RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST

Started by RenatoPhoto, May 20, 2013, 05:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mei Lewis

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on May 20, 2013, 05:14:36 AM
Updated Jan 04 2014

1. You need to set the bootflag in your camera.  Only for 5D3 this cannot be undone so read here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7125.0

That link doesn work for me.

I've found what I think is an alternate link to the same thing
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5810.0
which happens to be a thread I started, but it seems to be locked so I can't post there.

I thinnk I have a solution to this whole problem so I really want to  post an answer!

haastile

I was following the tutorial step by step, (RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:14:36 AM »)
Quick Setup Guide for 5D3

Here is a simplified procedure that works.

1. Format card on PC (must use card reader) and then format on Camera.
2. Put card back on card reader (PC) and copy the fir file to the card root directory.  Get it here: http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir
3. Put card back on Camera and go to the Firmaware update section (Canon Menu) do an update with the 5D3-113-bootflag.fir  Make sure you have a full battery, a dead battery during firmware update could be a disaster.
4. Once the firmware update is finished you have set the bootflag on your camera. 
5. Put card back on the card reader
6. Use EOScard to make the card bootable, which is the main reason to use EOScard.exe
    get it here: http://pel.hu/eoscard/  or  http://pel.bencemate.com/eoscard/
7. Make sure EOS Develop box is selected, Bootdisk box is selected and simply click on Save.  If all goes well the card will be made bootable and a "write sucessfull" message will appear on the bottom of EOScard.
8. EOScard sometimes fails to get the latest ML files so go to http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
and get the latest ML files.  If EOScard put some files in my card I would erase them and replace them with the latest compiles.

When I re-inserted the SD card with EOScard.exe into my camera and turned it on, the camera didn't respond at all. No power, nothing. I tried ejecting the battery and replacing with another full one; the red light blinked once per usual, but flipping the "ON" switch still did nothing.

Did I just destroy my camera? Any suggestions for recovery?

nikki

i just used the 1.2.3. nightly build for my 5dm3..
how do you view what you shot in camera?
How do you view on computer (I'm using a mac pro)??

UmbertoVicto

Hi guys, i'm having some troubles converting MLV video files. I bought Rawmagic from the app store.

-MLV files are about 4gb (1 minute couse i prefer don't merge),

when i convert them into dng frames, Rawmagic find a missing frame and make a shorter conversion and a limited number of frames.

everytime i convert the frames into a .mov file with after effects the movie is sorter than the one I shooted.

I tried many times and nothing change... In Rawmagic there are no menus to force conversion..
I'm worried, I can't afford to loose so much work..

Please help.. :'(

CreativeEndeavor

Couple Quick Questions when shooting RAW:

On the Canon 5D Mark III I noticed the ML Grey scale Preview and the Canon Live View looked similar for 1920 X 1080 RAW.

• Is the Canon Live view for the Mark III the correct framing for 1920 X 1080 or are my eyes fooling me?
  • What resolution is the Cinescope Overlay used for?  Is that 1920 X 1080?  I am unfamiliar with it.
If you have any suggestions for framing up my shots for RAW video, I'd appreciate it.

Audionut

The only reliable preview for framing is the greyscale one.

The OP is rather outdated.  I'm rather busy atm + I don't shot raw video, do I have any volunteers to create a new beginners guide?

langers

Hey Guys,

When I try and record RAW in my 7D I seem to lose exposure control and everything blows out - decreasing ISO, decreasing aperture and increasing shutter speed seems to have no effect - Only way I could get close was using an ND8 filter but was still at least 2 stops over

ace2bass

"60D work in progress, continuous recording at 1584x1058 at 24fps"

I'm just curious as to how you guys got this resolution to continuously record on the 60d? I've been trying for days and can't seem to get it. I keep getting frame skips, even when I dumb down the resolutuon to what I thought would work (such as 960x540). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

ayshih

The OP is wrong about the 60D (e.g., as pointed out in this post).  Because of the bottleneck of the SD card, the 60D is very constrained on the resolution it can continuously record at.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

Walter Schulz

First post needs a makeover.
Information about 5D3's bootflag is no longer valid.

ace2bass

Quote from: ayshih on September 28, 2014, 08:24:18 AM
The OP is wrong about the 60D (e.g., as pointed out in this post).  Because of the bottleneck of the SD card, the 60D is very constrained on the resolution it can continuously record at.

Thank you so much for the information and the link to that post. It was driving me nuts. I'm going to play around with it a bit more to find a good medium to use. Thanks again.

ace2bass

Hey guys, so apparently I'm still not doing this right. After finding out the OP was wrong, I started doing more tests. I tried 1280x536 but only managed to squeeze about 21 seconds out of it. So I dropped down to what I assumed was the continuous recording for 24fps, 960x540. However, I was only able to get something like 30-35 seconds out of it.

So then I went widescreen to 2.39:1 at 960x401 and got up to almost a minute. Do these numbers sound right? Or am I still doing something wrong? Because everywhere I go I see numbers completely different than mine. Also, I'm using Global Draw: Off while recording and ML grayscale as the liveview. Any help, again, would be greatly appreciated.

Walter Schulz

Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)
Video mode, global draw off. Report results.
Looks like a slow card but benchmark will tell.

ace2bass

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 28, 2014, 11:33:22 PM
Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)
Video mode, global draw off. Report results.
Looks like a slow card but benchmark will tell.

Should I turn global draw off in the main section or in the RAW section?

Walter Schulz

ace2bass

Okay, so I turned off Global Draw anywhere I saw it. However, I accidently missed the first couple readings but I have from like 3-8 of the results. I hope it's still enough. Here they are.

So it's saying:
Read Speed (buffer=15625k) 18.6MB/s
Write Speed (buffer=4096k) 9.9MB/s
Read Speed (buffer=4096k) 20.6MB/s
Write Speed (buffer=3906k) 9.4 MB/s
Read Speed (buffer=3906k) 20.5MB/s
Write Speed (buffer=2048k) 9.2MB/s
Read Speed (buffer=2048k) 20.2MB/s
Write Speed (buffer=1953k) 9.8MB/s
Read Speed (buffer=1953k) 19.6MB/s
Write Speed (buffer=128k) 5.8MB/s
Read Speed (buffer=128k) 9.8MB/s

Walter Schulz

60D is limited to about 21 MByte/s. And that's the whole story.
No way to get rid of it. You have limited resolution/record time.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0

ace2bass

Oh, I knew the limit of 21Mb/s. I was stuck because that document says that the 60d's max res for continuous shooting at 24fps is 960x540. I can't record more than 30 seconds-ish before it skips and stops on me. Did my benchmark results show if my card is a lemon or did they seem fine? Because I have no idea how else to get it to record continuously for me.

Walter Schulz

Enter video mode, press info button until most screens are off (GD off!) and run benchmark again. After finishing you will get a file BENCHx.PPM located in card's root directory. You may edit it with Photoshop CS or other tools.
Look for the highest numbers for write. If they are close to 21 MByte in playback/video mode the cards are doing fine. If not they are not.

ace2bass

Quote from: Walter Schulz on September 29, 2014, 12:48:05 AM
Enter video mode, press info button until most screens are off (GD off!) and run benchmark again. After finishing you will get a file BENCHx.PPM located in card's root directory. You may edit it with Photoshop CS or other tools.
Look for the highest numbers for write. If they are close to 21 MByte in playback/video mode the cards are doing fine. If not they are not.

I'm hitting +/- 21.x on the Read Speed but around 9-10ish on the Write Speed. Is that fine? If it is, what else would be the issue with why I'm getting skipped frames on low resolution?

jaui

Canon 5d III 123 AND nightly. Video MLRaw and video RAW are not recognised in MLRAWVIEWER.
Windows and Mac do not recognise the Raw videos
what should I do?

fish-head3

Hi

I have loaded the latest nightly build on to my 6D and loaded the RAW module and rebooted the camera. I can turn on RAW shooting in the video menu but can't set resolution or aspect ratio (both currently set at zero). If I press Q I get to the menu and can scroll up and down but if I choose a value it won't select (using the Set button).

Any thoughts please?

dmilligan

fish-head3