Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Quote from: kgv5 on May 26, 2013, 09:33:05 AM
Guys
correct me if I am wrong:

raw 720p is better than stock in terms of aliasing and moire because:
1) it is a crop from 1080p so the same moire and aliasing like stock1080p
2) canon stock 720p has more line skipping/orher processing (to make lower res with no crop) than stock 1080p so more aliasing/moire

Or maybe line skipping is the same and doesn't matter here, just upscaling? Did you make 720p raw and stock moire comparisons?

Hey man. You are right that it's a crop of 1920x1080 but remember that the crop comes from the already downsized 1920x1080 image and not from the 5472x3072 image the sensor could capture when shooting stills for example. So sadly - short answer is we get no reduction in moire or aliasing as the line-skipping still takes place (or at least that's my limited understanding of it).

I do find it interesting though the artifacts appears more in the raw image compared to h.264 and have thought for some time that this seem more apparent due to h.264 losing a bit of detail when encoding.

I'm completely speculating here of course but I guess the only way to know for sure is to capture the same scene twice - once with h.264 and once with raw. Then we could take the raw sequence and match the h.264 compression settings inside of encoding software on a computer and compress the raw footage there and compare the resulting file with the compressed image taken from the camera. If that makes sense?

smoli4

Quote from: noisyboy on May 27, 2013, 03:09:39 AM
match the h.264 compression settings inside of encoding software on a computer and compress the raw footage there and compare the resulting file with the compressed image taken from the camera. If that makes sense?

I am planning on doing that actually.
now about the crashes i was having, i had a few that were err 70, and a few that i didnt pay attention but i have all the logs tho'.

but the weirdest thing right now is that the image in LV freezes when i hit the Rec button. It happens only when recording RAW, and it returns to normal after i stopped the recording or the recording has ended.

noisyboy

Quote from: smoli4 on May 27, 2013, 12:04:29 PM
I am planning on doing that actually.
now about the crashes i was having, i had a few that were err 70, and a few that i didnt pay attention but i have all the logs tho'.

but the weirdest thing right now is that the image in LV freezes when i hit the Rec button. It happens only when recording RAW, and it returns to normal after i stopped the recording or the recording has ended.

Great! Post your results when you have them :
Re: the crashes - have you tried using the latest module? Think I might update the zip file with it as the older one which I originally included probably isn't as good as the later versions. Only thing stopping me is the coloured sprinkles of weird pixels issue but as soon as that fix is applied I'll change it over. Later versions are certainly more stable.

cthurst193

Hey Thanks for this Guide!!!

But I think I'll wait until the stable version is out.
Is there any kind of guess as to when it will be available?

noisyboy

Quote from: cthurst193 on May 27, 2013, 11:55:28 PM
Hey Thanks for this Guide!!!

But I think I'll wait until the stable version is out.
Is there any kind of guess as to when it will be available?

You're welcome  ;)

Sadly there is no way to guess this but to be fair. Latest versions are pretty damn solid - just up to you if you want to risk the install procedure.

1%

QuoteIs there any kind of guess as to when it will be available?

Same time as the year of the linux desktop.

cineblah

Noisyboy, thanks to you I was able to install ML on my 6D on a Mac!

For anyone who wants to try it on a Mac:
The only difference seems to be step 11: on a Mac you need to insert your card in your cardreader, download MacBoot, open it,  and select "DSLR Bootable" and then press "Prepare Card". That's it :)

Download MacBoot here: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macboot.html

If you're on Mountain Lion you also need the Mountain Lion fix: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macbootcommand.zip).

noisyboy

Quote from: cineblah on May 28, 2013, 01:55:42 AM
Noisyboy, thanks to you I was able to install ML on my 6D on a Mac!

For anyone who wants to try it on a Mac:
The only difference seems to be step 11: on a Mac you need to insert your card in your cardreader, download MacBoot, open it,  and select "DSLR Bootable" and then press "Prepare Card". That's it :)

Download MacBoot here: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macboot.html

If you're on Mountain Lion you also need the Mountain Lion fix: http://www.zenoshrdlu.com/macboot/macbootcommand.zip).

Great :) Glad to help! And thanks for the Mac tips. I'll add to the guide ;)

ManixLiquid

NoisyBoy, I was wondering if you will add the proper settings in your guide for Encorder (Bit Rate, InitPQ, flush rate, gop size, etc) during normal shooting. Also, how do we setup ALL-IN and IPB mode in ML.

Thanks.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

noisyboy

I take it you mean when shooting h.264? I dont think that's  relavant to the installation or raw shooting so I'll not add it but recomend you use the search function on the forum and check the documentation.

As for All-I etc there is no "normal setting" it's down to what you need and any of that is adjusted just in the canon menu anyway. If you search the forum then you'll get a better understanding of the ML Encoder menu from reading around.

1%

Just load a config (or autoload config at startup) and don't set bit rate or qp. Works for ALL-I and ipb. Gop will always be 1. You can make it write out how fast you want with flush rate (no audio).

RC is good, cbr is for fixed qp (then you set bit rate and qp to go over the config). vbr is meh.

Kathode-Ray

Hi Kraig,

Great thread! My 6D will arrive hopefully this week, I think installing ML will be the first thing I will do :-)

One problem i'm having: I get an error 'unexpected end of archive' when I open your RAR (from post #2) with WinRar, and I can only see the two Canon firmware files inside.

Ray
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

noisyboy

random

Habe ML  und 1.1.3 installiert und auch die letzten Module genommen ("Try this one.zip").

Möchte ich jetzt aber Module laden, kommt folgendes:

"Unloading module...

[i ] props    at: 0x00B2A5BC
[i ] cbr        at: 0x00B2A2E0"

Und der Display friert ein. Kamera ist nur durch Battery-Reset wieder zum Laufen zu kriegen.

Was mach ich falsch?
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

1%

will check unloading again. working out other kinks.

noisyboy

Quote from: random on May 29, 2013, 11:02:02 PM
Habe ML  und 1.1.3 installiert und auch die letzten Module genommen ("Try this one.zip").

Möchte ich jetzt aber Module laden, kommt folgendes:

"Unloading module...

[i ] props    at: 0x00B2A5BC
[i ] cbr        at: 0x00B2A2E0"

Und der Display friert ein. Kamera ist nur durch Battery-Reset wieder zum Laufen zu kriegen.

Was mach ich falsch?

Hallo! So erging es mir, wenn ich ein neues Modul mit einem alten Autoexec.bin.

Anstelle der Verwendung von "try this one" versuchen Sie die Dateien hier http://ge.tt/api/1/files/1YdeGzh/0/blob?download

Danke!  8)

Kathode-Ray

This one works fine, thanks!

All files are there, now only my 6D has to arrive :-)

Ray
6DmkII | M50 | M || AT-X 16-28 | 24-70 2.8 VC | 24-105 4.0L | 70-200 4.0L IS || 35 2.0 IS | 45 1.8 VC | 100 2.0 | 135 2.0 || 11-22 | 18-55 | 55-200 | 22 | 28 Macro || Metz 58 AF-2 | Røde Videomic Pro

noisyboy

Quote from: Kathode-Ray on May 30, 2013, 08:31:16 AM
This one works fine, thanks!

All files are there, now only my 6D has to arrive :-)

Ray

Excitiiiing! Eek  ;D

Entracte

Hello all ,

Do you know if the 6D can take full advantage of an UHS-1 SD card ? Or the true limit is 40mb/s for any type of cards ?

Thank you ;)

kgv5

Theoretically it can write up to 50MB/s. Practically now we get average 37-39 with fastest UHS-I cards (45 and 95MB/s). Sometimes reaches 40-41 but for just a seconds.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

Entracte

Thank you for your answer kgv5,  so in fact maybe 40mb/s is the Bus card limit and if it's true we have no really hope to go with higher resolution ?

Maybe it's software limiting and a Canon firmware update will allow to fully benefit from the 95mb/s card ?

Anyway , we are lucky because the 6D seems to have the faster Sd card slot in the Canon line (40 MB/s vs 20MB/s for the 600d/60d)

kgv5

Quote from: Entracte on May 30, 2013, 07:07:34 PM
Maybe it's software limiting and a Canon firmware update will allow to fully benefit from the 95mb/s card ?

I doubt it, they probably thanking to God now that they didn't give 208Mhz bus or CF card reader to every camera. I suppose that writing speed would be the last thing they give with an update. :-\
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

random

Quote from: noisyboy on May 30, 2013, 02:18:17 AM
Hallo! So erging es mir, wenn ich ein neues Modul mit einem alten Autoexec.bin.

Anstelle der Verwendung von "try this one" versuchen Sie die Dateien hier http://ge.tt/api/1/files/1YdeGzh/0/blob?download

Danke! 

Awesome, now it's working. Thank you so much guys, gonna post some test video quiet soon!  8)

EDIT: Why don't I have liveview while RAW recording, even though I put lv_Rec:RAW:ON ?
The first picture freezes until I stop the recording.
EOS 6D  -  EOS 650D  -  EF 24-105mm/4 IS L  -  Sigma 50mm/1,4 EX  -  Kenko 1,4x MC4 DGX

DontDropIt

If I were to install ML on my 6D, how would I uninstall it if I decided that I did not want it?