6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

Hands down is the SanDisk extreme series.  They are 45mb/s and give the same performance at high resolution.

random

1536x656/25fps upscaled to 1080p

Can anybody tell me the right workflow going with TIFFs?
I'm not sure if DNG>TIFF16bit>losless AVI>DNxHD 10 bit>h264 brings any real difference to DNG>losless AVI>DNxHD 8 bit>h264?

Thanks
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: random on June 08, 2013, 01:14:15 AM
1536x656/25fps upscaled to 1080p

Can anybody tell me the right workflow going with TIFFs?
I'm not sure if DNG>TIFF16bit>losless AVI>DNxHD 10 bit>h264 brings any real difference to DNG>losless AVI>DNxHD 8 bit>h264?

Thanks

Just use adobe camera raw to edit your photos, export them as Tiffs in the same folder and then open them up in whichever video software that is capable of stitching those frames together. Virtual Dub (windows only) or quicktime pro works good. I'm not to much of an after effects guy but I know that software is professional as hell and can easily do that job too. Its just that after effects is sooo hard to use, I have no idea what the hell I'm doing.

random

Yeah I can open them in AFX, no problem, but if I wanna edit my footage, in which format I'm supposed to export it to get it over to Premiere? To losless AVI "16bit" (that still uses 16.7mio of colours)?

And what do I export from Premiere then, DNxHD 10 bit?
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: random on June 08, 2013, 02:40:07 AM
Yeah I can open them in AFX, no problem, but if I wanna edit my footage, in which format I'm supposed to export it to get it over to Premiere? To losless AVI "16bit" (that still uses 16.7mio of colours)?

I'm not a codec master but just export with the highest quality codec possible then important to premiere then export with an intermediate codec. Intermediate meaning a balance between quality and file size. Prores does this well along with dnxhd. Cineform apparently is nice also.

Emanuel

Quote from: random on June 08, 2013, 02:40:07 AM

I use DPX (sequence) it's about 5Megs per frame - it even gives me a warning in AE that the format may be too much for what i'm trying to save - and then all the NLEs use proxies so if you have a decent computer you're good to go. I would not recommend a laptop for this :)

jankyy

hi there,

and thanks a lot for the install guide, worked fine for me!

now i do understand that everybody is working hard on getting the 'raw' thing going. however, i will do some 'regular' .h264 shooting for a job soon. i woud love to use ML for the other features, but i'm a bit anxious if i will get the encoding settings right (never quite got the Bitrate / InitQP / ConfigSelect thing).

i have a 6D with SanDisk Extreme Pro 32GB (95MB/s)

can anyone give me simple advise, what would be a 'safe' setup (or should i even revert to the canon default 'all-i'?) 'safe' is more important for me now than to squeeze the last bit of information out of the frame...

thanks! jan

p.s.: i get a little confused by the wording in the 'user guide', since it doesn't exactly seem to match the latest ML encoding menu...

shdster

One question - which card is right now the best for ML @ 6D? :)

Gobian

Jankyy, my humble opinion (I´ve got like you a 6D and a Sandisk Extreme Pro 32Gb) is if you are using the camera for work or you need safety then get a few of these ones:
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-Class-Flash-Memory-TS32GSDHC10E/dp/B003VNKNF0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370727865&sr=8-2&keywords=sd+card

Which are round 25$ and use them for work (I´ve got 8 of those), then for testing ML I use the Sandisk Ext. Pro. If it is really not essential for your work (just yet) to record RAW footage, then have a couple at least of cards so you can switch them.

[SIZE=1]6D | 550D | Canon f4/24-105mm IS USM | Canon f4/70-200mm USM |Canon f1.8/85mm | Canon f1.4/50mm |Tokina f2.8/11-16mm |

nativeridge

First up, thanks noisyboy for the VERY CLEAR install guide - makes a world of difference to be able to step through the process with confidence due to the attention to detail you provided

Received my 6D five days ago and nervous anticipation to get ML on it has now changed to looking through the menu and looking forward to trying out all these exciting functions [may not use them all, but better to have than have not  ;D]

Only thing I saw that initially appeared was 'script dir missing' but quick search of forum and placing a SCRIPTS folder within ML folder and that's sorted

TY 1% and all the other people putting time in to develop this, all very exciting and given time who knows may be able to contribute something....

Quick question "Can I just copy and paste everything from the card I am using now onto my spare card, so if I swap them ML is ready to go?!"

Obviously after I have formatted the spare card before pasting that data......

GEAR: CANON 6D / BG-E13/ CANON 40D / 70-200 f4L IS / 17-40 f4L / Tokina 12-24 f4 / Sigma 105 f2.8 / 50mm f1.8 / 85mm f1.8 / METZ 58 AF-1 / EXT 1.4II / Manfrotto 055XPROB - 808RC4  [_O_]

rightcore

Thanks for the great effort for the raw shooting.
These days I'm taking the movie with the RAW setting and satisfying the quality.

However there are two limitation when I record.

First one is the sound recording.
When I set the video resolution as low, both recording of sound and video is OK. However, when I increase the resolution(1280x720), the recording is quickly stopped. Is there any plan for the improvement?

Second one is the green blinking(?).
The brightest or darkest dots are represented as green.
I thinks that it is a kind of overflow of the pixel value..
Is there any thing that I should check?

Thanks.

Ian

Having chosen the 6D over the 5D mark3 I must say I inwardly groaned when I heard about the new raw video capability. But all these 6d videos have cheered me a lot!

1792 x 1008  for 5 seconds is just enough for most situations I might need. It`s a shame that Canon disabled the remote control facility for video in the 6D though. After physically  pressing the record button the camera needs a second or so for the vibration to dampen, making it only 3 or 4 seconds perhaps. Does Magic Lantern have a remote control video function in the pipeline for the 6D (or even a self-timer function) or is that just wishful thinking?

b0fh

holy moly... just installed this on the 6D and it works very well... that was real quick! the installation is a bit convoluted, but works like a charm. kudos to anyone involved, now I will be using the 6d more instead of the old 50D as I am addicted to the interface tweaks on ML.

2 quickies:

1- as I do not do video, can I safely disable the 'modules autoload on startup'? those things seem to be all video related. or it does not matter?

2- the 'grayed' things in the menu are things that do not work yet, right?

Gobian

I have been editing the first tests I did few days ago, here are some shots using 6D+ML Raw Video, shots are at different resolutions as they were part of the tests.
[SIZE=1]6D | 550D | Canon f4/24-105mm IS USM | Canon f4/70-200mm USM |Canon f1.8/85mm | Canon f1.4/50mm |Tokina f2.8/11-16mm |

Virindi

Gobian

Cheers!  ;)
I´ve done some more editing without touching saturation in ACR (the previous one I desaturated and lower vibrance quite a lot) of the shots I took the other day.

All were indoors and some of them not much light in the room (couple of torch that my kids were playing around)

electrichobo

Where are we at as far as ratio vs continuous shooting?  I'd like to work on filling in the "matrix" chart that's been floating around but would like to start at where we see our tops right now.

random

Quote from: Gobian on June 09, 2013, 05:55:26 PM
Cheers!  ;)
I´ve done some more editing without touching saturation in ACR (the previous one I desaturated and lower vibrance quite a lot) of the shots I took the other day.

Hey in which format did you export from AFX? WHat is 422 QT? It's not ProRes, is it?

electrichobo: I'm doing fine shooting continously with 1536x656 upscaled to 1080. Recording without sound and without hacked mode.
I don't like 16:9 format and would prefer 2:34, but this 2:35 is almost the same.

Gobian

Hi Random, from AE I choose Quicktime (QT) Format: Uncompressed 10bit 4:2:2 (this basically is a MOV file uncompressed) then I take that in premiere and export as quicktime mp4 (h264) for uploading to Vimeo.

I´m on a PC so no ProRes for me I believe (at least as far as I know only Mac can use it). :)

random

I understand, nice. Does it have any advantage exporting QT 10bit uncompressed instead of losless AVI?

I can export AVI in 10bit, too, can't I?

How many colours does 10bit use, 16,7mio or more?

Gobian

Hi, well I don´t really know that, I´m using QT, because it doesn´t give any problems really :) Probably losless AVI is as good or better, but honestly I have not try AVIs.

The fact that is 10 bit or 8 for me at that point is a bit useless, as where I take advantage of the amount of info  store in the raw files is in Adobe Camera Raw, then once I ´ve done all the adjustments for colour and lighting in AE I export it  to Premiere to edit the shots and render out to something that Vimeo can swallow. :)

All this is just for the tests, as been able to adjust the footage with ACR is just pretty new :) With standard (no raw) footage usually I would do the opposite, import into premiere first, edit and then colour grade it, but since only AE allow me to import dng I start from there instead of premiere.

I´ve just done a quick search these could help you with the amount of colours stored in the files regarding if 8bits, 10bits, 12bits, etc...

http://www.techhive.com/article/171223/10_bit_color.html

noisyboy

Quote from: shdster on June 08, 2013, 11:26:30 PM
One question - which card is right now the best for ML @ 6D? :)

Go for a Sandisk Extreme 45MB/s card dude. No need for anything high than that right now and they are cheap too :)

xNiNELiVES

First time making a type of video. Usually a stills guy. First time using premiere also, excuse my terrible panning skills and manually focusing...

Its a WHOLE lot sharper when you play the original file, not after youtube compresses it even further.

noisyboy

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on June 10, 2013, 01:01:56 AM
First time making a type of video. Usually a stills guy. First time using premiere also, excuse my terrible panning skills and manually focusing...

Its a WHOLE lot sharper when you play the original file, not after youtube compresses it even further.

NIIIIIIICE :)

noisyboy

Quote from: b0fh on June 09, 2013, 04:41:45 PM
holy moly... just installed this on the 6D and it works very well... that was real quick! the installation is a bit convoluted, but works like a charm. kudos to anyone involved, now I will be using the 6d more instead of the old 50D as I am addicted to the interface tweaks on ML.

2 quickies:

1- as I do not do video, can I safely disable the 'modules autoload on startup'? those things seem to be all video related. or it does not matter?

2- the 'grayed' things in the menu are things that do not work yet, right?

1 - Yup, you can disable if you like!

2 - Which grayed out things dude? Eg. If you look at all the stuff under global draw you might see it's grayed out but if you go to Live View and press info to cycle through the displays you will eventually get to the ML display and you can enable all the goodies like zebras focus peaking etc. Pretty much everything should work.