6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

6D has been good for stills.. no issues there.

random

My first RAW testvideo.

1280x720/24p, not upscaled, no color correction, no sharpened
losless AVI exported from Premiere into h.264

Does anybody know why it gets unfocused in the moment the camera moves?
It was even worse with transcoding it from DNxHD into h.264 with MPEG streamclip.
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

xNiNELiVES

Yeah I'm getting bad frames. I using a 32gb extreme pro. I turn of global draw, but cannot find hacked mode. At 1792x672 at 24p I only get 180 frames. User Kgv5 got 421 frames. I don't know why I'm getting such bad frames. If I could get any assistance from the community here to optimize like everyone else that'd be great.

Also on card R/W benchmark it only tests read and write only once each, in the screenshots here I see it being done filling up the entire page...

ManixLiquid

2 questions...

Why 6D RAW video files are in full color? Even if I film in CineStyle, they still come in full colors.

How do I import raw files in Premiere? Can't find cineformDNG plug-in anywhere. I have windows 7.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

1%

It looks like H264 dropped QP when it "defocused"... is that in the original?

Picture styles don't affect raw. Long frames at 720P need the memory hack and photo mode. I got AutoETTR working there and now have 23.976... but it doesn't seem to help shutter speeds any over 24.

I put NR on don't click me for now, it gets un-busy faster.

Also found out you can monitor via wifi with almost no drop in photo mode. It takes a tiny bit out of the 7th chunk.
Looks green with uniwb.

mikez104

First I'd like to say thanks to 1% for all the work he is putting into this project.  This is awesome!  And thanks noisyboy for the tutorial.  I was wondering how to install ML on my 6D and I found this thread and was psyched.  I followed your instructions and did it with 0 issues. 

I do have one question.  I want to use several different SD cards.  Do I have to follow the whole process again to install on the other cards?  I did the whole downgrade and upgrade process when I installed it.  Do I do that again for another card? 

Thanks again

1%

You just have to have files on all SD cards and make them all bootable... it runs off the card.

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: mikez104 on June 05, 2013, 05:03:48 AM
First I'd like to say thanks to 1% for all the work he is putting into this project.  This is awesome!  And thanks noisyboy for the tutorial.  I was wondering how to install ML on my 6D and I found this thread and was psyched.  I followed your instructions and did it with 0 issues. 

I do have one question.  I want to use several different SD cards.  Do I have to follow the whole process again to install on the other cards?  I did the whole downgrade and upgrade process when I installed it.  Do I do that again for another card? 

Thanks again

just copy the ML files for 1.1.3 (in the zip) to your other SD cards...

Edit: Dammit beat me by a second! Literally too lol

fotojohni

Quote from: ManixLiquid on June 05, 2013, 03:56:21 AM
How do I import raw files in Premiere? Can't find cineformDNG plug-in anywhere. I have windows 7.

There are a few different camps on this one. 

First you need to convert the .raw files into a folder full of .DNGs.  I'm on a mac, so I use raw2DNG, works amazingly well.

from there, you can:

1. convert to cinemaDNG using rawenizer, seems cool, but not really my thing

--or--

2. import raw into aftereffect.  (look up a tutorial for timelapse videos with aftereffects, it's really easy once you get the hang of it)

2a when importing into aftereffects, ACR will pop up for the first frame.  This is AWESOME.  ACR is a beast program and lets you expand   dynamic range to absurd levels.  A few general rules when using ACR:

i.  do not use auto anything, especially white balance.  It applies auto to everything
            ii. don't alter exposure, it uses a special algo that works on the balance of light in the frame, as that balance changes, like say when you move the camera, the exposure algo will change too.
            iii.  set sharpening to 0.  Sharpening pretty much takes the already bad moire and makes it worse.  I recommend using denoise.

3. use bridge to convert to jpeg.  import into premiere.  (worst way, makes colors look washed and generally bad, but, it's the most space efficient)

random

Quote from: 1% on June 05, 2013, 04:43:48 AM
It looks like H264 dropped QP when it "defocused"... is that in the original?

No it's not, at least far away from this extreme. What u mean by QP, and do you have any idea to fix that?
If I export to DNxHD and transcode to H264 by Streamclip it's even worse.
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

1%

Quantizer of the video was raised in H264... check how you set up the encode. Too much detail in the frame and it lowers quality to keep within whatever rates you set... just like canon, lol.

x264vfw always gave me good results... I think a lot of stuff is pulled from new ffmpeg builds (which I think streamclip uses)... they decided the codecs were better standalone or something stupid like that.

Also make sure the dnxHD looks good so you're not losing it there.

mikez104

Quote from: 1% on June 05, 2013, 05:12:42 AM
You just have to have files on all SD cards and make them all bootable... it runs off the card.

Thanks!  Worked like a charm.  Now I just have to fiddle with the settings to get some respectable resolutions.  So far I can't get continuous above 768x432.  My card that I am testing on is an 8G sandisk ultra.  Says 30MB/s but I'm doubting that.

1%

Sandisk 30Mb/s is fail on UHS (and C10), you're not the first person to say it sucks.... that resolution is below 600D

random

QuoteQuantizer of the video was raised in H264... check how you set up the encode. Too much detail in the frame and it lowers quality to keep within whatever rates you set... just like canon, lol

I understand.
I've tried different settings now, but still don't get any change. Even with maximum bitrate of 20 or higher I get the same unfocus, maybe a little bit less, not sure. I'm using the Premiere 720p preset, just raising the bitrate a little.

Am I the only one with this result?

mikez104

Quote from: 1% on June 06, 2013, 03:16:06 AM
Sandisk 30Mb/s is fail on UHS (and C10), you're not the first person to say it sucks.... that resolution is below 600D

It sucks on a good day..  Yeah, highest speed with the benchmark is 13.8  :P  Best I have is a Lexar 16G pro 400x and it only does ~23MB/s. 

krausmedia

Here's my first little 6D tests at different resolutions. I guess you could hardly call them tests....mainly just shooting around at whatever was near me at the moment.

1%

Don't render H264 from premier.. try some intermediate. It never looked right rendering from AE to H264. Running it through virtual dub was winner for compression + quality.

Audionut

Quote from: 1% on June 06, 2013, 06:06:21 AM
Running it through virtual dub was winner for compression + quality.

I'd prefer to use MeGui or Handbrake myself (x264 in a command line actually).  Any recent (circa 2002 and newer) codec requires a hack to get it into the AVI container with VirtualDub.

IMO, the highest quality should be attained with rendering the DNG's to TIFF, and using Avisynth with ImageSource to encode directly to x264.

1%

The batch tools on here do a decent job, best video is of course from the tiffs but they are like 40gb for a fairly short sequence.

I don't like handbrake but didn't know that about virtualdub, videos from it do seem to play back. Haven't had any issues.. yet.

Emanuel

1792x752 using a class 10 Trancend card - non UHS :( recording one second at the time - Editing RAW-DNG-DPX-H264 needless to say I almost filled a 32G card with the footage for this video - and the editing took more then 15 hours. But if you play this at 1080 i guess there's almost an unnoticeable difference with the "baby" RED Scarlet. A little birdie has told me that a major advertising company has made such a comparison in between a modded ML 5DM3 and a RED Epic , and from what i understand their conclusion was that the difference wile still there is unnoticeable. 

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Emanuel on June 06, 2013, 07:13:31 PM
1792x752 using a class 10 Trancend card - non UHI :( recording one second at the time - Editing RAW-DNG-DPX-H264 needless to say I almost filled a 32G card with the footage for this video - and the editing took more then 15 hours. But if you play this at 1080 i guess there's almost an unnoticeable difference with the "baby" RED Scarlet. A little birdie has told me that a major advertising company has made such a comparison in between a modded ML 5DM3 and a RED Epic , and from what i understand their conclusion was that the difference wile still there is unnoticeable. 

Smoking is bad. Nice vid xD

kgv5

Quality is really awesome  :D
Almost couldn't see aliasing or moire, those fast cuts looks great - this shows how the good idea can make technical issues less visible  :)
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

someguy2

offtop: after installing magic lantern i faced with DAT problem. Sometimes in normal video mode it says "video record has been stoped automaticly" (buffer overflow) + adds .dat file. Is it Magic Lantern case? I tried 6 differnt sd cards and 2 battaries - its not the case of hardware i am pretty sure about it. Can u figure it out, please?

Vira

Is there any word on the best card, without going overboard on like a 95 Mbps card, to get the max write speed? My card currently maxes 31 Mbps and I want the 40.