6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Entracte

Quote from: kgv5 on May 30, 2013, 07:23:24 PM
I doubt it, they probably thanking to God now that they didn't give 208Mhz bus or CF card reader to every camera. I suppose that writing speed would be the last thing they give with an update. :-\

It's true , you're right  ;)

A question for the people who already uses the RAW video on the 6D : At which definition do you think it getting better in quality than the h264 1080p ?

kgv5

I have made some comparison some time ago; h.264 with the best ML encoder setting 1080p (IPB, gop24, bitrate ~60-70) and 1536x640 raw upscaled about 125% I believe. It was couple days ago with a quite old build. I tried to grade h264 clip to look as similar to raw as I could.
In terms of general sharpness I would say it is the same, I was quite happy that resolution which gives continous shooting is not worst than best h264 setting. In terms of detail it is much much better. Leaves, grass, everything has more...details. And dynamic range of course is also much better, I could easly bring back the blue sky with some clouds (with h264 sky was white/grey). Colors generally are much better too of course.

So I would say that 1536x640 raw is better than 1080p h264 and it is continous. With the newest build even 1600x670 is quite usable, around 370 frames, can also go wider to 1680x630 and also have ~380-400 frames. I need to make such a comparison.

www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

noisyboy

Quote from: random on May 30, 2013, 07:43:06 PM
Awesome, now it's working. Thank you so much guys, gonna post some test video quiet soon!  8)

EDIT: Why don't I have live view while RAW recording, even though I put lv_Rec:RAW:ON ?
The first picture freezes until I stop the recording.

There is a mode called "HaCKeD mode" in the raw menu. This basically disables live view to squeeze some extra performance out of the camera to allow you to record (a little) longer. If you go into the menu and disable this you'll be able to use live view fine.

There is also a new module as of last night that will give you quite a bit more recording time courtesy of the awesome work of 1%.

You can find the new files by downloading the zip at the top of this page ([113] mememe [no raw con].zip). Then just replace the files on your sd card with the files in the zip (files in MODULE folder go into MODULE folder on the SD card).

If anyone struggles with it I shall update the zip on the first page again later on and will add a note when it's there.

kgv5

Guys
maybe someone has an idea for a workflow with RAW DNG's and frame blending?

I thought about it before but with no success (couldn't make twixtor to work properly - but maybe I set something wrong)
With the latest build I checked fps override with maximum raw resolution and this is what I get:

1816x760 (2,39:1) 18fps          450 frames
                               19fps          260 frames
                               20fps         180 frames

1816x682 (2,67:1)  20fps       315frames
                                19fps      570 frames
                                18fps      >>> continous <<<

So I thought that it could be useful when there is a need for maximum quality with no so much movement. When I used HDR with FPS override set to 35 had 17,5 fps and look really good. What would you say?

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 30, 2013, 09:44:06 PM
Guys
maybe someone has an idea for a workflow with RAW DNG's and frame blending?

I thought about it before but with no success (couldn't make twixtor to work properly - but maybe I set something wrong)
With the latest build I checked fps override with maximum raw resolution and this is what I get:

1816x760 (2,39:1) 18fps          450 frames
                               19fps          260 frames
                               20fps         180 frames

1816x682 (2,67:1)  20fps       315frames
                                19fps      570 frames
                                18fps      >>> continous <<<

So I thought that it could be useful when there is a need for maximum quality with no so much movement. When I used HDR with FPS override set to 35 had 17,5 fps and look really good. What would you say?

What was it that didn't work for you dude? You doing this in AE?

Entracte

Thank you very much for your response kgv5 . so, dispite the lower resolution it's already a big gain (details and DR) , good to hear !

1%

600D the 960x540 is better than 1080P H264. Even crappy 1280x592 for me beats QP1 H264. Sharpness a little... color a lot.

smoli4

Guys why does my live view image freezes once i start recording RAW ??

noisyboy

Quote from: smoli4 on May 31, 2013, 02:45:20 AM
Guys why does my live view image freezes once i start recording RAW ??

The answer lies only 5 posts before your question ;)

noisyboy

Updated zip on page one again with tonights build.

Drewton

n8ben

Great job putting this together, especially the one stop shop zip file that you keep updated! It's been a while since I was using a beta ML and it was nice to get access to everything so easily. I'm really looking forward to following the development for my new 6D. I'm already impressed with the new to me bling menu.

As an aside I think it's funny that the 50D I just sold apparently now does better raw video than this new 6D!

kgv5

Quote from: n8ben on May 31, 2013, 03:37:30 PM
As an aside I think it's funny that the 50D I just sold apparently now does better raw video than this new 6D!

When people get bored with watching raw movies with leaves and flowers in bright day they will start to shoot at night - and that's where 6D really shines, don't forget that  ;)

1%

Yea, shouldn't have sold 50D... CF cameras are boss and have more memory too :( Who would have thought.. now you can probably sell your 50D for $1k

fotojohni

Quote from: 1% on May 31, 2013, 04:18:09 PM
Yea, shouldn't have sold 50D... CF cameras are boss and have more memory too :( Who would have thought.. now you can probably sell your 50D for $1k

Just luck of the draw.  50D is pretty absurd, also I think the price is going to level out after a few weeks.  Low light is same level as 5d mk ii.  But 6D is ridiculous, with raw it's pretty much a night vision camera.

I think when the 7D gets raw that it will be the real winner.

noisyboy

Quote from: n8ben on May 31, 2013, 03:37:30 PM
Great job putting this together, especially the one stop shop zip file that you keep updated!

you're welcome dude! How you enjoy it :)

Quote from: fotojohni on May 31, 2013, 11:19:57 PM
I think when the 7D gets raw that it will be the real winner.

Ha! Yeah - my 7D is sat in the corner looking very ashamed and sorry for itself right now  8)

DimonCJ

I have solved my problem by changing sd card. I was going through 2 to 8.5 steps on new card (Transcend 32 Gb cl10 fat32). Other steps (9-15) i have done on old one, Adata SDXC 64 gb UHS-I exfat. noisyboy, thank you for help!

Audiometers doesnt work on [113] H264CrashFix.zip, [113] Deleting.zip, but it has been working on ml for 1.1.2 from noisyboy archive. As well raw recording has stopped working after downloading a new version [113] Deleting.

1%

Turn on audio in canon menu or use wav. I just tested both and meters come on.

fotojohni

I was freaking out when I had an important shoot and audio wasn't working, took me a while to trouble shoot.  I think for the release candidate audio should default to on when you turn off and on the camera.

noisyboy

Quote from: DimonCJ on June 01, 2013, 12:51:13 AM
I have solved my problem by changing sd card. I was going through 2 to 8.5 steps on new card (Transcend 32 Gb cl10 fat32). Other steps (9-15) i have done on old one, Adata SDXC 64 gb UHS-I exfat. noisyboy, thank you for help!

Audiometers doesnt work on [113] H264CrashFix.zip, [113] Deleting.zip, but it has been working on ml for 1.1.2 from noisyboy archive. As well raw recording has stopped working after downloading a new version [113] Deleting.

Amazing! Glad to hear it and you're welcome (although I think it was uglydunking who suggested you use another card so I can't take all the credit). Version in the zip should be [113] NewRes [no raw con].zip as of this morning and haven't had trouble with it stopping dude. Sorry if I misunderstand you  :)

1%

Doesn't default to either on or off. Flush rate and wav do turn it off, they have to thus far.

fotojohni

yes i understand this.  The issue I have had is when you turn off raw and gop/flush the sound stays off.  Thus prompting noobs like me to scour the ML menu for a way to turn it back on.

random

Finally I figured out my RAW workflow now after a half of a day problems with AFX CS4 (32*) on a 64bit system. But now I can shoot almost endless in 1600x600 and even pushed up to 1920 it just looks astonishing in detail and colors.
Which settings in post are recommendable for RAW?

Should I sharp it more than usual (amount 25/radius 1,0/detail 25/mask 0) or better not?
How about saturation, and which white balance do you use? the automatic makes the purple-shift so I mostly take 5500 Kelvin if it's in sun light?

Exporting from AFX in losless .AVI or better in MJPEG what I read somewhere?
And from Premiere exporting normally into h.264 or what is the final codec?

questions over questions  ::)
thanks for help!
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

noisyboy

Quote from: random on June 01, 2013, 09:22:52 AM
Finally I figured out my RAW workflow now after a half of a day problems with AFX CS4 (32*) on a 64bit system. But now I can shoot almost endless in 1600x600 and even pushed up to 1920 it just looks astonishing in detail and colors.
Which settings in post are recommendable for RAW?

Should I sharp it more than usual (amount 25/radius 1,0/detail 25/mask 0) or better not?
How about saturation, and which white balance do you use? the automatic makes the purple-shift so I mostly take 5500 Kelvin if it's in sun light?

Exporting from AFX in losless .AVI or better in MJPEG what I read somewhere?
And from Premiere exporting normally into h.264 or what is the final codec?

questions over questions  ::)
thanks for help!

Hey man. You don't really want any sharpening inside of ACR at all as this brings out the moire and aliasing. I find that an unsharp mask inside of After Effects is more forgiving. That or if you are going to use it instead of unsharp mask  then I'd crank the mask slider up and just pull it back a tiny bit to tast

WB is something that is completely subjective to your scene. You can use the drop down menu to select something like Tungsten or Daylight or Cloudy etc. if you know the environment you were in then this is a good place to start and then again tweak to taste. When in doubt just look at skin tones. I pull the main temperature slider until it turns blue and the pull it back until it turns yellow and then split the difference so it's neither one or the other. Same again with tint. If there is something white in your scene then you can always use the WB dropper. Something I really want to see added is a feature that captures what would be the metadata and a bunch of other information regarding your scene (like a slate) that is burnt into the first frame of the video but I need someone smarter than myself to help me create it ;)

In regard to rendering this seems like you need to know a lot more about encoding in general as it depends if you want your export to be lossless at the expence of it being enormous in size and playing back on nothing or lossy which will be smaller in size and playback fine but introduce minor artefacts. You should probably google this or search the forum and research it more. If you want an editable codec that plays back great and retains a good amount of information then you can't go wrong with ProRes on a Mac or Avid DNxHD in Windows.

Hope this helps.