6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dereyes

First of all thanks a million for these nicely put instructions on how to install ML.
I have a couple questions,
1. I can't find "Raw video" on my "Movie Settings"
2. Do I have to use the SD card every time I want to film with ML? (when I remove the card and put in another card ML is not available.

ryan326

I tried a different preview mode. There were only 2 that didn't cause the liveview to freeze the image. I used the Canon preview. Altough, the lines were still going all across the liveview. I converted the Raw2Dng and opened it in after effects. The lines are all over my images.

Could someone please help me with this?

Also, what is the best SD card to use on the 6D? I am using the 45/mb SDHC 32gb. Should I get something faster so that I can shoot with higher resolution or would a faster card be unnecessary?

Thank you,
Ryan

1%

You have to put it on each card you use, its only like 1MB.

above:
I think you turned dual ISO on

ryan326

I did have it on. I turned it off and now the lines are gone.  Although, the hacked, grey scale, and other preview modes still freeze the image while shooting video.
Thank you! I did not know I was suppose to turn it off... I don't understand anything about Raw or ML. Is there a Forum you can recommened me to so that I can shoot the best quality video the 6D can produce? Something that will explain all this RAW stuff and tell me which settings I should turn on/off and why?

And do you recommend getting a faster sd card or is the 6d cap out at 40mb as I read earlier?

Thank you,
Ryan

Stijn

@Noisyboy, I'm a newbie on here so apologies up front for any ignorant questions.

I'm going to attempt to install Ml on my 6d. I have a few questions on your installation procedure on page 1.

Step 5. Format in camera or in cardreader, if so what file system?

Step 7. The Canon manual says to put the camera in the "P" mode, you write to put the camera in "M" mode but follow the manual as well, what mode do I use?

Step 8.5, what filesystem do I chose? Is it required to run EOSCARD afterwards as part of the format process? I think the standard ML procedure lists to format the card in camera. Hence I'm confused here.

Thanks,

egorn

Hello everyone and specisl thanks to guys, who are porting ML to 6D!
What is best result of recording raw video on Canon 6D? Not only continuos but even one minute long?

PS I VERY LOVE YOU GUYS :-*

kaktus

Quote from: egorn on September 23, 2013, 05:22:29 PM
Hello everyone and specisl thanks to guys, who are porting ML to 6D!
What is best result of recording raw video on Canon 6D? Not only continuos but even one minute long?

PS I VERY LOVE YOU GUYS :-*
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6121.msg77973#new reply#39 and #40 (don't know how to link to a specific post, sorry :) )

CameraMike

Quote from: ryan326 on September 23, 2013, 06:01:17 AM
I tried a different preview mode. There were only 2 that didn't cause the liveview to freeze the image. I used the Canon preview. Altough, the lines were still going all across the liveview. I converted the Raw2Dng and opened it in after effects. The lines are all over my images.

Thank you,
Ryan

if your seeing the lines during playback on computer it might be same issue I had... turn off dual ISO shooting.

brunelo

Hi everyone. I dont know how this works very well, so I send you a message directly, I hope you dont mind. I am trying to put ML into my 6D in order to shoot raw video. Well, I install it and when I choose raw video mode and press record button, it happens that the camera turns crazy or something, and then the image on the screen freezes and I get this message. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17520427/IMG_5356.JPG First time I had this problem it said something like "this is a bug, report it". So, as you see, I cant shoot it well, it skips frames and you can see how the image is like stripped or something, not clean as it should be. I followed perfectly your installation tutorial, I dont know what did I wrong  :-[ Is it possible that my sandisk sd (Ultra, 30mb/s) is too slow for raw-shooting? Will I fix it with a better one?  What can I do?
Sorry for my bad English, Im spanish so English is not my natural language.
Thanks a lot for your help and thanks noisyboy for the tutorial, hope you're all doing great!

1%

a432511

Just pulled the latest nightly. I am able to shoot continuous RAW video at 1280x720 (16:9) WITH Canon live preview on. AMAZING! Thanks for the great dev efforts. I took the time to get a Bitcoin account and donate; I suggest everyone here do the same.

I am using the following SD Card: SanDisk Extreme Pro 32 GB SDHC Class 10 UHS-1

Thanks again.

a432511

Quote from: brunelo on September 26, 2013, 02:55:23 AM
Hi everyone. I dont know how this works very well, so I send you a message directly, I hope you dont mind. I am trying to put ML into my 6D in order to shoot raw video. Well, I install it and when I choose raw video mode and press record button, it happens that the camera turns crazy or something, and then the image on the screen freezes and I get this message. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/17520427/IMG_5356.JPG First time I had this problem it said something like "this is a bug, report it". So, as you see, I cant shoot it well, it skips frames and you can see how the image is like stripped or something, not clean as it should be. I followed perfectly your installation tutorial, I dont know what did I wrong  :-[ Is it possible that my sandisk sd (Ultra, 30mb/s) is too slow for raw-shooting? Will I fix it with a better one?  What can I do?
Sorry for my bad English, Im spanish so English is not my natural language.
Thanks a lot for your help and thanks noisyboy for the tutorial, hope you're all doing great!

Looks like you have Dual ISO or HDR video mode on... Can't remember which one. But the description says something about alternating exposure every other line. Just disable that setting. In fact, disable everything except the RAW video module. Enable modules as you need them. Saves memory.

yacenty

Hi guys,
two questions
1. what are the benefits of raw video?
2. is it somehow possible to have autofocus during video recording.
I'm talking about 6D camera

Thanks in advance
Br
YacentY

painya

Quote from: yacenty on September 26, 2013, 10:33:19 PM
Hi guys,
two questions
1. what are the benefits of raw video?
2. is it somehow possible to have autofocus during video recording.
I'm talking about 6D camera

Thanks in advance
Br
YacentY
I'm sorry, it looks like there is no possible continuous autofocus while video recording.
And as for the RAW shooting here is a comparison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-UJ6kRwt8
With RAW video there is more dynamic range, and there is a lot more latitude for correcting the image in post. However the workflow has a bit of a learning curve and the file sizes are huge.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

noisyboy

Quote from: Stijn on September 23, 2013, 02:38:52 PM
@Noisyboy, I'm a newbie on here so apologies up front for any ignorant questions.

I'm going to attempt to install Ml on my 6d. I have a few questions on your installation procedure on page 1.

Step 5. Format in camera or in cardreader, if so what file system?

Step 7. The Canon manual says to put the camera in the "P" mode, you write to put the camera in "M" mode but follow the manual as well, what mode do I use?

Step 8.5, what filesystem do I chose? Is it required to run EOSCARD afterwards as part of the format process? I think the standard ML procedure lists to format the card in camera. Hence I'm confused here.

Thanks,

Use exfat and use M mode bud :) Oh and also format on your computer. If you have ML installed and you format in camera you don't get rid of the ML files on your card. When you are all up and running and you want to just clear vids/photo's etc off your card without losing ML then formatting in camera is fine. For the purposes of the install just format on your PC. Cheers.

yacenty

Quote from: painya on September 27, 2013, 04:24:44 AM
I'm sorry, it looks like there is no possible continuous autofocus while video recording.
And as for the RAW shooting here is a comparison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xu-UJ6kRwt8
With RAW video there is more dynamic range, and there is a lot more latitude for correcting the image in post. However the workflow has a bit of a learning curve and the file sizes are huge.
is it worth to do raw videos for YT?
any work arounds for autofocus during video? I've heard that face recognition gives better results but do not yet how to enable it.
Sorry but I have 6d only for 2 weeks now

1%

I personally wouldn't af while recording. It will mess up expo at the least and you'll have all of the frames of it hunting.

painya

Quote from: yacenty on September 27, 2013, 11:20:37 PM
is it worth to do raw videos for YT?
any work arounds for autofocus during video? I've heard that face recognition gives better results but do not yet how to enable it.
Sorry but I have 6d only for 2 weeks now
It depends what you are shooting. If it is landscape and it is very important for it to look the best possible I'd say yes. But if it is mostly as a hobby I'd learn how to color correct very well.

yacenty

do we really need to downgrade 6d firmware to 1.1.2 and then install ML and once more upgrade to the 1.1.3

Marsu42

Quote from: yacenty on September 29, 2013, 09:00:49 PM
do we really need to downgrade 6d firmware to 1.1.2 and then install ML and once more upgrade to the 1.1.3

Yes, until the 113.fir is ready ... but I just did 113->112->ml->113 myself, it's really no problem at all.

Emanuel

1600x670 about 20 seconds / shot with the ExtremePro 85/mbs - and a new tip ;)
Using a hacked Kindle Fire HD with the 6D remote app (as a monitor)
here's one of the latest videos :

Pantsworth

Hey all – just letting you know that the install process was fairly trivial and went well. RAW video shooting has worked well – I have the Sandisk ExtremePro 85 MB/s SD card, and it can handle 720p continuous, but I've gotten 1600x600 to work equally well. Pretty much all the features have been great, especially for a pre-1.0 release.

It's been great, but I have one gripe – the separate sound recording. When enabled, the sound doesn't line up with the video (it's typically slightly shorter). It's the same whether shooting H.264 or RAW. Is there a setting I'm missing? Is it a rate issue? Your help is appreciated.

1%

I think it syncs at 25P, would be nice to find the stretch factor exactly.

painya

Quote from: 1% on October 10, 2013, 07:27:23 AM
I think it syncs at 25P, would be nice to find the stretch factor exactly.
If it syncs exactly to 25p, and the video is exactly 23.976, 23.976/25=.95904

1%

But we need to test it... for some people they multiplied by 1.3. what would that be? 30P?