6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManixLiquid

I'm looking at 1% bitbucket download. Can't find lastest updated 6D ML files. I would like to update ML on my camera.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

kgv5

Here is everything you need

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads

Just to add to this - you'll find the latest stuff at the top of the page.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

ManixLiquid

Ok. I downloaded the lastest update ([EOSM] Raw Recording.zip), unziped, copy and replace autoexect bin, modules and scripts. I put the sd card (sandisk 95 ext pro) back on my 6D but the camera wont starts. No red light indicating an sd card. I tried another sd card (without ML) and the camera boots. Still wont work with sandisk 95.

I had to restore previous ML version on my sandisk card to make the camera boots.

Must have done something wrong?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

1%

ManixLiquid

Quote from: 1% on June 02, 2013, 01:10:23 AM
It says EOS M

Grrrr. Yeah. Honest mistake. Sorry.

I downloaded the proper 113 update. Thanks.

random

Quote from: noisyboy on June 01, 2013, 02:27:31 PM
Hey man. You don't really want any sharpening inside of ACR at all as this brings out the moire and aliasing. I find that an unsharp mask inside of After Effects is more forgiving. That or if you are going to use it instead of unsharp mask  then I'd crank the mask slider up and just pull it back a tiny bit to tast

WB is something that is completely subjective to your scene. You can use the drop down menu to select something like Tungsten or Daylight or Cloudy etc. if you know the environment you were in then this is a good place to start and then again tweak to taste. When in doubt just look at skin tones. I pull the main temperature slider until it turns blue and the pull it back until it turns yellow and then split the difference so it's neither one or the other. Same again with tint. If there is something white in your scene then you can always use the WB dropper. Something I really want to see added is a feature that captures what would be the metadata and a bunch of other information regarding your scene (like a slate) that is burnt into the first frame of the video but I need someone smarter than myself to help me create it ;)

In regard to rendering this seems like you need to know a lot more about encoding in general as it depends if you want your export to be lossless at the expence of it being enormous in size and playing back on nothing or lossy which will be smaller in size and playback fine but introduce minor artefacts. You should probably google this or search the forum and research it more. If you want an editable codec that plays back great and retains a good amount of information then you can't go wrong with ProRes on a Mac or Avid DNxHD in Windows.

Hope this helps.

Thank you a lot for your help! Well, good to know that I shouldn't sharp in Camera Raw.
You know how I can get the DnxHD codec? Won't come with Adobe, will it ;-)

Hey is it true that RAW-recordings can't skip the 4GB-limit like the h264 can do? That'd mean that the maximum recording time of a 1600x600 is not much more than 1 minute, right?
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

1%

6D is SD.. what 4gb limit?

fat32 is supposed to cut, I haven't tested it.

fotojohni

noisyboy

Quote from: random on June 02, 2013, 01:46:33 AM
Thank you a lot for your help! Well, good to know that I shouldn't sharp in Camera Raw.
You know how I can get the DnxHD codec? Won't come with Adobe, will it ;-)

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Avid+dnxhd+codec ;)

No 4gb limit as long as you format to exfat and not fat32 dude.

noisyboy

Quote from: fotojohni on June 02, 2013, 02:05:12 AM
26 hours of rendering later... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnlooAejpZQ&feature=youtu.be  :P

Where are we posting these again?

Here dude: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5947.msg43817#msg43817

:)

Don't forget to embed it using the YouTube button so we can all view it on the forum ;)

Look forward to seeing it when I get home!

noisyboy

Quote from: 1% on June 02, 2013, 02:00:01 AM
6D is SD.. what 4gb limit?

fat32 is supposed to cut, I haven't tested it.

Sorry man - didn't see you replied.

random

Well,

Thanks for the Avid-Link. I feel dumb now ;) Same about the exfat format.
But the exported DNxHD-file is around 6 times larger than my "normal" exported h264, is that normal?
Moreover I was not able to open it in VLC or WMP.

btw with the newest Modules and autoexe I can record 1536x646/24p up to 2GB with the hacked mode off!
(I'm using 45mb/s exfat SDHC now)
Is it possible to transmit hdmi-out even with hacked mode on actually?

Thanks for all this work! damn it, guess all Nikon and Sony users are eating their shorts right now  ;D
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

noisyboy

Quote from: random on June 02, 2013, 06:13:26 AM
Well,

I feel dumb now ;)

lol! That wasn't my intention sorry :) Just couldn't resist!

The codec you render with all depends on what you want to do with it. Yeah the file sizes are large but it retains a great deal of information for a compressed/lossy codec but you shouldn't have much trouble playing it back inside of Premiere, Vegas, Avid,  Final Cut etc. Another great codec is the GoPro Cineform codec which you can also get for free (http://gopro.com/support/cineform-studio-software-support) but if you want to just render so you can simply play it back in a media player or upload it then you should go with mpeg4 h.264 or x.264. You can convert to this using the free software Mpeg Streamclip.

As a mod here I'd be setting a bad example if I continued this conversation and didn't suggest you research encoding elsewhere as this thread is for discussing ML and Raw shooting on the 6D not rendering (sorry man - we just want to keep the forum clean) ;)

You should have enough info to get you started there anyway and any questions regarding post processing should start here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=14.0

Cheers  8)

random

Haha don't worry, I'm gonna love to give that lmgtfy-link to others in future   :P

Thank you for all infos! I hope I've found my RAW workflow now, it's still transcoding.

someguy2

When i try to shoot 720p i get crop - i mean it recs everything inside border. How can i fix it? I have last build.

Audionut

The same reason I gave you on IRC, because 1280x720 is a crop of the entire recording frame.

@devs, is actually cropping the live view and resizing, to processor intensive?

a1ex

At 720x480, yes. At 180x240 it's better.

1%

720P in 720P will give bigger crop.

If you want to see what happens from too much CPU usage, look at 600D. Pink/magenta corruption.

I have to experiment with HDMI.. may be possible to kill other edmacs while doing HDMI or H264 even and free up some resources.

We have more "unused" memory too that has to be tapped (but can't be allocated because something took it and isn't using it)

Emanuel

I have been reading the forums for the past 2 weeks or so. I'd really like to thank the dedicated team of Developers , Moderators and users for the incredible communication and dedication to the art-form that brought us all together. I have been trying to spread the word as much as I can in regards to the latest RAW developments. Also have been testing the RAW performance on my 6D.  Thank you Noisyboy for a comprehensive installation guide. thank you 1% for your valuable input. And a1ex your coding is brilliant. I know that most of the team is in Europe, but if you end up in Michigan one day i'll buy you guys a beer or coffee  ;) 

I'll be glued to the forums , as they are more interesting then any TV series.

noisyboy

Quote from: Emanuel on June 02, 2013, 07:42:23 PM
I have been reading the forums for the past 2 weeks or so. I'd really like to thank the dedicated team of Developers , Moderators and users for the incredible communication and dedication to the art-form that brought us all together. I have been trying to spread the word as much as I can in regards to the latest RAW developments. Also have been testing the RAW performance on my 6D.  Thank you Noisyboy for a comprehensive installation guide. thank you 1% for your valuable input. And a1ex your coding is brilliant. I know that most of the team is in Europe, but if you end up in Michigan one day i'll buy you guys a beer or coffee  ;) 

I'll be glued to the forums , as they are more interesting then any TV series.

Cheers man :)

fotojohni

I don't know if this is on anyone's mind, but 12/10 bit raw would solve all of our problems.

http://francoismalan.com/2011/10/raw-12bit-or-14bit-lossy-or-lossless/  Take a look, basically, the only time you would ever, ever see a difference is if you were shooting like a total noob over exposing like 4 stops.  And even then, it's difficult to tell.  Then compare the reduction in size: http://web.forret.com/tools/video_fps.asp?width=1792&height=780&fps=24&space=raw&depth=10

Hope this isn't too crazy to do because it would pretty much make raw totally viable for us. 

Hey, I also finally figured how to use bitrate override successfully.  Getting Bitrate = 30 (just set max bitrate as the max bitrate of your card, h.264 is a variable bitrate algorithm by default, so don't load a config) and set qp = 5 for high detail scenes, no idea what benefit it has to grading, but I'll do a tutorial if you want.  Theoretically it will approach the detail of 8bit raw.

Virindi

This is a crap first real test I did last evening from my window. 24fps 1472 x 672 upscaled.
Video mode stabilised handheld with a 24 - 105mm, and x5 zoom so it's 525mm! (+ crop from raw recording)
The light was bad, ISO around 1000-1600 I think, pushed the shadows to +100 so noise reduction eats a lot of details but it's still pretty awesome considering the distance.
I have to try that with my 500mm :D with my tripod though... lol

Edit: the horse isn't sick or mentally challenged, he just wouldn't move.. :)

cineblah

Raw shooting is working fine for me, but I do have some strange issues: since I've installed ML on my 6D the red light keeps on blinking when my camera is on. I can use the camera, or shoot RAW video, but I was wondering if the continuous blinking is normal?

Another thing is that when I'm in the ML menu, and don't press any buttons for a few seconds, the camera goes back into live-view automatically. Is this normal? Thanks for any pointers!

n8ben

Quote from: noisyboy on June 01, 2013, 12:12:09 AM
you're welcome dude! How you enjoy it :)

Honestly ML is one of the best things Canon has going for them! lol! They should be subsidizing all of this and sending ML developers free bodies. In the mean time I plan on donating again. Very impressed with all the recent work.

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 04:18:09 PM
Yea, shouldn't have sold 50D... CF cameras are boss and have more memory too :( Who would have thought.. now you can probably sell your 50D for $1k

One thing I won't miss about the 50D is how hot it got when recording video. It was hard to let it go though. I am primarily a stills shooter, and I think the 50D is probably the best cannon APS-C camera after the 7D for stills (especially with ML).

Quote from: noisyboy on June 01, 2013, 12:23:35 AM
Challenge: go shoot some wonderful raw footage with your 6D and post it here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5947.msg43817;topicseen#msg43817

8)

Challenge Accepted! I haven't got a clue what the work flow for RAW video is. This should be interesting...

MACKY64

This is my first shoot !

24-105mm
1408x640 up to 1920x873