6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

I don't own any cards < 32gb... but its been a whiiiiile. I think the problem starts at 64gb cards.

JusT92

will the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 32GB Speicherkarte 95Mbps get the max. ~50mb out of my 6D while recording video ?

iam looking forward to buy an fast card for raw .. 32GB or bigger

1%

I don't think anyone has gotten that high with any sd card. Most I've seen is 42 or 43 and it wasn't steady.

TWeistar

Just did an ML update (I Think) on my 6D. based on this recent tutorial on YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvK_imr-C7M

Maybe I didn't get the older version uninstalled?

I had what I think was an earlier version running on my 6D. So I want to verify that I updated. My menu on my 6D now reads Firmware ver. 1.1.3. no mention of ML like on my 60D the menu reads Firmware ver.1.1.1-ml-v2.3

Also it is behaving the same as far as I can tell. No audio gain controls in the ML menu. Unless I change from "Normal" to "Separate WAV" in the menu.

On my 60D I have digital and analog gain controls for audio levels and I can monitor with head phones using a modified AV cable. Do you have either of these features on your 6D now?

I have been waiting and  hoping for this for a long time so I really appreciate you help here.

Thank you very much

Kapuhy

TWeistar, make sure you have the Sound recording enabled from Canon menu. It works good for me - that youtube video is based on the instructions found in this forum.

Marsu42

Quote from: JusT92 on January 20, 2014, 10:49:41 PM
will the SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC 32GB Speicherkarte 95Mbps get the max. ~50mb out of my 6D while recording video ?

With the 6d, think "40mb/s max.".

Kapuhy

I have one question though - do those magiclantern-tragic builds for 6D carry a version indication someplace that can be displayed from the menu?  Or is it only date on the autoexec.bin file that differentiates them (except for some code changes I suppose).

l_d_allan

Quote from: Kapuhy on January 23, 2014, 02:29:19 PM
I have one question though - do those magiclantern-tragic builds for 6D carry a version indication someplace that can be displayed from the menu?  Or is it only date on the autoexec.bin file that differentiates them (except for some code changes I suppose).

Agree.

I miss having the message appear showing which version is installed. This seems to be the standard on other ML supported cameras. Usually, it appears once, which is sufficient to confirm that the installation went ok. IIRC, you can check at the Debug Menu to confirm which version is install, at least on cameras other than the 6d.

TWeistar

Quote from: Kapuhy on January 23, 2014, 10:49:05 AM
TWeistar, make sure you have the Sound recording enabled from Canon menu. It works good for me - that youtube video is based on the instructions found in this forum.
Yes it works if I do that but there are no gain controls with ML. Are you able to adjust audio gain through the ML menu?

1%

ML nightly - no audio controls
TL - audio controls

Kapuhy

RTLdan

Hi Everyone,
Just wanted to start by saying thanks for such an amazing job. Magic Lantern is the best, and so are the people who make it happen!
Now, I haven't read every single page in all the ML RAW threads, so sorry if this has been addressed before.
I've been experimenting with the use of MLV_REC on my 6D (TL Jan18th Build) tonight, and had three questions/issues.

1. When I select the 6D's max continuous framerate for RAW, we are not using the full 1920 x 1080 resolution, and so magic lantern shows us a little crop box of the resolution the RAW video will be recorded at. This is great. However, when I actually hit record, the box disappears and I'm looking at a full 1920 crop again, which is not easy to work with. It would be great if we were able to keep that box so we can make sure our framing is ok. As of now I've just been guessing. Global draw is not off on my camera either. (I've got the waveform monitor on.) So am I missing something, or is this the state of things? And if it is the state of things, do the devs foresee a fix this as something that is possible?

2. I tried out the MLV Sound recording while shooting raw. Everything worked fine for my short clips at 44.1.
The only thing weird thing that happened is that they would not play on the computer through quicktime or VLC. I do audio work, so I loaded it up into my DAW and it played just fine. So the actual audio is in the file, but for some reason something isn't communicating with the computer's basic audio players.

3. Finally, I'm sure this has been asked for and talked about a lot, but I'll throw my opinion in too...
It would be great if there was a way in the future to play back both the MLV video AND audio in camera. Because of the experimental nature of some of this stuff, it would be immensely helpful to be able to make sure the info is there before moving on to another shot. It would be heartbreaking to find audio didn't record on one of the files.

Thanks again for everything you do and have done!
I hope my observations can help with future development!

-Daniel Rheaume
Portland, Oregon

dallasill0

The link at the beggining is Tragic lantern, or Magic lantern?
http://ge.tt/api/1/files/14cvNmp/0/blob?download

Anybody try the last of TL?
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

Is It better install the first or the last???  The most important think for me is the ETTR + Deflicker to Timelapses...

But in the version that I have (October) Doesn't appear in ETTR, the Midtone SNR and Shadow SNR options...

Virindi

Is there any way to know what is new in the latest versions...?
I think I have the one from november 30 installed.  :o

1%

D6-2035

Amazing work! Managed to install without any problems. :)

johnmac1952

Just wanted to say thanks to noiseboy and 1% for their work on the Tragic Lantern for the 6D.
I was using ML on my Canon 550D and since have gotten a Canon 6D. I am so happy that ML/ TL is available
for my new camera. Once again..... thank you all very much!!!!

:)

Xavierus

Hello guys! First, thank you all for your work, magic lantern is superb! I was using it on my old Canon 550d and I was VERY happy with it.

Now I bought a new Canon 6d and want to try it out with ML and I have a question. I heard that there is some drawbacks when using ML on Canon 5d mark 3 and some of them can't be undone. Something about increased boot time or so. So I wonder if I will try ML on my Canon 6d and then for some reasons will want to remove it completely (for example to trade it for Canon 5d mark 3), can ML removal be done completely and without drawbacks on Canon 6d ?

Thank you!

D6-2035

Hi. I've installed ML on my 6D a couple times and completely removed it again (incl. the bootflag).
You do that when the ML successful installed green text screen shows in M-mode dial. You simply rotate the mode dial to B for example, the text turns white and you read the message: "Bootflag successfully removed". Then you restart the camera, clear all camera and custom settings and format the SD card, done.

ML can be removed and there is absolutely no impact on the start-up time with or without bootflag on the 6D.

Initially I thought that the battery usage with ML went up a lot more than ~5% and I think that may be the case. Focus peaking and magic zoom are so nice that's why I can easily live with that.

I'm using 2 SD cards. One for normal shooting (no ML) and one SD card when I want to take videos (ML installed on that card).
Wish the recording time would be displayed in much larger text.

Marsu42

Quote from: D6-2035 on January 31, 2014, 07:12:57 PMML can be removed and there is absolutely no impact on the start-up time with or without bootflag on the 6D.

That's certainly an interesting piece of information concerning the fud about ml & the bootflag, thanks!

D6-2035

I checked again, bootflag adds maybe 0.5s to the start-up time, not noticeable to me and it can be removed it you chose to do so.
After a bit of a learning curve I love ML. Nice to be able to configure/save the settings and copy over to other SD cards. Great work!

mmarley

Hi
i ve got a 6D
everything works untill step 11-- then if i open the EOScard.exe  and ty to save it tells me its a zip file and it fails
if i continue untill step 15 nothing happens if i press the trash button---
tried it twice and didnt get the lantern  :-[

PLEASE HELP !!!
Canon 6D     EF 24-105      EF 50 1.8II

D6-2035

I'd follow this, worked 100% for me and is easy.

Published on Jan 17, 2014
A short tutorial on how to install the latest ALPHA version of magic lantern on your Canon EOS 6D DSLR camera. NOTE: This is a dev version and I cannot guarantee the safety of your gear, you have been warned. With that said, I have not experienced any problems with it so far so enjoy the install tutorial!

Download .RAR file: http://bit.ly/1auplFt

1. Download and extract .rar file.
2. Check if 6D is running 1.1.2 firmware.
3. Put "Canon 1.1.2 Firmware" .fir file on SD card and install it on 6D. Format SD card on computer.
4. Put "Files to run Magic Lantern on 6D Firmware 1.1.2" three files on SD card root directory.
5. Install ML 1.1.2 on 6D (in "M" dial mode). Turn off and pull batteries out and format SD card on computer (VERY IMPORTANT).
6. Put "Canon 1.1.3 Firmware" .fir file on SD card and install it on 6D. Turn off 6D, take out 7. SD card and put it into computer.
7. Run "EOScard.exe" program on PC. Check off "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK". Press save.
8. On computer erase all files on SD card.
9. Put "Files to run Magic Lantern of 6D Firmware 1.1.3" three files on SD card root directory.
10. Put SD card back into 6D and turn it on. Press the trash can button. Magic Lantern is now installed!

Shot and edited by Kraig Adams of www.kadamsmedia.com and www.wedfilmschool.com.

Kwarts

Thank you very much for this very helpful video. The ML website is rather technical and your video shows its not really difficult to install the ML software on a 6D.
Unfortunately making a bootable SD card with Fusion or Parallel running on a newer Mac doesn't work. Below is the text from VMware Fusion support site:

Internal SD card reader is not detected by Fusion (1035825)
This issue occurs on Macs with an SDXC (SD extended capacity) card slot and not on Macs with an SD card slot.

This issue occurs because the SDXC card slot included in newer Mac models is connected to the Mac using the PCIe bus and not using the USB bus that the original SD card slot uses. Therefore, the SDXC card slot cannot be connected to a virtual machine as a USB device.

A solution not mentioned by VMware is to connect a card reader to the USB port or ask a friend to do it for you on a Windows machine. :)

D6-2035

Quote from: Kwarts on February 05, 2014, 01:56:41 PM
Thank you very much for this very helpful video. The ML website is rather technical and your video shows its not really difficult to install the ML software on a 6D.
Unfortunately making a bootable SD card with Fusion or Parallel running on a newer Mac doesn't work. Below is the text from VMware Fusion support site:

Internal SD card reader is not detected by Fusion (1035825)
This issue occurs on Macs with an SDXC (SD extended capacity) card slot and not on Macs with an SD card slot.

This issue occurs because the SDXC card slot included in newer Mac models is connected to the Mac using the PCIe bus and not using the USB bus that the original SD card slot uses. Therefore, the SDXC card slot cannot be connected to a virtual machine as a USB device.

A solution not mentioned by VMware is to connect a card reader to the USB port or ask a friend to do it for you on a Windows machine. :)

I guess that's the one time only where you wish you had a Wintel computer :-)
Hope you get it to work.