6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Freemountain

Ich wechsel wieder zu Englisch, damit der Rest auch was davon hat ;)

Walter suggested, that I use an EXIF tool to read all my EXIF files and it showed me a exposure compensation of 0 even if it said 1.7 in the windows exif exposure value (right click on image --> properties --> details). As long as the latter is not 0 luminance HDR can produce good HDR, when it says 0 (in M mode) I get bad results. Trial of photomatix worked with both. I dont want to discuss software issues here but was just wondering why these exposure values differ in M mode in my EOS 350D. It also reads 0 in the EXIF tool under exposure compensation but reads something other than 0 during bracketing in the windows properties of the file. Oh man, this is gettin complicated...

Walter Schulz

Well, that's a software issue not related to ML. If you find out which exif tag is used by Luminance HDR you have to address the tool's programmer(s) to solve the problem.
There is another option: Change exif values to match the tool's needs. Some scripting involved but possible.

Ciao
Walter

Freemountain

No, actually I was no longer referring to the issues with HDR building but rather to why I don't get exposure values in my EXIF when using the M mode...

okuri71

Hi guys, just popped-in to say that you made a great work. Keep going!

I followed the install guide of noisyboy and all went well.

Now I'll try to understand the nightlybuilds.

Ciao

noisyboy

Hey Magic Lanterners! So the last few months have been mental-crazy for me as I'm lucky enough to have successfully left my day job and gone freelance into the film making bizniz (with a huge help form my Magic Lantern pimped Canon DSLR and the ML community along the way) but it's left me with very little time to keep up to date with the developments . I have every intention of getting back on here as much as I can so I can geek out and learn with the rest of you but in the meantime it would be great if someone could take a look at the guide I wrote on the first page of this thread and see if anything needs updating. It just makes more sense when there is probably a lot of stuff I have missed and will take me a good week or so of solid forum time to get up to speed so if anyone wants to check it out and let me know if there are any unnecessary steps or bits that will make life easier then I can update it and of course I'll credit you in the thread accordingly. Thanks a lot guys and love to the Devs & Mods for still keeping this place the best community on the internet x  8)

okuri71

Hi!

Aboute the zipped file to download for installing ML, I was wondering if the 6D000113.FIR is necessary in the "Files to run Magic Lantern on 6D Firmware 1.1.3" folder to be copied on the SD card?

It's already in the "Canon 1.1.3 Firmware" folder.

Thanx

Walter Schulz

2nd post on the first page contains detailed instructions. Please read and act as described.
At the time now: You are doing it wrong.

AeroGirl

Over the week end I got my new Canon 6D, lovely camera, and a nice upgrade from my 60D with it's Full Frame sensor.

Now I love Magic Lantern on my 60D, I use it mainly for the Intervalometer, and advanced bulb timer etc for time lapse photography.

I was hoping to put ML onto my 6D, and looking at the instructions you need to downgrade the firmware to v1.1.2 first, which I have no problem with, except that my Camera has come with v1.1.4 of the 6D firmware.  From my searching it appears that v1.1.4 has yet to be released by Canon, I have been unable to located that version of the firmware anywhere to download, so I am a little reluctant to downgrade to v1.1.2, since I will then not be able to go back to v1.1.4 until it is released officially.

So does anyone know how to backup the existing firmware, and also if ML will work with version 1.1.4?

l_d_allan

Quote from: AeroGirl on March 03, 2014, 09:13:51 AMFrom my searching it appears that v1.1.4 has yet to be released by Canon, I have been unable to located that version of the firmware anywhere to download

Very interesting. I've asked about firmware 1.1.4 on the DPReview sub-forum that is specifically for 1D, 5d, 6d full-frame models.

It also might be worthwhile to check directly with Canon tech support.

Marsu42

Quote from: AeroGirl on March 03, 2014, 09:13:51 AM
So does anyone know how to backup the existing firmware, and also if ML will work with version 1.1.4?

On cheap cameras like the 6d Canon usually releases only bugfix fw updates that addresses issues you'll most likely never ever encounter, like compatibility with the 200-400L in combination with gps near the south pole... look at the past fw changes to get an idea. Also ML most likely won't be updated to 1.14 very soon ever after fw release, so you'll have to downgrade to 1.13 anyway.

1%

I was hoping for a 5D3 equivalent firmware update. They really owe us the mirroring mode, even if we have to turn it on ourselves.

Marsu42

Quote from: 1% on March 03, 2014, 05:13:45 PM
I was hoping for a 5D3 equivalent firmware update.

And pigs can fly :-> ... my #1 one wishlist item would be to add af patterns fw code so we're not stuck with the "all or nothing" situation anymore.

1%

they only add that on the complex AF cameras, the only thing we got was the switchable AF depending on how you hold the camera. so gained nothing and lost af patterns.

Marsu42

Quote from: AeroGirl on March 03, 2014, 09:13:51 AM
except that my Camera has come with v1.1.4 of the 6D firmware.

I'm curious: Can you tell what has changed on the 1.1.4 6d fw? Thanks!

bookemdano

Hi all, a bit green still with all this but am picking things up fairly quickly. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping someone might help me with. For starters I've got a 6D, already have TL running on it just fine. Picked up a couple of Sandisk Extreme Plus 32GB, which are supposedly 80 MB/s cards. In another thread, someone here claimed to get really good results with them. Anyway, here are my questions:

1. For what I'm trying to do I would *really* like to get sound recorded along with the raw video on the 6D. From a bit of research it seems this is now possible using mlv_rec.mo along with mlv_snd.mo. However, when I try to add these modules (from the ZIP in the first post here: https://secure.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0) and enable them, when I reboot they show up as "err" and do not load. I also saw a compiled version of mlv_rec.mo on 1%'s bitbucket repo so I tried that one too, same result.

So I think I'm probably missing some crucial piece of knowledge here. I know mlv_rec works with TL on the 6D because I saw someone post about it: https://secure.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.msg96937#msg96937 but I am either not installing the correct module files or maybe I need a different build of TL? I have only tried the most recent one from 28 February.

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what I need to do to get mlv_rec and mlv_snd working with TL on my 6D. If I need to compile them, is there a "dummies" tutorial for that somewhere?

2. OK so I have no pipe dreams about what kind of continuous resolution I am going to be able to get. I know the 6D's SD controller is the limiting factor here. But I think I saw someone get 720p (1280x720 I assume) working continuously. My question is what if I choose a 4:3 aspect ratio? Should 1024x768 be possible continuous? Is it just based on the total number of pixels? So say for a given number of vertical lines (say 720) a 4:3 aspect ratio would require less write speed than a 16:9 AR? I mean this makes intuitive sense to me because there are less pixels involved. But I just wanted to make sure that I'm correct on that before I go assuming.

What about with the addition of audio (which I do not need any kind of fidelity on, if that is adjustable. I'm just recording a beep track that I need to be synchronized with the frames). With the 6D's limited SD controller should I be able to get 1024x768 raw along with audio continuously without dropping frames?

It's ok if no one knows that--I plan to experiment with it. Just wondering if others have tried to see what they could get continuous with audio.

Thanks a lot for any help/tips people can provide. And a big thanks to 1% for making this possible on the 6D.

1%

The mlv_rec/mlv_sound/autoexec all come as a package. If you take one from another build it may be old or not compatible. With any card that can do at least 40MB/s you should be able to pull of 1280x720 with sound.

QuoteIs it just based on the total number of pixels?

Its based on the data rate. Whatever you can fit into that ~40MB/s is good.

bookemdano

Quote from: 1% on March 08, 2014, 10:57:45 PM
The mlv_rec/mlv_sound/autoexec all come as a package. If you take one from another build it may be old or not compatible. With any card that can do at least 40MB/s you should be able to pull of 1280x720 with sound.

Thanks, 1%. I am showing more ignorance here but I thought the autoexec was the heart of TL vs. ML. So if I use the autoexec included with the mlv modules am I still using TL on my 6D? Or I guess to turn it into a practical question there is no problem using a ML autoexec with TL? Or are you saying I need to compile mlv somehow to work with your autoexec? Sorry for the pedantic question.

QuoteIts based on the data rate. Whatever you can fit into that ~40MB/s is good.
So 1024x768 should have a lower data rate than 1280x720 right? :)

1%

1024 should be less data.

what goes together is autoexec.bin + the sym file in the modules folder. Then you can load mlv_rec or mlv_snd up to the point where there are major changes and they become incompatible. If you use all of the files from the same zip you are pretty much good.

so for example you can load TL modules while running the ML nightly or vice versa if they are from around the same time. but if you have a bin from 6 months ago and try to add new modules you might run into errors/crashes/incompatibilities

stu4084

Need a little help, I had to send my  6D into the factory with my lenses. When it came back ML would not work. Any ideas on what would have happened or what I need to do?

1%

stu4084

Quote from: 1% on March 14, 2014, 04:48:38 PM
redo the boot flag/install

So just do the whole process over, that is what your saying?
I'm guessing they reinstalled 1.1.3 while they had the camera.

Thanks.

1%

pretty much. until an installer can be made for 113.

Cloud_Walker

Hey guys, quick question now that I'm seriously considering RAW video for my day to day work...

Is it not possible to get a full field of view when shooting RAW at resolutions lower than 1080p?  In other words, if I want to match the field of view of regular h.264 footage, I would either need to zoom out or buy a wider lens - if I'm shooting RAW at, say, 720p - correct?

Thanks!
6D | 550D | 1000D

Mpist

Hi,
I saw that has been released a nightbuild of magic lantern but then there is no need to do the whole procedure to downgrade to 1.1.2 firmware ???
It's possible to install directly the nightbuild version?

Thanks

1%

there is an installer for 113 now. it booted up on my cam so no need to downgrade anymore.... until 114