[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 100D / SL1

Started by chilimac02, May 20, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chilimac02

It dumped and I sent the results to a few of you via PM. It's a 32MB file, so I hope that's what you are looking for.
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

nikfreak

Yes this time it's fine.
will keep you updated on my progress.
[size=8pt]70D.112 & 100D.101[/size]

chilimac02

Sweet! I have no coding skills, but if you need any more work hands on with camera let me know.
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

ProfLogik

Yeah likewise..what chilimac02 said...I'am willing to help out as far as hands on work the camera.

nikfreak

Just some patience plz. I started working on it but this takes time due to lots of missing or faulty stuff.
I will come back to you once I booted this up on QEMU. Afterwards we can decide how to continue.

ashinhood

Can i have the firmware too?
I have Canon 100D and i want to try if ML work on it.

Thanks

Walter Schulz

Read first sentence of post above yours, please.

PhilippeV8

I have no DSLR camera but I got my eye on a 100D ... however, I won't buy it untill ML works on it.  I've had a look at the models that are available that have ML workin on them, but either they are too expensive or they have not the quality I'm looking for.  The 700D is an option too but has almost same specs with a lot more weight.
I have seen more people have posted such a message as mine, but I just want to add a +1 for me on the request ML for 100D list ;)
(and above all now I have notify mails of updates in this thread ;) )

strykynayne

I'm no programmer, but I have a camera eos 100d, want to be alpha and beta tester, send pm

JamesSteele

Would love to see support for the SL1 also. :)

Archetapp

I would love to be a beta tester for anyone! I have some programming skills, but this is a little over my head.:)

Archetapp

Used the dumper files created by A1ex, and I'm just wondering what is meant by "Play mode"? I put it on my camera, and it just went to a black screen, and then it went back to normal...

nikfreak

maybe you mised it but we already succeeded in acquiring the dump. So don't waste your time with that unless you want to start developing on your own.

Silverleapers

Woo Hoo...Wishing you lots of free time and loads of success. I have an SL1 we can test on.
650D/KissX6/T4i (japanese version), 100D/SL1 (Canadian version), many canon and some sigma lenses.

smallpotato000

Got the 32M dump file! Going to compile qemu and run it.
The problem is how can I load and run my own binary to 100D?

Archetapp

Didn't realize that you succeeded with the Dumper file.  :) Where can I find this dumper file?

PhilippeV8

Do I understand correct that "getting a dumper file" means that you guys succesfully "downloaded" the canon 100D firmware so that now you can analyse on a computer if a ML script works with it or where it fights, so that you can adjust the ML script where needed ... ?

The 100D is still my first choise, but I recently got an offer for a (used) 550D with 18-55mm IS lens, a bag, a 32GB flash card, battery & loader, and a UV filter .. for 350€.  If I get all that with a 100D, I would be looking at 520€.
How much is it an advantage to have a touchscreen ??  I assume it lets you navigate the menu MUCH quicker, no ?

chilimac02

That is correct - some developers have the firmware from the camera (the firmware is what is "dumped"). They will be working (in their own free time, out of the kindness of their heart) on getting ML to load and work on the SL1. If I were you I would not count on this happening for some time - if ever. If you really want a camera that ML works with, get one that already supports ML.

On the other side of the discussion, I do like the touch-screen, but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I have bought and sold several 50D cameras. The menu system on the 50D was just as easy to use with a dial as the touch screen is on the SL1.

PhilippeV8

Thnx man for the feedback !

I've decided to go for the used 550D.  Cheapest option and I'll be using ML pretty soon.
I like the improved noise reduction of the 650D/700D, (and improved video with an STM lens), but that's not worth 200€ extra ... for me at least.  Lets not forget I come from a 250€ cybershot and I haven't won the lottery in the meantime :p

Never the less ... I keep voting for ML on a 100D .. you never know when I might switch to it in the future haha ... and I'll be wanting ML on it then for sure  ;D

JamesSteele

I can't help but visit this thread every so often and hope things are progressing. I unfortunately can't do much and it won't help for me to say "I wish I could code" as has been said already. I am very much willing to help contribute financially and like the idea of all the folks who want a 100D/SL1 port chipping in to help compensate someone with the skills necessary.

I do love the size and convenience of the 100D. That said, the reality is what it is. I got a great deal on the Canon site for a refurb 700D kit with 18-55mm STM lens for $441. I'll probably have to sell the 100D now. Wish I could keep it, and if ML for looked promising for it, I'd try to find a way. Great little camera and ML could make it shine.

I do appreciate all the work the ML devs do, and recognize it's a volunteer effort. Canon should me grateful to ML. I suspect many people make purchasing decisions based on whether a particular model will run ML or not. In my case, the 100D was a gift from a client I do a lot of work for and had taken good care of. I almost don't want them to know I'll be selling the 100D, but I found it too limiting and think a 700D with ML will be a better fit for me until I'm ready for a higher end model.

chilimac02

I think we are back to no developers on this. Just an informational announcement.

howin1988

Archetapp

I do some programming, but I've never worked with Magic Lantern before. Is there a guide or something on how to get started?

I would love to contribute some time on this project, just need to know exactly what to do.

Thanks!

Archetapp

Also, I have all of the Magic Lantern files downloaded, just don't know exactly what to do with them.

Hopefully I can contribute to this project!

dmilligan