6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noisyboy

Quote from: neofg on May 23, 2013, 01:49:46 PM
Here a (bad quality) first test with 600D. It's very impressive to look at sharpness, detail and gamma with this format. I shoot max 42 frames at 25 fps with my 30 MB/s Class 10 SD...

Nice work but this is the 6D thread buddy  ;) 600D and raw thread here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5494.0

Thanks.

noisyboy

Okay so I modified the guide as I realized that I'd instructed to make the card bootable before setting the bootflag which isn't necessary so follow the guide again (I have edited it already) and see how you get on.

Cheers  8)

ManixLiquid

Crap. I installed ML on the 1.1.3 firmware. The camera doesn't seem to have any issues. So I just have to uninstalled ML, downgrade to 1.1.2 firmware and re-install ML, right?
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

noisyboy

Quote from: ManixLiquid on May 24, 2013, 03:50:35 AM
Crap. I installed ML on the 1.1.3 firmware. The camera doesn't seem to have any issues. So I just have to uninstalled ML, downgrade to 1.1.2 firmware and re-install ML, right?

Hmm... did it allow you to set the bootflag while running 1.1.3?

Was your camera running 1.1.3 at the time I mean or did you install on 1.1.2 then upgrade. Odd coz I don't think you should be able to set bootflag on 1.1.3

ManixLiquid

Oddly enough, I installed the boot lag on 113. I had ML on 112 previously. So I uninstalled ML before upgrading the firmware to 113. Then boot lag the sd on 113, format card, put lastest 6d ML bin, and it worked. Beside the camera freezing/jamming at random when recording videos, there's was no other problems.

I now uninstalled ML and the camera seems to be fine. I'll downgrading to 112 when battery is fully charged.
BlackMagic Camera & Canon EOS 6D w/ Zeiss Distagon 35mm & 50mm, Sigma 10mm-20mm.

ManixLiquid

Come to think about it, it's possible that I uninstalled ML improperly before upgrading to 1.1.3. I think I formatted the card but I didn't press Q to format card + remove ML. Might be why I was able to boot lag ML on 1.1.3?

xNiNELiVES

Since I'm new here I'd like to get this straight:
-Does the Canon 6D support Raw video at 24p with the 5D Mark III and II?
-Does the video support sound, and is sustainable for minutes straight or until a 4gb cap?
-I thought ML hasn't finished developing for the Canon 6D?
-In the alpha versions of ML for the 6D is time lapse shooting supported?

DimonCJ

I follow to new instruction without using EOSCard and on step 7 have an old trouble - "Update file cannot be found". Or you update something in archive?

noisyboy

Quote from: DimonCJ on May 24, 2013, 06:21:49 AM
I follow to new instruction without using EOSCard and on step 7 have an old trouble - "Update file cannot be found". Or you update something in archive?

Hmmm... At the moment I'm stumped dude. I just tried again using the exact same steps and the exact same zip file and it works fine. Let me have a chat with one of the Devs and I'll try and get back to you asap. Thanks.

noisyboy

Quote-Does the Canon 6D support Raw video at 24p with the 5D Mark III and II?

Yes but not yet up to 1080p but still very good.

Quote-Does the video support sound, and is sustainable for minutes straight or until a 4gb cap?

Sound isn't embedded in video as it's essentially a sequence of raw images but there are workarounds.

Quote-I thought ML hasn't finished developing for the Canon 6D?

It hasn't been anywhere near finished yet - you install this completely at the risk of damaging your camera.

Quote-In the alpha versions of ML for the 6D is time lapse shooting supported?

Yes - Pretty much everything is in there.

noisyboy

Quote from: ManixLiquid on May 24, 2013, 04:55:19 AM
Come to think about it, it's possible that I uninstalled ML improperly before upgrading to 1.1.3. I think I formatted the card but I didn't press Q to format card + remove ML. Might be why I was able to boot lag ML on 1.1.3?

Even if you formatted the card it would not have removed the bootflag - just made the card itself unbootable. To remove the bootflag is a completey different process so I'd say you are fine :)

noisyboy

Quote from: DimonCJ on May 24, 2013, 06:21:49 AM

What does the file structure look like on the card dude? Root director should display:

[ML]
6D-112.fir
autoexec.bin

smoli4

Cool thread, thanks for all the help :D
i get only 60 frames of RAW with 45mb/s 32gb sd, i guess i gotta get the 95mb/s card for little more frames, or could a fast card like 95mb/s record without stoping?

and one more question, how do i allocate more then 152mb for the raw video file?

noisyboy

Quote from: smoli4 on May 24, 2013, 01:47:34 PM
Cool thread, thanks for all the help :D
i get only 60 frames of RAW with 45mb/s 32gb sd, i guess i gotta get the 95mb/s card for little more frames, or could a fast card like 95mb/s record without stoping?

At what resolution/framerate etc? Continuous recording is only at lower resolutions.

Quoteand one more question, how do i allocate more then 152mb for the raw video file?

Not entirely sure what you mean mate?

smoli4

Quote from: noisyboy on May 24, 2013, 02:38:02 PM
At what resolution/framerate etc? Continuous recording is only at lower resolutions.

Not entirely sure what you mean mate?
im recording at at 1920x962, i get 75 frames if i go 720.
when the raw video starts recording it says:
Allocating memory
Allocated 152 MiB
and it creates this ~150mb raw file..

1%

Right now you can't get more than that MB amount, yet. Lower res should be continuous.... for me 1320x5soemthing keeps going. Look at the MB/s indicator and see if your card can do that.

smoli4

im getting 30mb/s from my card, ill need to check out with a different ML build for the lower resolutions

1%

They should be there, just pick different aspect ratios. 30MB is about what I get.

smoli4

Quote from: 1% on May 24, 2013, 09:43:02 PM
They should be there, just pick different aspect ratios. 30MB is about what I get.

cool, thanks. i find that if i set frame skip = 2, instead of 1, it start recording without stopping at 1920x480 :P

1%

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: noisyboy on May 24, 2013, 06:45:21 AM
Yes but not yet up to 1080p but still very good.

Sound isn't embedded in video as it's essentially a sequence of raw images but there are workarounds.

It hasn't been anywhere near finished yet - you install this completely at the risk of damaging your camera.

Yes - Pretty much everything is in there.

Thanks man, is there a reputation system on these forums, I'd like to give you some!

So does a 95mb/s card allow for unlimited shooting since I read up that taking RAW video utilizes only 72mb/s? Also I heard that the T3i or 600D only supports 21mb/s no matter what SD Card you use. Does the 6D have these limitations or does it operate the same as a 5D Mark II and 5D Mark III? You say it works almost up to 1080P is that the same case with the 5d's?

Anyways since I have a 6D, I'd like to help with testing as much as I can. I want to sort of pay back in a way by helping. All I need is guidance. Is the current version somewhat stable?

1%

Stable enought... best bank for buck right now is sandisk 45MB/s.. the pro 95 probably gives you like 1 or 2 mb more at best. Bus is limited to 50MB/s

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: 1% on May 25, 2013, 10:10:09 PM
Stable enought... best bank for buck right now is sandisk 45MB/so the she pro 95 probably gives you like 1 or 2 mb more at best. Bus is limited to 50MB/s

Is the 5d mark ii and mark ii limited with SD cards (excluding CF cards)? 

What would the update procedure be with magic lantern? Just remove it completely by formating the card and reinstalling with updated the software?

Would a 2.35:1 aspect ratio allow unlimited shooting? (1920x817)

noisyboy

Stable enought... best bank for buck right now is sandisk 45MB/s.. the pro 95 probably gives you like 1 or 2 mb more at best. Bus is limited to 50MB/s

+1 on the 45MB/s Extremes. No need for the Pro at all. I bought a card that is twice as fast as the Extreme and it actually performs slower on a 6D. Weird huh!

(that wasn't something I was explaining to you 1% - you've heard enough of my whining about this already) ;)

noisyboy

Is the 5d mark ii and mark ii limited with SD cards (excluding CF cards)? 

What would the update procedure be with magic lantern? Just remove it completely by formatting the card and reinstalling with updated the software?

Not entirely sure what you are asking here dude sorry - you'll have to elaborate on both questions for my tiny mind. In regards to updating ML, do you have it installed already? If so and you want to use the latest build it's just a case of replacing (by copying and pasting) a few files to the SD Card.

Quote from: xNiNELiVES on May 26, 2013, 12:11:07 AM
Would a 2.35:1 aspect ratio allow unlimited shooting? (1920x817)

Not at that res at the moment but new discoveries are being made all the time by the mods so it might happen/might not.

Highest res continuous I have found so far (without compromising to much vertical resolution) is 1536x640 which I guess is 2.4:1