6D - Install guide and raw shooting.

Started by noisyboy, May 20, 2013, 04:07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laneo

Hi there,
I'm seeing the dual iso lines, but i can't get rid of them.
I'm on a mac. I'm using the last version of raw2dng (v0.13) to get my dng files.
When i drop the dng files to the last version of cr2hdr it says: "name".dng File not supported.
I tried creating the dng files using the last version of RAWMagic (beta7b). CR2HDR doesnt work with those dng files neither... i still get the .dng file not supported.
Am I missing any steps or it should be working ?
Maybe I should try the same steps on a PC ?
Thanks in advance

1%

Try a newer version of CR2HDR and beware... it overwrites the originals when converting DNGs.

laneo

Thanks for the tip 1%.
But i'm using the last one (for mac). I got it from here: https://bitbucket.org/a_d_/magic-lantern/downloads
I also tried with an older version. That one came with an installer, but it wont install.. it just hangs on "installing exif". (The newer version is only an app)
Maybe i should contact "a_d". But I don't know hoe to to that, and i didn't found any thread about CR2HD for mac neither.

Today I tried dropping one dmg to a CR2HDR (the one linked on the DUAL ISO thread) on a PC. It only created a an empty "tmp.txt" file.
Any ideas ?

fluxo

Quote from: 1% on September 09, 2013, 04:05:05 PM
Hmm... well they use different boot methods. It doesn't always show card write protect, what it does do is not turn on until I put the card in right. Needs a battery pull between tries.

cant see what is the problem, after formatting the sd card and copy ML to the card it works great again.
but then after sometimes it happens again.

1%

Try a newer CR2HDR... look in the dual ISO thread.

Heh, I don't have to recopy anything to get going again, just the the card to activate the WP/card sense switch.

Smesh

Hi guys!  Keep up the great work. :)

I have the second to last version of ML installed successfully on my 6D and have been playing a bit.  Do I need to do the install of the new version completely from scratch or can I just replace the files on the card with those from the new version? 

I'm also having trouble figuring out what is the highest stable resolution I can shoot raw if I actually want to use this on a production, or is it not quite ready for that yet?  I've tried filming, but when switching to RAW, it just keeps crashing, so I guess I need to lower the resolution quite a bit.  I'm using Sandisk Extreme 45Mb/s cards. 

Thanks guys!

fluxo

Quote from: Smesh on September 11, 2013, 05:55:32 AM
Hi guys!  Keep up the great work. :)

I have the second to last version of ML installed successfully on my 6D and have been playing a bit.  Do I need to do the install of the new version completely from scratch or can I just replace the files on the card with those from the new version? 

I'm also having trouble figuring out what is the highest stable resolution I can shoot raw if I actually want to use this on a production, or is it not quite ready for that yet?  I've tried filming, but when switching to RAW, it just keeps crashing, so I guess I need to lower the resolution quite a bit.  I'm using Sandisk Extreme 45Mb/s cards. 

Thanks guys!

you just need to replace the files on the card.
my stable version in 16:9 is 1280x720p
cheers

misterkofa

I hope this isn't a dumb question but I've scrolled through this post and couldn't find a definite answer. My 6D came already with 1.1.3 on it. Do I downgrade to 1.1.2? Still not 100% clear on how to do this.

rino wang

hi all, just wanna share some test from raw shoot with 6d
1536 x 656 raw video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4pqDcudVbQ

i used the very first post from noisyboy and had some issued but i think it's worthed to try because the image is so good....

thanks all for the good work, best regards...

RTI

Hello,

Can ML for 6D in the current state be considered stable for reliable usage? I know a lot of work has been done, and developers constantly improve stuff. I'm not planning to shoot raw, but I'm interested in features like zebra and focus peaking for video. I'm planning to shoot an event soon, so have to be sure about my camera.
Canon 5DIII| Sigma 35/1.4|T 24-70/2.8 VC| Tamron 70-200/2.8 VC USD

jarandov

have you guys any ideas when it might come a stable version?

1%

QuoteDo I downgrade to 1.1.2?

I posted a 113 installer somewhere and have no feedback on whether it worked or not.

Quotehave you guys any ideas when it might come a stable version?

Uhm... you get to decide what version is stable. The main problems I have right now:

1. Sometimes loading modules on startup causes err 70 from memory *mainly when changing bin/modules for first 3 boots.
2. Sometimes H264 doesn't configure and stops writing causing the camera to reboot.

Quotebut I'm interested in features like zebra and focus peaking for video.

Biggest bug, bigger than those is user error and refusal to RTFM.

a432511

First, thanks to the devs. I am a software engineer and understand how time consuming a project like this is.

I was running Magic Lantern on the T3i. Loved it. Sold the T3i to upgrade to the 6D and here I am!

Got ML running and started to play. I only recently discovered shooting video in RAW. My questions are:

1. What is the max resolution for RAW video continuous w/ Live View disabled?
2. What is the max resolution for RAW w/ Live View? - I find it hard to film without seeing what I am filming :-) How are others doing this?
3. Can I record audio along with RAW video? -  I have read that this is not possible in earlier posts or other threads, but I wanted to see if that has changed.
4. Not RAW related at all, but is audio monitoring working while recording standard h264 footage?

I know I can just go and test this stuff, but figured I would ask for the sake of other lurkers who are contemplating using ML. There was a spreadsheet that a1ex posted a link to, but it appears outdated.

Finally, the install process was really well laid out! Thanks for putting the time in!

Cheers,

Adam

1%

Quote4. Not RAW related at all, but is audio monitoring working while recording standard h264 footage?

As of yesterday. But I'm still testing audio + memory changes. Should be less crashy now, you can try it if you want to build yourself.

a432511

Quote from: 1% on September 17, 2013, 10:40:20 PM
As of yesterday. But I'm still testing audio + memory changes. Should be less crashy now, you can try it if you want to build yourself.

Awesome! I will definitely do that. I have a slick little linux laptop that I am going to try to get the codebase setup on.

a432511

Quote from: 1% on September 17, 2013, 10:40:20 PM

Also, are you literally going bit by bit to find some of these registers for functionality? What does your iterative process look like as you develop these features?

CameraMike

First off I want to say a big thank you to noisyboy and also to 1%.

I'm not here to moan and complain about how things are not working right.. But rather to share my results and have you guys take a look to see if they look decent or not.  I had a hell of a time getting things rolling but here I am , figured things out on my own lol... lets hope!  I had issues with my first memory card , dual ISO was on by default and was driving me crazy trying to figure out why my video had lines in it and looked like I was on an acid trip. 

Anyway so I got a perfect match between raw size and SD card, Shooting at 1600 x 640. 

I did a little side by side with Raw and Raw off using default all-i h264 stock.

After my battle trying to get raw working on my D6 I'm not really blown alway by my results. 
I'm including a link with the raw file out of camera and the mov out of camera.  along with a quick edit with side by side and a crop.

Quick note. I used to have an amazing camera kit.  some fantastic L glass and zeiss, a Canon 5D Mark III and a handful of 600EX RT speeds but it was stolen from me and due to hard times I had to go the direction of the 6D... I'm not looking for Mark III results just trying to put together some nice videos for myself and others to enjoy.

anyway, thanks again to all that put hard work into making this happen on the 6D and across the canon line.  If i got this working using this guide anyone can !..

https://mega.co.nz/#!EAAxCDoK!DHBSelhPiyFXOudsDnC40xqseW5u623YDqNJNgtvje4

zakaria

hi guys,

thanks for kick ass post, i was waiting a pretty long time to get magic lantern on my 6D. this post was super easy to follow.
i just installed magic lantern, but im experiencing this weird problem,
when i go inside the magic lantern menu, its only a matter of 30-40 seconds before the menu closes by its self, and the camera goes to the live view mode.

did anyone experience this, how do i solve it?

thanks in advance.

rino wang

when i go inside the magic lantern menu, its only a matter of 30-40 seconds before the menu closes by its self, and the camera goes to the live view mode.

same problem here... :)

1%

It times out with the canon dialog on all cameras.

zakaria

aahh, ok. thanks 1%.
kudos to everyone working hard on magic lantern, this shit is bomb.

spos86

I know there is about half a million comparisons out there between raw and h.264 specially on the 5D2 5D6 and 50D, however I haven't seen many on the 6D. So here is a little quick and sloppy comparison. Will try something more serious later.

ryan326

Hi Everyone

I just bought my 6d and installed magic lantern.

Everything installed great but I am getting these lines all across the image in my live view and whenever I view the pictures in the camera. When I upload the pictures to my computer the lines are not there.

I tried recording in Raw. I tried to select NoisyBoys recommendation of 1504x640 or 1536x600 @ 24fps, but the Ratio wouldn't match. I chose 1535 and it automatically selected x864. My asepct ratio is 16:9.

Whenever I tried to record in raw with this setting and a couple other ratios it messes up. The lines on the screen are moving when im not recording in liveview. When I hit start to record  it says busy ....please wait. Then the liveview freezes and these blue and green squares start loading at the top left. At the end it says frames captures :4xx then goes back to liveview. There is nothing recorded on the disc.

Please help! Also if there is a video or forum explaining how to properly use ML please refer me to it as I am lost on these forums.

Thank you,
Ryan 

ryan326

Update^^

The lines on the screen disappear only when my ISO is between 1250-2000.

I am using a SDHC 45/mb 32gb

The video keeps freezing on me. It doesn't start. I have used a couple resolution settings. I lowered it to 1024x576 to see if it helps, it doesn't. When I hit start/stop it says busy....please wait. Alloc:224 frams. Then it freezes as still image to whatever I had. It has 5 lines aying hack cxxxxx etc. on the top left. On the bottom left, even though the image on teh screen is frozen the timer is still counting up. It has stopped working twice now (out of 10 or so tries). When it stopped working I turned the power off and the image was still stuck on the screen. I had to take the battery out.

Can someone please help?

I hope my problems are helpful and not an easy.. as Noisy calls it, "Moronic Solution.

Thanks,
Ryan

1%