6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

savange

Great work guys! One more question: How can I install this Magic Lantern-version on a second and a third SD-card? Do I have to do this steps again or do I have to repeat all steps from number 1? Thanks!

"By noisyboy:

8.5: Seriously, FORMAT YOUR SD CARD DUDE! Even if you are used to this whole Magic Lantern thing - just do it. It saves the risk of potential problems which I can't advise you how to fix.

9: From the zip in step one, extract the Canon 1.1.3 Firmware and place onto the route directory of your SD Card.

10: Put your SD Card back in your 6D and With a full battery, upgrade your cameras firmware to 1.1.3 as per the Canon 6D instruction manual. Once this is finished, power down camera and remover the SD Card.

11: From the zip in step 1, once again extract and run EOScard.exe. Check the EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK boxes and press save.

12: Navigate to your SD Card and delete (DON'T FORMAT) all the files you can see there.

13: From the zip in step 1, extract all of the files and folders contained within the "Files to run Magic Lantern on 6D Firmware 1.1.3" folder and drag them into the route directory of your SD Card.

14: Put the card back into you camera and switch on.

15: In "M" (MANUAL) shooting mode, power camera back on and hit the Trash button. Voila! Hello Magic Lantern Menu"

Walter Schulz

Freemountain

Has anybody any experience with 1%s updates from this thread?
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
They were recommended at the beginning of this thread but I never tried them. I mean, of course they are good, otherwise 1% would write them, but what are the improvements?

All builts for the 6D are broken is what I just learned in the chat. A friendly user helped me a bit with that link: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/jenkins
Can someone comment on that?

nefiwashere

Does anyone have the issue were you try to play video on camera and it freezes up. Have to do a battery pull.

1%

Yea, if you have a failed recording on the sd card like MVI_XXX.dat it will lock up the player, delete those

Kapuhy

Quote from: Freemountain on February 09, 2014, 03:44:13 PM
Has anybody any experience with 1%s updates from this thread?
https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads
I have been using the TL builds on 6D without major issues, just downloaded the one from Feb 8th and it seems ok as well.

shenriksson

Installed Feb08.6D113 version and it works nice. Very good instructions for installation, easy to follow the steps. I have been using ML for 550D some months now, and i missed ML in my 6D.

gcrook

Guys pardon me for asking pretty basic or off-topic stuff ,but i have some questions that are not very clear in this forum,or propably i can't find the right answers via a search.
Since i will be buying a 6d soon i would like to know the following.

What is the max live view 1:1 dng resolution and the max 5x crop resolution?  (dont care about continuous recording at this point) .Do i have selection of aspect ratios like my 550d?
No nightly builds being developed for example like my 550d?Are the basic features working mostly as far as ml raw and timelapse (intervalometer/ramping) is concerned?Are these available through tragic lantern only?
Will 6d be supported via nightly builds or possible future unified build?
Audio levels/gains/monitoring etc? (ths is pretty important for me for live events)

Sorry for hijacking the thread.

savange

Quote from: Walter Schulz on February 09, 2014, 02:05:51 PM
Step 11 to 15 will do.

Thanks, so I will do it to copy Magic Lantern on two more SD cards :)

@ 1%: Im interested in the technical aspekt and I'm only wondering: What is the reason we have to install an old firmware first and then installing the newer firmware for the 6D? I mean everything will be delted if I upgrading the firmware and then format the SD card. So why we have to do those additional steps? I'm sure there is a reason, but I'm only interested in that :) Thanks!

fish-head3

Hi

Am not a tech person. I have a 6D and think ML is great after playing with it on my 50d. I loaded it on my 6d and now the autofocus doesn't work.

Any suggestions please?

Many thanks

ilguercio

Send it over to me and i'll chuck it in the bin. I'll pay the postage.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Foley Productions

Just a suggestion from a total noob (to this material)...how about creating a (Locked) sticky and placing the install guide...possibly a RAW guide...and maybe listing of best cards...etc.   Although I have been lurking for the last few days going through the numerous/endless pages on development, it would be easier for us new folks to get the information that is neeeded - quckly.   With my insane schedule I very rarely ever get time to just cruise a forum...would be nice to have a quick spot to grab the latest...

...just my $.02

1%

Quote@ 1%: Im interested in the technical aspekt and I'm only wondering: What is the reason we have to install an old firmware first and then installing the newer firmware for the 6D?

Encryption.

QuoteI loaded it on my 6d and now the autofocus doesn't work.

Boot without a card in, try af, reset canon settings, try again. Otherwise check the settings (ML too) + key mappings. You could have changed shutter button behavior, etc.

fish-head3

Thanks 1% but no progress.

I cleared all the Canon settings. In MLI went to Shoot Preferences and put Use Autofocus to On. IS this what you were suggesting?

Any other thoughts?

fish-head3

Hi 1% - just an update - the autofocus won't work when the shutter is pushed halfway down. It will work when the AF-ON button is pushed. Any suggestions please?

1%

Yea, go into canon settings. There should be one I think custom function for setting the behavior of the shutter button... ie AF + AEL or AF only or AEL only.

fish-head3

Marsu42

Quote from: Kapuhy on February 11, 2014, 02:45:53 PM
I have been using the TL builds on 6D without major issues, just downloaded the one from Feb 8th and it seems ok as well.

I have been using TL on the 6d for quite some time, and recently switched back to ML now that the a working 6d port and nightlies are available again.

After some days or direct comparison, unless you need a specific TL feature I can only advise everybody to use the ML 6d build instead of TL - it's great 1% has done all this work and I'm very thankful for it, but there a simply a lot of quirks to crashes in the TL flavor that just don't happen with ML.

D6-2035

Quote from: Marsu42 on February 18, 2014, 06:49:28 AM
I have been using TL on the 6d for quite some time, and recently switched back to ML now that the a working 6d port and nightlies are available again.

After some days or direct comparison, unless you need a specific TL feature I can only advise everybody to use the ML 6d build instead of TL - it's great 1% has done all this work and I'm very thankful for it, but there a simply a lot of quirks to crashes in the TL flavor that just don't happen with ML.

OK, I followed this http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3904.50
and it works just fine. I copied the ML folder and autoexec.bin after downloading from http://builds.magiclantern.fm
to my card and now using ML.

motonerd

Quote from: 1% on May 26, 2013, 06:32:49 PM
Modules in ML folder... raw_rec has to load and its in the movie menu.

Hey guys.

Ive completed the tutorial thanks a lot however after copying the latest files to my SD card (copied and paste) I dont have the RAW video option where described. Sorry to be a nuisance, any ideas?

I found where to add modules but when I restart the camera, the Raw video module is throwing an error :/

Ignore my stupidity. was using the wrong module :P

Freemountain

I might report a bug, but am not yet sure about it: I loaded the latest ML release on my 6D last night and today I tried the advanced bracketing. It works fine but somehow EXIF data always reads 0 for the EV value. That causes issues in HDR pp then. Also when I now use the Canon bracketing or just different exposure values I get no value but 0 in the EXIF. Any hint on what could be wrong? I also bootet the camera with the set button to turn of ML but to no avail...
EDIT: Did some more research - it only works when I use the Av mode, not in M, eventhough that is what ML recommends. Av writes correct EXIF data. With my old 350D it also works perfect in M mode and gives me changes in EV value. Can somebody comment on that? Is it a 6D thing or did I ruin something with a TL version?

Walter Schulz

Which exif field are you talking about? Tag "Exposure Compensation"? This is zero for all my shots and PS CC, Photomatix, SNS-HDR are working fine.

Freemountain

As my EXIF is in german it says "Lichtwert" which translates as exposure value, probably the same thing, though. I worked with luminance HDR as an open source software and it obviously is dependent on the EXIF data. Nevertheless, I still am wondering why I get the exposure values with my 350D in all modes and why is M recommended in ML?

Walter Schulz

So etwas wie "teutsches EXIF" jibt es jar nuescht!
Lade Dir mal das Exiftool herunter, kopiere die Dateien, die untersucht werden sollen, in das Exiftool-Verzeichnis und fuehre
exiftool *.cr2 -ExposureCompensation
auf der Kommandozeile aus.
Dann kommt was wie
======== B01_0431.CR2
Exposure Compensation           : 0
======== B01_0432.CR2
Exposure Compensation           : 0
    2 image files read

raus. Wenn die Dateien von der 350D dort einen Wert ungleich 0 haben, hat Dein Tool ein leichtes Problem, das die mir bekannten Tools nicht haben.

Ciao
Walter