6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Quote from: random on June 08, 2013, 02:40:07 AM
Yeah I can open them in AFX, no problem, but if I wanna edit my footage, in which format I'm supposed to export it to get it over to Premiere? To losless AVI "16bit" (that still uses 16.7mio of colours)?

And what do I export from Premiere then, DNxHD 10 bit?

You might find this guide useful depending on whether or not you have a version of Creative Suite that supports Dynamic Link: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6021.msg44250#msg44250

random

Quote from: noisyboy on June 10, 2013, 04:00:27 AM
You might find this guide useful depending on whether or not you have a version of Creative Suite that supports Dynamic Link: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6021.msg44250#msg44250

damn it, have no words  8)
thanks!
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

b0fh

Quote from: noisyboy on June 10, 2013, 02:30:28 AM
1 - Yup, you can disable if you like!

2 - Which grayed out things dude? Eg. If you look at all the stuff under global draw you might see it's grayed out but if you go to Live View and press info to cycle through the displays you will eventually get to the ML display and you can enable all the goodies like zebras focus peaking etc. Pretty much everything should work.

d'oh... had canon overlays enabled... it all works, thanks dude.

najibmok

Quote from: noisyboy on May 20, 2013, 04:07:52 PM

1: Download this zip file which contains all the stuff you need :

http://ge.tt/api/1/files/78ITPEi/0/blob?download

Hey noisyboy.. Thanks a million for the tutorial.. Looks like solid! I'm new to ML and the community looks awesome.

The zip in the download link doesnt seem to be there? Unless I missed some update?

Sorry I am behind a massive firewall that prevented me from the download. Once I turned on the VPN it worked!.. I'll be testing the procedure and I'll report if it works.
Thanks again! :)

najibmok

Quote from: najibmok on June 10, 2013, 05:53:42 PM
Hey noisyboy.. Thanks a million for the tutorial.. Looks like solid! I'm new to ML and the community looks awesome.

The zip in the download link doesnt seem to be there? Unless I missed some update?

Sorry I am behind a massive firewall that prevented me from the download. Once I turned on the VPN it worked!.. I'll be testing the procedure and I'll report if it works.
Thanks again! :)

Worked like mint! I got ML now on my 6D!
I'm mainly insalling it for the intervallometer feature.. to be used with a konova basic motion slider. (witout their fancy controller which I think is not worth the bucks).
I'll share videos here.. Thanks again a million guys for the tremendous work!

paste

Thanks to 1% for helping unlock the 6D, and noisyboy for helping us figure out how to use it!

After updating to the latest "[113] Its New.zip" yesterday, I was able to get 7 buffers going and thus record 5-6 seconds of the good stuff (1792+). I think on the install guide you might include some pointers as to what settings the camera should be in for best performance. For example I needed to change picture format from RAW+JPG to just RAW, the various liveview options, etc... I am using a 64GB SanDisk Extreme 45Mb/s and it stays right around 39-40MB/s write speed. 

Is it just me, or does the ML interface (trashcan) seem to have a very short timer on it? If you pause while navigating through the menus for just 2-3 seconds, it closes. And it seems like the timer doesn't reset itself, if you close the interface manually, the next time you open it the timer will have less time on it. This can be particularly frustrating when navigating through the resolutions....

I also noticed the exposure preview isn't always accurate when using "Canon" liveview mode. It seems that changing the shutter speed/ISO/aperture only affects the preview after 2 or 3 full stops either way. So if you only make a small adjustment, your video may not have the exposure you expect. What is the best way to preview/control the exposure that RAW video will use?

One workflow thing I haven't seen in these threads -- if you have Apple Compressor, it has an "Add Image Sequence" function that can render to ProRes or Unompressed 8/10 bit. Going from RAWMagic to Compressor to FCPX is a pretty quick workflow, even though it's not really taking advantage of RAW, you still get a pliable clip.

Also, I am a Magic Lantern newb so I didn't realize that 5X liveview zoom actually records at that crop, giving you a 1:1 crop of the sensor and defeating the nasty moire monsters. With my 20mm lens this is actually usable, giving me something like a 60mm field of view, although the resolved detail seems to suffer a bit.

parry1994

Hi, I'm new here at this forum.
I'm just wondering if its possible to adjust ISO or even set it to AUTO while recording raw? I couldn't find any answere yet. And yes, it does work well without using RAW in videomode. (I'm using the latest modules)

fotojohni

Quote from: parry1994 on June 11, 2013, 12:48:10 PM
Hi, I'm new here at this forum.
I'm just wondering if its possible to adjust ISO or even set it to AUTO while recording raw? I couldn't find any answere yet. And yes, it does work well without using RAW in videomode. (I'm using the latest modules)

don't use auto iso in raw, it will make you insane.  I have a magic 50, aka pentax 50 1.4 with a stripped aperture clicker.  That is the best option.  otherwise just adjust in post.  14 bit gives approx. 11.5 stops of usable latitude (see ETTR for why 14 bit is so much better than 8 bit) just adjust in post.

parry1994

Quote from: fotojohni on June 11, 2013, 04:26:25 PM
don't use auto iso in raw, it will make you insane.  I have a magic 50, aka pentax 50 1.4 with a stripped aperture clicker.  That is the best option.  otherwise just adjust in post.  14 bit gives approx. 11.5 stops of usable latitude (see ETTR for why 14 bit is so much better than 8 bit) just adjust in post.
Yes ok, but how can i make adjustments in post of a dng sequence when i want to make a transition between a dark and a bright scene... i could just import 2 sequences (set one darker and the other one brighter when importing to the software) and then make a transition with opacity between both clips.. BUT isnt there a way to edit this on a single clip? and im still talking about RAW. I use after effects to edit

fotojohni

Quote from: parry1994 on June 11, 2013, 05:02:34 PM
Yes ok, but how can i make adjustments in post of a dng sequence when i want to make a transition between a dark and a bright scene... i could just import 2 sequences (set one darker and the other one brighter when importing to the software) and then make a transition with opacity between both clips.. BUT isnt there a way to edit this on a single clip? and im still talking about RAW. I use after effects to edit

You know about the arrow button shortcuts no?  Go into magic lantern prefs, the icon looks like a camera with menu screen, enable iso and wb buttons, use iso buttons to adjust on the fly.  When I used auto iso the flicker was so annoying that it was pretty much unusable with out a lot of post processing. 

Jagannatha

Hi!
I'm testing ML on my 6D. Noticed one thing - with ML installed I try to turn on Canon native HDR mode and after pressing the shoot button camera shows "busy" message without shooting a photo and stops with error. Tried it several times. I have a log file but cannot attach it right now, because I don't have a card rider here with me.
And as it was mentioned above - do something with ML menu. It automatically switches off if you don't touch any button for several seconds. 
I have a sandisk extreme pro 95 mb/s. When I try to record raw video it shows my speed is about 40 mb/s. I tested my card with a cardreader. It showed ~ 70mb/s. Why it is so slow in camera?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Jagannatha on June 11, 2013, 09:05:01 PM
Hi!
I'm testing ML on my 6D. Noticed one thing - with ML installed I try to turn on Canon native HDR mode and after pressing the shoot button camera shows "busy" message without shooting a photo and stops with error. Tried it several times. I have a log file but cannot attach it right now, because I don't have a card rider here with me.
And as it was mentioned above - do something with ML menu. It automatically switches off if you don't touch any button for several seconds. 
I hava sandisk extreme pro 95 mb/s. When I try to record raw video it shows my speed is about 40 mb/s. I tested my card with a cardreader. It showed ~ 70mb/s. Why it is so slow in camera?

The hardware in the camera is limited to 40. Supposedly it can go to 50 but we have yet to figure out...

paste

Quote from: Jagannatha on June 11, 2013, 09:05:01 PM
I hava sandisk extreme pro 95 mb/s. When I try to record raw video it shows my speed is about 40 mb/s. I tested my card with a cardreader. It showed ~ 70mb/s. Why it is so slow in camera?

The SD card controller in the 6D is limited it seems (although not as bad as other cameras). We are essentially maxing out the possible write speed. I'm just guessing, but I think our only hope for Full HD RAW is either a firmware update from Canon to improve throughput to the SD card (maybe to support some future SD cards?) or some kind of miracle from the ML team to lower frame size. There may be other options... I am hopeful that somebody comes up with a stroke of genius to address the moire in full frame recording. Maybe some combination of crop + resize hits a sweet spot where aliasing is lessend?  One thing's for sure, the 5D3 owners are feeling mighty satisfied with the added value in their purchase about now.

1%

Yea, canon HDR, image processing, etc may be busted... but who uses those crap functions... just boot magic off.

shdster

Quote from: noisyboy on June 10, 2013, 12:32:12 AM
Go for a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s card dude. No need for anything high than that right now and they are cheap too :)

Thanks noisyboy for information and whole your work here;) Could you tell me which files should i download to get the newest version of raw module? I've installed version from "ML For 6D with RAW Shooting 01-06-2013.rar, and downloaded [113] Its New.zip, but when i unzipped it into SD card, ML loading without any modules... what i am doing wrong ?:)

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: shdster on June 12, 2013, 12:46:45 AM
Thanks noisyboy for information and whole your work here;) Could you tell me which files should i download to get the newest version of raw module? I've installed version from "ML For 6D with RAW Shooting 01-06-2013.rar, and downloaded [113] Its New.zip, but when i unzipped it into SD card, ML loaded without any modules... what i am doing wrong ?:)

Drag the autoexec file into your root directory. Then put the "modules folder" inside the "ML" folder. Tell windows to merge the files. Do the same with the "Scripts" folder (Put it in the "ML" Folder).

shdster

consmi

Hey I'm kinda new to this forum. Just downloaded ML on my 6D (thanks noisyboy). Couple questions.
1) When recording 720p RAW, is there any way to make the "crop area" fullscreen rather than just a mark on the window?
2) Is 720p RAW better than h.264 1080p? At what resolution does RAW become pointless compared to h.264?
3) What can I do to help further the development? I'm no good at writing software/porting or anything, but if there is anything I can do just tell me.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: consmi on June 12, 2013, 05:15:24 AM
Hey I'm kinda new to this forum. Just downloaded ML on my 6D (thanks noisyboy). Couple questions.
1) When recording 720p RAW, is there any way to make the "crop area" fullscreen rather than just a mark on the window?
2) Is 720p RAW better than h.264 1080p? At what resolution does RAW become pointless compared to h.264?
3) What can I do to help further the development? I'm no good at writing software/porting or anything, but if there is anything I can do just tell me.

1) Not of now but 1% may be able to implement, you should request it in the 6D development section in the forum category "New Ports".
2) 720p RAW is better than h.264 1080p. There have been comparisons (can't seem to remember), check in the shared video sections. Find one done by a t2i t3i 60d etc. they should be recording at or below 720p and it's still better.
3) This question I may not be suited to answer but from my noob perspective I can say that you could help by just simply using the newest versions and reporting your crash logs when you get em'.

nsoderi

Hello Kraig,

I have just followed your "noobs" guide and worked just great.

Tried only once and success.

Tip to everyone, when he says to formate the SDCard, really do it from Windows.

Thanks!

SODERI

noisyboy

Cool glad to hear it! You're welcome dude  8)

Emanuel

new video shot at 2624x928. was only able to get 14 frames before it stopped ( and again no tripod  :-X ). A little editing made it all a bit better (i hope) . i know i could have skipped frames but i was just interested to see how 14 frames - expanded would look like 

and here is the Vimeo link https://vimeo.com/68263376

parry1994

Quote from: fotojohni on June 11, 2013, 06:39:08 PM
You know about the arrow button shortcuts no?  Go into magic lantern prefs, the icon looks like a camera with menu screen, enable iso and wb buttons, use iso buttons to adjust on the fly.  When I used auto iso the flicker was so annoying that it was pretty much unusable with out a lot of post processing.

Yes i know that, It works perfectly when i record normal video, and I just found out it only works when i DISABLE memory hack in the RAW settings... ENABLE means for me: when i press any arrowbutton, it doesnt change ISO at all, and I cant stop recording anymore... So the 6D pretty much crashes and I have to turn the power button OFF. This doesnt happen when I disable "Memory Hack"

kgv5

I think that we reached the point where we have just to think what to shoot and not how to increase and increase the quality. IMO 1794x 750 with 107%ish of upscale is almost perfect for most things, way better than h264 and 11-12 seconds of recording is very usable. Shooting raw requires planning - nobody can afford to record hours of rubish footage, we cannot trim the clips in the field like with stock 264. If someone doesn't record interviews 10-15 seconds of continous recording would be enough for him. On this forum there is a music video made of one second clips- its brilliant and the quality is awesome- just cinema like. Having 10-15 seconds for me is great and enough for some commercial stuff, music videos etc.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

parry1994

Quote from: kgv5 on June 13, 2013, 08:16:38 PM
I think that we reached the point where we have just to think what to shoot and not how to increase and increase the quality.

You are right. If someone really needs to record longer, has to get a 5D with CF slot. But still, it's not even in alpha for the 6D, so I expect more to come, even though this is already amazaing what the ML-team created so far!
Big respect to you guys