[UNMAINTAINED] Canon 100D / SL1

Started by chilimac02, May 20, 2013, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

Quote from: Luigi_xp on February 25, 2014, 06:06:48 PMAnd I end up in nowhere stuck looking at lines and lines of code.

Tbh you seem to lack the "skill" part of the job description. I would be surprised if you'd find some dev to coach you through the process in detail, they're much too busy coding features - and 2nd tbh is that the 70d seems like a more attractive next target than the sl1.

How about buying yourself a good ol' Rebel that is actually supported by ML, and then start coding some nice modules to learn the ropes?

YeungEthan

Hi!

First of all, a big thank you to all of the ML developers, you guys are doing a great job.

I just want to express that ML did confirm that Magic Lantern will run on 100d at Facebook, and some developers did promise that they will continue developing ML, but now I know that the original developers had ditched the project. I'm not hating them, I understand they are using their own time to develop ML, but I'm just really disappointed.

I haven't bought the 100d yet, but considering there's not yet any ML for 100d, I am thinking of getting the eos m instead, though I'm not so sure...

Can anyone kindly give some ideas of which camera should I go for? Thanks in advance.

Luigi_xp

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 03, 2014, 08:45:58 PM
Tbh you seem to lack the "skill" part of the job description. I would be surprised if you'd find some dev to coach you through the process in detail, they're much too busy coding features - and 2nd tbh is that the 70d seems like a more attractive next target than the sl1.

How about buying yourself a good ol' Rebel that is actually supported by ML, and then start coding some nice modules to learn the ropes?
Nanomad alerady helped me and i'm on the process.
As much as i would like to have an stable ML on another camera, i just love the size of the camera and the video AF which works. it's miles better than the t4i one, and helps me a lot when i have other priorities rather than pulling focus.
100D.100A

Luigi_xp

Quote from: YeungEthan on March 05, 2014, 11:35:05 AM
Hi!

First of all, a big thank you to all of the ML developers, you guys are doing a great job.

I just want to express that ML did confirm that Magic Lantern will run on 100d at Facebook, and some developers did promise that they will continue developing ML, but now I know that the original developers had ditched the project. I'm not hating them, I understand they are using their own time to develop ML, but I'm just really disappointed.

I haven't bought the 100d yet, but considering there's not yet any ML for 100d, I am thinking of getting the eos m instead, though I'm not so sure...

Can anyone kindly give some ideas of which camera should I go for? Thanks in advance.
Do you really like the EOS M?
If not, you're better with a t3i.
Yes, the port is going slowly, but i don't guarantee anything.
100D.100A

Marsu42

Quote from: YeungEthan on March 05, 2014, 11:35:05 AM
I understand they are using their own time to develop ML, but I'm just really disappointed.

This should probably be added as a big red blinking warning on the ML homepage: If you want ML, but a camera that supports it right now (at least to a working degree like 6d) and ... do. not. expect. any. further. ports. no. really. we. mean. it.

Luigi_xp

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 05, 2014, 05:55:56 PM
This should probably be added as a big red blinking warning on the ML homepage: If you want ML, but a camera that supports it right now (at least to a working degree like 6d) and ... do. not. expect. any. further. ports. no. really. we. mean. it.
Or less posts like this: https://www.facebook.com/magiclantern.firmware/posts/470244706398806
100D.100A

YeungEthan

Quote from: Luigi_xp on March 05, 2014, 05:49:02 PM
Do you really like the EOS M?
If not, you're better with a t3i.
Yes, the port is going slowly, but i don't guarantee anything.

I'm not sure, I really like the 100d because of the touch screen and light weight. Eos m has the same touch screen and light weight, though the auto focus is just not comparable to 100d, and it lacks some physical buttons.

The 600d is a bit too heavy for me, so it is not my first choice

Thanks for your reply! Hopefully the port will be a success!

Quote from: Marsu42 on March 05, 2014, 05:55:56 PM

:) that is a good idea, at least people will not be that disappointed.

Marsu42

Quote from: Luigi_xp on March 05, 2014, 11:32:17 PM
Or less posts like this: https://www.facebook.com/magiclantern.firmware/posts/470244706398806

Uhg, well, I didn't see that - and I can understand your disappointment, I have no idea who actually wrote that. Developing or porting a single feature is one thing, but the complete ML development process from "Hello World" on a new camera to a stable port takes a lot of time, sudden problems can always arise and and it's an absolute miracle that devs like alex work on it for years - but you cannot *expect* this to continue :-o

Personally, I waited for about a year with my 6d purchase so ML was in a working state and I knew even if nothing further would be done at all I'd be still ok with it.

a1ex

Well, they did not give any time frame; it was only a proof of concept that showed it is possible. On 700D it was done and that port is pretty much working and actively maintained; on 100D the process stopped before even reaching the Hello World stage.

Keep in mind that Magic Lantern is a hobby project for all of us; everybody is free to come and go, and if anybody does anything, it happens because he is personally interested in doing that (finds it interesting, needs that feature, whatever).

For the record, this was the official announcement: https://twitter.com/autoexec_bin/status/340716439344410624 ; if others felt the need to over-promise on external sites, I have no control over that, sorry. The post from Facebook was certainly not written by one of us (it mixes 2 new ports, one new feature and also 2 programs from third parties; a ML developer would have been a little more coherent in writing).

chilimac02

Luigi thanks for your work. I'm in no hurry as I too love the focus ability of this little guy. I thought of switching, but decided against it mostly because the SL1 resale value dropped way off compared to the t5i (700D). I also thought long and hard about getting a "better" camera and decided that the 70D was really the only option because of support for STM lenses (in video). The STM lenses focus so silently compared to other "silent" lenses that I'll continue using the lesser quality STM for video fun. Of course I prefer other options for photos.

All in all, thanks for what you are doing! If it ever comes to something where you want someone to try it, let me know. I play with my camera taking videos and pics of my kids and dog several times a week.
Rebel SL1/100D... 40mm f/2.8 STM, 18-55mm f/3.5 IS STM, Tamron 70-300mm Di VC USD, Sigma 30mm f/1.4 Art

dhzian

Hi, first of all Hello to anyone  ;D and secondly compliments to the ML team for them work!  :-*
I'm newbie here, I'm studying in a course of filmmaking and 2 days ago our teacher came to school with him 5DmkIII with magic lantern installed.
Beautiful!
I bought the Canon 100D past Christmas (dec. 2013) and I'm very happy how it works. Easy to use, agile and other. Yesterday when I red the post on facebook that ML is now supporting Canon 100D was in seventh heaven.
Unfortunately that was stopped probably.
Anyway, I hope that someone could help you in this project, because the power of Magic Lantern is absolutely excellent.
Best

Marsu42

Quote from: dhzian on March 09, 2014, 08:58:53 AMI bought the Canon 100D past Christmas (dec. 2013) and I'm very happy how it works. Easy to use, agile and other. Yesterday when I red the post on facebook that ML is now supporting Canon 100D was in seventh heaven.

Please try to contact whoever-wrote-that on FB and ask him to retract this post or at least comment on the post with a link to this thread.

He should state that ML on 100D is not being worked on and is 0% complete - so even if a maintainer is found it'd take 1/2-1 year before it's ready for general usage. With even the 5d3 and 6d still in alpha/beta stages, it's very unlikely the ML team will do any work on 100D in the near future, and skilled maintainers with enough spare time are a rare species.

Luigi_xp

In the main page of ML site http://www.magiclantern.fm/ the SL1/100D is said as supported also.
Maybe someone can remove it please?
100D.100A

dhzian

Hi,
I commented the post in fb about the uncorrect news that ML is supporting canon 100 D.
Best

Felipe

Probably this camera will not have ML, BUT is good everyone to know that Can shot external strobes in live view, which is a novelty in this Canon Cameras.
650D-700D

nunobarros

GlenPxC

It's a shame there is no work being done to support the sl1. I need to figure out a way to use a remote shutter release to trigger video recording and I think ml would be my only hope.

YeungEthan

Hi! Just asking, any luck on developing the ML for 100d?  I'm so curious about it! :)

nanomad

There are no active developers with the camera, so no.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

GlenPxC

I have some spare time today if someone could send me the firmware dump I can take a look at it.

Dafin

Hi Glen! Did any one manage to send you the files by any chance?
SL1/100D, naughty forty, 18-135 stm, pentacon 50mm, and an insatiable appetite to improve my image capturing skills :p

count

Quote from: Dafin on April 13, 2014, 09:19:07 PM
Hi Glen! Did any one manage to send you the files by any chance?

If not, or if additional firmware images are wanted, I can (try to) provide dumps for my (german) 100D.

I'd need to know what dumper tool to use, and where / how to drop the file(s) :)

count
100D.100B

dl9sec

Quote from: Luigi_xp on March 09, 2014, 05:03:06 PM
In the main page of ML site http://www.magiclantern.fm/ the SL1/100D is said as supported also.
Maybe someone can remove it please?
Yes, please remove that from the main page. It's misleading and frustrating if you dig into that in the forum and find out that there is absolutely no ML-support for that camera...

Thanks.

Regards, Thorsten

nunobarros

Silverleapers

Did anyone make any headway with this? (praying they did)
650D/KissX6/T4i (japanese version), 100D/SL1 (Canadian version), many canon and some sigma lenses.