6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levas

Did anyone here some testing with their 6d and the MLV-rec module and the new sound module ?

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.1025

I'm using the tragic lantern build from 30 November and the new MLV-rec and sound build from the topic above.

The first clip after switching the camera on has sound recorded along with the raw clip. Every clip after it doesn't have sound and shows the error message "sound failed to stop, state 4".

l_d_allan

Quote from: noisyboy on May 20, 2013, 04:07:52 PM
6: From the zip in step 1, extract all the files contained within "Files to run Magic Lantern on 6D Firmware 1.1.2" folder and copy them to the route directory of your card.

I'm unclear what you mean by "route directory" ... I infer this is "root"?

Quote11: From the zip in step 1, once again extract and run EOScard.exe. Check the EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK boxes and press save.

Should EOScard.exe be run twice? If so, at what step is the first time to run it?

When I ran EOScard.exe 1.32 with a 32GB SD card, it seems to hang / freeze for 5+ minutes with message:
"Checking latest ML ..."

It wouldn't close, and I had to use Window's TaskManager and "End Process Tree" to close the window.

Another ML thread related to the 7d mentioned EOScard.exe ver. 1.40, but I wasn't able to find a valid download link.

hoglis

I just installed ML on my 6D (with firmware downgrade to 112 and re-upgrade) and the installation worked fine!

Thank you 1% (and all the others) for the port. Thank you Noisyboy for the "noob guide" dude.

Razor

I'm experiencing some problems with EOScard, it's getting stuck looking for the latest version of ML. I recently upgraded to Windows 8.1, so I don't know if that might be causing some trouble. Does anyone know how to work around this? Simply copying the ML files to my card doesn't seemt to work

Sin City Stan

Thanks to all that participated in this thread.  I tried to install ML on my 6D back in November and gave up after a dozen tries.  I decided to try again this morning and it took 10-15 minutes and I was up and running.  I think the mistake I kept making in November was using Firmware 000212 instead of 212 but nonetheless I'm happy to have ML back.  The first thing I noticed was that the Advanced Bracketing function does not work properly.  It should have taken 7 pics from -EV4 to +EV4.  I got 10 pictures with the same exposure.  Not a big deal at this time as Canon has provided almost the same range.  Just thought someone should know.  Testing the invalometer next.  Then some video.

Just noticed that the Sticky DOF button does not work either.

Thanks again.

bhushangahire

Quote from: hoglis on December 30, 2013, 03:10:26 PM
I just installed ML on my 6D (with firmware downgrade to 112 and re-upgrade) and the installation worked fine!

Thank you 1% (and all the others) for the port. Thank you Noisyboy for the "noob guide" dude.

I also followed the same but not working for me. Anything I am missing?

ilguercio

Quote from: bhushangahire on January 07, 2014, 07:22:37 PM
Well, i guess you are missing some steps.
That guide is the one everybody followed so it definitely works.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

bhushangahire

Quote from: ilguercio on January 08, 2014, 12:37:47 AM
Well, i guess you are missing some steps.
That guide is the one everybody followed so it definitely works.

Trust me buddy I followed all the steps. I get success screen for setting bootflag after downgrading 112. But nothing happens when I upgrade to 113 and replaces files with 113 folder.

Mpist

Hi,
I want know only if when you write "format your card" is (mac user) format with the disk utility ---> format the card ---> FAT32
Can I delete the folder DCIM and MISC by card?
Thanks

electrichobo

What is our highest resolution capable continuous right now? (in raw)

bhushangahire

Quote from: bhushangahire on January 08, 2014, 02:13:21 AM
Trust me buddy I followed all the steps. I get success screen for setting bootflag after downgrading 112. But nothing happens when I upgrade to 113 and replaces files with 113 folder.

I got it working now. Those who are facing issue make sure you use 16 GB card. I got it working with 16GB and later its working on 32GB card as well.

CINETIK

i seem to have the same issue. it works on 1.1.2 but it does not contain the "Module" section for RAW recording so as instructed I then i proceed to upgrade the firmware to 1.1.3 and follow the steps to upload the ML items that should work on that version however, it results in a frozen camera. I'm actually ok with 1.1.2 considering the cool features it adds for video recording, but not being able to record RAW it upsets me heaps and I continue trying back and forth with no different outcome. 

Mpist

How soon do you think will come out a version Nightly Build?

a1ex

When there will be a developer willing to maintain this port.

Mpist

Many people are switching to 6d and I also understand that they obviously had to think about relaise more important as the 5D2/3... but I think it's time for a 6d official relaise. I hope...

l_d_allan

Quote from: a1ex on January 10, 2014, 04:23:56 PM
When there will be a developer willing to maintain this port.

It's tempting to get involved with the 6d port. I did C and C++ development for 20+ years, but I'm really rusty.

FWIW: much was low level, real-time embedded medical devices, where a "bricked patient" was frowned on.

I suppose a primary goal would be to "un-fork" the 6d port ... so it is a "first class citizen" of ML?

l_d_allan

Quote from: bhushangahire on January 07, 2014, 07:22:37 PM

I did get the 6d Nov. 30, 2013 build installed and working. Whew.

However, it was a rather "lumpy", trial-and-error procedure. Two steps forward, and one step back.

IIRC, it took several attempts after getting firmware 1.1.3 down-graded  to 1.1.2.  I don't recall the exact steps that finally resulted in TL being operational ... I was pretty much just trying something, and hoping for the best, and that the 6d wouldn't brick. Very nerve wracking.

My speculation is that glitches with EosCard.exe 1.3.2 were some or most of the problem? Operator error?

It was not a procedure I look forward to doing again.  YMMV.

a1ex

Quote from: l_d_allan on January 11, 2014, 06:56:34 PM
I suppose a primary goal would be to "un-fork" the 6d port ... so it is a "first class citizen" of ML?

Yes. The code from the main repository should work fine, but it's very likely a bit behind TL. The 50D, 7D and EOS M are in the same situation, but they seem progressing.

1%

All the code is already up so one just has to copy it back into ML and leave out the bits you don't like. Probably the main things behind are anything left over from 112 and audio functions. Just have to diff the platform folder and main files like shoot.c, etc.

l_d_allan

Quote from: Sin City Stan on January 01, 2014, 09:19:22 PM
The first thing I noticed was that the Advanced Bracketing function does not work properly.  It should have taken 7 pics from -EV4 to +EV4.

If you were doing +1 EV change, than it would seem like 9 exposures would happen. With +2, it would have been 5 exposures. Were you using +1.3 EV or +1.5 EV or +1.6 EV as the "bracket delta change between exposures"?

QuoteI got 10 pictures with the same exposure.  Not a big deal at this time as Canon has provided almost the same range.  Just thought someone should know. 

I've used Advanced Bracketing some, and also recall that it was glitchy ... just kept going. The work-around seemed to be giving a fixed change of +2 EV and a fixed number of brackets ... usually 3.

QuoteTesting the invalometer next.

My experience has been that the 6d implementation seems different than the 5d2 and 600d implementation. Changing "modes" ... like Manual to AV ... for Bulb to Manual ...  is supposed to turn the intervalometer OFF, but the 6d seems to just keep going in the new mode. I have to turn the camera OFF to get the Intervalometer to stop. Maybe that is "as expected"? Or operator error?

1%

Menu is supposed to stop the intervalometer. I'll check behavior vs 7D but only thing added was a patch to name the brackets B01, etc and that is the same for all cameras. Some of these things are bugs in general for both ML/TL. And I have the same problem where nobody mentions it and works the way I use it then some extra case comes up and stuff happens.

l_d_allan

Quote from: 1% on January 11, 2014, 08:20:25 PM
I'll check behavior ... and stuff happens.

I do want to mention that I am Extremely Appreciative that there is a port for the 6d. Thanks for the time and effort ... and impressive talent that you (1% and others) have put into it.

My use of the intervalometer is often with Bulb, when doing StarTrails. With the 5d2 and 600d, my recollection is that changing from M to AV stopped the intervalometer, but perhaps my memory is faulty, or that changed.

BTW:
My other "use case" for the intervalometer is stage performances. Up in a "crow's nest", I'll have the 5d2 with 14mm or 35mm taking a picture every minute or so, to get an overall shot of the different "acts" going on during the 70 to 90+ minutes. I'll have the 200mm on the cropped 600d taking zoomed-in shots for duets and soloists.
http://berean.zenfolio.com/bpm_worship_sampler/h5fb45182#h5fb45182

1%

Well both 7D and 6D stop the intervalometer if you change modes but they don't turn it off. So if you go into the menu again it will start again.

Mpist

Sorry, I have 4 question urgent:
First, so it's official that you have to use 16gb card to install TL?
second, to use more card with TL I just have to copy the files in all card or perform the operation with the macboot on all cards?
All my cards are 32 gb can I use them? or I need to shop one 16gb card to install TL??
It' possible use a TL with 112 framework and how problem i have??
I'm not very interested to shooting in RAW (I can survive without it) but more to the various essential functions such as cropmarks and recording continuous...

P.S. You have not answered the question "format card procedure"...
I'm waiting on my TL before installing 6d me be clear that all the steps and your feedback ... so as not to make mistakes.
Thanks

l_d_allan

Quote from: Mpist on January 12, 2014, 01:07:10 PM
First, so it's official that you have to use 16gb card to install TL?

My understanding is that cards less than 16gb (like 8gb and 4 gb , etc) will work ... so it isn't "just" 16gb.