6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: darkstarr on June 22, 2013, 06:01:29 AM
noisyboy my good man, is this build including the new variable buffer? im ready to take the plunge! lol
good job team ML

Google "bit bucket tragic lantern".
Go to downloads. Download the file furthermore on the list with "[6D]".
Extract the downloaded files.
Place the auto exec into the root directory of your sd card replacing the auto exec on the given version of ML of noisy boy's.  Then drag the modules folder into the ML folder located in the root directory in your sd card. Merge and overwrite the files from noisy boy's again.

These procedures will update you to the newest version which includes the variable buffer, etc. Redo this procedure to update in future cases.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Gobian on June 19, 2013, 09:50:10 AM
As xNineLives has pointed, I have been able to record 1920x816 (2:39) and over if you choose zoom x5, not more than 8 secs at that res, but for me enough to get a shot. Continuous recording is another matter, which like everyone is saying for our 6D seems pretty difficult to archive.

Without going to crop mode I think we can not go further than 1792x752 (2:39) and I am getting round 11-12 secs, which is not bad either, upscaling that to 1080p you get pretty good results.

Thanks for agreeing. I get 30 seconds now on the newest version at 1792x672 (2.67).

noisyboy

Not yet dude - I like to try it out before I update the zip to save too many problems as I'd rather kill my camera before killing everyone else's :p

If you want though - just replace the files on the SD card  with the files from the latest 6D build on 1%'s Bitbucket and it should work fine :) Link for the Bitbucket is in the guide. I'll try and update it later but I'm on a shoot at the mo so won't be back for another 6/7 hours!

Good luck!

b0fh

probably not the right place to ask, but... to use this intead of official ML on a 50D is it enough to overwrite the autoexec and modules like we do on the 6D? what is the expected firmware for the 50D?

cheers

1%

50D has its own builds but the process is the same.. overwrite autoexec and modules

b0fh

yup, worked just fine. don't like the way 'quick erase' works in he 50D now, but I digress  ;D

random

my recording limits with the newest version. shot in 1536x654(2,35) / 24fps, memory hack: on.
in between each circle I took the battery out to let the camera cool down for 5 minutes.

preview canon: 1,59min - 3:05 - 2:24
preview ML grayscale: 3:02min - 2:53 - 2:38
preview hacked: 4:05min - 3:24 - 5:00 (7188 frames)

in a 4th trial of preview canon at the end, it reached up 4:56min when the camera crashed, but the file (11,6GB) is safed and usable (exported the DNGs for a check). Thank you guys, what a great work! Now it's gettin realistic shooting short movies! Awesome.
I guess all Nikon users have already eaten their shorts ;)

crash logs (both were created at the same time):
1)
ASSERT: err == SUCCESS
at GUI.c:679, task PropMgr
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Jun22.6D113
Mercurial changeset   : 221a1927aa30+6685347055ba+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-06-22 22:24:09 by user@D610.
Free Memory  : 444K + 1458K

2)
ASSERT: IS_ERROR( Err ) == FALSE
at ./Multicast/PropertyMgr.c:50, task Evf
lv:1 mode:3

Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Jun22.6D113
Mercurial changeset   : 221a1927aa30+6685347055ba+ (unified) tip
Built on 2013-06-22 22:24:09 by user@D610.
Free Memory  : 444K + 1442K

P.s. why does AFX show me 25fps although I recorded with 24?
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

noisyboy

Quote from: random on June 24, 2013, 04:23:03 AM
my recording limits with the newest version. shot in 1536x654(2,35) / 24fps, memory hack: on.
in between each circle I took the battery out to let the camera cool down for 5 minutes.

preview canon: 1,59min - 3:05 - 2:24
preview ML grayscale: 3:02min - 2:53 - 2:38
preview hacked: 4:05min - 3:24 - 5:00 (7188 frames)

in a 4th trial of preview canon at the end, it reached up 4:56min when the camera crashed, but the file (11,6GB) is safed and usable (exported the DNGs for a check). Thank you guys, what a great work! Now it's gettin realistic shooting short movies! Awesome.
I guess all Nikon users have already eaten their shorts ;)

crash logs (both were created at the same time):
P.s. why does AFX show me 25fps although I recorded with 24?

Did you import as a DNG sequence? It's probably because 25 is what you have set as the default framerate in your settings... Go into your AFX settings and you can change in Prefences -> Import  8)

Malex

Hi hi, thanx Noisyboy for this guide, I already had ML on my 6D since march but I haven't done any update so far.

Now I came by your post to play around with RAW :) so I formated my card and I got all the latest files, but I have one problem that I didn't have before, and that 2 other persons on this thread are complaining about, but after reading all the pages here it seems that nobody helped them with that problem : ML menu quitting by itself after 5 seconds or less  if you don't touch anything.

Are we all having this issue? If not, what should we do to fix it? Is it something in canon menu that should be off? Or in ML menu?

Another question, in the guide your are talking about the modules lv_rec.mo and raw_rec.mo
But I can also see :
- bolt.mo
- ettr.mo
- file_man.mo
- pic_view.mo
What are those modules for? Pic_view is intriging... Can we play raw files on cam...?
All those modules are set in Autoload, should we keep it this way? Or should we turn off some for best raw performance?

Thanx in advance ^_^

1%

If you have bolt rec right now you have an older build.. I can't reproduce the crashes.. still recording tho, 27GB and counting.

The menu quitting times out with canon dialog. I think all ML is like that.

17960 frames of 1344x726, no crash in 24P  mode.

8beeeaaat

Are these RAW video informations about 6D correct ?
I would like to reference these information for buying my next DSLR...
Especially, Max res for 24p continuous rec is very important for me.
What is "600+ frames" ?
Is not continuous ??

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/lv?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc&f=true&noheader=true&gid=5

Sorry about my poor English.

1%

Above was continuous, at least I hope, card filled.

8beeeaaat

Quote from: 1% on June 25, 2013, 01:11:56 AM
Above was continuous, at least I hope, card filled.

Thank you for giving a reply.
The max resolution is 1408x800 ?
I'm satisfied if I can record it at least for 10 min.

asombrir

I was eager to try ML on my 6D but I am not experienced. I use vintage lenses with adapters so the camera asks me to hit the start button to ensure a lens is attached anytime I turn it on. I had gone through all the steps to get ML on the sd card and turned on my camera tried the trash button and nothing. Hit my start lens and see no way to find the ML. Again, I have never used ML, but I did go through all the steps. If anyone can help me great! I am wanting to try shooting raw video and feel lost on what I am missing.

noisyboy

Hey :)

So does it work with an electronic lens? Shouldn't matter. Your card is definitely made bootable with eoscard?

Also - if you get adapters that have "focus confirmation" inside them - this shouldn't be a problem. They often cost barely anymore than the regular adapters and the bonus is you can get a confirmation when you are focused correctly  8)

asombrir

I actually have no electronic lenses right now. I see the ML info on the card still when checking in my computer, but have no luck when I get the card in the camera. I must be missing something simple. I will start over from step one and keep trying. Thanks.

noisyboy

Quote from: asombrir on June 25, 2013, 05:33:25 PM
I actually have no electronic lenses right now. I see the ML info on the card still when checking in my computer, but have no luck when I get the card in the camera. I must be missing something simple. I will start over from step one and keep trying. Thanks.

Have you seen the "SUCCESS" screen when you installed the boot flag?

asombrir

No, that is what was throwing me off. I never had anything happen on the 6D after trying the steps. But I see the right files on the card. So there is obviously something I missed.

asombrir

I thought when I had put the early firmware on it set the bootflag, then I put the 1.1.3 back on.

asombrir

I see what I missed now, hopefully have it all working this time. Sorry for pretty ignorant questions. This is my first time with ML.

noisyboy

Lol! No worries dude :) We're all here to help! That's what community is all about eh  8)

asombrir

@noisyboy, thank you so much! Your guide actually gave me the confidence to finally attack this and I got it. Filmed my son playing some so I am about to try the Rawanizer out. So excited! Thanks again.

noisyboy

Cool man :) make sure to get the latest rawanizer - it's always improving! So easy to use too - just just select your files and click start and everything happens for you :)

asombrir

I will look for that new version. I have used the original in the folder and have all the DNG files now trying to find a method that works for me to convert to video.

noisyboy

Quote from: asombrir on June 25, 2013, 10:27:11 PM
I will look for that new version. I have used the original in the folder and have all the DNG files now trying to find a method that works for me to convert to video.

What do you intend to do with them? Do you have After Effects/Premiere?