[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 100D / SL1

Started by chilimac02, May 20, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Quote from: Silverleapers on May 21, 2014, 11:46:03 AM
praying they did

Don't pray, code!

QuoteReligion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people. (Karl Marx) :->

count

Quote from: Marsu42 on May 21, 2014, 05:21:18 PM
Don't pray, code!

funny man. I've offered to help, and would already have invested a few hours if somebody got back to me.

count
100D.100B

Marsu42

Quote from: count on May 22, 2014, 05:28:49 PM
funny man.

I try to :-) ... it's just that if you read the thread you should have a clear understanding what is required to get a port working, if still in doubt look at the neighboring 70d thread that recently has found a maintainer.

tarihala

I purchased an SL1 late 2013 and was seriously hoping that ML would be ported to it. But I realise it requires a serious amount of work by volunteers. So I thought I'd add just another post to say that open source work is great (and often under appreciated) and that I'd be hugely grateful if a crew got together to work to get ML on the SL1!

count

Quote from: Marsu42 on May 22, 2014, 05:47:37 PM
I try to :-) ... it's just that if you read the thread you should have a clear understanding what is required to get a port working, if still in doubt look at the neighboring 70d thread that recently has found a maintainer.

it's just that if you'd just read my actual post you'd be aware of me asking specific questions to (help) continue exactly along those lines :D

to repeat: somebody managed to dump the firmware using a non-standard approach, but apparently the files never made it somewhere; no was I able to find documentation for that process. if somebody explains the process I'd dump the firmware myself; so it should be possible to continue from there.

I'll have a look at the 70D thread now, too.

count
100D.100B

Marsu42

Quote from: count on April 24, 2014, 09:35:59 PM
If not, or if additional firmware images are wanted, I can (try to) provide dumps for my (german) 100D.

I don't think this is the bottleneck, any 100d maintainer would need a camera in his/her hands anyway and if he/she is up to the task then dumping the rom is the least of concerns. If it isn't done already anyway as there seemed to be some initial progress, and afaik there are only international roms so adding a supposedly "german" variant wouldn't help.

count

Well, the current progress I'm seeing doesn't pass my build chain (compared to other platforms), as several maps and defines and #ifdefs are missing; but nothing catastrophic there. Judging from what I'm seeing there it doesn't feel like there really was a firmware at hand; and I'd love to be able to have a look at the objdump myself, and see how I can help.

Knowing other firmwares would of course help finding commonalities to identify entry points, but I know my C and my Linux and have a camera at hand, so I'm definitely willing to try ... considering that the 70D is showing "hello world" & more is giving me a certain amount of hope in either case. Guess I'll have to look for the code for that, too; it's not in the main repo (yet).

Any specific person to talk to on IRC, anyway? I'm "count" on Freenode.

Cheers,

count
100D.100B

count

Hello,

some updates: with help from alexML and FoolsTP I was able to gather what I need, so something is going on here. LED location is the same as on 5D3, and we might be seeing "Hello World" or more some time this week, pending identification of more function entry points for the 100D (found a few thousands, identified only a could dozen so far). slow work, but there's some movement at least.

count
100D.100B

tarihala

Hi count...

WOOHOO! Great stuff! It's terrific to hear that something's happening! THANKS.

-Tarihala

count

Speaking of good news:

:)

count

P.S: For those interested - the code is at https://bitbucket.org/berlincount/magic-lantern/commits/all
100D.100B

Felipe

650D-700D

whaley

jamespero

edwarddebruyn

Nice work, was waiting for this, would like to use it to make timelapse without external device.
Dual expo would be nice.
some users tried it out already ?
Using ML on 7D & 6D ( nightly builds) but no experience with working with alpha builds and source code.
So could any one help me for the installation or is it to soon ?

Thanks for any help.

jamespero

Quote from: edwarddebruyn on May 28, 2014, 01:51:07 PMor is it to soon ?

Probably. Hello world was only achieved yesterday, I don't there's been a whole lot else done at the point, although I can't speak for count.

kaos42ze

If this works I might consider dropping the EOS-M

Marsu42

Quote from: jamespero on May 28, 2014, 02:15:34 PM
Probably. Hello world was only achieved yesterday, I don't there's been a whole lot else done at the point, although I can't speak for count.

I really don't want to spoil everyone's day (again :-p)), but for people deciding what camera with ML support to get I cannot help to mention that "Hello World" is essentially next to nothing and only shows Canon didn't disable the boot code loader. "Hello World" does *not* mean finding some Canon fw stubs and copy/pasting the ML code from another camera type will immediately lead to a working ML, usually there is a lot of time-consuming and tiresome tuning to do.

jamespero

count

What Marsu said.

Rolling up sleeves for another night of hacking now ...

count
100D.100B

coutts

Great work, sorry for not replying I've been busy with school and I just graduated and got a job so I am busy with that all day now.

Good to see you got this far. My advice to you is choose an existing port that is most similar to the SL1 (hardware wise) and use that as your base.

I prefer to keep the 5d3 as the lead port when I worked on ML so I copied all coding styles from that, I suggest the same.

Good job here

Marsu42

Quote from: coutts on May 29, 2014, 09:35:47 PM
Great work, sorry for not replying I've been busy with school and I just graduated and got a job so I am busy with that all day now.

I fully understand and sympathize as I'm in about the same situation, working on ML needs some coherent time in peace and quiet or nothing will come of it. But it's a good reminder to stick with the working ports even though some maintainer has been found, life changes too fast to make promises for unpaid work for the next year or so :-)

Quote from: coutts on September 24, 2013, 04:39:18 PM
I promise to work on this in the near future

a1ex

A little help: QEMU support is up and running again, so you can now emulate the startup process (and the "hello world" demo) and run it step by step in GDB.

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/branch/qemu

Luigi_xp

Hey, i'm the guy who tried to port it some time ago, but because of a lack of knowledge on the ML world and some developers probably busy and stopped replying me i did give up.
But i'm so happy that someone experienced did take the lead and we got an Hello World. Thanks Count! Hope this port will end sucefully, and if someone need any help with testing or some not-complex developing, ask me.
:)
100D.100A

elmer

Highly interested and anxious in seeing further development of ML for the SL1.

dom_a2345§

Really interested to see how this is coming along, looking at the branch build status we are not far away, considering the work that has gone on so far, keep up the good work guys, really looking forward to this working!!!!