expression.  I am of course referring to the LCD screen in Liveview mode, and just called it a "viewfinder".  When I am in crop, I am seeing greyscale.  I left Global Draw on but used the setting which turns it off when you record.  At the time I start recording, not everything is greyscale.  Depends on whether I manually shutoff Global Draw, or elect to have Global Draw go off when I press Record.

If I turn off Global Draw, when I press record it is "filling" the LCD and is greyscale.  If I leave Global Draw on but set to go off when I press Record (Half Shutter for me), I see the same relative sized display as before pressing HS, but without the frame marks I see with Global Draw.  However, the center frame, which is within the cropmark guides area, turns an alternate color, not exactly pink but pink-like, not sure.

I am going to continue experimenting with settings to see what I can expect.

The RAW files always seem fine, and when I process using raw2dng, then Photoshop to convert DNGs to TIF, and finally Compressor 4.1 to create a Prores 422 Movie, the results are Great!

Nelson

To get "proper framing" I would leave GD on both in overlays menu and in Raw video menu. I would just do a HS press to check focus or color composition. I sometimes would need to press 10x to get focus since crop mode is less forgiving when focusing using wide lenses.

I your previous post You asked how long it can record. On my tests with MLV+sound, at 1728x972 16:9 or 1856 at 2.20:1 recording is continuous until cf is full.

Your workflow seems tedious using photoshop. I strongly suggest going MLV instead of raw_rec and using g3gg0's mlvbrowser sharp or tonybeccar's MLV converter to extract dngs. Then prossesing the initial grade using resolve which is free anyway. exporting to whatever for final edit.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

loconetter

I haven't gone back to testing MLV.  When I first read about it, and being a MAC computer user, I could not reliably get the MLV files converted.  Last week I tried searching and reading thru threads, but did not find a LINK to a version of the MLV browser/converted newer than the one I had, which didn't work.

Also, although that was an earlier ML, it would ALWAYs hang my camera requiring a battery removal to get back to normal.

Perhaps things are more stable in the 2/04 release I am using.

Thanks for taking so much time with me!

Nelson

giacomari

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 11, 2014, 06:57:01 PM
what other camera settings do you have?

--- There is no special setting, only those for the RAW REC. I also disabled MLV REC module.

is your camera on manual?

--- of course

what other modules is loaded?

--- YES, File Menager

what is you ML settings?

--- default ML settings.

etc etc.

Is your recording in 1x mode continuous? --- YES ---
at what resolution? --- 1872 x 850 or 1880 x 940 with 16-11-2013 build

I suggest you use global draw ON
--- I tried this, but records better without it

Thanks Ted for your help

ted ramasola

how about your stills setting. Long recordings are better with RAW-none JPEG-L or any.

Also what is your CF card specs?

I also highly recommend using the latest build in the nightly. That is Feb 10, 2014.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

giacomari

Quote from: ted ramasola on February 11, 2014, 08:55:14 PM
how about your stills setting. Long recordings are better with RAW-none JPEG-L or any.

Also what is your CF card specs?

I also highly recommend using the latest build in the nightly. That is Feb 10, 2014.

Thanks Ted,
I managed to solve the problem: I did "restore ML default" in "Config Files" menu, and everything is back working.
Sorry for my ignorance.

reddeercity

Quote from: loconetter on February 11, 2014, 08:03:21 PM
I process using raw2dng, then Photoshop to convert DNGs to TIF, and finally Compressor 4.1 to create a Prores 422 Movie, the results are Great!
Nelson
If you Convert your .raw files with RAWmagic on the Mac or raw2cdng on PC to get Cdngs (Cinema dng's) then you can import directly a image sequences
In to Compressor 4.1 or Motion 5.0 then export  prores4444 mov  . 

ted ramasola

Feb 11 nightly, when turning off the camera, sensor cleaning will not stop, have to turn on and off again to make it stop.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Noticed this too a while ago, can you find a way to reproduce consistently?

ted ramasola

yes, I think this behavior is only when installing this new update with default settings, after I made some menu changes, and made the off on off on routine, the following shutdowns are now normal.

edit: I think its still problematic even after initial changes. I'll study the behavior and see a pattern.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

I'm looking for a way to make all shutdowns abnormal, or at least say 20% of them (I need that to begin narrowing down).

If it shuts down abnormally once every 2 weeks... I can't diagnose it.

ted ramasola

this behavior was not present in the feb 10 nightly though.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

I've seen it last week (but I had some debug stuff enabled, not the configuration from main builds). Tried to reproduce, all subsequent shutdowns were OK (some were showing sensor cleaning, others didn't).

edit: start camera, canon menu, disable sensor cleaning, enable it back, shutdown. This seems to do the trick, can you check whether it triggers the bug every time?

ted ramasola

yes. And to confirm, in the canon menu when I disable then enable it again, I don't exit the menu after disable right? Its just selecting disable then immediately selecting enable again?

With that sequence, the sensor cleaning is stuck all the time.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

a1ex

Yep, I don't exit the menu. The point of this is to force a sensor cleaning at shutdown.

ted ramasola

With that sequence, the sensor cleaning is stuck all the time.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas