5D2 RAW video Builds 14-Bit

Started by a.d., May 20, 2013, 05:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyle4

Sorry about that, iv read that so many times too.

Whilst filming in RAW mode i noticed the camera's back screen looked strobed effect for a split second or two, Here is an example of what happned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm896oIzmws sorry its a laptop but couldnt find one on a DSLR.

i know for sure auto brightness was off and set to manual also. i would film it but to be honest im scared it may ruin my sensor if i chose too, its the only camera i have im afraid.

Iv also formatted the card too and lost footage/photo's im afraid also, in another post i said i had them if you needed them, sorry about that  :-\

togg

Anyone with komputerbays could say if the last release has stable speed?

teryoon

Is there any way at all to get around the 4gb limit thing?

https://vimeo.com/68473652

That's the only thing I've been able to find with how to deal with that on a Mac. Everything else I see is for Windows. Is this actually the best/only thing I can do?

EDIT: I tried the cat command the person mentioned in the comments so I guess that's a better way to do all of this.
www.vimeo.com/teryoon
www.twitter.com/teryoon
Check out my work!

hogarthhughes

Hi friends,

I've come upon a 5Dm2 and a 7D. I must sell one soon, but am tempted to see how the 7D raw turns out. Do you guys see the 7D surpassing the 5Dm2 possibly with it's dual processors and higher buff?

Ah I'm also torn because the 7D looks and feels so solid / modern!

PressureFM

Quote from: teryoon on August 29, 2013, 04:48:05 AM

That's the only thing I've been able to find with how to deal with that on a Mac. Everything else I see is for Windows. Is this actually the best/only thing I can do?

EDIT: I tried the cat command the person mentioned in the comments so I guess that's a better way to do all of this.

It's easy.

• Open Terminal
  • Write "cat"
  • Drag'n'drop the first Mxx-xxxx.RAW file onto Terminal
  • Drag'n'drop the next Mxx-xxxx.R00 file onto Terminal
  • Add all the other Mxx-xxxx.Rxx files into Terminal like above
  • Proceed to write ">"
  • Then write the destination file (I usually just drag'n'drop the first file ending in RAW and renaming it)
  • Push Enter and let the magic begin

Example:
cat /Volumes/Scratch\ Disk/RAW/M29-0830.RAW /Volumes/Scratch\ Disk/RAW/M29-0830.R00 > /Volumes/Scratch\ Disk/RAW/M29-FINI.RAW

ted ramasola

Quote from: togg on August 29, 2013, 02:38:11 AM
Anyone with komputerbays could say if the last release has stable speed?

Latest build aug 27 stable. Almost same speed as aug 16.

Tested with Komputerbay 64gig and 256gig.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Ethan_Reitz

re. speed drops on updates. I know it doesn't help to isolate problem modules but I had a massive speed drop when I updated to the Aug. 16 build. (komputerbay 64gb) I couldn't find any problem module or setting when systematically shutting them down. I then decided to format the card on my card reader and re-install ml. That worked fine and speed returned to what it had been with the previous build.

PressureFM

Goofing around with older builds, which I got faster write speeds with in normal 1x mode.

Tested several versions and went back to build 31302bbc6461 and for some reason I can't get continuous shooting in 3x mode now, as I used to. Stops recording as soon as it hits around 200 frames (running out of memory)?  :o

As an idiot I didn't save my earlier Magic Lantern installation ... so have to test them all now.

Update: Don't worry, I'm just an idiot. Forgot to enable FPS Override :P

Mati

teryoon

Quote from: PressureFM on August 29, 2013, 08:42:11 AM
It's easy.

• Open Terminal
  • Write "cat"
  • Drag'n'drop the first Mxx-xxxx.RAW file onto Terminal
  • Drag'n'drop the next Mxx-xxxx.R00 file onto Terminal
  • Add all the other Mxx-xxxx.Rxx files into Terminal like above
  • Proceed to write ">"
  • Then write the destination file (I usually just drag'n'drop the first file ending in RAW and renaming it)
  • Push Enter and let the magic begin

Example:
cat /Volumes/Scratch\ Disk/RAW/M29-0830.RAW /Volumes/Scratch\ Disk/RAW/M29-0830.R00 > /Volumes/Scratch\ Disk/RAW/M29-FINI.RAW

Wow thank you so much! I had no idea you could just drag and drop the files like that hahaha. You're a life saver.
www.vimeo.com/teryoon
www.twitter.com/teryoon
Check out my work!

mvejerslev

It would be so helpful if a dev could set an override on all the small hacks when RAW video is enabled and youre in live view, then revert back to whatever was set before when you switch out of live view. Reason is, I'm a still photographer, and there's so many hacks and settings to set before RAW video (to enable large enough buffer and consistent fps), and these are easy to forget and easy to forget to revert when shooting stills. Its bothersome and dangerous. Something like a Custom Setting would work.
5D Mark II, PC

guentergunter

Quote from: teryoon on August 29, 2013, 04:48:05 AM

It's even easier:
RAWMagic
This programm creates dng files directly from spanned files. So, you don't need to 'cat' them first!
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

teryoon

Quote from: guentergunter on August 29, 2013, 07:39:01 PM
It's even easier:
RAWMagic
This programm creates dng files directly from spanned files. So, you don't need to 'cat' them first!

I don't have anything to test with right now since I'm not at home, but do I just drag the .RAW and .R00 file into the program or just the .RAW file? I actually use RAWMagic, I just had no idea it was capable of doing that.
www.vimeo.com/teryoon
www.twitter.com/teryoon
Check out my work!

guentergunter

Quote from: teryoon on August 29, 2013, 09:17:30 PM
I don't have anything to test with right now since I'm not at home, but do I just drag the .RAW and .R00 file into the program or just the .RAW file? I actually use RAWMagic, I just had no idea it was capable of doing that.
Due to Apple's sandbox system you need to drag all the files. But then it'll work seamlessly  ;)
5D2 ML RAW + VAF-5D2b: http://vimeo.com/69350650

pysznie

Last Built 8cf76a551872

Thank You For DSLR arkanoid i was laughing to tears.

You made my day

I love you People !

JulianH

Hey guys, I'm joining the 5D Mark II raw club :) Have been shooting with a 50D for a while but got a nice deal on a 5D II.

Installed the latest build yesterday, with my Komputerbay 64GB card i'm getting about 75Mb/s. I rarely record very long takes so 1880 or 1872 in 16:9 is quite usuable, which is nice!
Planning to use it for anamorphic at 1600x1250 as well. Will share some stuff soon!

Would love to see more real world examples of the VAF 5D2b in action on raw (preferably downloadable 1080p files). The aliasing is the only thing I don't like about the 5D2 raw...

Africashot

Quote from: JulianH on August 30, 2013, 10:50:45 AM
Hey guys, I'm joining the 5D Mark II raw club :) Have been shooting with a 50D for a while but got a nice deal on a 5D II.

Installed the latest build yesterday, with my Komputerbay 64GB card i'm getting about 75Mb/s. I rarely record very long takes so 1880 or 1872 in 16:9 is quite usuable, which is nice!
Planning to use it for anamorphic at 1600x1250 as well. Will share some stuff soon!

Would love to see more real world examples of the VAF 5D2b in action on raw (preferably downloadable 1080p files). The aliasing is the only thing I don't like about the 5D2 raw...
Welcome to the club! You made me curious, what Anamorphic do you have / plan to get? Anamorphics have been bugging me for a long time, RAW seems ideal to harvest their full potential... but as you have pointed out a mosaic engineering filter should be the first investment!
ML 5D2 & T3i

JulianH

Quote from: Africashot on August 30, 2013, 11:11:57 AM
Welcome to the club! You made me curious, what Anamorphic do you have / plan to get? Anamorphics have been bugging me for a long time, RAW seems ideal to harvest their full potential... but as you have pointed out a mosaic engineering filter should be the first investment!
I have too many anamorphics actually... ;) Kowa B&H (2x), ISCO Optic Ultrastar (2x), super small Petit Cinevision (1.5x), Iscomorphot 8/2x.
I have been using them with my Panasonic GH2 mostly. You can check my video's on Vimeo.

Here's a video I shot with the Kowa B&H on the 50D in 4:3 raw:

And a clip I shot 3 months ago with the Kowa B&H on a borrowed 5D II:

a1ex

I've ran some speed tests and indeed, there was a roughly 2% speed drop from CONFIG_TSKMON.

But to say it was 50%?! That's trolling :D

Africashot

Quote from: JulianH on August 30, 2013, 12:20:21 PM
I have too many anamorphics actually... ;) Kowa B&H (2x), ISCO Optic Ultrastar (2x), super small Petit Cinevision (1.5x), Iscomorphot 8/2x.
I have been using them with my Panasonic GH2 mostly. You can check my video's on Vimeo.

Here's a video I shot with the Kowa B&H on the 50D in 4:3 raw:
And a clip I shot 3 months ago with the Kowa B&H on a borrowed 5D II:

Thanks for posting! I wish I could say the same one day; having too many anamorphics I mean! Loved seeing the 50D perform here, off-topic: the location of that video; is it Arnhem?
Thanks again!
ML 5D2 & T3i

JulianH

It's Den Haag! Even though I have quite a few anamorphics, I'm still looking for other ones...  ::) Would love to have an Iscorama but prices have gone trough the roof. The days of the bargains are over or you have to be incredibly lucky. Not planning on keeping all the lenses I have either. After switching camera's the past few months I'm planning to settle down with the 5D2.

Spring Pictures

Hi guys,

Sorry to just come flying in here with questions I'm sure have been answered.

What's the longest recording time on 5d2?
What's the largest reliable resolution (is it 1880x1080)?
How did you all overcome the 4GB FAT file size limit?
I plan to use raw video in the field, how dangerous are these nightly builds in your opinion?
And realistically is my camera in danger, or really just my cards?

I'm on the verge of purchasing two 64GB Lexar 1000x cf cards for my 5d2 but am finding it hard to commit to this.  Any help would be incredible!
Thanks
Dylan

Clemens

I did my first video completly with RAW Workflow on my 5D2.
It's a promo video for the company i'm working for. I'm not a pro... just a screen designer with some ambitions in video. Hope you like it.

bnvm

@Spring Pictures

QuoteWhat's the longest recording time on 5d2?

That is totally dependent on your settings and card size, but maxed out(75 MB/s) continuous recording on a 64GB card would be around  15 minutes I believe. If the max data rate is 73-75 MB/s so you can do the math, also lower resolutions have lower data rates and longer record times.

QuoteWhat's the largest reliable resolution (is it 1880x1080)?

Yes I believe some with KomputerBay cards have had near continuous at this resolution, for me my highest continuous resolution on my 1000x promaster card is 1880x940.

QuoteHow did you all overcome the 4GB FAT file size limit?

ML automatically splits to a new file once the limit is reached with no frame loss, the files are then recombined on a computer so the 4GB limit is no longer a factor.

QuoteI plan to use raw video in the field, how dangerous are these nightly builds in your opinion?

It is Alpha software and there is always a chance for bugs, however it has been very reliable for me I have not had any issues since May its has been pretty rock solid for me. But as an example, one of the latest builds caused massive speed loss on some cameras until the memory card was formatted and ML re-installed. No big deal but could be a big problem if it was discovered out in the field. I would recommend testing any new build before use.

QuoteAnd realistically is my camera in danger, or really just my cards?

Yes your camera could be damaged, although I have no fear or reservations about using ML and if it were to destroy my camera I couldn't afford to get a new one. At the heart of ML is a firmware update that enables the camera to boot software from the card. Any time you update the firmware on any device you risk bricking it, ML is no exception. There are other risks as well such as software causing the camera to lockup and overheat or some new feature pushing the sensor to hard and frying it. That said I use it and I have installed and used it on my company camera as well. Also the Dev's here are awesome and they really want to give us something that is safe and reliable, they are very carefully and strict about restricting new developments that could damage a camera and stuff generally doesn't get into a nightly build until it is fairly refined.

All I can say is. I have ML installed and I use raw video in the field, what you decided will be up to you.

Spring Pictures

Wow @bnvm what a fantastic reply! Thank you so much.