Become a Moderator

Started by nanomad, May 20, 2013, 12:38:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Audionut

If the OP is still around, you can ping them to update stuff.

Else, compile the information, ping me and I can update posts as needed.  I don't have time to update things myself, but copy and paste is quick and easy.

Edit:  If you're keen to take control of information and keeping it up to date, pm me and have a chat.

a1ex

Quote from: a1ex on September 14, 2016, 10:00:20 PM
Looks like the moderators could use some extra help.

All posts from new users are moderated (say hello to spammers), and lately, some of them get approved after several days or even a few weeks. When these posts eventually do get approved, they are no longer in the recent posts lists, so they sometimes become hard to notice.

I prefer not to handle this task myself, so I'm looking for one (or more) volunteers to help. Please see the first post for more details.

Thanks.

As the turnaround time for approving new posts is approaching 2 (two) months, it's probably a sign the current moderators may need some more help. Any new volunteers?

Caveat: you will need some patience to investigate where each message comes from. You can no longer tell whether a message is valid, or not, just by looking at it - spammers became a lot smarter than you might think ;)

yourboylloyd

Hello,

I would like to apply.

I currently work from home as a freelance post production out of Los Angeles UTC -8:00 so I'm on my PC and have all the free time in the world. I love the "Share your videos" section and can be super active in that. I would love to become more active and I think I'd be most useful on the "shoot preparation", and "post processing workflow" areas.
Join the ML discord! https://discord.gg/H7h6rfq

names_are_hard

I could give an hour or so spread over each week to block / approve new posters.  I used to write email spam blocking rules as part of my job (so I already know how boring and depressing it is!).  If that's enough time to be useful, let me know.

ilia3101

Quote from: a1ex on December 23, 2019, 02:58:39 PM
As the turnaround time for approving new posts is approaching 2 (two) months, it's probably a sign the current moderators may need some more help. Any new volunteers?

Two months! Sure I could help out.

How does one investigate a message?

a1ex

Difficult choice :)

@names_are_hard: I can give you moderator superpowers if you want, but I think your time is much more valuable in other areas of the project. Or, if you don't mind hacking the SMF forum software, you may consider automating a few things. For example, I've been thinking about some kind of mod that would search for "similar" messages - maybe it could reduce the number of duplicate questions. Other ideas welcome, probably best discussed over here.

For now, gut feeling tells me to pick Ilia as site-wide moderator, and yourboylloyd for the above-mentioned sub-forums. I might change my mind later ;)

Welcome aboard!

names_are_hard

PHP? Yuck, you can keep it :P

I don't think I'd be good at moderating the forums, hence just volunteering for working on the approval queue.  Don't mind not being picked :)  I got an M2 recently, so now I have one cam that runs ML and one that doesn't.  I'm making Unified work on both to help debug, so I have plenty to keep me busy.

Danne