6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on May 26, 2013, 12:11:07 AM
Is the 5d mark ii and mark ii limited with SD cards (excluding CF cards)? 

Yes.  The SD slot is limited to around 20MB/s.

myke

Thank you for the topic, this is exactly what I've been looking for. I'll give it a try soon :)

Also - if you shoot RAW video like this, do the frames count towards the camera shutter count or is the shutter open during the whole recording process?

evoxio

Huge thanks, Noisyboy! Everything has worked perfectly. You're a champion.

I've been using marten's RAWanizer to strip out the DNGs and it makes batch-processing many shots much easier:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5557.0

I'm noticing a couple things about the resulting footage:

• - The moire and aliasing problems the 6D is notorious for are unfortunately substantially worse. Example: http://i.imgur.com/IN3HhgQ.jpg As a result of this, chromatic aberration also seems to be especially more noticeable
  • - The DNGs are about 1-1.5 stops darker than the viewfinder would suggest when you're recording. Thus, you have to boost the exposure in your RAW processor, which can introduce a lot of noise.
  • - And, I'm surprised I haven't seen much talk about this problem, but there are sudden color shifts that occur when objects enter/leave the frame in the scene (almost like somewhere there is an auto-lighting-corrector running). This problem has caused most of my shots to be unusable. You can see a subtle example of it at 1:20 here when the people walk in front of the lens (watch the color of the sky): https://vimeo.com/66480704

Anyone know of something to fix that last problem - is there a discussion going on about it somewhere that I'm missing?

1%

I think the last problem is white balance... I was shooting and every time a cab drove by the image shifted to blue.

I set uniwb now.. haven't seen it but haven't tested very hard.

evoxio

I think I've figured it out. I took a shot with a particularly bad instance of color-shifting problems and processed the DNG files with all of the settings sliders set to neutral in Camera RAW and there was no color-shifting. So, I think the root of the problem is how the settings sliders in Camera RAW (like Clarity, Highlights and Shadows) dynamically adjust how they affect an image based on the content of the image. This isn't a problem when it comes to editing still images because the content of the image isn't changing - but with video, it is. I'm going to experiment a little more and see if it's maybe just one of the settings sliders that acts this way...

1%

Also if you set AWB  in camera raw for each shot because of the pink cast, could that change it going along with it processing every image differently?

evoxio

Correct. It's definitely this type of problem that causes the color shifting. So far, I've tested auto-white-balance and clarity and they both dramatically cause the color shifting - meaning that their effect on the image is dependent on the content of the image (in other words, a pixel with the exact same color value in different areas of the image will be color-shifted in different ways, depending on the other pixels around it). This is the problem we need to avoid. I'm testing the other settings...

1%

This happened to rawanizer too? I thought it used ufraw or dcraw. I batch processed with the newest ACR as a photo when I saw it.

Batch processing this way is irritating but resizing appears better.

noisyboy

Quote from: evoxio on May 26, 2013, 04:37:43 AM

• - The DNGs are about 1-1.5 stops darker than the viewfinder would suggest when you're recording. Thus, you have to boost the exposure in your RAW processor, which can introduce a lot of noise.

You're welcome! Just so you know - raw histogram is available in the histogram sub menu too! That said - I don't think I've even had a chance to use it yet. I assume this works with raw_rec too?

xNiNELiVES

Does picture profile not effect raw video like the raw format for pictures?

With 1920x840 requiring 55mb/s do you guys think refinements can make it sustainable without having to let the buffer load? 5mb/s isn't too much less.

Edit: now rereading I am appalled that 1536 by 600 resolution files are apparently maximally capable. I will NOT be shooting in ******* lesser resolution than 720p. There has to be reworks to a higher resolution. I just saw above that 1920x840 requires 55mb/s, 6d having an SD card write speed of 50 mb/s. So aren't we pretty close? Unless the 50mb/s isn't an effective write speed and its less than that... I'm so mad....

evoxio

After some testing, it seems like the luma/color shifting problem in ACR can be caused by modifying nearly any of the settings sliders.

Here's a particularly bad example (watch the luma of the building in the background):
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1keq-qyTGDNT21mR0hmWVFFc2s/edit?usp=sharing

I've opened up a separate thread to continue the discussion about the issue here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5710.0

kgv5

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on May 26, 2013, 07:10:09 AM
. I will NOT be shooting in ******* lesser resolution than 720p. There has to be reworks to a higher resolution.

But 1280x720 with 2,35:1 spect ratio is 1280x544, so  1500x600 is little bit more in fact. Actually you can shoot 1280x720 continously if you prefer 16:9.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

kgv5

Guys
correct me if I am wrong:

raw 720p is better than stock in terms of aliasing and moire because:
1) it is a crop from 1080p so the same moire and aliasing like stock1080p
2) canon stock 720p has more line skipping/orher processing (to make lower res with no crop) than stock 1080p so more aliasing/moire

Or maybe line skipping is the same and doesn't matter here, just upscaling? Did you make 720p raw and stock moire comparisons?
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

myke

Does anyone know the answer, please? :) I suppose the second option is correct, but just to be sure.
Quote from: myke on May 26, 2013, 02:22:36 AM
Also - if you shoot RAW video like this, do the frames count towards the camera shutter count or is the shutter open during the whole recording process (just like when recording normally)?

Regarding the SD cards, here is a little test I stumbled upon: http://www.gavtrain.com/?p=2617

nanomad

RAW video is just like standard video as far as the shutter is concerned, so you get no shutter movment at all
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

smoli4

Quote from: 1% on May 24, 2013, 10:43:52 PM
Sounds like lv_rec
i guess it is.
when i just replace the autoexec.bin and module folder to the newest build, i cant find the start stop recording for RAW.. and i cant find anywhere where you could choose a lower resolution..

1%

Modules in ML folder... raw_rec has to load and its in the movie menu.

xNiNELiVES

smoli4

Thanks i was dropping the module folder unto the root
pretty nice results with a sandisk extreme 45mb card,, getting all the good stuff of raw video :D
during recording it does 38-39mb\s
and would you like me to upload the crash logs?

1%

Which crash was it?

H264 is fixed - patches not applied
Sometimes get an allocate single chunk timeout... its intermittent, not sure why. Doesn't do anything but poo a crash log onto your card.

noisyboy

Edit: now rereading I am appalled that 1536 by 600 resolution files are apparently maximally capable. I will NOT be shooting in ******* lesser resolution than 720p. There has to be reworks to a higher resolution. I just saw above that 1920x840 requires 55mb/s, 6d having an SD card write speed of 50 mb/s. So aren't we pretty close? Unless the 50mb/s isn't an effective write speed and its less than that... I'm so mad....

Dude - can we just remind you that the Devs are working their asses off in their free time to give you what you already have. Please be patient and keep it polite. Thanks :)

OriginalClone

Does picture profile not effect raw video like the raw format for pictures?

With 1920x840 requiring 55mb/s do you guys think refinements can make it sustainable without having to let the buffer load? 5mb/s isn't too much less.

You're very ungrateful.  Why don't you do it yourself?

N/A

Quote from: noisyboy on May 26, 2013, 09:31:34 PM
Dude - can we just remind you that the Devs are working their asses off in their free time to give you what you already have. Please be patient and keep it polite. Thanks :)
Not to mention, ML is absolutely free. Even if it was a for-profit project, would still be 100% worth it.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: noisyboy on May 26, 2013, 09:31:34 PM

Yeah I'm not mad at them.  I understand they're working hard, it just angers me than canon didn't place a CF card slot in the 6D.

noisyboy

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on May 26, 2013, 10:44:56 PM
Yeah I'm not mad at them.  I understand they're working hard, it just angers me than canon didn't place a CF card slot in the 6D.

Cool  8)