RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 20, 2013, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xNiNELiVES

Quote from: Dugdale on June 04, 2013, 04:50:18 PM
For those that are interested I also made a "tutorial" of me installing ML raw on my 5D3 for the first time which is a little different from his video because he already had ML installed.

Hope it helps someone:
http://www.learningdslrvideo.com/magic-lantern-raw-5d-mark-iii/

I figured out how to get past the 4GB limit, now I have figure out why it shuts off after 2:00 of recording or 9.7GB.

It stopped because you hit the 4gb limit, not because your card is slow.  The thing is about these komputerbay cards is that they often corrupt your footage when you upload the footage back to your computer. Several people just on these forums have complained about this issue.

Audionut

Quote from: Dugdale on June 04, 2013, 04:50:18 PM
For those that are interested I also made a "tutorial" of me installing ML raw on my 5D3 for the first time which is a little different from his video because he already had ML installed.

Thanks Dugdale.  I've linked it in the OP of this thread and posted it in the tutorials section

noodles78

Hello
I'have tried many many times to install the ML RAW
software with no succes.
The manufacturer's software still working but now
when i try (and i follow each step of the tuto) to start the 5dmark iii with the SD
prepared correctly nothing happens. The 5D simply refuse to start with the hack (stay off).
Is it possible that's something remain on the "hardware" like a trace of my previous attemps 
witch blocks any other attempt?

Sorry for my english (i'm french).

And you are doing a great job!!!!

Philippe.

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

noodles78

Ok so i will try to explain myself for the last attempt (because i don't remember exactly the many previous attempts).

So to be sure, i re-install the canon 1.1.3 original software and it's work.
After i take an 16 GO SD card witch i format with the 5D.
I put the SD in The PC and put inside all the files required: ML, 5D3-113-bootflag.fir and the autoexec.bin.
Then i prepare it with the EOScard 1.32 and it says "success".
After i put the SD card back into the 5D (red light twinkles) but when i put the power on nothing happens (i try to pull out the battery too).

I hope my story will help you.

Thanks for your interest !

noodles78

If it can helps i precise that on severals previous attempts i prepared the card (an CF at this time) on a mac with the macboot package and the card seemed to be correctly prepared but no success with the 5D.

hope i'm not to much confused.

At least my 5D still works, maybe i should be thankful...

RenatoPhoto

I am not sure..  But the sequence you wrote is wrong!!

The sequence in the manual says:

Put the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir  (Do not put all of the files and do not make the card bootable yet!)

So to fix this error now... Format the SD card first to make it un-bootable!

Now put the Put the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir  on the card

Put the card on the camera and turn it on. 

The bootflag will be set and a confirmation will appear.

Now take the card out and make it bootable

Put the rest of the files on the card.

Put the card back on the camera and turn it on.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

noodles78

Ok i figured out.
now it's another pb with the RAW files but not on this topic i presume.

Thanks a lot

Petruk

Are there any tutorials on installing ML RAW on a 5dmii using a MAC? Please, someone out there show me the way.

togg

Quote from: Petruk on June 09, 2013, 12:20:29 AM
Are there any tutorials on installing ML RAW on a 5dmii using a MAC? Please, someone out there show me the way.

It's basically the same.

frspp

Imo this topic lacks one important thing: Basic explanation about raw video. What it is? Why to choose? Pros & cons. Could this thread be started with that so it would fullfill the title "Beginners guide". I just across this term by accident and have no idea about this whole thing nor can find simple explanation, all threads seems to go directly to installation and how to shoot rather than speaking about what/why/why not.

Raw video pros:
- "loseless" white balance adjustment (and everything else what adjustable for raw still) in post processing
-> basicly easier color adjustments (especially if you coming from raw photography to dslr video)
- custom resolutions (for example for 5d2 you can now get 1280x720). Is this done with/without cropping the sensor output ie. doesn't change FOV (I hope the first)?

cons:
- slower workflow/more steps (shoot, combine raw video files, extract raw video file to dng's, make adjustments, extract raw to jpg [which probably takes quite long time], make video file from jpg's, then it's finally ready for edit)
-> so shoot raw video only if you know you really need higher quality and can really afford all the hazzle and time compsuption
- limited recording time in specific cases (because of what? limited buffer or something?). see http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0
- file space consumption is N times greater, how much? normal canon 1080i 12 minutes = 4 gb, raw 1080i about how much?
- sound is recorded yes/no?

"The RAW video files cannot currently be processed directly by any video editor. Each RAW (video) file encapsulates the frames in DNG format so we need to extract these frames first." To find out how read this topic: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0
5d2

sixftnine

hi there.

Ive been looking through the forum for an answer but cant find anything

Im trying to get raw on my 5dm2. I have installed the latest ML 2.3 and everything is running fine. Myt problem is that there is no Module folder contained with the ML directory.

I have also downloaded the new raw rec zip, all the forums say to copy the new files into the module folder of the ML directory how can this be done when it doesnt exist.

I have tried to put the module folder from the zip file onto the cf card and replace the auto.exe file with the new one from the zip file, this made my camera freeze and not boot.

any help would be appreciated.

Love ML by the way!!

linktuner

Hello, we've made a short video how to install ML. Other guides in my opinion aren't so detailed.

tomellingsen

Okay, am I just stupid here, or is RAW video not smack-in-your-face inside the camera?
Installed the latest nightly build. Can't find anything related to how to actually shoot raw anywhere.

I've a 550D, so I don't know if it's even possible, but after reading the chart on what cameras can do it, I assumed since it's in there, albeit in low resolution, it should be possible. Is it just me, or is the function just not present on the 550D?

**EDIT**
Nevermind. I delved into the right section here and found a build for it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKEw34h7LHU&feature=youtu.be

robmbrown

Hello, sorry if this is a newbie question but I've searched everywhere I can think of and can't find anything. The question is how do I get the resolution above 1920? I have been able to do it but now I get an error that says "2048 is not possible in current video mode". I've tried changing the camera resolutions and frame rates and nothing seems to have any effect. There must be some setting as yesterday I got it into 2048 without realizing I did it.

kgv5

Press the zoom button - 5x or 10x, doesn't matter. Than go to ML raw menu and check the resolutions. Additionally you can set preview to ML greyscale. To have a good framing (black white though) turn global draw ON.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

robmbrown

Thanks. That makes sense now. At 1x there are no more pixels so you have to crop in to be able to crop out.

wallpaperviking

Hi, I did post this in another section but I did not get any replies, so figure I would try again here..   I am brand spankin new here so please be gentle if this is a really dumb question   So I have been following the Canon Raw development and like everyone else here I am sure, think it is exciting times indeed!  Now with the price drop of the MIcro 4/3's BMCC, it makes it both confusing and exciting times ahead...

So, as pointed out, this is a potentially very stupid newbie question but here goes anyway....

Does the new Canon Firmware that enables you to record to an external recorder have any place with the Magic Lantern Raw developments with the 5DIII?  There seems to be so much talk about recording with a fast enough CF card for shooting RAW, does there exist or is it at all likely in the future to exist, a possibility to record RAW on the 5DIII onto one of these external recorders?

Ok, thanks so much, look forward to hearing any thoughts or responses.

shaminkulkarni

Hello
im new here
i have 50d on which i installed ML which is working great ,giving me h264 video but im not getting raw video option.As i searched more i came to knw that there was no modules folder in my ML Folder (on my CF card).So i copied them but still im Not getting M option in my ML option mode
Plz Plz help me

shamin

mmatocq

Hello everybody.

I need help. Im using the ML in my 5D MIII.

Everything is working perfectly except that I can not open the last clip of each CF card.

When the camera shows me that there is no more space available it stops reccording, and this clip is not saved properly because later I can not open it.

It is, for example, a 2GB RAW clip but I can convert it in DNG files. It says that the file is empty.

Can someone help me to recover this files? I need to fix these clips!

Im using 16GB CF Card.
Thankssss

samadmalik

bledar

Hi.I am bledar and just got Canon mark 3 and did the update of magic latern ver 1.1.3.Now when I shoot in video mode of Canon the image is ok,but when I shoot in
raw video of magic latern 1.1.3 i see one dead pixel on the right of the screen.I have done the update several times acording to your video but the result is always the same.I want to ask you if this is a problem regarding to the Canon sensor or the problem of magic latern.
Best regards
Bledar.

Lucky Luke

Question on Alex or anybody from the team,

I am ML user from the very beginning on 550d.
Since today on 5d3.
So there is for me a very important question.

is ML gonna stay on Canon 5d3 firmware 1.1.3?
There are many improvements  for photographer on 1.2.1 to 1.1.3
and thereĀ“s no good filmmaker without good photographer.

Thankful for your work and achievements(donatet 3x),

cause so the world should be!

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Lucky Luke on October 13, 2013, 03:58:41 AM
is ML gonna stay on Canon 5d3 firmware 1.1.3?
There are many improvements  for photographer on 1.2.1 to 1.1.3
For now all development is done on 1.1.3, dont know what the future holds.  It is up to the devs.